Corruption in Caruthersville - 1960's

Posted in the Caruthersville Forum

First Prev
of 22
Next Last
Cruvell

Springfield, MO

#1 Sep 17, 2007
Who remembers Sheriff Clyde Orton, Jaybird, the girls by the seawall, bootlegging, the Climax, election-rigging, crooked cops, graft, extortion, and people winding up dead?
Cruvell

Springfield, MO

#4 Sep 17, 2007
The Remember Back When thread seems to focus more on where to eat back then. I'm good for discussions on the differences between the burgers and decor at Wendy's and Cindy's, but it seems to me that who killed Jaybird and why they did it ought to be in a different discussion entirely.
no one

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Sep 18, 2007
I'll bite, who killed Jaybird?
nonblonde

Caruthersville, MO

#9 Sep 18, 2007
i think you are trying to stir shit and tick people off with those questions. Leave it where it belongs, in the past.
no one

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Sep 18, 2007
jake wrote:
The same ones rhat had Bo Young killed.
Do you really think Buddy Cook was behind both of them or someone else?

Since: Sep 07

AOL

#11 Sep 18, 2007
I heard they were murdered years ago, Was anyone ever charged with the murders?
quest123

Caruthersville, MO

#13 Sep 18, 2007
And who stole all the bobtrucks full of grain and took them across the river??? And who killed the girl on boatclub road ? I think they said her name was sue ?? not sure on that.
geronamo5050

United States

#15 Sep 18, 2007
Buddy Cook died in Prison!the on's who stole the trucks of grain were punished.as far as the girl that was murdered on the boat club road i don't think they ever found out who did that one, or at least they can't prove it.she told who did it before she died is what i heard .
Cruvell

Edgar Springs, MO

#16 Sep 18, 2007
ezbreezybeautiful wrote:
Who was Bo and Jaybird? And why were they Murdered?
"Bo" was Harold J. Young. He ran a company called Broadway Music, a vending machine business. Vending machines generate a lot of untraceable cash.

"Jaybird" was Lee J. Gatewood. Some newspaper articles referred to him as "the crime boss" in Pemiscot County. He was gunned down at his house in February, 1969.
Cruvell

Edgar Springs, MO

#18 Sep 18, 2007
quest123 wrote:
And who stole all the bobtrucks full of grain and took them across the river??? And who killed the girl on boatclub road ? I think they said her name was sue ?? not sure on that.
Wasn't there a flood back in the '70's, when the steel floodgates for the levee could not be found? The rumor was that a city or county official had stolen them and sold them for scrap. Anybody know who that was?

Saint Louis, MO

#19 Sep 18, 2007
There never were any steel floodgates to my knowledge.They have always used railroad ties with sandbags piled in between them.

“Decent and TAKEN”

Since: Feb 07

CARUTHERSVILLE

#21 Sep 18, 2007
Anybody remember the teacher that was supposed to buried under the parking lot of Bad Bob's?

Caruthersville, MO

#22 Sep 18, 2007
Cruvell wrote:
<quoted text>
Wasn't there a flood back in the '70's, when the steel floodgates for the levee could not be found? The rumor was that a city or county official had stolen them and sold them for scrap. Anybody know who that was?
I think I might have heard this story somewhere too.
A Real Bootheel Lady

United States

#23 Sep 18, 2007
I don't remember a teacher being buried out by Bad Bob's, who was that suppose to be?
bssouth2007

United States

#24 Sep 18, 2007
Cruvell wrote:
<quoted text>
The gates were made of the same shape and size as the wall. I understood they were made of and poured of the same concrete and steel the wall was. They were missing way before needed, but Corp. records show they were constructed.
bssouth2007

United States

#25 Sep 18, 2007
Ya'll need to seriously let some of this stuff just lay. Honestly just let some of it die. There are still some around that don't need to hear it drug up. And I'm not talking about the flood gates.

Since: Aug 07

Sikeston, MO

#26 Sep 19, 2007
Getting Old wrote:
Anybody remember the teacher that was supposed to buried under the parking lot of Bad Bob's?
Mickey Poole.

Sikeston, MO

#27 Sep 19, 2007
guest wrote:
There never were any steel floodgates to my knowledge.They have always used railroad ties with sandbags piled in between them.
This information is exactly right. There were never any gates per say.

Sikeston, MO

#28 Sep 19, 2007
A Real Bootheel Lady wrote:
I don't remember a teacher being buried out by Bad Bob's, who was that suppose to be?
He was an assistant football coach, Fall '77'.

Sikeston, MO

#29 Sep 19, 2007
jake wrote:
<quoted text>He was found guilty of it and still doing time (if he didn't die) in Tenn. Jaybird was shot one night going in his house.
Eddie Chilton had the shrubs cut down from around his house after that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 22
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Caruthersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Town needs a drug bust 29 min guest 24
Drop a word add a word 7 hr Dog 30
City Stickers 9 hr Barbara Ann 8
Richie/Teresa 21 hr Yuck 33
Night Owls ? What!? Sun Cuddlesome 1
Pecans Dec 7 Guest 6
Who will be Caruthersville’s next Mayor? Dec 7 Not you 10

Caruthersville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance