Accident marks second motorcycle fata...

Accident marks second motorcycle fatality over weekend

There are 37 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jun 15, 2008, titled Accident marks second motorcycle fatality over weekend. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

A 25-year-old Orlando man was killed Saturday when a Mazda Proteg struck his motorcycle at the intersection of Dean Road and Cypress Springs Parkway, Florida Highway Patrol said Sunday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Conway Resident

Orlando, FL

#2 Jun 15, 2008
Sounds like she was at fault if she failed to yield? Was the driver of the vehicle arrested? Were any of them under the influence of drugs or alchohol?
darwin

San Antonio, TX

#4 Jun 15, 2008
another biker killed by a cage.... too many people is florida don't understand the damage their car can do and drive without a care in the world.
Kevin Beary

Lady Lake, FL

#5 Jun 15, 2008
when will we start considering this murder rather than an accident????
Airborne 82

Winter Park, FL

#8 Jun 15, 2008
Kevin Beary wrote:
when will we start considering this murder rather than an accident????
Cant be murder, no mens reas. No criminal intent. It is a traffic accident, unless she pulled out in front of him on purpose.
Responsibility Sucks

Dallas, TX

#9 Jun 15, 2008
Thanks Airborne. Maybe in your liberal mind you feel there is no Mens Rea, but when you operate a deadly weapon with complete disregard for human life, you intend to kill anyone who gets in your way and you absolutely have a guilty mind. Go back to being indoctrinated by your liberal law professors.
Heartbroken

United States

#11 Jun 15, 2008
I'm just his sister and mortified by the comments. I pray to God his mother doesn't read this.
onepopo

Palm Bay, FL

#13 Jun 15, 2008
That is a tiny three-way intersection with a clear view southbound. How do you not see a motorcycle? Unreal.

My sincere condolences to the family and friends.
yourface

West Monroe, LA

#14 Jun 15, 2008
Heartbroken wrote:
I'm just his sister and mortified by the comments. I pray to God his mother doesn't read this.
I am so very sorry for your loss. What a sad situation for everyone involved. You're in my prayers.
flcracker

Lady Lake, FL

#15 Jun 15, 2008
Conway Resident wrote:
Sounds like she was at fault if she failed to yield? Was the driver of the vehicle arrested? Were any of them under the influence of drugs or alchohol?
Did you read the article? or are you one who just reads the headline?
It says the driver was taken to ORMC in serious condition....
Poo Scrubber

Clearwater, FL

#19 Jun 15, 2008
This is pure intentional murder.
ONTHEGOGIRL

Deland, FL

#21 Jun 15, 2008
A-holes in Central Florida are the WORST drivers. I wonder if she was talking on her cellphone. I can't tell you the number of times I have had near misses because someone was on the phone.

I ride a scooter...and fortunately stay off major roads. However, in the very near future there will be MORE motorcycles and MORE scooters. We need to lobby our lawmakers to apply harsher punishment to anyone operating a motor vehicle who kills someone. It wasn't and "accident". She did something wrong and now an innocent person is dead.
My prayers go out to the victim and his family. As for the woman who killed this man, I have no sympathy for her.
Truth

Anderson, SC

#22 Jun 15, 2008
Kevin Beary wrote:
when will we start considering this murder rather than an accident????
As soon as a Politician loses a family member, then it will become important. Until then car drivers will only get a slap on the wrist for Killing a motorcyclist.
Rande

Palm Bay, FL

#24 Jun 15, 2008
ONTHEGOGIRL wrote:
A-holes in Central Florida are the WORST drivers. I wonder if she was talking on her cellphone. I can't tell you the number of times I have had near misses because someone was on the phone.
I ride a scooter...and fortunately stay off major roads. However, in the very near future there will be MORE motorcycles and MORE scooters. We need to lobby our lawmakers to apply harsher punishment to anyone operating a motor vehicle who kills someone. It wasn't and "accident". She did something wrong and now an innocent person is dead.
My prayers go out to the victim and his family. As for the woman who killed this man, I have no sympathy for her.
HB 137 is a bill aimed towards sport bikes and speeders stating for measures leading up to confiscation of vevhicle if you are a repeat offender...I know this accident is the fault of the driver of the car and HB 137 had a stiffer penelties bill attached to it making it more of a harsher penalty if you kill someone on a Motorcycle, well that stiffer penalty part was stricken from HB 137 and HB 137 passed and will become law, so it is back to normal making it a non offence if you kill someone on a motorcycle all you get sighted for is the infraction of the cause, like not yealding right of way or some other infraction to a traffic law...so in turn she will get slap on the wrist for killing that rider and will pay a traffic citation if one was written.
Kevin Beary

Lady Lake, FL

#26 Jun 15, 2008
Airborne 82 wrote:
<quoted text>
Cant be murder, no mens reas. No criminal intent. It is a traffic accident, unless she pulled out in front of him on purpose.
An accident is when a tree falls on your house. This is no accident but inattention and careless driving. At the very least, driving priviledges should be suspended for some time to come.
vsync

Kissimmee, FL

#27 Jun 15, 2008
"Authorities said the crash is under investigation by traffic homicide investigators, and no further details were available."

No further details are necessary.

This is a homicide. Definitely manslaughter, murder unless a seizure or something was what caused her not to see the motorcyclist.
vsync

Kissimmee, FL

#28 Jun 15, 2008
Rande, it should absolutely not be a harsher offense to kill someone on a motorcycle than to kill someone in a car. That violates equal protection under the law. Rather they should both be treated harshly. If someone dies because you violated a traffic law, that's full-on manslaughter. If you violated the traffic law and knew your victim had right of way, that's murder.

Big Gunner, feel free to drive whatever you want, just respect the right of way and other traffic laws. Don't complain if I point and laugh when you're filling up and I pull up, fill my bike's tank in 2min, and take off while your fuel is still pumping and your CC bill is still climbing.
Cold Realist

Leesburg, FL

#29 Jun 15, 2008
The poor biker always gets the worst of it when morons not paying attention turn in front of them. As others posted, she was probably on her cellphone talking about some stupid nonsense and just spaced. My condolences to Adam's family for their loss.
Rande

Palm Bay, FL

#30 Jun 15, 2008
vsync wrote:
Rande, it should absolutely not be a harsher offense to kill someone on a motorcycle than to kill someone in a car. That violates equal protection under the law. Rather they should both be treated harshly. If someone dies because you violated a traffic law, that's full-on manslaughter. If you violated the traffic law and knew your victim had right of way, that's murder.
Big Gunner, feel free to drive whatever you want, just respect the right of way and other traffic laws. Don't complain if I point and laugh when you're filling up and I pull up, fill my bike's tank in 2min, and take off while your fuel is still pumping and your CC bill is still climbing.
hey from the last paragraph top Big gunner sounds like your a biker..iif so cool your right about both being equal if you kill some one in a car or on a motorcycle... and due to the large amount of deaths caused by cars against motorcycles things need to be changed. Florida's government also knows this and A stiffer penalties bill is going to come back up again next year and will most likly pass. the number one cause of death in a motorcycle and car accident is the t-bone and the reason behind it is I did not see him well the I did not see him has become an excuse that works in the court system.If you turn in front of a car and that driver dies you face harsher penatlies because you cant say I did not see him it wont hold up in court. but it will hold up in court for a accident involving a morotcycle cause we are hard to see and hard for drivers of cars judge speed. I dont know your background but I am an advicate for motorcycle right and for freedom of the road. We have attorneys with in our organization and they say that people who become involved in accidents between cars and someone dies the price to pay for that is harsher then if involved with motorcycles thus the reason for the addition of the stiffer penalty bill it was stricken from the bill because some idiot threatened the sponsor of the bill and the Govenor had no choice but to remove it for some reason that I have yet to find out, your point is a strong one and I agree with you that there needs to be more action for people who wind up killing others in accidents if blatant disreguard for operating a vechicle and causing a death occur
please excure my typing I know it is bad ...
Mitch Androvic

Frisco, TX

#31 Jun 15, 2008
While any loss of life in an accident is extremely sad. I'm curious if either motocyclist had a helmet on and if not if a helmet might have saved their lives.
WFT

Longwood, FL

#32 Jun 15, 2008
Once this idiot car driver heals up, she should be thrown against a car at 45 mph so she will feel the pain and death that she caused this motorcyclist.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Casselberry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 hr VetnorsGate 1,581,412
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 hr 2all 63,944
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 8 hr Murphey_Law 513,428
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 11 hr zazz 98,477
News Lawsuit accuses Advance Auto Parts of racial di... (Sep '08) 14 hr USS LIBERTY 55
News Sex offenders, predators find room at Friendly ... (Nov '08) 17 hr Rip Chen Picket 63
News Let's Talk About Something Other Than Casey Ant... (Jul '11) Fri Tex- 42

Casselberry Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Casselberry Mortgages