Iraq-war widow in Casselberry sues to...

Iraq-war widow in Casselberry sues to stay -- OrlandoSentinel.com

There are 21 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Aug 31, 2007, titled Iraq-war widow in Casselberry sues to stay -- OrlandoSentinel.com. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

A Venezuelan immigrant from Central Florida is among more than 80 widows who filed a class-action lawsuit Thursday, trying to stop U.S. immigration officials from deporting them.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
A Florida Resident

Orlando, FL

#1 Aug 31, 2007
Great for them: I hope they win: Old GWB sends the husbands over there to get killed in that worthless war and now the government wants to trow them out: Give me a break! The let every person from India and Pakastan that wants to come here in the country, and they want to throw widows of that lousy war out: Something is really wrong with the way old old GWB admin. thinks that is for sure!
dumb new message board

Saranac, NY

#2 Aug 31, 2007
He was a contractor, his company sent him. Another way to keep the troop fatality count down.
sandegold

Orlando, FL

#3 Aug 31, 2007
Heard told the Sentinel of her predicament last year when she found out that the killing of her husband, Jeffrey Heard, in Iraq also meant that she could face deportation. The couple's toddler, an American by birth, might have to return with her to Venezuela..........
"" BUT,IF YOU ARE AN ILLEGAL MEXICAN,AND,HAVE AN ANCHOR BABY HERE,THEN YOU CAN STAY BECAUSE THE BABY IS AN AMERICAN CITIZEN..."" ....Would you mind explaining to me exactly what kind of sense that makes...??? These women were married to American Soldiers,they have a right to be here as far as I am concerned...the Mexicans snuck into this country illegally and the women that married the soldiers came here legally...so why can the illegal Mexicans stay and the wives of the soldiers can't...what a bunch of crap...
Born Floridian

Lakeland, FL

#4 Aug 31, 2007
Again, not a soldier, a contractor. The article title is misleading as heck.

I'm against illegal immigration no matter who you marry or what they do for their company... got it? COMPANY, not country. This was a highly paid hit man providing security, yet was married to an ILLEGAL alien.

Send em all back and don't let em back in til they learn to hablar Englis. Anchor babies included.
BLANTONA1

Winter Garden, FL

#5 Aug 31, 2007
sandegold wrote:
Heard told the Sentinel of her predicament last year when she found out that the killing of her husband, Jeffrey Heard, in Iraq also meant that she could face deportation. The couple's toddler, an American by birth, might have to return with her to Venezuela..........
"" BUT,IF YOU ARE AN ILLEGAL MEXICAN,AND,HAVE AN ANCHOR BABY HERE,THEN YOU CAN STAY BECAUSE THE BABY IS AN AMERICAN CITIZEN..."" ....Would you mind explaining to me exactly what kind of sense that makes...??? These women were married to American Soldiers,they have a right to be here as far as I am concerned...the Mexicans snuck into this country illegally and the women that married the soldiers came here legally...so why can the illegal Mexicans stay and the wives of the soldiers can't...what a bunch of crap...
I agree with you to a certain extent. This particular woman was not married to a soldier....he was a contractor. He was sent to Iraq by his employer. I think there is a different set of laws pertaining to those who are widowed with husbands are in the military.
malloy

Eustis, FL

#6 Aug 31, 2007
Born Floridian wrote:
This was a highly paid hit man providing security, yet was married to an ILLEGAL alien.
Send em all back and don't let em back in til they learn to hablar Englis. Anchor babies included.
First, how do you know she was illegal?
Second, how do you know she does not speak english?
You may be wrong on both, and certainly are on the first point.
Win

Eddyville, KY

#7 Aug 31, 2007
Born Floridian wrote:
I'm against illegal immigration no matter who you marry or what they do for their company... got it? COMPANY, not country. This was a highly paid hit man providing security, yet was married to an ILLEGAL alien.
As I've read, she is not illegal, she had filed for Residence but her husband died before the time required for approval.
In the News

Chicago, IL

#11 Aug 31, 2007
"does not speak but a few words of broken english..."

LMAO!!!!

Are you an illegal as well? Because based on your grammar skills alone, it sure seems that way. The word English is capitalized. Funny you want them to speak the language that you can barely speak and write yourself.

"then are williong to speak on there behalf..." Hahaha. Let me help you, I feel so sorry for you.

…then are WILLING to speak on THEIR behalf.

Thanks for the laugh, buddy!
TheTrueAmericanPatriot wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok on Dumbfuck malloy you know the deal, stupid ass
does not speak but a few words of broken english
and you can be sure the chance is like 99 % that this is an Illegal....
I hate the fuckinf assholes like you Malloy that sit back and watch our country getting raped by the feces colored sub human monkey people and then are williong to speak on there behalf, YOU ARE A TRAITOR
Voice of Reason

New York, NY

#12 Aug 31, 2007
TheTrueAmericanPatriot wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok on Dumbfuck malloy you know the deal, stupid ass
does not speak but a few words of broken english
and you can be sure the chance is like 99 % that this is an Illegal....
I hate the fuckinf assholes like you Malloy that sit back and watch our country getting raped by the feces colored sub human monkey people and then are williong to speak on there behalf, YOU ARE A TRAITOR
Yet another racist, ignorant redneck.

Keep it up, your hate makes the majority of Americans turn away from you in disgust.
Redogg

Orlando, FL

#13 Aug 31, 2007
Everyone wants to be an exception to the rule. If we did what all of these people want to do and bend the laws here and there, eventually there will be no laws and we'll have an immigration free-for-all. We're almost to that point now.

This guy was not serving his country. He was a contractor who chose to take a job that would send him to Iraq in return for compensation that reflected the risk.

Despite the fact that her husband died, this lady does not meet the qualifications to stay here. Instead of doing what's right by the law and heading home, this lady and countless others like her are costing law-abiding taxpayers tons of money fighting their rightful deportations.

I'm sorry that her husband died, but she'll get no sympathy from me or the majority of Americans regarding her citizenship plight.
Matt

Lincoln, NE

#14 Aug 31, 2007
Born Floridian wrote:
Well, if she was in the process of obtaining citizenship, as the article states, then she was here lawfully.

Only a lawful resident alien can apply for citizenship.

The facts suggest that your claim about here being here unlawfully is both incorrect and ignorant.

Matt
Bodady

New Orleans, LA

#15 Aug 31, 2007
Born Floridian wrote:
the word is Ingles, learn before you habla ingles OK
Bodady

New Orleans, LA

#16 Aug 31, 2007
'nuff said!!
Reverend Father Guido

Orlando, FL

#17 Aug 31, 2007
She was here legally and married to an American who died in a war at the hands of our enemy.

However, we fight to let these illegal Mexican wetbacks stay. This is an injustice.
Bill

Delray Beach, FL

#18 Aug 31, 2007
Lets stand up and applaud the idiots at immagration. they have hundreds of thousands of illegals running across the border, yet someone who tries to do the right thing is facing deportation. That they marrierd US citizens who then paid the ultimate price in Iraq should not mean we just throw these people out of the country.
Really sad..........
Amelia

United States

#19 Aug 31, 2007
Does it say they are illegal? If they are, then that is what their status still is as far as I'm concerned. If they were here legally and going through the legal process, then they have to follow whatever steps the law allows and try to continue their fight to be here legally. THEY weren't the ones fighting or providing security for our forces - their spouses were! The American babies will be American babies no matter where they grow up. If those babies are going to afford the mothers special dispensation, they can do it from Venezuela also. Although truly, with Hugo in charge over there, that American baby is just going to learn to hate America...
In the News

Chicago, IL

#20 Aug 31, 2007
"Although truly, with Hugo in charge over there, that American baby is just going to learn to hate America."

Everything you mentioned at the top of your post became pointless as soon as you wrote the last sentence. You see, this is exactly why this woman is fighting tooth and nail to stay. She has an American child, was in the country legally (otherwise she wouldn't be able to apply to stay in the first place), and was legally married. Just knowing that she has to go back to that Castro/Cuba-like nation will give anyone heart palpitations for their safety, let alone their offspring.

The truth of the matter is that the law that governs this situation is flawed. Also, the company her husband worked for should pay restitutions to the widow and help her stay.

Even still, Amelia, I'm always taken aback that people in our Nation just like you, are always so insensitive to the plight of others. You're talking about a woman who is doing everything possible, the LEGAL way, to become part of the US. Don't let your prejudice get in the way of your good judgment. It would be an injustice to send this woman back with her American child to face countless atrocities in Venezuela when they shouldn't be there in the first place.
Amelia wrote:
Does it say they are illegal? If they are, then that is what their status still is as far as I'm concerned. If they were here legally and going through the legal process, then they have to follow whatever steps the law allows and try to continue their fight to be here legally. THEY weren't the ones fighting or providing security for our forces - their spouses were! The American babies will be American babies no matter where they grow up. If those babies are going to afford the mothers special dispensation, they can do it from Venezuela also. Although truly, with Hugo in charge over there, that American baby is just going to learn to hate America...
Milka

United States

#22 Oct 1, 2007
Dahianna Heard in not an illegal alien, she entered the country legally but she she stayed longer than she was supposed to stay. The minute she married an American Citizen all immigrations sins were forgiven. So actually it does not matter that she stayed longer in this country with a tourist visa. The issue is that according to law she was not married at least for to years so she cannot get the permanent residence. Anyways there are other widows that they have been married for less than a year and through congressmen and private bills, they got their permanent residence. Dahianna Heard has never received a deportation letter since her status and appeal are still pending.

Her current status is pending (not illegal not soon to be deported.) Her case is right now in the Court of Appeals of the Department of Justice.

People who think like you are totally ignorants of what these families go through when the father or mother has to leave to zone of combat for months, every time they leave they think they will not see them agaim. These families are devastated when they lose their loved ones to the war.
I strongly disagree with everything that you wrote. Jeff was a high skilled and trained militar who served in the United States Army Special Forces in foreign countries during several wars and for many years. He also spent ten years fighting this Nation's counter drug war. Of course you have no idea of what you are writing because you do not know even a piece of who Jeff was, how much he loved his family and what he did for this country.
Born Floridian wrote:
jeff bizzarro

Winter Park, FL

#23 Oct 10, 2007
Amen milka!
jeff bizzarro

Anchorage, AK

#24 Jul 25, 2010
jeff bizzarro wrote:
Amen milka!
, Just so you understand Mrs. heard I was in the rear vehicle in the convoy when your husband was ambushed. He was a true warrior he went out in true warrior style, when I came upon him, his mp-5 was on full auto and the magazine was empty. I was the only one there when he took his last breath. It was the lack of support from the substandard security company we worked for that resulted in his death. SOC-SMG only concern is bottom line profits. They dont put the safety of their employees first. Jeff was a decent human being and it is tragic that he died for delivering mail and underwear. A first aid kit should of been part of the inventory of every vehicle so the other two individuals that were shot that day could of been properly cared for. But I guess that would of cut into the profits of SOC-SMG's corporate greed policy. What a waste. I am truly sorry for your loss!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Casselberry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min USAsince1680 1,579,163
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 36 min Murphey_Law 513,414
One Word (Jul '10) 1 hr Princess Hey 2,575
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 1 hr Princess Hey 19,687
Alphabet Game (Apr '12) 2 hr Princess Hey 9,806
Word Association 2 (Jul '10) 2 hr Princess Hey 23,116
Song Title Game (Apr '15) 2 hr Princess Hey 702

Casselberry Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Casselberry Mortgages