@ getting old before my time

@ getting old before my time

There are 55 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from May 5, 2009, titled @ getting old before my time. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

I am ticked off at the Apopka mom who watched her toddler collect eggs for two minutes while all the other kids were lining up to start.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
just a thought

Ocoee, FL

#48 May 5, 2009
Surely Plesea wrote:
<quoted text>
What's going to happen in 2012? Do tell!!
December 21, 2012 denotes the end of the Mayan calender.
humans are stupid monkeys

Orlando, FL

#49 May 5, 2009
just a thought wrote:
<quoted text>
yes, thank you.
Barrack Obama

United States

#50 May 5, 2009
just a thought wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't worry, Biden is negotiating with the Mayans to extend the calander until the year 2074.
MLeake

Fort Bragg, NC

#51 May 5, 2009
Plenty O Toole wrote:
<quoted text>
B.S. Tax rates are the same, comparatively. If we reduced our defense budget, there would be PLENTY to pay for healthcare for everyone.
I love that you think you are in control of your medical care under the managed care system. In reality, a greedy for-profit corporation is deciding what medicines and procedures you are entitled to with no accountability to anyone but the legal system for those who can afford to fight in court.
Interesting concept, but inaccurate.

Last I read, social security, medicare, and medicaid accounted for almost 40% of federal spending. DOD budget accounts for 7%. Do you really think reduced military spending will have much impact on medical costs?

I've spent too much time overseas, and have too many acquaintances in countries with socialized medicine, to want my taxes to have anything to do with a "national health care system."
g r i t s

Orlando, FL

#52 May 5, 2009
Learn to Drive wrote:
Why do people not understand how merge lanes work? I have to merge onto I-4 every morning downtown and people for the most part let me in. However, more often than should happen people will actually speed up and tighten the distance between cars so merging cars can't get in. This morning I actually had some moron honk the horn and flip his finger at me because I was trying to merge and he for some reason didn't want to let me in. It was a me against you mentality. Maybe they come from somewhere they don't have major highways which require merging. When I see traffic attempting to merge I move over or slow down so they can safely merge with other traffic. The other thing I see is people who don't know how to merge. I see people approach I-4 very slowly and carefully as if they are waiting for a break in the traffic to find the perfect spot to fit right into 60 mph traffic from a 20 mph speed. The ironic part this morning was I had a police car right next to me when I was blown at, given the finger and cut off and he did nothing.
You are probably one of those people that think they are too good to wait in the line like the rest of us and choose to race up to the very last minute then decide to "merge" so you can get ahead of everyone else. It's those kind of people that really TICK me off! If I have to wait in that line for 10-15 minutes then you should too. Get in the back of the car line buddy
just a thought

Ocoee, FL

#53 May 6, 2009
g r i t s wrote:
<quoted text>
You are probably one of those people that think they are too good to wait in the line like the rest of us and choose to race up to the very last minute then decide to "merge" so you can get ahead of everyone else. It's those kind of people that really TICK me off! If I have to wait in that line for 10-15 minutes then you should too. Get in the back of the car line buddy
yeah...what he said!! Quit your ballbaggin and get to the back of the line biotches!
Plenty O Toole

Cincinnati, OH

#56 May 6, 2009
Learn to Drive wrote:
<quoted text>
You still don't get it and you are probably one who causes these near accidents. I spoke with a civil engineer friend of mine who designs these roads this afternoon about this subject. I described to him exactly what I posted on here and he says I am correct in how merge lanes work. I am not changing a lane. The two lanes merge into one. Should the person in the other lane put on their signal to alert me they are coming into my lane? No because it is obvious that the two lanes are becoming one and if not common sense then courtesy would tell both parities to accommodate the other to allow the merge to take place. People who think like this would be eaten alive on the freeways of a real city like New York or LA.
Instead of consulting your civil engineer friend, you should have consulted your driver's handbook for Florida. In a merge situation one lane continues and one lane ends. Those in the lane that is ending must yield to those in the lane continuing. Go check for yourself.

Incidentally, I've never caused an accident in my 22 years of driving and I have NO problem letting a merger in front of me, but I do have problem with those who think their indicator use is optional. It's just lazy. And again, it's not my job to GUESS at what you want to do. If you want to get IN FRONT OF ME, use your damn turn signal LAZY!
PkD

Orlando, FL

#57 May 6, 2009
Learn to Drive wrote:
<quoted text>...Should the person in the other lane put on their signal to alert me they are coming into my lane? No because it is obvious that the two lanes are becoming one ...
Sometimes it's obvious. However, sometimes it's not. You are assuming that the other driver is paying attention to your lane. This is an unnecessarily dangerous assumption that can be avoided by the smallest flick of your wrist. Clearly you have spent more energy arguing about it than you would spend in years of turning on your blinker.

If you turn on the blinker, even though it was obvious to the other driver, no harm done. On the other hand, if you do not turn it on when the other driver wasn't paying attention, then really bad things can happen. It is silly to spend so much effort arguing over something so simple.
DriveBy Poster

Orlando, FL

#58 May 6, 2009
Plenty O Toole wrote:
I love that you think you are in control of your medical care under the managed care system. In reality, a greedy for-profit corporation is deciding what medicines and procedures you are entitled to with no accountability to anyone but the legal system for those who can afford to fight in court.
Thankfully, I have the freedom to bypass the "managed care system" if I choose. Not every medical procedure of treatment has to be processed through my insurance. If I choose to, so be it; if I choose not to, so be it. That's the benefit of a capitalistic system - professionals are able to sell their goods and services, and I as a consumer am able to buy them.
Allison

Atlanta, GA

#59 May 7, 2009
PkD wrote:
<quoted text>
FL law requires the pharmacist to offer the generic if it is available -- no note in file necessary. Anyway, a "generic" does not require a new script. It must have been a generic of a different drug that treats the same indication.
Some prescriptions specify that ONLY the brand name drug may be used. In that case, the pharmacist cannot offer a generic alternative. The patient would indeed need to get a new prescription that did not specify "brand name only."
Reality_Check

Kissimmee, FL

#60 May 7, 2009
Dave wrote:
As far as the pharmacy, do you know how much money it takes to develope a medicine? They invest millions of dollars into medications, some work and some don't. They could spend millions on a drug that they can't even put on the market.
Most generic drugs use the work somebody else has done, and copy the drug and sell it. So of course it will cost less for generic. Basic economics, the more it costs to develope something, the more it costs to buy.
Dave...you couldn't be more incorrect on this. The money comes in getting the drug approved, and in marketing. Doctors are sent on relaxing weekend vacations to Paradise Island, breakfast, lunch and dinner are brought into Emergency Rooms, and extensive, expensive "Client Lunches" are common. All so that they guarantee the doctor writes a prescription for the medication they are selling. The same kind of "wooing" goes on with the FDA.
GOD

Indianapolis, IN

#61 May 7, 2009
You people had better look busy because my son is coming!
just a thought wrote:
<quoted text>
Plenty O Toole

Cincinnati, OH

#64 May 7, 2009
DriveBy Poster wrote:
<quoted text>
Thankfully, I have the freedom to bypass the "managed care system" if I choose. Not every medical procedure of treatment has to be processed through my insurance. If I choose to, so be it; if I choose not to, so be it. That's the benefit of a capitalistic system - professionals are able to sell their goods and services, and I as a consumer am able to buy them.
And indigents are just SOL.
DriveBy Poster

Orlando, FL

#66 May 7, 2009
Plenty O Toole wrote:
<quoted text>
And indigents are just SOL.
When it comes to being able to afford state-of-the-art treatments and medications, perhaps so. Various charities exist to get indigents treatments they need, but any such programs is IMO superior to some all-encompassing "government health care" which must inevitably involve rationing for all.

Perhaps this should motivate people to not become an indigent. When the safety net is so large, people are not as careful.
Paul Bunyan

New Hampton, IA

#67 May 9, 2009
Dave wrote:
As far as the pharmacy, do you know how much money it takes to develope a medicine? They invest millions of dollars into medications, some work and some don't. They could spend millions on a drug that they can't even put on the market.
Most generic drugs use the work somebody else has done, and copy the drug and sell it. So of course it will cost less for generic. Basic economics, the more it costs to develope something, the more it costs to buy.
If the drug companies are so hard up for cash, maybe they should stop bombarding us those asinine TV ads. Celebrex spends 1 minute telling us what the drug will do but has to take 2 more minutes to explain all of the ways it can also cripple and kill you. We don't need to know that......OUR DOCTOR NEEDS TO KNOW IT. Thank God for remote control and the Weather Channel, I don't have to watch the drug company drivel.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Casselberry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 25 min VetnorsGate 1,431,719
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr VN Vet 61,476
Donald Trump for President 3 hr USAsince1680 1
News Hillary Clinton speaks in Orlando on her plan f... 6 hr Dee Spicable Spud 6
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 13 hr Murphey_Law 513,498
News Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School custodians... (May '09) 20 hr MrTripsOnTheory 191
News Viewer's Guide: Look for trust, temperament the... Sat Plum2662 2

Casselberry Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Casselberry Mortgages