First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Sham wow

Brooklet, GA

#1 Mar 5, 2014
I will not vote for this tax now for sure!! Saturday nite my wife was coming home from work and slid off the road due to all the inclement weather... A pemiscot county deputy tahoe drove by her without even stopping to check if she was ok. I mean really?? Not only once did he go by but twice and just kept driving as if nothing was wrong. What if it had been an medical emergency!! Tommy needs to clean house before asking for a tax increase.. I'm sorry but this is unacceptable!!! I've always been an advocate of the sheriffs dept but this just done me in!!!! Tommy if you don't know things like this are going on then you should and I hope you get to the bottom of it because it really makes you look bad!!
Hmmmm

United States

#2 Mar 5, 2014
Well where I was at (Pemiscot county) the bad weather didn't hit till Sunday morning early. So apparently someone has a personal vendetta against him or the deputies. I will admit I won't vote for the tax but I'm not going to make up false accusations over it. Just wonder why she would slide off the road when it was a dry night....
Voter

Farmington, MO

#3 Mar 5, 2014
Amen..if she slid off the road they would have stopped but it was sunday before the rain started....vote no you have that right, me and mine are all yes!
RoadRunner

Hayti, MO

#4 Mar 5, 2014
Sham wow wrote:
I will not vote for this tax now for sure!! Saturday nite my wife was coming home from work and slid off the road due to all the inclement weather... A pemiscot county deputy tahoe drove by her without even stopping to check if she was ok. I mean really?? Not only once did he go by but twice and just kept driving as if nothing was wrong. What if it had been an medical emergency!! Tommy needs to clean house before asking for a tax increase.. I'm sorry but this is unacceptable!!! I've always been an advocate of the sheriffs dept but this just done me in!!!! Tommy if you don't know things like this are going on then you should and I hope you get to the bottom of it because it really makes you look bad!!
I call you on this. i have heard nothing on the scanner except all the assisting that was being done. For the record it's Sheriff's Office, not department. You will now have to dream up another narrow minded complaint.
shakerma

Steele, MO

#5 Mar 5, 2014
dnt know what part he actually was in....but her in steele,,,didn't see nothing till late sunday..so she should have layed off the texting or the booze and wouldn't have slid off the road JS
Yes for tax proposition

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Mar 5, 2014
Pick up a flyer that's available that will explain exactly how important this tax is to Pemiscot County.
This tax will be mostly paid by out-of-county travelers due to the 2 major interstates coming through our county. AND due to WE the citizens of this county travel to other cities to shop DESPITE PAYING HIGHER TAXES THERE.
Shopping local will ONLY generate $1.25 PER 100.00 spent!!! We all spend way more than that shopping out of town as I know I sure do!$1.25 for every $100.00---THAT IS NOT ALOT!

ANOTHER FACT most citizens are unaware of is All vehicles used by the Sherrifs dept are purchased solely from the Law Enforcement Restitution Fund! Which is monies from court costs paid by criminal defendants!!!

We already go to neighboring towns and pay higher taxes. If both tax props pass it will bring avg sales tax between 7.975%-8.975%. We travel to Dyersburg & pay 9.750%! And Blytheville & pay 9.500%!

Only makes since to raise the sales tax in Pemiscot County and take advantage of the major interstate system that comes through which will generate much needed money for our county!

Pick up a flyer and read the info! Educate yourself! This county is going to decline if WE AS A WHOLE don't do something! VOTE YES!
Girl

Dexter, MO

#7 Mar 5, 2014
I will be voting no!! I think we all pay enough taxes as it is. If we get rid of all the thieves then maybe our city/county would have money..
dagwood

United States

#8 Mar 6, 2014
1.25 per 100.00........ You buy groceries 165.00 @ 7.725= 12.75..
tax the same 165.00 = 14.73 tax now x's this times 52 = 765.96 at new tax rate and 662.00 at the old tax rate. differ = 103.96... that you were paying toward other bills.... Now count the times you go out to eat... go to freds or dollar general... over a period of 12 months.. just buy household products etc....you have increased your SPEND tax by a good 1000.00 dollars... that could pay lights gas water etc... people should think about things BEFORE voting ! IF your having a hard time making ends meet now, higher taxes are not going to help pay your bills. I understand the need for our county, but there has to be other answers... the majority of the county are poor people getting poorer and depending more and more on the state. Lets think of something else. just my thoughts and I know i'm going to be bashed !
Sham wow

Brooklet, GA

#9 Mar 6, 2014
Excuse me folks it was Sunday nite!!! Any rate it happened!!
Highschool chick

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Mar 6, 2014
Sham wow wrote:
Excuse me folks it was Sunday nite!!! Any rate it happened!!
Your comments are somewhat uneducated and you have terrible grammar skills. Who is going to listen to someone like that? An uneducated fool making up stuff; please don't bother.
Vote yes

Saint Louis, MO

#11 Mar 6, 2014
dagwood wrote:
1.25 per 100.00........ You buy groceries 165.00 @ 7.725= 12.75..
tax the same 165.00 = 14.73 tax now x's this times 52 = 765.96 at new tax rate and 662.00 at the old tax rate. differ = 103.96... that you were paying toward other bills.... Now count the times you go out to eat... go to freds or dollar general... over a period of 12 months.. just buy household products etc....you have increased your SPEND tax by a good 1000.00 dollars... that could pay lights gas water etc... people should think about things BEFORE voting ! IF your having a hard time making ends meet now, higher taxes are not going to help pay your bills. I understand the need for our county, but there has to be other answers... the majority of the county are poor people getting poorer and depending more and more on the state. Lets think of something else. just my thoughts and I know i'm going to be bashed !
It's an additional 1.25 on 100.00! You apparently haven't educated yourself on this proposition so no one needs to listen to you.
What are the other answers? To have services for our county there has to be revenue. We aren't going to get help from the state or otherwise. My husband and I both work and we don't have a lot of money but I agree that this is much needed for our community to continue to have these services in our community. We all go to dyersburg and other towns and pay more in taxes because we buy more there than here locally. I just bought a new washer and dryer from Jackson & I paid over 80.00 for taxes to jackson when I could have kept that money in Pemiscot County. This has definitely woke me up to how I am hurting my own county!! I am going to start taking that into consideration and try to buy what I can here in my community.
Hardworking man

Saint Louis, MO

#12 Mar 6, 2014
Vote yes wrote:
<quoted text>
It's an additional 1.25 on 100.00! You apparently haven't educated yourself on this proposition so no one needs to listen to you.
What are the other answers? To have services for our county there has to be revenue. We aren't going to get help from the state or otherwise. My husband and I both work and we don't have a lot of money but I agree that this is much needed for our community to continue to have these services in our community. We all go to dyersburg and other towns and pay more in taxes because we buy more there than here locally. I just bought a new washer and dryer from Jackson & I paid over 80.00 for taxes to jackson when I could have kept that money in Pemiscot County. This has definitely woke me up to how I am hurting my own county!! I am going to start taking that into consideration and try to buy what I can here in my community.
I AGREE! PEOPLE NEED TO UNDERSTAND THIS! An extra 1.25$ per 100$ is chump change! That is one dollar and twenty-five cents per one hundred dollars addition to the tax we already have in place. It just gives it an easier understanding how little this tax increase is.
For every 100.00 you spend and extra 1.25 is added to the already in effect sales tax. Plain and simple! People need to stop freaking out on a tax increase and see what it's for, what it's about, educate themselves on the matter THEN decide.
I vote yes!
Those that vote no or doesn't even bother with going to the polls in April DONT COMPLAIN WHEN YOU LOSE SERVICES IN PEMISCOT COUNTY AND SEE THE TERRIBLE EFFECT IT PUT ON OUR COUNTY if this doesn't pass!
Hardworking man

Saint Louis, MO

#13 Mar 6, 2014
Yes for tax proposition wrote:
Pick up a flyer that's available that will explain exactly how important this tax is to Pemiscot County.
This tax will be mostly paid by out-of-county travelers due to the 2 major interstates coming through our county. AND due to WE the citizens of this county travel to other cities to shop DESPITE PAYING HIGHER TAXES THERE.
Shopping local will ONLY generate $1.25 PER 100.00 spent!!! We all spend way more than that shopping out of town as I know I sure do!$1.25 for every $100.00---THAT IS NOT ALOT!
ANOTHER FACT most citizens are unaware of is All vehicles used by the Sherrifs dept are purchased solely from the Law Enforcement Restitution Fund! Which is monies from court costs paid by criminal defendants!!!
We already go to neighboring towns and pay higher taxes. If both tax props pass it will bring avg sales tax between 7.975%-8.975%. We travel to Dyersburg & pay 9.750%! And Blytheville & pay 9.500%!
Only makes since to raise the sales tax in Pemiscot County and take advantage of the major interstate system that comes through which will generate much needed money for our county!
Pick up a flyer and read the info! Educate yourself! This county is going to decline if WE AS A WHOLE don't do something! VOTE YES!
Get a flyer on the tax proposition and read it! At least it will hopefully educate the uneducated on how our county is and will be affected! Have an open mind until you learn first-hand from a reputable source as to how this is going to be beneficial if it passes or detrimental if it doesn't.
taxpayer

Steele, MO

#14 Mar 6, 2014
tommy is pissing to much taxes off and crying for more. no new tax for the sheriff. we pay 2 taxes now for the sheriff dep.
Not again

Saint Louis, MO

#15 Mar 6, 2014
taxpayer wrote:
tommy is pissing to much taxes off and crying for more. no new tax for the sheriff. we pay 2 taxes now for the sheriff dep.
Educate yourself please on the issue! THIS IS NOT A TAX FOR THE SHERIFFS DEPT. Talk to your elected officials so you can understand what is going on in your county instead of pea-sized brain people that freak out on something so small yet impacts this county for the better.

Read slowly:
Is anyone aware of this fact?

What can you say about your buying habits?
Not again

Saint Louis, MO

#16 Mar 6, 2014
THE SHERIFFS DEPT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIA TAX PROPOSITION!
Well

Farmington, MO

#17 Mar 6, 2014
Yes one is for law enforcement, one is for dispatch. The third is proprty tax for hospital. That is big fat no. Yes on both sales for me
taxpayer

Steele, MO

#18 Mar 6, 2014
Not again wrote:
<quoted text>
Educate yourself please on the issue! THIS IS NOT A TAX FOR THE SHERIFFS DEPT. Talk to your elected officials so you can understand what is going on in your county instead of pea-sized brain people that freak out on something so small yet impacts this county for the better.
Read slowly:
Is anyone aware of this fact?
What can you say about your buying habits?
cut back on all the suvs use the law enforcement restitution funds for 911. we are paying to many taxes for the sherrifs off. now. hell no on new tax.
dagwood

United States

#19 Mar 7, 2014
Vote yes wrote:
<quoted text>
I am very educated and I know taxes... I'm taxed to death ! You on the other hand would be shocked at the taxes that are already collected in this county, that the county has to spend.
NOW if you bought your stuff in Dyersburg thats YOUR fault, not mine. I have always bought everything I an buy in the county here!
IF you can't figure out that the increase is going to cost you on every single item you buy and will INCREASE your yearly spend tax at the store to no less than 1000.00 (mostly on groceries) you better catch up on your math.. wouldn't you rather spend that money on your kids, home, vacation, etc. unless your so rich a 1000.00 doesn't mean anything to you. Actually if you figure in all your spending it will be far more than a grand.!!
Try your local pharmacy, hair dresser, furniture store, flower shops, etc...and help your community! I do ! I also pay 911 tax on my landlines...hospital taxes... road taxes, property tax and personal property tax , people need to learn to balance the spread sheet.
no way

San Jose, CA

#20 Mar 9, 2014
I will not vote for tax...sheriff's office may want consider not letting deputies use car or sub for personal use with gas county tax money pays for...prime example all the deputies that use them to take their kids to school daily..do they not own personal car

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Caruthersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MO Ferguson Police Are Being Relieved Of Their Dut... 31 min Mugsy 2,795
MO Ferguson Police Chief Just Shocked Everyone Wit... 50 min Mugsy 488
stomach virus 1 hr guest 1
ISO 4 bedroom house to buy!!!! 3 hr Joey 4
Republican Policies Incompatable with Christian... 4 hr Tiger High 10
From CHS 6 hr guest 2
where you go 11 hr Just sAying 2
•••
•••
•••