Some Lynx riders 'devastated' by cuts

Some Lynx riders 'devastated' by cuts

There are 10 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Apr 15, 2009, titled Some Lynx riders 'devastated' by cuts. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

J une Noblitt has eye, heart and asthma troubles, so living in a rural nowhere between Casselberry and Winter Springs , the 62-year-old relies on neighbors and a special Lynx bus service to get groceries, run errands or make doctor's appointments.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Since: Feb 09

Oviedo, FL

#1 Apr 16, 2009
Perhaps she could move to an area more accessible to public transportation as she has many health problems that will need frequent doctor's attention. Nice special interest story - can citizens afford more taxes to pay for every entitlement?
Conservative Republican

Cocoa, FL

#2 Apr 16, 2009
Hopie Changie wrote:
Perhaps she could move to an area more accessible to public transportation as she has many health problems that will need frequent doctor's attention. Nice special interest story - can citizens afford more taxes to pay for every entitlement?
Perhaps her family or friends could help her, too. Moving from place-to-place used to be easy and fairly inexpensive, but not today. Perhaps Lynx could operate a limited fleet of jitney-type special-purpose buses for citizens like her. Jitney's are relatively inexpensive to purchase and operate (a jitney is similar to the bus or van operated by car rental companies at most airports).
Maxfield

Plymouth, MN

#3 Apr 16, 2009
Conservative Republican wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps her family or friends could help her, too. Moving from place-to-place used to be easy and fairly inexpensive, but not today. Perhaps Lynx could operate a limited fleet of jitney-type special-purpose buses for citizens like her. Jitney's are relatively inexpensive to purchase and operate (a jitney is similar to the bus or van operated by car rental companies at most airports).
Agree with you but know one thing - I am tired of paying entitlements.
Conservative Republican

Cocoa, FL

#4 Apr 16, 2009
Maxfield wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree with you but know one thing - I am tired of paying entitlements.
As am I, but Lynx can and should mitigate losses of operating "charity routes."

Since: Feb 09

Oviedo, FL

#5 Apr 16, 2009
Conservative Republican wrote:
<quoted text>
As am I, but Lynx can and should mitigate losses of operating "charity routes."
As I remember a few years ago the Sentinel ran some articles about how badly the grant money was managed. I work for a large company that does government funded healthcare. Other states have effective funded transportation for the poor, needy and elderly. I have relatives that use funded transportation in other states for routine doctor's appointments instead of taking their cars. The government needs to tighten up on their wasteful spending.
Conservative Republican

Cocoa, FL

#6 Apr 17, 2009
Hopie Changie wrote:
<quoted text>As I remember a few years ago the Sentinel ran some articles about how badly the grant money was managed. I work for a large company that does government funded healthcare. Other states have effective funded transportation for the poor, needy and elderly. I have relatives that use funded transportation in other states for routine doctor's appointments instead of taking their cars. The government needs to tighten up on their wasteful spending.
Hopie Changie wrote:
<quoted text>The government needs to tighten up on their wasteful spending.
From your mouth to God's ear.
Former Resident

Satellite Beach, FL

#7 Apr 17, 2009
Hopie Changie wrote:
<quoted text>As I remember a few years ago the Sentinel ran some articles about how badly the grant money was managed. I work for a large company that does government funded healthcare. Other states have effective funded transportation for the poor, needy and elderly. I have relatives that use funded transportation in other states for routine doctor's appointments instead of taking their cars. The government needs to tighten up on their wasteful spending.
You are correct. LYNX EO was B. Brooks. The same person that took the LYNX Board to Las Vegas on taxpayer subsidies. The same B. Brooks that is part of Orlando's Mayors cabinet.
Margaret Toms

AOL

#8 Apr 22, 2009
I have macular degeneration which caused me to have to give up driving and even if there were a bus stop anywhere near me I would be unable to walk to it because of peripheral neuropathyin my legs. Is there any other program available for transportaion other than expensive taxi rides?
Maxfield

Plymouth, MN

#9 Apr 22, 2009
Margaret Toms wrote:
I have macular degeneration which caused me to have to give up driving and even if there were a bus stop anywhere near me I would be unable to walk to it because of peripheral neuropathyin my legs. Is there any other program available for transportaion other than expensive taxi rides?
Access Lynx, Senior Resource Alliance. Community Care for the Elderly. I am glad your macular degeneration still allows you to use the computer.
Margaret Toms

AOL

#10 May 2, 2009
This has really hurt me, I loved Lynx. I have macular and can't drive. I was hoping you could direct me who to contact to try to help this situation and get Lynx back to helping those who need it again. My suggestion is charging a little more. I know I wouldn't mind. Thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Casselberry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Lady Godivia 1,534,727
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 31 min Eagle 12 412
News Barack Obama is a Christian (Dec '07) 12 hr WelbyMD 4,894
News 'Casey Anthony: An American Murder Mystery' rev... Mon Revelations 166
Let's Chat (Jan '12) Mon Voyeur 19,229
News Residents learn how to deal, get rid of iguanas (May '09) Mon Bye bye 33
News Infant hit with empty glass in Oviedo restauran... (Apr '08) Mar '17 TashaD 201

Casselberry Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Casselberry Mortgages