Casselberry boat-ramp closures smack ...

Casselberry boat-ramp closures smack of favoritism, some say --...

There are 56 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Aug 31, 2007, titled Casselberry boat-ramp closures smack of favoritism, some say --.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Residents living on the Triplet chain of lakes in Casselberry say outsiders on motorboats and personal watercraft have made the waterways unsafe, unpleasant and polluted.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Piggy

Winter Garden, FL

#1 Aug 31, 2007
Bravo !

No gas for recreationl watercraft.
Local Guy

Scottsmoor, FL

#2 Aug 31, 2007
It sure appears as if the city of CRACKelberry does it again. Caving in to one loud mouth commissioner. All Susan Doener has done since she moved to her new house is complain. How about the neighbor with the fire pit? Maybe she will hire an off-duty police officer to stand-by until he violates state law and she has him arrested. I guess nobody outside the city will ever know what great "assets" the lakes are because we will never get to use them. You can not live on a lake and not expect people to use it. Maybe we should close the street in front of her house so nobody squeals tires and wakes her up. Casselberry is the most backwards town in Central Florida and I am glad I moved away when I did.
Heywood Jablome

Carrollton, TX

#3 Aug 31, 2007
I suggest ALL Casselberry residents remember this,come election day.Everyone mentioned in this article needs to be replaced,from the Mayor right on down.These people are obviously using their position for personal gain.I also remember when the "Mayor" wanted to ban any truck or van with ladder racks,from parking in their own driveway.
rich

AOL

#4 Aug 31, 2007
why dont these people with riparian rights pay thier real price for homeowners insurance
hmmmm

Orlando, FL

#5 Aug 31, 2007
typical Seminole county/Casselberry politics. Someone knew someone or someone paid someone off.
Redogg

Orlando, FL

#6 Aug 31, 2007
Why not just have a deputy patrol the lakes if they're that concerned? You can't just shut the public out of a public waterway. This will be overturned by the courts in a due time.
CBGuy

Orlando, FL

#7 Aug 31, 2007
Water-crafts polluting oil/gas into the lakes, cross contaminating has caused the hydrilla to overtake these shallow small lakes, noisy jet-skis in the early morning and weekends, people building fire pits next to them? Who wants to live in that?

Is this the wild wild west??

Just wanted to point out only 2 other cities in Seminole have boat ramps. Altamonte Springs has 1, Sanford, Casselberry has 2. Not hard to see there's a serious problem funneling so many people onto the small chain of lakes.

And no you shouldn't spend the money to patrol them. As it is, cities are trying to cut unnecessary spending because of the tax crisis...why create another responsibility. As it is, the money will need to be diverted to clean-up the hydrilla caused by the overuse..

The lakes are one of the few natural resources for Casselberry, you pollute and kill that and it hurts the whole community. People need to focus on the community as a whole, rather than their own personal selfish reasons.
Local Guy

Scottsmoor, FL

#8 Aug 31, 2007
I agree with my friend Heywood... The looney mayor needs to go along with his followers. Casselberry deserves better management. Why did the city spend money to build a boat ramp if they were going to wait YEARS until a commissioner moved in and forced it closed. These are small lakes, but there are speed limits and I have used these lakes several times and never had more than 5 OUTSIDER boats or jetskis on the lake at one time. Doener's neighbor has a legal fire pit on his property which he has had for YEARS but that has not stopped DOENER from using her position to call the chief of police and have him send a Sgt and Lt. out to the lake to make him put the fire out. She needs to get off her high horse and let people live. And quit wasting police time and money.

Speaking of spending... Casselberry is the most financially backwards town around too. Just ask their workers who go in everyday fearful that they may not have jobs.

Casselberry could do it's citizens a favor and disban and let Seminole County take over. The citizens deserve it.
ANNE MILLER

Palm Coast, FL

#9 Aug 31, 2007
iN RESPONSE TO THE ARTICLE ON THE lAKES OF cASSSELBERRYTHERE ARE SEVERAL ISSUES THAT NEED CLARIFICATION. tHIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN AN ONGOING CONCERN FOR THE PAST ELEVEN YEAR. THERE WERE OVER EIGHTY PETITIONS FROM CASSELBERRY TAXPAYERS IN FAVOR OF CLOSING THE TWO PUBLIC LAKES. SUSAN DOERNER DID NOT LEAD THIS INITIATIVE . tHE CITIZENS DID. tHE COMMENTS FROM HOMEOWNERS WERE VALID AND RATIONAL. MAYOR GOFF IS TRYING TO PRESENT AND PROMOTE A HAVE AND HAVE NOT SCENARIO between homeowners and jet skiers. The issue is the preservaion of lakes and the quality of life for the residents, and the disappearing wildlife. The jet skiers do not care about the envirnment or the quality of life for other citizens on the lakes. Their interest are only self gratification at the expense of any other concerns. There interest is going at maximum speed and ignoring all regulations. Jet skies are built for speed and large bodies of water. not a 17 acre lake or on that is 3 feet deep. The numbers are usually in excess of five or six at one time. The majority of people using motorized craft do not live in Casselberry and pay taxes By the way lakefront owners pay higher insurance and taxes to live on the lakes. Mayor Goff is worfully lacking in leadership abilities and the ability to think critically in higher principles. He should do what is right and stop pandering to the percieved disenfranchised and protect what we have left of Floridas environment. Do you really want to live on another Lake Apopka? Think beyond your very narrow point of view and see the problema hand. I hope those of you that are so misinformed choose to leave and leave the rest of us to care about the city and the future generations that come after us. stop abusing our natural gifts from the environment. You still have the right to use the lakes for passive activities..
RBN

Howey In The Hills, FL

#10 Aug 31, 2007
They will probably build "townhomes" on the land like they have done every else in Seminole county!!
Public use has no meaning in the backward city of Crackerberry!!
We Are In Charge

Kissimmee, FL

#11 Aug 31, 2007
Ann,
What about the environmental damage caused by runoff of pesticides and fertilizer? Do the lakeside homeowners pay a surtax for that? I bet they don't. I also suspect that the runoff causes many more environmental issues than jet ski exhaust. But, fertilizer isn't loud, doesn't make a wake, and most importantly isn't from outside the neighborhood. Call it what it is - Keep off OUR lake.
MICK-Casselberry

Palm Coast, FL

#12 Aug 31, 2007
Seems like those that are opposed to the ramps closing are not from CASSELBERRY.Race around in your own backyard. I see that you don't vote, pay taxes, or live in Casselberry. Why should I pay for some clown from Sanford to pollute my lakes? The mayor is a moron.
Ann

Palm Coast, FL

#13 Aug 31, 2007
we are not allowed to use fertilizers or pesticides on the property facing the lake. Somehow the added pollution from abuse by jet skiers is justified .The lake cannot handle the enormous pressure from this type of activity.Yes you are correct jet skis are loud cause an enormous wake on this lake and are definitely disturbing the environment. The homeowners that live here have watercraft but do not use it on the lake to any extent. We own three boats but have the good sense to seek appropriate waters to boat on. In other words we are responsible citizens who know how to protect our environment. The outsiders are welcome in passive activities. Once again your only interest is in your own self centered pleasures without regard for others.
Heywood Jablome

Carrollton, TX

#14 Aug 31, 2007
ANNE MILLER wrote:
iN RESPONSE TO THE ARTICLE ON THE lAKES OF cASSSELBERRYTHERE ARE SEVERAL ISSUES THAT NEED CLARIFICATION. tHIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN AN ONGOING CONCERN FOR THE PAST ELEVEN YEAR. THERE WERE OVER EIGHTY PETITIONS FROM CASSELBERRY TAXPAYERS IN FAVOR OF CLOSING THE TWO PUBLIC LAKES. SUSAN DOERNER DID NOT LEAD THIS INITIATIVE . tHE CITIZENS DID. tHE COMMENTS FROM HOMEOWNERS WERE VALID AND RATIONAL. MAYOR GOFF IS TRYING TO PRESENT AND PROMOTE A HAVE AND HAVE NOT SCENARIO between homeowners and jet skiers. The issue is the preservaion of lakes and the quality of life for the residents, and the disappearing wildlife. The jet skiers do not care about the envirnment or the quality of life for other citizens on the lakes. Their interest are only self gratification at the expense of any other concerns. There interest is going at maximum speed and ignoring all regulations. Jet skies are built for speed and large bodies of water. not a 17 acre lake or on that is 3 feet deep. The numbers are usually in excess of five or six at one time. The majority of people using motorized craft do not live in Casselberry and pay taxes By the way lakefront owners pay higher insurance and taxes to live on the lakes. Mayor Goff is worfully lacking in leadership abilities and the ability to think critically in higher principles. He should do what is right and stop pandering to the percieved disenfranchised and protect what we have left of Floridas environment. Do you really want to live on another Lake Apopka? Think beyond your very narrow point of view and see the problema hand. I hope those of you that are so misinformed choose to leave and leave the rest of us to care about the city and the future generations that come after us. stop abusing our natural gifts from the environment. You still have the right to use the lakes for passive activities..
Well ANN!FirstI know where the CAps lock is.Secondly 80 petitions?how many people live in Casselberry?Thirdly,Do not drink and spell at the same time!Envirmnt?Also disenfranchised?Excuse me for living in Caselberry!I am in the flooring business,and I can tell you,you can't touch my income.Sounds like this is nothing but greedy little people,selfishly thinking,I can't sell my house at a 200% profit,as long as I am on a"Public Waterway."
And like I said before,you boneheads live in Casselberry!Not Winterpark,OR College Park!There are also State laws that Address "connected waterways".But like I said before"ALL STANDING ELECTED OFFICIALS OF THE CITY OF CASSELBERRY"should be and will be replaced,at the next election!If you are as outraged as I am,and live in Casselebeey.If you don't vote register to vote.Let's stop the snobs that can't spell,in their tracks!!!!
realist not racist

Longwood, FL

#15 Aug 31, 2007
Jetskiers are the dirtbag bikers of the waterways....
realist not racist

Longwood, FL

#16 Aug 31, 2007
**** = D-i-r-t-b-a-g
Heywood Jablome

Carrollton, TX

#17 Aug 31, 2007
CBGuy wrote:
Water-crafts polluting oil/gas into the lakes, cross contaminating has caused the hydrilla to overtake these shallow small lakes, noisy jet-skis in the early morning and weekends, people building fire pits next to them? Who wants to live in that?
Is this the wild wild west??
Just wanted to point out only 2 other cities in Seminole have boat ramps. Altamonte Springs has 1, Sanford, Casselberry has 2. Not hard to see there's a serious problem funneling so many people onto the small chain of lakes.
And no you shouldn't spend the money to patrol them. As it is, cities are trying to cut unnecessary spending because of the tax crisis...why create another responsibility. As it is, the money will need to be diverted to clean-up the hydrilla caused by the overuse..
The lakes are one of the few natural resources for Casselberry, you pollute and kill that and it hurts the whole community. People need to focus on the community as a whole, rather than their own personal selfish reasons.
Hey CB guy,the 1970's just called they want their radio back."Good News?"they are going to give you a cell phone."Bad news?"It will cost you $39.00 a month.As far as the "tax crisis?"There is a tax crisis,because the wealthy,don't want to pay into the infrastructure cost!To keep up the bridges,roads,rail transport that will happen.Maybe 10 years from now,your children will get the message.
Heywood Jablome

Carrollton, TX

#18 Aug 31, 2007
realist not racist wrote:
****= D-i-r-t-b-a-g
I'm a little confused,could you please elaborate?
Mick Casselberry

Palm Coast, FL

#19 Aug 31, 2007
Hey Heywood The ramps are closed SUCKER to bad find somewhere else with all your money to run over the wildlife good luck to you closed closed closed got it sucker
Ann

Palm Coast, FL

#20 Sep 1, 2007
Heywood,Congratulations on you superior intellect and immense wealth. However, you seemed to have missed the rationale and resorted to personal insults. Your statements on the use of the computer are irrelevant and petty. Use your influence somewhere else and leave us alone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Casselberry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min RoxLo 1,580,486
Best Roadside Service Unlimited Roadside Assist... 2 hr Tim Cambell 1
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 5 hr zazz 98,475
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 15 hr Murphey_Law 513,421
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 16 hr Beams 63,943
*great oaks village* (Oct '09) Thu Tina 30
News Oviedo OKs red light cameras (Feb '10) Jul '17 bill003 9

Casselberry Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Casselberry Mortgages