Police: Marie Moore used rented gun i...

Police: Marie Moore used rented gun in murder-suicide; actions ...

There are 53 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Apr 6, 2009, titled Police: Marie Moore used rented gun in murder-suicide; actions .... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Casselberry Police said Monday morning they still have no idea why an Altamonte Springs woman shot her son Sunday afternoon and then turned the gun on herself while the two were target practicing.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
spaceG8R

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Apr 7, 2009
If everyone would simply carry their own guns then we would have no need to go to a shooting range, rent one of theirs, and use it to eliminate one of our fellow human beings. Of course, in renting one from the range, you need not prove that you are even competent to get your hands wrapped around it. I feel safer every day. We don't have a problem with guns in this country. All seems completely normal and rational.
What

Pompano Beach, FL

#2 Apr 7, 2009
She is a digusting.
An Average Man

Ocala, FL

#3 Apr 7, 2009
Women are so f-ing brainless and bizarre sometimes.
Tipster

Chicago, IL

#4 Apr 7, 2009
As much as I hate to say it, I've always felt that the requirements for renting firearms at a range were too relaxed.

This is very very sad, but I do believe she would have found a way even without the gun.
Move along now

San Antonio, TX

#5 Apr 7, 2009
What is with all the focus on the gun being rented from the range?

They have neither the obligation nor the ABILITY to investigate her mental condition. And even if they did, unless it went far enough to show up in a courtroom, there would be no record of it anyway.

The rest of you can blame the gun.
I'll blame her.

(She can't have been TOO unstable if her own son thought she was OK to be there.)
TJP

Buena Park, CA

#6 Apr 7, 2009
Some sweeping generalizations there. I have to produce a permit or paperwork to shoot at my local ranges and clubs. Not that this helps in any way to predict future behavior.

I could pick apart the first comment, having been in this "culture" all of my adult life; i.e. I speak from experience. But hey, that makes me some sort of ignorant barbarian, unconcerned with the nuances of the science of social engineering.

Tell me, what would *you* have done when they walked up to the counter? What method would *you* employ to determine future intent, and prevent this from ever happening again?

We're wrong, and you're right. Here's your chance at becoming a Nobel laureate: fix the problem. A realistic answer will surely lead to a solution that will benefit nearly everyone.

OK... Go!
myspaceDocBlis

Vero Beach, FL

#7 Apr 7, 2009
Stupid b****, why'd she have to kill him? She should've just killed herself! He was just starting to live life.. She will no doubt burn, regardless of her mental illness!!!
Shawn S

Palm Coast, FL

#8 Apr 7, 2009
Why in the HECK ARE YOU POSTING THIS VIDEO OF THE MURDER?!!
Have some common decentcy would you Orlando Sentinel
bad parents should diee

Clarksville, TN

#9 Apr 7, 2009
An Average Man wrote:
yet its you heartless men who make us that way
Max Power

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#10 Apr 7, 2009
He should've let her shoot first
pak31

Bolingbrook, IL

#11 Apr 7, 2009
spaceG8R wrote:
If everyone would simply carry their own guns then we would have no need to go to a shooting range, rent one of theirs, and use it to eliminate one of our fellow human beings. Of course, in renting one from the range, you need not prove that you are even competent to get your hands wrapped around it. I feel safer every day. We don't have a problem with guns in this country. All seems completely normal and rational.
Maybe some of us don't want a gun. It's kind of amazing when you think about it that it is 2009, yet we are less civilized than ever because people just keep blowing people away. What kind of world is this when everyone needs to protect themselves by carrying a gun? It's really sad. Humanity stinks.
Jeremy

Cheney, WA

#13 Apr 7, 2009
"Evidence indicated Marie Moore, 44, intentionally shot her 20-year-old son" Who wrote this, a 7th grader? What a tragic story.

Since: Feb 09

Oviedo, FL

#14 Apr 7, 2009
Tipster wrote:
As much as I hate to say it, I've always felt that the requirements for renting firearms at a range were too relaxed.
This is very very sad, but I do believe she would have found a way even without the gun.
Should they have psychiatrists at pool stores and gun ranges to evaluate the fitness of people prior to shooting or building a pool and killing their kids?
MGK

Daytona Beach, FL

#15 Apr 7, 2009
Bravo, TJP!
TJP wrote:
Some sweeping generalizations there. I have to produce a permit or paperwork to shoot at my local ranges and clubs. Not that this helps in any way to predict future behavior.
I could pick apart the first comment, having been in this "culture" all of my adult life; i.e. I speak from experience. But hey, that makes me some sort of ignorant barbarian, unconcerned with the nuances of the science of social engineering.
Tell me, what would *you* have done when they walked up to the counter? What method would *you* employ to determine future intent, and prevent this from ever happening again?
We're wrong, and you're right. Here's your chance at becoming a Nobel laureate: fix the problem. A realistic answer will surely lead to a solution that will benefit nearly everyone.
OK... Go!
another man

AOL

#16 Apr 7, 2009
An Average Man wrote:
I agree. Women are just brain dead and dangerous and irresponsible when it comes to guns. Unbelievable
Why

United States

#17 Apr 7, 2009
Why do we have so much gun violence in this country?

Too many guns; too many nuts.
Ellellel

United States

#18 Apr 7, 2009
Whey to go Why! Blame the gun. Thats the ticket! Thats why all the countries that have banned fire arms, now have a sky rocketing crime rate, and violent murders havn't decreased. Sure blame the gun. Tell me I have a few guns they havn;t jumped up and ran down the street aimlessly shooting people. A gun is an inanimant object that has no purpose until a human picks it up and uses it for there own purpose. By the way I am a woman, and there are alot of phyco men out there so piss off women haters.
BigMac

La Feria, TX

#19 Apr 7, 2009
Those of you who don't own or shoot firearms may find it hard believe that the people you meet at the range or at gun show are for the most part friendly, courteous, disciplined, and safety concious. They are not crazed killers waiting for a chance to shoot someone.
These people simply did not belong on that range. I fully support gun rights, but these ranges need to tighten up on who they allow to shoot. If you have to wait three days and submit to a backround check to buy a pistol (a reasonable measure that I support,) then you should have to do same to rent one.
Such an incident tarnishes the shooting sports in the eyes of reasonable non-shooting folk, and it provides potent fuel for the anti-gun far left.
Shoot Straight's rental program is no doubt designed to entice novices to try the sport, and then purchase a gun from them. I think they had better take the long view on this one and discontinue the policy. I would go further and prohibit "walk-up" shooters alltogether, requiring all who use the range to buy a membership.
Hmm

Lake Worth, FL

#21 Apr 8, 2009
Let me guess... Inbreeding?
tcb

Knoxville, TN

#22 Apr 8, 2009
another man wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. Women are just brain dead and dangerous and irresponsible when it comes to guns. Unbelievable
Oh yeah ? How about that daddy who shot 4 kids and his wife cause he lost his job..I guess you must think he was A BRAIN SURGEON ..if his wife had the gun in her hand maybe she and her 4 babies would be alive..so put that in you crack pipe and smoke it...a weapon in anyones hand is dangerous..see people kill people with guns.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Casselberry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min EditorAtLarge 1,709,080
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 26 min fortmyersf 515,735
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 36 min THESE FARTS 64,473
Total Furniture Restoration We are a full scale... 2 hr Designer Nadeen S... 1
New Game ***Last Word + 2 (Oct '11) 6 hr Princess Hey 13,114
News Club Juana will close to clear way for bridge (Jun '06) Sep '17 Club J Fan 11
Looking for relative of Jeff Mayer (Aug '17) Aug '17 RonW 1

Casselberry Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Casselberry Mortgages