Oviedo OKs red light cameras

Oviedo OKs red light cameras

There are 8 comments on the Seminole Chronicle story from Feb 17, 2010, titled Oviedo OKs red light cameras. In it, Seminole Chronicle reports that:

In as little as six months, Oviedo could be host to as many as three red light cameras after the Oviedo City Council passed the first draft of an ordinance allowing the police department to install them.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Seminole Chronicle.

Vick

Scottsmoor, FL

#1 Feb 19, 2010
I think that the red light cameras are a great idea. Irresponsible drivers will think twice before blowing a light if they know that they will be fined for it, and that means safer roads for the rest of us.
Cameras

Houston, TX

#2 Feb 21, 2010
I agree, it is a good thing.
Bill -

Winter Garden, FL

#3 Feb 22, 2010
Only Problem is, those people who DON'T Realize there's red light camera's behind you, and you suddenly hit the brakes, when they are accelerating to blow thru the intersection...I see a lot more rear end accidents in the future.
It's STILL a good idea. There are WAY TOO MANY PEOPLE blowing thru Red Light's now adays!
hotrod

Orlando, FL

#4 Mar 22, 2010
Getting a ticket after the lights been run? That's not called prevention or safety, it'scalled REVENUE.If the city was actually concerned about the safety of it's citizens, it would post a big sign allerting drivers to the red light cameras in operation. Then people would in most cases NOT run the light to start with.What a joke! Just more money for the city.
Independent Voter

Blackford, KY

#5 Mar 25, 2010
Red light cameras have the possibility of being a very good thing. Red light runners are a major danger. Some cities have successfully used the information from the cameras to improve the light timing to decrease infractions and improve safety.

The problem comes in when Draconian leaders are giving power. Laws are required to limit the possible abuse of this new power. Cities have taken to implementing the letter of the law for the smallest infractions like not stopping for 3 seconds behind the stop bar for a right on red. Some cities have taken to changing the light timing to improve cash flow from infractions.
Parrotrosie

Carrollton, TX

#6 May 18, 2010
The problem I see, is that the equipment is manufactured by third party, out of the country vendors, and a portion of the revenues (about half) is sent to that country, usually an Arab country (Saudi Arabia for one). Great way to fund more terrorist activity! Go USA....
curious

Plainfield, IL

#7 May 26, 2011
Independent Voter wrote:
Red light cameras have the possibility of being a very good thing. Red light runners are a major danger. Some cities have successfully used the information from the cameras to improve the light timing to decrease infractions and improve safety.
The problem comes in when Draconian leaders are giving power. Laws are required to limit the possible abuse of this new power. Cities have taken to implementing the letter of the law for the smallest infractions like not stopping for 3 seconds behind the stop bar for a right on red. Some cities have taken to changing the light timing to improve cash flow from infractions.
My town had the red light cam for about a year. Frankly I didnt really feel sorry for those who got a ticket be it for actually running a red or stoping past the white line. You know the law, you know what intersections the cameras are at, yet you choose to drive the way you want. You broke the law, maybe not the spirit of the law but the law just the same. Then you have the audacity to cry fowl when you are held accountable for your actions.

Was it a money making plan for the city. Oh ya. The ticket was like $100 ( I should know I got one). Out of that fine 40 perent went back to the city. Now everyone complains about taxes going up. If the $40 dollars of revenue coming in from people not driving the way they should, means my tax bill wont go up... I have no problem with that
infowars.com

Geneva, FL

#8 Jun 2, 2011
It is just BIG BROTHER watching and tracking your everymove

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Casselberry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min John Galt 1,383,254
New Game ***Last Word + 2 (Oct '11) 2 hr Princess Hey 12,650
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 4 hr Princess Hey 18,976
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 4 hr Tzu 98,045
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 6 hr tina anne 59,496
Word Association 2 (Jul '10) 6 hr Princess Hey 22,965
News Invictus Games 'smashes the stigma' of military... 7 hr thats new 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Casselberry Mortgages