6/18: Letters to the Editor

6/18: Letters to the Editor

There are 45 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jun 17, 2009, titled 6/18: Letters to the Editor. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Jim Green says in his Tuesday letter that "the worst thing that could happen to America is for Obama and the [federal government] to get involved in universal health care." He also says, "Hospitals and doctors are already suffering from being underpaid by Medicare.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Mike Thompson

Sterling, VA

#1 Jun 17, 2009
A self supporting government medical plan would be ideal.
we seem to have a real problem discussing how to set up a government run Medical Plan.
item 1 how much will it cost me per month.
item 2 is my employer going to pay 50 percent of the plan
item 3 what does it cover
item 4 what are the copay
this could be the simplest thing in the world to set up but we have a real problem between the right wing Republican propaganda and the insurance companies miss information it confuses everyone.
a plan that the customer pays $150 per month has a $2 and $5 copay on prescription drugs.
covers all hospital eyeglasses and hearing aids and was self sustaining.
set it up where 97ยข of every $1 paid in premiums was paid out in benefits
and police to prevent fraud and make the penalties so stiff that you would have to be totally insane to cross the line.
Procurator

Orlando, FL

#2 Jun 17, 2009
Developers-The entire state is being destroyed by developers that have brought their developments from politicians ? Amazing comment.
Hopeful

Ocala, FL

#3 Jun 17, 2009
It seems to me that the 18th ain't here yet and that's OK if the 17th was a preface but c'mon__get part of it right.
Yarp

Eddyville, KY

#4 Jun 17, 2009
Sorry, J Craig Wagner, but the new standard that all schools in the US will be measured by is a federal standard. Until the Congress or President decide they want to change the 'No Child Left Behind' system, national standards rule.

So when a national study says Florida charter schools don't measure up, it's time to pay attention. Most charter schools in Florida are publicly paid for, right, with my tax dollars? So I have to be concerned about what I'm paying for.

I don't have kids in school personally, but I have a stake in this, too. I want my money spent the right way, so your kids and other people's kids can support themselves when they graduate.

Schools across the US that don't meet the federal standards will be punished even more than the FCAT punished Florida schools. Principals can be forced out, teachers replaced, eventually if no improvement is shown, the school is supposed to be shut down and the students assigned to other schools.

If that's true for taxpayer funded public schools, I don't know how taxpayer funded charter schools can avoid the same punishment. So, J. Craig, if your kids are in a charter school, don't assume that all is well. Find out how that school does on the federal scale. You might want to start looking for other options.

By the way, a lot of Florida schools that did well in the FCAT don't measure up on the stricter federal standards. The fed expects improvement in every category of student, including those with learning disabilities, those who have English as a second language, etc. Things are going to change in Florida. It's not just the FCAT anymore.
Mike Thompson

Sterling, VA

#5 Jun 18, 2009
Wow you really hit the jackpot today three of my favorite subject.
item 1; the need for a national health-insurance program so every American can have medical care.
item 2; charter schools most of which are run by the religious groups that are pushing the right wing agenda are less interested in education than they are in regimentation. We really need more right wing fascists.
item 3; the greedy land developers and all the politicians that they have in their pockets that are march in lockstep to destroy every square inch of Florida.
Grandma Fudd

Oviedo, FL

#6 Jun 18, 2009
Would someone please explain to me what is the "Right Wing Agenda"? I haven't witnessed any "agendas" other than the gay activists wanting to force theirs, or the secular progressives wanting to force theirs, or the muddy bottom dwellers wanting to force theirs ?

As I recall, this Nation was founded upon a belief in God, a belief in self suffcience, freedom, individualism, and a small limited government with very few and well defined duties - with the remainder left to the individual states and the individual. These are all the agenda that I ever heard the "Right Wing" having?

Gee, if you all want to go the route of Chavez, Castro, Ahmadinejad, and Kim Jong Mentally Ill, then why not just move to their country?
Republicans Have No Honor

Paducah, KY

#7 Jun 18, 2009
Grandma Fudd wrote:
Would someone please explain to me what is the "Right Wing Agenda"? I haven't witnessed any "agendas" other than the gay activists wanting to force theirs, or the secular progressives wanting to force theirs, or the muddy bottom dwellers wanting to force theirs ?
Open your eyes biotch and you'll see it all around you.
As I recall, this Nation was founded upon a belief in God, a belief in self suffcience, freedom, individualism, and a small limited government with very few and well defined duties - with the remainder left to the individual states and the individual. These are all the agenda that I ever heard the "Right Wing" having?
Gee, if you all want to go the route of Chavez, Castro, Ahmadinejad, and Kim Jong Mentally Ill, then why not just move to their country?
We'd rather improve our own country and get you and your failed ideas relegated to the dust bin of history.

What's the matter granny, can't take the heat?
Grandma Fudd

Oviedo, FL

#8 Jun 18, 2009
Robert Goldberg Casselberry

If you think health care is expensive today Robert, just wait till its free. Why don't you stop and think before you spout sheer nonsense? Have you any idea how the VA health system has been working? The "great satisfaction" and adulation users of the VA system feel toward it? It is run by the Federal Government.

How do you like visiting a State run Drivers License Bureau office, or a County Tax collectors Tag office - Both government run and staffed.

Ever had to go to a Social Security office and work out something with them? Run by the Federal Government.

A camel is a race horse designed by the Federal Government.
If you think going to a local emergency room and spending the day there waiting to be seen is fun, you might enjoy what lies ahead. I've been in countries where the healthcare is government run. It isn't pretty. Luckily, where I was, local doctors could run a private practice in the afternoons. You didn't go near the doctor's office in the morning during NH hours unless you were black or dirt poor. If you were lucky, you got a white doctor - unlucky you got a Bombay graduate. You didn't want the latter. They had a nickname - Dr.s Death. The nurses knew which doctor to recommend to their friends - if you were lucky you knew a nurse who knew the survival rate of each doctor.
Grandma Fudd

Oviedo, FL

#9 Jun 18, 2009
Republicans Have No Honor wrote:
<quoted text>
Open your eyes biotch and you'll see it all around you.
<quoted text>
We'd rather improve our own country and get you and your failed ideas relegated to the dust bin of history.
Did your Mother ever completely cure her STD's after you were born infected with all of them ?
Questor

Fairfield, CT

#10 Jun 18, 2009
<quoted text>
Open your eyes XXXXXX and you'll see it all around you.
<quoted text>
When you resort to name calling it demeans your message.
RogerP

United States

#11 Jun 18, 2009
This is all anybody needs to know about republicons:
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they must be disposed of."
-Dick Cheney
cmd

Apopka, FL

#12 Jun 18, 2009
Grandma Fudd wrote:
Robert Goldberg Casselberry
If you think health care is expensive today Robert, just wait till its free. Why don't you stop and think before you spout sheer nonsense? Have you any idea how the VA health system has been working? The "great satisfaction" and adulation users of the VA system feel toward it? It is run by the Federal Government.
How do you like visiting a State run Drivers License Bureau office, or a County Tax collectors Tag office - Both government run and staffed.
Ever had to go to a Social Security office and work out something with them? Run by the Federal Government.
A camel is a race horse designed by the Federal Government.
If you think going to a local emergency room and spending the day there waiting to be seen is fun, you might enjoy what lies ahead. I've been in countries where the healthcare is government run. It isn't pretty. Luckily, where I was, local doctors could run a private practice in the afternoons. You didn't go near the doctor's office in the morning during NH hours unless you were black or dirt poor. If you were lucky, you got a white doctor - unlucky you got a Bombay graduate. You didn't want the latter. They had a nickname - Dr.s Death. The nurses knew which doctor to recommend to their friends - if you were lucky you knew a nurse who knew the survival rate of each doctor.
The government is not taking over the healthcare system. The idea is to make a public health insurance option available. That has nothing to do with what you are talking about in some other unnamed country that you claim to have been to.
Random Thoughts

Oviedo, FL

#13 Jun 18, 2009
cmd wrote:
<quoted text>
The government is not taking over the healthcare system. The idea is to make a public health insurance option available. That has nothing to do with what you are talking about in some other unnamed country that you claim to have been to.
Apparently you don't quite comprehend the "Boiling of the frog" lessons. Naturally, the Gvt. won't start directly into that full fledged mode. A little at a time, an inch turns to a foot, a foot turns to a mile and they are in solid, completely, and it's all over. Just the reason why the NRA has to fight every little move they try to pass "little" incremental laws and rules about private gun ownership. Nobody would allow a confiscation of all guns, but if you start off with registration, then go to annual reporting, taxing, etc. and soon you work up to accomplishing your goal by incrementalism.
doug

Altamonte Springs, FL

#14 Jun 18, 2009
Grandma Fudd wrote:
right wing agenda NO nothing more of the same thats your agenda i say no thanks. Oh and enjoy your tea party on the 4th while you fools are drinking your tea i will be celebrating our independence . You fools are all invited to join us as AMERICANS if you still understand what that means.
doug

Altamonte Springs, FL

#15 Jun 18, 2009
Grandma Fudd wrote:
<quoted text>
Did your Mother ever completely cure her STD's after you were born infected with all of them ?
you are no woman what kind of man goes around on the internet as a woman? Oh thats right you are a republican been in any public restrooms lately?
Some Dems Are Liars

Fairfield, CT

#16 Jun 18, 2009
RogerP wrote:
This is all anybody needs to know about republicons:
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they must be disposed of."
-Dick Cheney
This all anybody needs to know about Democrats:
"I did not have sex with that woman"
- Honorable President William Jefferson Clinton
BTW do you have a reference for your quote by Dick Cheney? Your stetement was know as Maier's Law in college.
Republicans Have No Honor

Eddyville, KY

#17 Jun 18, 2009
Questor wrote:
<quoted text>
When you resort to name calling it demeans your message.
You may feel that way. I don't care.
cmd

Apopka, FL

#18 Jun 18, 2009
Random Thoughts wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently you don't quite comprehend the "Boiling of the frog" lessons. Naturally, the Gvt. won't start directly into that full fledged mode. A little at a time, an inch turns to a foot, a foot turns to a mile and they are in solid, completely, and it's all over. Just the reason why the NRA has to fight every little move they try to pass "little" incremental laws and rules about private gun ownership. Nobody would allow a confiscation of all guns, but if you start off with registration, then go to annual reporting, taxing, etc. and soon you work up to accomplishing your goal by incrementalism.
As a pro-choice person I certainly understand the incremental approach to eroding freedoms. I also understand that taking one step in a direction (which I think is debatable here) doesn't necessarily mean you will take the next step. In this case, giving people another health insurance option, does not inevitably lead to total government control of healthcare. As you said, there are many incremental steps, so there will be many opportunities along the way to stop a complete government takeover.

What I care about is seeing that people who are uninsured can afford health insurance. I think that giving people more choices is not a bad thing, even if some people try to paint it as a baby step towards total govt. control of healthcare. I think the benefit far outweighs the small risk of that. Pro-life conservatives have made that same argument about banning partial-birth abortions.

I don't see why we don't just give it a shot and stay vigilant in making sure the government doesn't go too far. You may find that the slope is not as slippery as you think.
Jonny was

AOL

#19 Jun 18, 2009
SS going bankrupt,Medicare going bankrupt. 1999 fair housing act, destroyed housing market. All these programs were started with the best of intentions and yet look at the end result. Why would a gvt health plan be any different?
Questor

Denver, CO

#20 Jun 18, 2009
<quoted text>
You may feel that way. I don't care.
Even though I do not hold to your espoused political beliefs, I always thought that you were clear thinking, presented appropriate arguments and justified your position. Now I can see from this last response that you are lacking exactly what your name says the Republicans lack.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Casselberry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min sonicfilter 1,707,907
New Game ***Last Word + 2 (Oct '11) 20 min Princess Hey 13,112
Word Association 2 (Jul '10) 31 min Princess Hey 23,148
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 40 min Murphey_Law 515,702
News John Morgan apologizes for posts about autism, ... 2 hr Murphey_Law 1
News Karen Pence touts art therapy with Orlando canc... 2 hr Kathy Bosco 1 1
3 word game (Jan '11) 3 hr Princess Hey 14,353

Casselberry Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Casselberry Mortgages