@ getting old before my time

@ getting old before my time

There are 55 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from May 5, 2009, titled @ getting old before my time. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

I am ticked off at the Apopka mom who watched her toddler collect eggs for two minutes while all the other kids were lining up to start.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Some Other Guy

United States

#1 May 5, 2009
"So now marriage is defined as a union of procreation? Our 30-plus years of love, friendship and partnership of happiness (man and woman in a legal marriage) is deemed invalid as we were not blessed with children? Au contraire all you narrow-minded, cynical, not to mention downright not nice people! Get over your unfounded prejudice."

That's not the WHOLE definition, and no one's claiming that it is. You're missing the point... because it's in a totally different direction than where you're looking.

Since: Aug 07

Melbourne, FL

#2 May 5, 2009
To the guy with the medicines: ALWAYS tell the pharmacist you prefer generics over name brands..they will keep it in your file and then you won't have to worry about it.

To the person complaining about the license plate: First,'Your license plate is out'? That doesn't even make sense. Second, why don't you try keeping your license plate current (ie, following the law) and you wouldn't have to worry about little run ins like this.

Since: Mar 09

Windsor Locks, CT

#3 May 5, 2009
I'm wondering if the cop meant the light over the rear license plate was not working ?
Learn to Drive

United States

#4 May 5, 2009
Why do people not understand how merge lanes work? I have to merge onto I-4 every morning downtown and people for the most part let me in. However, more often than should happen people will actually speed up and tighten the distance between cars so merging cars can't get in. This morning I actually had some moron honk the horn and flip his finger at me because I was trying to merge and he for some reason didn't want to let me in. It was a me against you mentality. Maybe they come from somewhere they don't have major highways which require merging. When I see traffic attempting to merge I move over or slow down so they can safely merge with other traffic. The other thing I see is people who don't know how to merge. I see people approach I-4 very slowly and carefully as if they are waiting for a break in the traffic to find the perfect spot to fit right into 60 mph traffic from a 20 mph speed. The ironic part this morning was I had a police car right next to me when I was blown at, given the finger and cut off and he did nothing.

“and, your point is...?”

Since: Nov 07

tville

#5 May 5, 2009
"...you narrow-minded, cynical, not to mention downright not nice people!"
Ok, narrow-minded and cynical, but 'downright not nice'? That's hitting below the belt! Really, is such vulgarity necessary? That could seriously hurt someone's feeling! lol...
Frustrated

Orlando, FL

#6 May 5, 2009
Learn to Drive wrote:
Why do people not understand how merge lanes work? I have to merge onto I-4 every morning downtown and people for the most part let me in. However, more often than should happen people will actually speed up and tighten the distance between cars so merging cars can't get in. This morning I actually had some moron honk the horn and flip his finger at me because I was trying to merge and he for some reason didn't want to let me in. It was a me against you mentality. Maybe they come from somewhere they don't have major highways which require merging. When I see traffic attempting to merge I move over or slow down so they can safely merge with other traffic. The other thing I see is people who don't know how to merge. I see people approach I-4 very slowly and carefully as if they are waiting for a break in the traffic to find the perfect spot to fit right into 60 mph traffic from a 20 mph speed. The ironic part this morning was I had a police car right next to me when I was blown at, given the finger and cut off and he did nothing.
Because the on ramp is tops 35 MPH and the traffic on I-4 is 55 MPH you have to be careful when merging in. Ye, the polite thing is to move over, but if you are exiting right after the onramp, then it is hard. the cars coming onto the freeway have the responsibility to enter safely. While driving on I-4, I am usually trying to keep from being run over by the fools behind me that I can't always slow down to let others in front of me. I travel in the right hand lane because people on here keep complaining that if you are traveling at the speed limit then you should stay in the slow lane so that you don't impede the flow of traffic for those who are determined to driver 15 MPH over the speed limit.
Dave

Howey In The Hills, FL

#7 May 5, 2009
On ramps are also used as acceleration lanes.
I hate the people who want to do 30 up the ramp, and still do 30 when they hit the highway then speed up.
You should be at the speed of traffic when you merge into traffic. If not, then you should be expected to wait. Why hold everyone else up because you want to drive slower?

As far as the plate light being out, this is one possible sign of a stolen vehicle. When an officer approaches you, they have no idea what you or anyone else is up to inside the car. You could be some nice old lady, or you could be a violent criminal ready for no good. They have to be over-cautious.
Besides, why complain about the $80 ticket? It is not the officers fault, it is YOUR fault. You are responsible for the proper function of the lights on your vehicle. Take ownership and pay the $80 you owe.
Dave

Howey In The Hills, FL

#8 May 5, 2009
As far as the pharmacy, do you know how much money it takes to develope a medicine? They invest millions of dollars into medications, some work and some don't. They could spend millions on a drug that they can't even put on the market.
Most generic drugs use the work somebody else has done, and copy the drug and sell it. So of course it will cost less for generic. Basic economics, the more it costs to develope something, the more it costs to buy.
PkD

Orlando, FL

#9 May 5, 2009
GatorGrad wrote:
To the guy with the medicines: ALWAYS tell the pharmacist you prefer generics over name brands..they will keep it in your file and then you won't have to worry about it.
FL law requires the pharmacist to offer the generic if it is available -- no note in file necessary. Anyway, a "generic" does not require a new script. It must have been a generic of a different drug that treats the same indication.
PkD

Orlando, FL

#10 May 5, 2009
Dave wrote:
As far as the pharmacy, do you know how much money it takes to develope a medicine? They invest millions of dollars into medications, some work and some don't. They could spend millions on a drug that they can't even put on the market.
Most generic drugs use the work somebody else has done, and copy the drug and sell it. So of course it will cost less for generic. Basic economics, the more it costs to develope something, the more it costs to buy.
To answer your question: average R&D cost of prescription drug =$350 million. Average development time before first dollar of revenue = 12 years. And people wonder why the drugs are so expensive.

To folks who want price controls, if I can't charge enough to make back this investment, I won't develop the drug in the first place. Isn't it better to have an expensive drug than not have the drug at all?
Jason

Geneva, FL

#11 May 5, 2009
Frustrated wrote:
<quoted text>
Because the on ramp is tops 35 MPH and the traffic on I-4 is 55 MPH you have to be careful when merging in. Ye, the polite thing is to move over, but if you are exiting right after the onramp, then it is hard. the cars coming onto the freeway have the responsibility to enter safely. While driving on I-4, I am usually trying to keep from being run over by the fools behind me that I can't always slow down to let others in front of me. I travel in the right hand lane because people on here keep complaining that if you are traveling at the speed limit then you should stay in the slow lane so that you don't impede the flow of traffic for those who are determined to driver 15 MPH over the speed limit.
Its not the polite thing to move over, its STATE LAW.
Questionable

Altamonte Springs, FL

#12 May 5, 2009
Dave wrote:
That is just stupid. The pharms recoup all the money and more than what they put into R&D. That is why the big name companies make the big time money. If what you said were true, then all the generic brands would somehow have some competitive advantage in the marketplace as they would start at $0 instead of negative. What you are paying for is the name, that is it.....
efininch

Gainesville, FL

#13 May 5, 2009
OK if you were watching this child pick up most of the eggs, why didn't you go over to her mom or dad and mention that the other kids haven't started yet and maybe she should put at least some of the eggs back?

Not one person said anything?

SPEAK UP or shut up
Jason

Geneva, FL

#14 May 5, 2009
Ok, I just looked it up and it actually isn't state Law to Move over...ignore my other post.
Barbara Bush

United States

#15 May 5, 2009
I'd say the pharmaceutical companies recieve "a little bit" of tax money to develop new drugs
Mom

Orlando, FL

#16 May 5, 2009
Jason wrote:
Ok, I just looked it up and it actually isn't state Law to Move over...ignore my other post.
Someone who actually admits to a mistake. I admire that. Thanks.
PkD

Orlando, FL

#17 May 5, 2009
Questionable wrote:
<quoted text>
That is just stupid. The pharms recoup all the money and more than what they put into R&D. That is why the big name companies make the big time money.
If only that were true LOL! Yes, some drugs (a very few) are huge hits and the pharma makes huge money. Unfortunately MOST drugs lose massive amounts of money. Very few drugs even make it through clinical trials to get even the first $1 of sales. It is the chance to hit that 1 winner that they go through all the losers. Kind of like the lottery -- most tickets lose, but the one that hits keeps people in the game.
Questionable wrote:
If what you said were true, then all the generic brands would somehow have some competitive advantage in the marketplace as they would start at $0 instead of negative.
Huh?
Questionable wrote:
What you are paying for is the name, that is it.....
Once a generic is available, you are correct. The only significant difference between the brand and the generic is the label and the price.
Goose

Winter Park, FL

#18 May 5, 2009
My Two Cents Here wrote:
I'm wondering if the cop meant the light over the rear license plate was not working ?
I think that's what it was, I got ticketed for that too and 80 bucks was the amount.. Of course you can get it too a lower priced ticket if you fix it and show proof.
Plenty O Toole

Cincinnati, OH

#19 May 5, 2009
Learn to Drive wrote:
Just one question: do you use your indicator or do you just try to barrel through?
Plenty O Toole

Cincinnati, OH

#20 May 5, 2009
PkD wrote:
<quoted text>
To answer your question: average R&D cost of prescription drug =$350 million. Average development time before first dollar of revenue = 12 years. And people wonder why the drugs are so expensive.
To folks who want price controls, if I can't charge enough to make back this investment, I won't develop the drug in the first place. Isn't it better to have an expensive drug than not have the drug at all?
I get that, but why is it only the American consumer who is expected to recoup this cost for the Pharmas? Why in Europe, Canada and Mexico are the same drugs so much cheaper?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Casselberry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Yeah 1,419,323
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 min Earthling-1 61,051
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 1 hr zazz 98,169
Word Association 2 (Jul '10) 3 hr This is Sweet 22,976
News Belmont: The Bronx 's true Little Italy - (Aug '07) 3 hr I dont know 104
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 8 hr Notliz 513,465
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) Fri Wiley_Kyote 73,689

Casselberry Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Casselberry Mortgages