City must clear snow, ice too

Full story: Berkshire Eagle

I understand and applaud the idea of penalizing lazy people who can't be bothered to keep their sidewalks clear.
Comments
1 - 17 of 17 Comments Last updated Feb 5, 2009
snowman

United States

#1 Feb 3, 2009
Great questions.Let's see if we get an answer?
somewhat sane

Boston, MA

#2 Feb 3, 2009
What makes you think they're all lazy? Some people are infirm, some handicapped, some ill, some very old. Also, these sidewalks are owned by the city and should be maintained by the city - as they are in other towns like Dalton and Lenox. They have tractors to plow the walkways. If someone is injured on the sidewalk, it is the city that is responsible - not the homeowner. If the sidewalk is cracked or damaged, it is the city's responsiblity to take care of it, not the homeowner's. What gives the city the right to fine anyone for not maintaining THE CITY'S sidewalk? The homeowner does not have to plow the road in front of their house, do they? I do think that each individual should make an attempt to clear the walkway around their homes, if possible. However, I don't believe that the city should be fining people to take care of their property.
Jimmy G- Pittsfield MA

Clifton Park, NY

#4 Feb 3, 2009
The city cries poor at every turn of the second hand, but they can afford to give big raises to some Dept. heads, such as the superintendant of schools nad tthe Buliding Dept. head, Ernie Fortini. They're laying off custodians and I've heard soon firemen and police too. They'll say they can't afford to clear the sidewalks, mark my words.I agree that some of the elderly and handicapped can't clear their walks, and callung them lazy wasn't fair.
HAIRY

United States

#5 Feb 3, 2009
I agree.Some people aren't physically fit to shovel wet heavy plow thrown snow.In fact,if one of these people died from over exertion,I wonder if the person's estate could sue the city?
shovel this

West Springfield, MA

#6 Feb 3, 2009
You people just don't get it. How in the hell can the city afford to give money to poor Mr Stanley for his theater/retaurant complex if they are going to pay folk to shovel sidewalks. Something has to give here and this mayor is just trying to help out a down and out business tycoon become even wealthier and what is so wrong with that???

So the little old lady on social security has to go out and shovel a little snow with her arthritic hands. Big deal. Movies are going to save Pittsfield and so the little old ladies can drop dead of heart attacks as long as the town is saved. I gotta go with the council on this owne.

Since: Feb 09

United States

#7 Feb 3, 2009
somewhat sane wrote:
What makes you think they're all lazy? Some people are infirm, some handicapped, some ill, some very old. Also, these sidewalks are owned by the city and should be maintained by the city - as they are in other towns like Dalton and Lenox. They have tractors to plow the walkways. If someone is injured on the sidewalk, it is the city that is responsible - not the homeowner. If the sidewalk is cracked or damaged, it is the city's responsiblity to take care of it, not the homeowner's. What gives the city the right to fine anyone for not maintaining THE CITY'S sidewalk? The homeowner does not have to plow the road in front of their house, do they? I do think that each individual should make an attempt to clear the walkway around their homes, if possible. However, I don't believe that the city should be fining people to take care of their property.
How do you expect the city to take care of the sidewalks when they can't take care of the roads. Let's face it the roads are absolutely awful after a storm. Let's get the roads taken care of first.

“Everything is local”

Since: Apr 08

Great Barrington, MA

#8 Feb 3, 2009
YoureWelcome wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you expect the city to take care of the sidewalks when they can't take care of the roads. Let's face it the roads are absolutely awful after a storm. Let's get the roads taken care of first.
Pittsfield roads are awful, some year the roads will go from third world to second world, but not in most of our life times.
ya right

AOL

#9 Feb 3, 2009
agin everyone here is right..........ruberto is just trying to raise money.....he is a public servant correct?the city council are public servants correct?let them all show that they are in this economic mess along side us and lets see THEM go out and shovel a few city sidewalks and bridges..........it would be a great p.r. move
Up Too Early

United States

#10 Feb 4, 2009
Last summer, I saw three city workers industriously digging weeds out of the median strip curb by the bakery on East St. Obviously they were trying to keep busy while waiting for the first snowfall.
somewhat sane

Boston, MA

#11 Feb 4, 2009
pat the painter wrote:
<quoted text>
Pittsfield roads are awful, some year the roads will go from third world to second world, but not in most of our life times.
Yes, they should take care of the roads. And, just how is fining the homeowners for not clearing the city sidewalks going to help that?
Citizen

Russell, MA

#12 Feb 4, 2009
somewhat sane wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, they should take care of the roads. And, just how is fining the homeowners for not clearing the city sidewalks going to help that?
It's called misdirection, magicians use it all the time. While we're busy worrying about the sidewalks we don't have time to complain about the poor job being done by the city and it's leaders.
Wondering

Longmeadow, MA

#13 Feb 4, 2009
Jimmy G- Pittsfield MA wrote:
The city cries poor at every turn of the second hand, but they can afford to give big raises to some Dept. heads, such as the superintendant of schools nad tthe Buliding Dept. head, Ernie Fortini. They're laying off custodians and I've heard soon firemen and police too. They'll say they can't afford to clear the sidewalks, mark my words.I agree that some of the elderly and handicapped can't clear their walks, and callung them lazy wasn't fair.
He's one of THE GOOD OLD BOY'sand a Doyle/Ruberto Yes man.
Dave

Dallas, TX

#14 Feb 4, 2009
Up too early, Good afternoon. The city workers were waiting for the next batch of cookies...not snow...either that or they were waiting for their boss who was inside eating the cookies.
smiley

Lee, MA

#15 Feb 4, 2009
I just don't get it.If my 78 year old neighbor can shovel all the snow off the side walk in front of his house .Why cant the younger generation do it...Are they that lazy?Why is it when the city pass a law people goes nuts....face it if you want your mail you have to shovel....plus its a good work out for you and the fresh air is good for you too.
Jimmy G- Pittsfield MA

Clifton Park, NY

#16 Feb 4, 2009
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>He's one of THE GOOD OLD BOY'sand a Doyle/Ruberto Yes man.
Are you talking about Fortini or the Supt., or both?
ya right

AOL

#17 Feb 4, 2009
Jimmy G- Pittsfield MA wrote:
<quoted text>Are you talking about Fortini or the Supt., or both?
collingwood is doing a horrible job he should take a pay cut instead of laying off custodians what are his qualifications anway?
Studley

Chester, MA

#18 Feb 5, 2009
ya right wrote:
<quoted text> collingwood is doing a horrible job he should take a pay cut instead of laying off custodians what are his qualifications anway?
Chronic complainers or self proclaimed "Experts" on everything that have little knowledge of the process called "Snow Removal". You same people would complain if the streets were salted every storm and the streets were bare...you would say "Jeesh does Collingwood have to use so much salt? It is bad for the environment! or " I was walking down the side of the road because my sidewalk was not shoveled and I got salt on my shoes, walked in my house and made a mess, I want the City to replace my carpets! or how about this one..."So much salt my car is rotted, I want the City to buy me a new one!! or my favorite " Thanks for keeping the streets bare here in New England all winter, it was great! WHAT you are over budget on Snow Removal and you want more money! The nerve of this City!!!...What a bunch of whiners....Get a life and look in your own mirror for judgement..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Phil caliri jr (Sep '13) Aug 18 Elizabeth Caliri ex 17
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) Aug 16 Kundrot dionkie 1,163
Whats wrong with Warham MA (Jan '09) Aug 10 Lol 22
MA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Massachus... (Oct '10) Aug 2 Kundrot dionkie 4,699
Islanders express concerns about Pilgrim nuclear Jul '14 BDV 1
4th of july 2014 Jul '14 Evan 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Carver, MA (Jan '12) Jun '14 Anonymous 3
•••

Carver News Video

•••
•••

Carver Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••