Corruption in Caruthersville - 1960's

Since: Aug 07

Sikeston, MO

#55 Sep 19, 2007
papa bear wrote:
Ive seen steel gates at Cape. Never here.
The crossties have worked for 50 years, So I guess they are ok.
Why are we talking about sea wall gates on a Corruption site. Just a little sidetracked?
See wall, not sea wall. It should be flood wall. When it was finished, our forfathers saw a wall. Hense, The See Wall.
Ridge Boy

Risco, MO

#57 Sep 20, 2007
seayers wrote:
<quoted text>
Clyde Orton was hit broadside by someone named Carrol Miller headed to Deering. He was turning left into the field road to turn around and Miller started to pass him. He had to be cut out of the car. He was taked to Hayti ER where they CLAIM he had a heart attack. The truth is they killed him when they paralyzed his muscles to intubate him to take him to his lung doctor in Jonesboro. They stopped his heart by giving him too much medication. He did NOT have a heart attack. I know because I am his daughter.
Please forgive me. It was not my intent to post anything incorrect about the death of your father. It was a long time ago and as I get older my memory is not as good as it one was. I do remember the other vehicle being involved. There was a man and a woman as I recall standing along side the highway that was in the other car. Your father’s car was in the ditch on the south side of the highway. I asked Clyde what happened, and where he was hurting. He was unable to respond. Then Bubba came up. I think he may have already been at the scene of the accident and had gone to call for an ambulance. I hauled voters for Clyde when I was a kid of a boy. Carried Mrs. Mayo, Wesley’s mother, to vote on the back of a horse from her house to the old grocery store at Kinfolks Ridge before I was old enough to have a driver’s license. They lived a short distance from the store, so she did not have to ride very far.

Sikeston, MO

#58 Sep 20, 2007
My pop helped to get him ousted. I can still see him shaken his head when he was re elected.
Cruvell

Edgar Springs, MO

#59 Sep 20, 2007
When the Chapparal first got built, it was a mighty nice place. Very fancy for its day. You couldn't build a place like that on a civil servant's salary! You could get a rum & coke or a 7 & 7 in a plastic cup through the drive-in window on Sunday. It wasn't legal, but nobody cared, especially the sheriff.

Sikeston, MO

#61 Sep 20, 2007
jake wrote:
Why was it illegal? He was open 7 days a week and had a package liquor liscense.
Hey man ask Big Time, he'll tell ya why.

Sikeston, MO

#63 Sep 21, 2007
That's cool information.

Since: Sep 07

AOL

#64 Sep 21, 2007
At the time The Casanova was the classiest around, and guess what, yep, it was owned by Eddie and Jaybird.
I have heard Eddie mentioned with Jaybird before. I never knew Eddie's last name or what happened to him.I rememeber the Chap and Casanova,both classy in their time. This is interedting stuff.

AOL

#65 Sep 21, 2007
Sorry, meant "interesting" I need more coffee!
seayers

Martinsburg, MO

#66 Sep 21, 2007
Ridge Boy - no need for apology. I was just clarifying what REALLY happened. It was horrible. Alot of people THOUGHT he died of natural causes, but he didn't.

The Chaparral had a legal license to sell liquor on Sundays because over half their income came from food sales. Back then, it wasn't illegal to sell to-go mixed drinks. Or if it was, every place wss doing it.

Eddie's last name was Chilton.

I don't dispute that my dad didn't do everything right, but he did alot of good too.
seayers

Martinsburg, MO

#67 Sep 21, 2007
Eddie Chilton just died recently.

AOL

#69 Sep 21, 2007
Seayers and Jake, thank you both for the info. I agree about Clyde, he wasn't perfect by any means,no one on this earth is, but all the good he did far out weighed the bad..
G-G-G-

Festus, MO

#70 Sep 21, 2007
You are going back too far, lot's happen while Jack Davis was sheriff.
Cruvell

Edgar Springs, MO

#71 Sep 21, 2007
What was the dispute between Buddy Cook and Bo Young? I know that Bo had the vending machines, but what did Buddy do for a living?

“Decent and TAKEN”

Since: Feb 07

CARUTHERSVILLE

#72 Sep 21, 2007
G-G-G- wrote:
You are going back too far, lot's happen while Jack Davis was sheriff.
You can't leave out thad Shelly either.
Cruvell

Edgar Springs, MO

#73 Sep 21, 2007
Why did the Globe-Democrat and Atty. Gen. Danforth have a crusade against the bootheel and Clyde?

Sikeston, MO

#74 Sep 22, 2007
Because you saint charles people kept nose'in around.
Ridge Boy

Dexter, MO

#77 Sep 22, 2007
jake wrote:
Anybody remember Jerry Wolf Getting shot and killed at Doc's Bar. Bartender (Loyld Holcomb) shot him and ended up getting away with it.
Was Jerry Wolf Don Wolf’s brother? They lived on the Cottonwood Road south of McCarty.

Saint Louis, MO

#79 Sep 22, 2007
papa bear wrote:
Caruthersville and what they called "the south end of the county" ran things. We were like the capital of Bootlegging, Election Fraud, Illegal gambling, and other things.
They would rig elections by hauling voters from Blytheville and voting dead people too.
They thought Clyde would be a good Sheriff for them and they elected him. Turned out to be a bad idea. The people of Pemiscot County really liked him, But with voter registeration they couldn't get him out. I better stop there.
papa bear who to say we're not still the capital??
Tattletale

Caruthersville, MO

#81 Sep 22, 2007
There are some interesting stories in this thread. Didn't know cville had such a history. Thanks for the info.
seayers

Saint Louis, MO

#82 Sep 22, 2007
Getting Old wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't leave out thad Shelly either.
Thad was appointed after the ouster trial in 1971. Mrs. Clyde Orton ran against him in the special election because they wouldn't let Daddy run. She almost won, too. Thad finished that term and won one more. Then Jack Houser was in for one term. Haven't heard of him since. Clyde was re-elected and served again from 1980-1988 when Jack Davis was elected and he served until Tommy ran and beat him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Caruthersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Will 47 min to too two 2
Whitney 56 min bsmo 16
Trinity layoff 1 hr dodo 6
Obama lowers oil prices and raises stock market... (Nov '13) 1 hr Not Racist 20
Lee 22 hr guest 8
jiffy jims (May '12) 22 hr wth 13
freaky women is caruthersville (Feb '16) Thu licker 39

Caruthersville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance