What we think: Get serious on merging

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

W ith a budget shortfall of $86 million looming for Orange County, support is growing among its leaders for a serious look at merging fire services with Orlando to save money.
Comments
21 - 40 of 56 Comments Last updated Jun 26, 2009
Davis

Melbourne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jun 23, 2009
 
Here for you wrote:
Davis which fire are you talking about.
The gift shop fire at the Lake Buena Vista exit. I won't name the names but we all know which Asst Chief it was.
I'm done talking about it.
Land before time

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Jun 23, 2009
 
IIU wrote:
Children !! Apopka class1 ? LOL
Yes APOPKA offers the same Class "1" ISO rating as does the great City of Orlando. Firfighters are paid far less in Apopka and offer the same Class "1" rating. Orlando may play the harp but Apopka likes to play the banjo.
Silece Dolittle

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Jun 23, 2009
 
I would like to reiterate the fact that bigger is not better. The studies that have been conducted have all supported that it will cost more money to consolidate Orlando and Orange County. People that are pro consolidation twist the facts and let lies roll off their keyboards or tongues in order to lure supporters in their favor. The fact is that Orlando operates at 1/3 the cost of Orange County Fire Rescue. Since there isn't a problem then why try to fix it? And as for Apopka being compared to Orlando in the pay scale, Orlando is a bigger municipality and runs far more calls than Apopka. They also only have two man engines. There are many differences between the two. And as for the Orlando Sentinel, the reporters here are a disgrace to reporters. A reporter's job is to report facts and inform the public, not to seek support for whatever opinion be that of the reporter. If I want to be informed of the news, I won't read the Sentinel. They are no better than those trashy papers that tell how
Britney Spears gave birth to an alien. Do you Sentienl workers really want your paper to be put on the same level as those?
Toby

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Jun 23, 2009
 
Silece Dolittle

Apopka only runs two man engines and has an ISO rating of "1"; the same as OFD? What is the credibility of this ISO rating scale?
to idiot orlando ff

Winter Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Jun 23, 2009
 
Toby wrote:
Silece Dolittle
Apopka only runs two man engines and has an ISO rating of "1"; the same as OFD? What is the credibility of this ISO rating scale?
Thank you!!!!!!! somebody hit the nail on the head! ISO is an outdated tool that oudated Fire Departments use hide what they really are: outdated relics resistent to change.

oh by the way, OFD only has that rating because of the mutual aid\joint response agreeements it has with......you guessed it: Orange County Fire Rescue! without our assistance, they would be like thousands of other medium sized departments in the country.
to idiot orlando ff

Winter Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Jun 23, 2009
 
Silece Dolittle wrote:
I would like to reiterate the fact that bigger is not better. The studies that have been conducted have all supported that it will cost more money to consolidate Orlando and Orange County. People that are pro consolidation twist the facts and let lies roll off their keyboards or tongues in order to lure supporters in their favor. The fact is that Orlando operates at 1/3 the cost of Orange County Fire Rescue. Since there isn't a problem then why try to fix it? And as for Apopka being compared to Orlando in the pay scale, Orlando is a bigger municipality and runs far more calls than Apopka. They also only have two man engines. There are many differences between the two. And as for the Orlando Sentinel, the reporters here are a disgrace to reporters. A reporter's job is to report facts and inform the public, not to seek support for whatever opinion be that of the reporter. If I want to be informed of the news, I won't read the Sentinel. They are no better than those trashy papers that tell how
Britney Spears gave birth to an alien. Do you Sentienl workers really want your paper to be put on the same level as those?
with your remarks you are providing more ammo for consolidation. you should not be allowed to run calls on sick and injured citizen's. Mr.Maxwell is a opinion columist, who is paid to write an OPINION on a matter. He is not a beat reporter, jackass, who compiles facts and prepares them for print.

The problem you have with the piece that has been written, is that it exposes you and your ignorant department for what you are: self-centered. Hell, half your department doesnt even live in the city, yet you try to influence the politics of this community.

and lets not even inform the public of that little sham, you call disability pension. The one where fellow firefighters sit on the pension board and hand out 80% tax free pensions to "injured" FF's. and then those "injured" FF's go work for other departments!
David

Melbourne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Jun 23, 2009
 
to idiot orlando ff wrote:
<quoted text>
with your remarks you are providing more ammo for consolidation. you should not be allowed to run calls on sick and injured citizen's. Mr.Maxwell is a opinion columist, who is paid to write an OPINION on a matter. He is not a beat reporter, jackass, who compiles facts and prepares them for print.
The problem you have with the piece that has been written, is that it exposes you and your ignorant department for what you are: self-centered. Hell, half your department doesnt even live in the city, yet you try to influence the politics of this community.
and lets not even inform the public of that little sham, you call disability pension. The one where fellow firefighters sit on the pension board and hand out 80% tax free pensions to "injured" FF's. and then those "injured" FF's go work for other departments!
Let's see. How many of your ffs have you killed due to lack of training, lack of SOPs, and incompetent officers?
Is two enough? You morons still plant yourselves on the roofs of trussed apt buildings, make exterior attacks, and pretty much burn everything that you touch down to the ground.
We don't need your assistance, don't want your "assistance" and certainly don't want to be part of your incompetent organization. It's funny that you want to merge with us so badly and that neither we, nor our citizens want anything to do with you. Don't you get it? Orlando doesn't want you or your half-a$$ed service and lengthy response times.
Shayna

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
Jun 23, 2009
 
I live in Lake Mary, and I think your information is wrong. The city has its own fire department. It has a mutual aid agreement with the County, meaning that the closest fire station can respond and that, when the city or county needs additional units, they can call on each other. But Lake Mary has not merged its fire department into the County's fire department.
gregg

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Jun 24, 2009
 
to idiot orlando ff wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you!!!!!!! somebody hit the nail on the head! ISO is an outdated tool that oudated Fire Departments use hide what they really are: outdated relics resistent to change.
oh by the way, OFD only has that rating because of the mutual aid\joint response agreeements it has with......you guessed it: Orange County Fire Rescue! without our assistance, they would be like thousands of other medium sized departments in the country.
Dear bitter OCFD firefighter. We all realize you took OFD's test and didnt get hired. So now your on the attack. Look,to be honest in respects to who needs who, yes we rely on the mutual aid aggreement. But so do you, that ISO 5 would be a tad higher if you didnt. So put down your battle plans to take us over and stop bad mouthing OFD. I hold a great deal of respect for your department and all the troops.
Sylvia

Melbourne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
Jun 24, 2009
 
I live in College Park and I call my fire department, unfortunately, a few times per month due a heart problem.
They are always at my door within a few minutes and are courteous and professional.
I don't want the fire service that I pay for to be merged with anyone. I don't want the arrival times that can save m life to be extended. I don't know much about fire departments but I do know mathematics and when I do the figures on merging, it seems that the only money saved would be on a few managers. It also looks like the plan would be to spread the territories out thus making responses longer but providing more even times for everyone in the city and the county.
If county residents want faster times, they should be willing to pay for them...as we do.
My neighbors don't want a merger and I doubt many of Orlando's citizens do and we are the ones who foot Buddy's bills. He had best take note.
Greg

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
Jun 24, 2009
 
I don't understand why firefighters are fighting amongst themselves over this topic. It is all about what is best for public safety. Consolidation is not about one department taking over the other, it is about putting the departments together, maybe not just OFD and OCFRD but all fire departments in the county, to provide better service to the public. Response times will not change, staffing levels will not change, some differences in operations would need to be addressed and yes it may take time, but it could work to provide a higher level of service to all of Orange county.
Colin Weaver

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
Jun 24, 2009
 
The poll results from Monday's poll are a blatant lie by the staff of the Orlando Sentinel. They report that 95.1% of readers agreed with their opinion piece on burmese pythons. The truth is that more than 60% disagreed with them. Visit www.nohr669.com for the real truth about their article. They, like the media so often does, are fabricating the truth when it does not suit their opinions. Pitiful excuse for news, for sure.
Dan

Melbourne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
Jun 24, 2009
 
Greg wrote:
I don't understand why firefighters are fighting amongst themselves over this topic. It is all about what is best for public safety. Consolidation is not about one department taking over the other, it is about putting the departments together, maybe not just OFD and OCFRD but all fire departments in the county, to provide better service to the public. Response times will not change, staffing levels will not change, some differences in operations would need to be addressed and yes it may take time, but it could work to provide a higher level of service to all of Orange county.
Let's try it again. Our Orlando department isn't broken. We get fire trucks at our door within 4 minutes. We don't plan to give that up and we don't need to merge our department with anyone elses. Consolidation does mean that the response times in our city would go up as the areas are expanded to help the county. County residents would see lower response times in the areas that have 9 and 10 minute times.
We, in the city, don't have a problem, the County does. Why should we give up what we have to help them? If they want better times, let them pay for it.
Tedford

Melbourne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#34
Jun 24, 2009
 
I lived in Miami last year when they had the same problem. It turns out that the Miami Dade Dept has an average response time of 8 minutes whereas the city of Miami has an average response time of 4 minutes.
It goes without saying that the citizens were livid when the county wanted to take over the city department. City departments normally have much faster response times and people live in cities as well as pay higher taxes, to enjoy better municipal services. If it isn't broken, why fix it? Let the county residents expand their department and achieve the same ISO rating and response times....then talk about merging.
Why dilute a good service so everyone can have an average service?
Our City Our Service

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
Jun 24, 2009
 
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's try it again. Our Orlando department isn't broken. We get fire trucks at our door within 4 minutes. We don't plan to give that up and we don't need to merge our department with anyone elses. Consolidation does mean that the response times in our city would go up as the areas are expanded to help the county. County residents would see lower response times in the areas that have 9 and 10 minute times.
We, in the city, don't have a problem, the County does. Why should we give up what we have to help them? If they want better times, let them pay for it.
Amen, Brother. I will fight this or move out of the state. Orlando's service in monumentally better than anything the County can provide us.
Our City Our Service

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#36
Jun 24, 2009
 
Sylvia wrote:
I live in College Park and I call my fire department, unfortunately, a few times per month due a heart problem.
They are always at my door within a few minutes and are courteous and professional.
I don't want the fire service that I pay for to be merged with anyone. I don't want the arrival times that can save m life to be extended. I don't know much about fire departments but I do know mathematics and when I do the figures on merging, it seems that the only money saved would be on a few managers. It also looks like the plan would be to spread the territories out thus making responses longer but providing more even times for everyone in the city and the county.
If county residents want faster times, they should be willing to pay for them...as we do.
My neighbors don't want a merger and I doubt many of Orlando's citizens do and we are the ones who foot Buddy's bills. He had best take note.
I'm with you.
Mikee

Palm Coast, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#37
Jun 24, 2009
 
As long as we are bringing up our passed heroes...OCFRD lost two men in the 80's and it changed tactic books all over the country. Live and learn. Only a few years ago OFD trainers killed to of Osceola's bravest by NOT learning from the past and being STUPID. Orlando NEEDS a change before their "tradition" kills others. Just sayin'.
Amazed and confused

Palm Coast, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38
Jun 24, 2009
 
All I want is the closest life saving piece of epuipment to show up at my parent's house in the city limits of Orlando, or my house in Orange County and I know for FACT that this isn't the case. I don't care what they call themselves or what color the truck is. That should be the end of this discussion. I think these firemen have some kind of alterior motive. I asked my insurance company about the rating the city talks about and their "1" saves me 12 dollars a year. I'll gladly sacrifice that big "12 dollars" to make sure the closest crews come to my house. LESS GOVERNMENT IS MORE !! Less high paid chiefs, administrators, etc., etc.. I'm not buying what the city is selling 'cuz there is some fierce fibbin' goin' on here.
Proof

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#39
Jun 24, 2009
 
Well, you're obviously fibbin' about that insurance quote. Orlando residents see a MUCH lower rate than county residents. Do your research, Bro! We're talking hundreds of dollars a year saved.
Proof

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#40
Jun 24, 2009
 
Mikee wrote:
As long as we are bringing up our passed heroes...OCFRD lost two men in the 80's and it changed tactic books all over the country. Live and learn. Only a few years ago OFD trainers killed to of Osceola's bravest by NOT learning from the past and being STUPID. Orlando NEEDS a change before their "tradition" kills others. Just sayin'.
As an OFD guy and former Osceola guy, I know first hand that there was A LOT of reasons why that accident happended in Osceola and it wasn't just because of OFD's participation.
And for the record, OFD doesn't need anything that is suggested from an OCFR FF. No one hear is listening.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Casselberry Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Casselberry People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Casselberry News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Casselberry
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••