Bike path rolls out controversy

Bike path rolls out controversy

There are 17 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Apr 11, 2009, titled Bike path rolls out controversy. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Bike paths aren't typically controversial land uses - like landfills and tattoo parlors.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

dirty

Winter Park, FL

#2 Apr 12, 2009
Casselberry has dirty people living in it, I don't want them in Deer Run, what about my property values.
Your Kidding

Palm Coast, FL

#5 Apr 12, 2009
Let's go ahead and hear the whining...

"Oh I was here first"...
"What about the wildlife your pushing out".
"no one told us about this"
"I dont want anyone near me"...
"the safety of our residents"...

The typical excuses people usually have for trails because they can't accept positive change. We've all seen how trails have improved areas they border, throughout the county. Now we have stubborn misinformed individuals who are wanting to give away money to another city, for their efforts to improve their community.

It also gives Deer Run residents connections to commercial areas, a large popular neighborhood park, while improving property values. None which they have so far.
KLC

Melbourne, FL

#6 Apr 12, 2009
Yeah, there's so many hobos on the trail right now...LOL
ocopek

Kissimmee, FL

#7 Apr 12, 2009
The West Orange Trail runs from north of Apopka to west of downtown Clermont. In that approximately 40 miles, not one single area is worse off as a result of the trail. Just the opposite is true as the bike trail has attracted homeowners who are interested in their health and a better lifestyle.
Fed up

Palm Coast, FL

#8 Apr 12, 2009
Is this what they need to be spending money on when they were screaming they couldn't afford the fire department just monthes ago? They turned that over to the county.
Petey

Kissimmee, FL

#9 Apr 12, 2009
I dont really see a need to spend the money on this. Especially since you can already ride on sidewalks and arrive in the same place!
Mustafa Jones

Owensboro, KY

#10 Apr 12, 2009
Deer Run is where I buy all my dope. Maybe this will mean I won't have to drive there to hook up -- great!
mob3000

Winter Park, FL

#11 Apr 12, 2009
Follow this simple rational train of thought.
Most healthy adults are intelligent.
Most intelligent adults have money.
Most healthy adults with money conside their health when buying a home.

Some examples of the "dumps" that have trails: Lake Mary (all over)/ Heathrow, The affluent NW tip of Sanford, and the Tuskawilla portion of Winter Springs. Talk about ruining neighborhoods!!! Boy are those cities going down the drain!
(tongue--->cheek)
Chris

Orlando, FL

#12 Apr 12, 2009
"The cardinals I feed are going to be gone."

Really? Where are they going? I ride a bike every weekend on the West Orange Trail and see not only birds,but rabbits and snakes too!
TheShadow

Kissimmee, FL

#13 Apr 13, 2009
It has always been my impression that local goverment was their to provide basic support systems such as fire water police and things of this nature but once again the city of casselberry chooses to waste money on these type of projects. First they want to build a town center in the middle of a recession when not even the existing retail spaces up and down 1792 can be kept filled. example is the new building that went up approx 2 years ago still has only about 3 store fronts filled the rest sit empty publix store shopping center lays almost half empty i have lived here in casselberry for almost 22 years and the rate of small business success on our stretch of 1792 is dismal to say the least. Wake up casselbery when are you gonna realize these so called people we put in office are not interested in providing for us but only in how they can leave their name and footprint on local history while they reduce police fire services raise taxes fees and our water sewage and garbage rates. Its time for a new local government from the top to the bottem.
raise my taxes

Merritt Island, FL

#15 Apr 13, 2009
Chris wrote:
"The cardinals I feed are going to be gone."
Really? Where are they going? I ride a bike every weekend on the West Orange Trail and see not only birds,but rabbits and snakes too!
While bike trails provide interesting forms of recreation for many the timing on this proposed trail is suspect and the city appears to be without a real plan.

It appears that the studies and conceptual designs could run near a quarter million dollars if public input is positive. If portions of trail are to be constructed of wood or composite the cost to construct could be enormous.

Casselberry is struggling to provide necessary services at this time, why would the commission even consider adding to the misery?

Harriet

Oviedo, FL

#16 Apr 13, 2009
Another buffoonish idea from the city. We had the same fiasco in College Park and fortunately, the residents got together and successfully beat the idea. The councilwoman who was behind the whole thing was soundly trounced in the following election.
Don't give up and don't be afraid to play dirty. The city will.
Your Kidding

Palm Coast, FL

#17 Apr 13, 2009
Facts...

A)The money is coming from Seminole County, not the city of Casselberry. If the city doesnt take it, another city will..
B)If Wildlife is the excuse, rest assured, St.Johns water management district signed off on it, they approve of the plan and are ready to go.
C)The city has worked on this plan since 1995, this is NOT new. There has always been a plan since then.
D)Studies have shown, property values improve in neighboring areas when trails are established.
E)I've never seen someone on a bike trail carrying a 52inch LCD TV from a house they just broke into.
F) The city center project has been in the planning stages for years but because of bad politics, it never came to be. Now the recession has slowed things down and been placed on the backburner. They didnt decide JUST to build it now in a recession.
G) Casselberry is NOT struggling to provide basic services. They own a vast utility network and are doing well.
H) No taxes have been raised by commissioners, NOR a fair tax been placed as they did in Winter Springs.(nice try for assuming though)
I) Fees on utilities were not raised for years, now they are on par with other communities, if not a bit lower.
J) Garage is NOT provided by city, rather an outside company (nice try there too).
K) Area where the trails are being built on, are utility easements that are already cleared, mainly from Progress Energy. So loss of wildlife, wetlands, etc. is an inaccurate statement. The property is already cleared for the most part.

Please, find out the facts first before spewing inaccurate information. It just makes my post that much longer trying to clear the record.
orl71

Windermere, FL

#18 Apr 14, 2009
dirty wrote:
Casselberry has dirty people living in it, I don't want them in Deer Run, what about my property values.
The Country Club at Deer Run
300 Daneswood Way
Casselberry, Florida 32707
Get Map
You might want to check the address on your Country Club. When did Deer Run become some great affluent neighborhood? I would put my house in Carriage Hill up against 3/4 of the 1980's wood framed, press board houses in Deer Run for strength and cleanliness. Get over yourself, you're nobody special.
Enough

Clermont, FL

#19 Apr 21, 2009
Not one penny is being spent by the city on this. It is county grant money that should have been realized years ago, but the people in charge back then turned it down. Trails improve property values. It's really the riders on this trail that should be concerned at looking how some of these people maintain their back yards. It's about time Casselberry gets trails. Kudos to the leaders for not pandering to these bottom feeders.
orl71 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Country Club at Deer Run
300 Daneswood Way
Casselberry, Florida 32707
Get Map
You might want to check the address on your Country Club. When did Deer Run become some great affluent neighborhood? I would put my house in Carriage Hill up against 3/4 of the 1980's wood framed, press board houses in Deer Run for strength and cleanliness. Get over yourself, you're nobody special.
TheShadow

Winter Garden, FL

#20 Apr 22, 2009
re your kidding first its garbage not garage and thought the city does not pick it up itself it does handle the contract and im sick of hearing city leaders keep saying well we don't pay as much as winter springs or winter park forgive me for thinking our civic leaders are supposed to give us the best possible services priced as low as they can find them and not raise things because winter springs or winter park does. i don't give a hoot how the jones or the smiths live. oh and as far as the towne center goes this little town dosen't need a towne center anymore then it does a city manager. theirs not enough business to keep what stores we have on 1792 open
Patagonia

Orlando, FL

#21 May 8, 2009
I'm a Deer Run resident and love the idea of a bike trail nearby!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Casselberry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min Earl 1,744,928
last post wins! (Jul '11) 4 hr Princess Hey 6,084
___Justice For Caylee___Cont. (Feb '10) 9 hr lisa 25,653
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 10 hr Murphey_Law 517,022
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 15 hr STEAMY FARTS 64,570
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 20 hr zazz 98,709
D'Jordan Brooks (Apr '15) 20 hr PRETTYBLACC1 3

Casselberry Jobs

Personal Finance

Casselberry Mortgages