Father of shooting victim sues Casselberry gun range

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

The father of a 20-year-old man shot to death by his mother at a gun range has filed a wrongful-death suit against the business.
Comments
1 - 20 of 433 Comments Last updated Apr 23, 2009
First Prev
of 22
Next Last
centralflnat

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2009

The death of the young man was very unfortunate for all the parties involved and my heart and prayers go out to them. I truly hope for their speedy recovery and a surcease of their pain. However, there is no public accessible indicators that show this woman to have been adjudicated mentally incompetent and therefore legally prohibited from firearms possession or use therefore the gun range can't reasonably be held responsible for the unforseeable actions of a mentally ill woman whom they did not know when the family themselves could not fathom that this woman would kill her own son in such a heinous fashion. If the family and friends couldn't see it coming how could a stranger operating a business where most customers that come in are not well known to them.

I personally believe that it is understandable but unfortunate that folks whom I believe to be low ethics, litigious leeches such as John Morgan and other personal injury parasites of like class would prey upon the emotions and mental state of this bereaved family and further choose to abuse a crowded court system with law suits. I think its shameful for our courts to allow and entertain these types of emotional suits that appeal to the purient nature of money grabbing legal sharks monetarily maddened by the spilled blood of the innocent.
casselberry again

Winter Park, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2009

Maybe CPD needs to be sued by spreading false rumors, and releasing the video to be aired, which is all over the internet, which now the family has to live through for the rest of their lives.
wtf

Winter Park, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2009

1. If she tired to commit suicide at a public place why don't the police have a record (I'm assuming they were called for something like that).
2. If she was so dangerous why did her OWN son take her to the range? He should be expected to know his mother better than the gun range should. Aparently the family knew she was banned (according to them).
Diogenes

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2009

If her family thinks she was so deranged that Shoot Straight should not have let her in then why did her own family let her out of the house or possibly get her committed?

Maybe Shoot Straight should sue them for letting her leave the house. They knew she had a problem and Shoot Straight didn't.
Ohcomeon

Leesburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2009

We have become a nation of blame pushers. This murder and suicide must be very painful for the family and friends, as well as the other patrons and the range owners that now have to live with this very selfish act. The mother killed her son. The gun range did not, the state of Florida did not. The blame rests completely with the mother.
Reality_Check

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2009

At 20, this is a man. The man was old enough to know of his mother's history. He made a decision to go to the gun range with his mother. 2 words....personal responsibility.

Did family members know they were going? By this way of thinking, lawsuits should be filed against them too.
flarrfan

Spring Hill, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2009

Regarding the video release and the absurd suggestion that CPD should be sued, the video once it came into police possession became a public record under Florida law. The police could have been sued for NOT releasing it, but there's no legal basis to sue them for following the law. If you have a problem with that, tell your elected state legislators to change the law, like they did for autopsy photos to protect the Earnhardt family. The ignorance of many posters here about basic facts of law suggests they shouldn't come anywhere near a voting booth, as they have no effective knowledge of how government and law work.
READ and THINK ABOUT IT

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2009

Ohcomeon wrote:
We have become a nation of blame pushers. This murder and suicide must be very painful for the family and friends, as well as the other patrons and the range owners that now have to live with this very selfish act. The mother killed her son. The gun range did not, the state of Florida did not. The blame rests completely with the mother.
If the shooter had been a stranger and not his mother would you still feel the father would have no right to sue.
I would think that if my son was shot dead, I could sue the place where he was killed.
If someone is killed on MY property, I would get sued.
jerry rigged

Sanford, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2009

This lawsuit is BS and this is exactly the type of lawsuit that people should rebel against. It is idiots like this guy that raises my insurance premiums. Someone should sue him for failing to help his wife get the treatment she obviously needed. Thanks for nothing.

“FL for Harley FL not Floriduh”

Since: Jul 08

Lake Mary

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2009

The grief must be over, the scumbag attornies tell the father he can raise an issue and get some money! The lawyers are always thinking! This story is sad.
gofigure

Winter Park, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2009

Judged:

The murder was premeditated and was going to happen, regardless of the location. Too bad she didn't take out the father and his scum bag lawyer too.

Since: Jan 09

Tel Aviv-Yafo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2009

casselberry again wrote:
Maybe CPD needs to be sued by spreading false rumors, and releasing the video to be aired, which is all over the internet, which now the family has to live through for the rest of their lives.
What false rumors? I have seen the video. Not pleasant.
Orlando Homegrown

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2009

It's meal ticket time! Just another take all I can while I can mentality! It's become the American way to sue anyone you can for any reason. Hopefully Shoot Straight will not settle out of court but that is usually the best way to go, seeing that with the idiots they select for jurors and the convoluted judicial system of today, being in the right has nothing to do with them awarding people millions upon millions of dollars! Shoot Straight was not and should not be held responsible for some whacko mother popping a cap on her "demon seed" son, or so she thought anyway!
TIFFY

Apopka, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2009

Judged:

READ and THINK ABOUT IT wrote:
<quoted text>
If the shooter had been a stranger and not his mother would you still feel the father would have no right to sue.
I would think that if my son was shot dead, I could sue the place where he was killed.
Hey IDIOT, Don't twist the facts around. The whole point is, it WAS his mother and the family knew she was a PSYCHO and yet choose to ignore it!! They are the only ones that the blame should fall on. Oh, and of course the ambulance chasing low life of a Lawyer that they obtained.

Since: Jan 09

Tel Aviv-Yafo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2009

Who didn't see this one coming? How sit back and wait for the state to disallow firearm rentals at firing ranges.
I still don't understand if there is any validity to the other suicide attempt she was supposed to have made at this same range. Doesn't sound right. Who was she with the first time? How was the attempt averted? No witnesses to that attempt? No police record. That certainly doesn't add up.
Ralph

Titusville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2009

Here we go again, blame the business for what your nutty wife did. I have an idea....why don't we sue the husband for not having his crazy wife put in a nut house. He was reckless for not having her locked up. I feel sorry for the son and for the husbands loss....but let us put the blame where it should be and not on the business. The guy's wife was a nut case and the husband didn't do anything it. Now he wants money! This country is falling apart.
Ohcomeon

Leesburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2009

<quoted text>
Do you honestly belive that a "place" can kill ? I guess the intersection is the guilty party, not the redlight runner? Mother,stranger,friend - the one that pulls the trigger is the party that gets all of the blame! As for your property- if you "had knowledge of the crime about to occur, and did nothing to prevent it" then you might be liable- Question- did the parents that lost children at Columbine sue the school because the school killed multiple children. Your logic says that the school must be held to account because that is where the death happened - this makes sense to you ?
NonBeliever

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2009

<quoted text>
Doesn't matter WHO the victim is, the shooting range is not responsible. However, given that the victim knew the shooter and her mental status, he also holds some responsibility. Common sense should have told him that taking crazy mom to a gun range wasn't a good idea.

“Kiss my grits, internet trolls”

Since: Sep 08

Far from a techtonic faultline

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2009

The son was well aware of his Mother's mental instability... but HE choose to go to a gun range with her.

At twenty years of age, he should have known better... and so should the family.

Considering THEIR past knowledge... and the family's unwillingness to aid her, I think the Gun Range has a good reason to sue her family for their culpability in the matter.
Leon

Lakeland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2009

Just anothe scumbag lawyer trying to get rich on the back of someone's tragedy. The gun range ought to counter-sue the husband for allowing such a dangerous person out on the streets!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 22
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Casselberry Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Casselberry People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Casselberry News, Events & Info