Casey Paper Past Reader

Mattoon, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2007

I'd like to hear some opinions of the Casey Daily Reporter. I personally can't believe how only the Casey socialites (esp Women) are mentioned in the paper. I moved last year. I won't be renewing my subscription. Coles County Rocks!!!

Mattoon, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2007

Judged:

Editor is a woman. She runs with the 'In Crowd'.
End of story.
Blogger_you

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2007

We have taken the Casey Reporter for years and years. It still is a good way to keep up with the area. It is also the cheapest paper of that type we have come across for over the 60 years we have taken it.

Since: Aug 07

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2007

Who are all these Casey women Socialites? I lived there many years ago well I grew up there and would like to know if I remember any of them from school. I remember if you were a farm girl it was hard. You were shunned and made fun of. I saw it happen to quite a few girls and boys. And irony that is a farming community. My brother is a farmer there and he keeps to himself and works hard.
Socialites

Mattoon, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2007

A person would be foolish to name NAMES in print. Their husbands own businesses, or Family owned business, they teach school, work for the city. Most are in their late 30's, 40's and 50's.
Casey Lady

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2007

The thing that gets me about the Reporter is something that just makes me livid when I read the articles. There is a column that tells of news and is based on like 50 years ago, 40 years ago, all the way down to 10 years ago.

Having been a Casey citizen for 30 years, I did enjoy reading back at the events that are recalled by of course, the woman editor that someone mentions in a post above. Yes, she is among the "group"....that is also always mentioned when the topic of Casey comes up and how "toxic" this unfriendly group is to others "outside" the bunch of them. Unless a business is owned by one of them, it seems to be doomed from the start.

Anyway there will never be any mention of any events other than so and so brought home a new son, or who was prom queen, and you better believe that any event in this so called editor person's family is also recalled, of course all good events.

Recently the editor has choosen to highlight a local murder in the 10 years ago column. I have absolutely no ties to this family nor to either of the victims, the young fellow or his girlfriend that lost her life in the event.

But I know that there are always more than one victim in a crime as well as the families that loved both these poor souls. Can you even begin to imagine the pain of these two people's family to be reminded of the event in a home town newspaper.

To say the least I think it is deplorable and in very bad taste to highlight such events in a column where you are recalling 99% of happy memories from various members of the community as a whole. If indeed the editor was rightous and ethical, she would consentrate and print stories that currently happen but have the names of these so called "group" or special people. But if course that would be her own death sentance from the special group she has been allowed to be among.

I will no longer subscribe to the Casy reporter because the truth of the matter is, there is rarely anything published that is what is really going on in Casey.

But recently a new member of the city council has been quoted pretty well, and for that I am grateful, because he is doing a great job, of doing what we citizens need in this town !!! So when the council news is printed, I might just be forced to buy or borrow a paper !!!
Anti-Reporter Fan

Mattoon, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2007

Well put Casey Lady!! I agree with you. If you notice.. the births are usually her socialite friends. That burns me!
The Casey Reporter

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2007

This newspaper was much better back in the 70's when it was run by Ron Isbell. There was always controversy, but that was because he believed in real reporting, regardless of the toes he be stepping on.
Chstn

Mattoon, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2007

There is no 'reporting' now. It is just a Social Club of Casey with an editor who reports on her friends and anyone with money in Casey. I quit reading it about 6 months ago even though my family is from Casey and I enjoyed the sports info.
casey resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2007

I do not like the reporter honestly
I agree with about half of you about it
Columns

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2007

10,20,40 years - You would think the editor and the staff would at least fake it and throw in some other names once in a while. The only "News from the Past" that they report on are their friends or those people who run with the TOP DOGS (ha ha) of Casey. The same last names keep appearing over and over.
Bad Casey Lady

Charleston, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2007

What more can you expect? These people feel slighted if their names aren't kept in the public eye. It's all in the game that's played by the in-crowd and will never change. Only the "bad" people have negative things printed about them in the newspaper. Notice who chooses the "bad" people, the same people who need to see their names in print, above store awnings, and anything else public.
Bad Casey Lady

Charleston, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2007

The Reporter used to cost less and print accurate news of interest. Now, it's just about the so-called elite and who got arrested or couldn't pay their taxes. They make a big deal out of everything the city council does and most of it doesn't even pertain to the average citizens. Sad, but Casey will never change.
Big city gal

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2007

Who is the editor of the paper now? Who writes the columns? I live in the Chicago area now and I haven't seen a paper in years! Sounds typical of a small town narrow-minded editor.
Tammy

Pickerington, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2007

The paper used to be 35 cents.... It was a better paper then it is now by far.... but it was never a great paper. I lived in Casey for 15 years. My mother in law passed away and my thank you ad printed a week before her obit. They need to pull their head out of their _______ or stop printing the paper all together.
HERE in CASEY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2007

Shame on you for being rude!

It is okay to share your opinions but it is you who looks like the "jerk" for talking about people behind their backs and belittling the work that they do. Many of you went on and on about the small town way of life...YOU ARE IT!!!

The Casey Reporter IS a small town newspaper...we are blessed to have even that in a town as small as ours.

By the way, it has been just a few years since someone else started and attempted to run another paper in Casey. It was not able to support itself and had to close...if there are as many unhappy people as you all feel there are then it makes sense to say that paper would still be in business.
prettygentlewoma n

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2008

i use to live in casey too..i also went to school there..instead of knocking about casey reporter, you should do something about it to help them..give them some suggestions instead of critizing it..if you think that you all can do better than go for it..casey isn't a big city you know..but i do agree they should type n put in there what is really going on now days instead of the past..especially for those that subscribe to the paper that live out of town..they know the past.........you all should talk about them tearing down our school that many of us went to instead of this crap.
Still in a Little town

Sparta, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

I was an outsider. Didn't grow up here, but moved here during H/S. U were treated like an outcast! I still live in the area and it is the same old same old. Talk about the high school? What is there to talk about? If you are a NO name then your opinions fall on deaf ears! Same way with giving suggestions to the paper. I have put several things in the paper. Births, Obits, In rememberance, etc. And U know they couldn't even get that right. The only thing I get the paper for is to read Mr. L's column or if there is a picture of a child in the paper that I know.
Personnel

Carol Stream, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

They use fake emails addresses to try to get info from people or monitor internet blogs/sites for the latest gossip. You can hang your hat on this! My co-worker has proof of it! I won't subscribe.
Casey Resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

Let me guess...they are also conspiring with the government to cover up evidence of UFO abductions and they know who really killed President Kennedy...as far as monitoring internet sites, if people are stupid enough to post information on the internet for the entire planet to see, why shouldn't it be in the local paper?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Casey Discussions

Search the Casey Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 11 hr truth 48,928
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 21 hr newpoly 1,864
IL Who do you support for Secretary of State in Il... (Oct '10) Sun Chicagobunny 527
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) Sat All better now 3,835
Old CTM Factory? (Dec '13) Jul 25 Need Work 3
who are the Jul 20 CATYDID 1
IL Who do you support for Attorney General in Illi... (Oct '10) Jul 16 rdarbin 641
•••
•••
•••
•••

Casey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Casey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••