First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tom Tidwell

United States

#1 Apr 20, 2012
Missouri is one of several states in line to dispense 15 percent ethanol based gasoline. Great for farmers and the taxes the state would receive. Bad for us as consumers since the gasoline we now have at 10 percent already decreases mileage per gallon as much as 4 percent. By going to 15 percent base, we'll burn even more gasoline per mile thus the government collecting even more fuel tax!

“GOP Redistribution is Fascism”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#2 Apr 20, 2012
Tom Tidwell wrote:
Missouri is one of several states in line to dispense 15 percent ethanol based gasoline. Great for farmers and the taxes the state would receive. Bad for us as consumers since the gasoline we now have at 10 percent already decreases mileage per gallon as much as 4 percent. By going to 15 percent base, we'll burn even more gasoline per mile thus the government collecting even more fuel tax!
Agreed. Ethanol is like watering down gas with piss... no telling what it does to the life of the engine.

Location hidden

#3 Apr 20, 2012
Now if you put some algae in there, you will get some really great mileage!
shoe bottom

Caruthersville, MO

#4 Apr 20, 2012
shut...up! U guy's have no idea what you're talkin about....knee pad user!

Location hidden

#5 Apr 20, 2012
shoe bottom wrote:
shut...up! U guy's have no idea what you're talkin about....knee pad user!
Umm... okay. Whatever you say, oh erudite one.
Gene

Caruthersville, MO

#6 Apr 21, 2012
Tom Tidwell wrote:
Now you know what Obama meant by his energy bill would increase prices. Govt mandated all cars to be more fuel efficient. Oil industry seen less oil consumption in the future and fed us the excuse "we're running out of oil" back in 07 and 08. Another lie from the oil industry. So now we are forced to use higher alcohol grain fuel and get less MPG by 15% Ethanol blend fuels. Its like a see-saw at a playground. Once it teeters one way, the opposite totters to balance the load. The consumer cant never win because the greed always wins.

The only increase I can see is small engine repair shop will be making more $$$$ because even now the 10% blend is havoc on small engines.

There is only one pump I know of in the area that sells pure grade 87% gasoline. It is beside the Ford dealership in Dyersburg, but you will pay more for it. The whole gas bullshit scam sucks, and the consumer cant do a damn thing about it even if we vote out some and put new in. They still will find an excuse to feed the greed.

Trumann, AR

#7 Apr 22, 2012
I have an older 4wheeler and this new gas is gumming up the carb something awful! what will this new stuff do to it? anyone else having this problem? New one is fuel injected and not having problems with it yet, older one is having hell though
Tom Tidwell

United States

#8 Apr 22, 2012
guest wrote:
I have an older 4wheeler and this new gas is gumming up the carb something awful! what will this new stuff do to it? anyone else having this problem? New one is fuel injected and not having problems with it yet, older one is having hell though
Method in their madness there too! Wanting to phase out all our older vehicles and force us into something newer!
I call BS

Navarre, FL

#9 Apr 22, 2012
Carlton McLemore wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. Ethanol is like watering down gas with piss... no telling what it does to the life of the engine.
If it waters down gasoline and harms the engine why is NASCAR using it?
NASCAR made the American Ethanol partnership announcement just weeks after announcing a switch in its major national series to Sunoco Green E15, a new 15-percent ethanol blend fuel made with corn grown in the United States.
hillary

Trumann, AR

#10 Apr 22, 2012
I call BS wrote:
<quoted text>
NASCAR made the American Ethanol partnership announcement just weeks after announcing a switch in its major national series to Sunoco Green E15, a new 15-percent ethanol blend fuel made with corn grown in the United States.
maybe it's ok with them because they go through so much fuel and it doesn't sit in their tanks for very long like it does in some of our cars and especially atv's and motorcycles. my mechanic told me to ride my old atv ALOT and don't let the gas sit in their long.
morethaonebenefi t

Poplar Bluff, MO

#11 Apr 22, 2012
I call BS wrote:
<quoted text>
Grain ethanol is at least 59 percent cleaner than conventional gasoline. Growth Energy has officially petitioned to increase the allowable blend of ethanol in transportation fuel for everyday American motorists from 10 percent to 15 percent, which would help create 136,000 new American jobs.
I call BS

Navarre, FL

#12 Apr 22, 2012
hillary wrote:
<quoted text>maybe it's ok with them because they go through so much fuel and it doesn't sit in their tanks for very long like it does in some of our cars and especially atv's and motorcycles. my mechanic told me to ride my old atv ALOT and don't let the gas sit in their long.
Ummm...That is a common fact with all gasoline engines even before ethanol.
Here's Why
Unlike crude oil, gasoline is a highly refined product brewed to a certain chemical composition with very specific characteristics. One characteristic of gas is volatility, a term used to describe how easily and under what conditions the gas vaporizes so it can be efficiently burned in your car's engine.
The most highly volatile components in gasoline also tend to evaporate over time. As they do, the remaining fuel's volatility and ability to combust properly degrades. The less volatile the fuel, the less effectively it burns in your engine. The result is diminished engine performance. Your engine may still start and run, but it probably won't run as well.
The good news is, once the old gas has been consumed and the tank is topped off with fresh fuel, the problem should cure itself. Evaporation of volatile compounds can be limited by making sure the gas cap is secured tightly. For the same reason, be sure all portable gas containers are sealed tightly as well.
hillary

Trumann, AR

#13 Apr 22, 2012
that is way over my head, all i know is that the gas used to not mess up the carb and now it does. I guess that's all I need to know, but thanks for explaining it to the ones who understand that kind of stuff :)
I call BS

Navarre, FL

#14 Apr 22, 2012
hillary wrote:
that is way over my head, all i know is that the gas used to not mess up the carb and now it does. I guess that's all I need to know, but thanks for explaining it to the ones who understand that kind of stuff :)
Sorry,what all that means is gasoline breaks down.The longer it sits in the tank the less flammable it becomes. My point was ethanol doesn't make this problem worse.
hilllary

Trumann, AR

#15 Apr 22, 2012
ok, gotcha

Location hidden

#16 Apr 23, 2012
I call BS wrote:
<quoted text>
Why wouldn't they? Like they can't afford to? They're just caving in to evirobullshoot.

Location hidden

#17 Apr 23, 2012
I call BS wrote:
<quoted text>
Ummm...That is a common fact with all gasoline engines even before ethanol.
Here's Why
Unlike crude oil, gasoline is a highly refined product brewed to a certain chemical composition with very specific characteristics. One characteristic of gas is volatility, a term used to describe how easily and under what conditions the gas vaporizes so it can be efficiently burned in your car's engine.
The most highly volatile components in gasoline also tend to evaporate over time. As they do, the remaining fuel's volatility and ability to combust properly degrades. The less volatile the fuel, the less effectively it burns in your engine. The result is diminished engine performance. Your engine may still start and run, but it probably won't run as well.
The good news is, once the old gas has been consumed and the tank is topped off with fresh fuel, the problem should cure itself. Evaporation of volatile compounds can be limited by making sure the gas cap is secured tightly. For the same reason, be sure all portable gas containers are sealed tightly as well.
Next you'll be telling us to make sure we have plenty of air in our tires.

Location hidden

#18 Apr 23, 2012
morethaonebenefit wrote:
<quoted text>
Grain ethanol is at least 59 percent cleaner than conventional gasoline. Growth Energy has officially petitioned to increase the allowable blend of ethanol in transportation fuel for everyday American motorists from 10 percent to 15 percent, which would help create 136,000 new American jobs.
How 'bout the benefit of driving up the price of corn and food? Fueling (pun intended) world hunger?

Location hidden

#19 Apr 23, 2012
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25936782/ns/busin...

Mechanics see ethanol damaging small engines
Fuel blend, already implicated in high food prices, linked to rise in repairs

Rick Kitchings has been a small-engine mechanic for about 30 years, and he’s been busier than ever lately.

Recently, a customer came into his shop in Savannah, Ga., with a string trimmer that had barely been used.“It looked like it just came off the showroom floor, but the motor was absolutely shot, absolutely worn out,” Kitchings said.

The owner had fueled the trimmer with an gasoline-ethanol blend, which is becoming increasingly common thanks to a federal mandate to convert to biofuels.

Although the Web is rife with complaints from car owners who say ethanol damaged their engines, ethanol producers and automakers say it’s safe to use in cars. But smaller engines — the two-cycle utility engines in lawnmowers, chain saws and outboard boat motors — are another story.

Benjamin Mallisham, owner of a lawnmower repair shop in Tuscaloosa, Ala., said at least 40 percent of the lawnmower engines he repairs these days have been damaged by ethanol.

“When you put that ethanol in here, it eats up the insides or rusts them out,” Mallisham said.“All the rubber gaskets and parts — it eats those up.”

The sludge problem

Auto mechanics say the same thing takes place in car engines, where debris dislodged by ethanol in gas station fuel tanks can gum things up. But car engines are highly sophisticated; especially in later models, they’re equipped to comfortably handle the fallout of ethanol-blended gas, mechanics said.

The Renewable Fuels Association, a trade group for ethanol producers based in Washington, says there’s no evidence that ethanol can damage smaller engines, either.

“Tests completed on lawnmowers, chainsaws, weed trimmers and blower vacs with ethanol fuels showed no engine failures, no unscheduled maintenance and good performance,” the association said.

But mechanics across the country insist that as gasoline blended with ethanol takes over in more gas stations, lawnmowers and boat motors everywhere are choking.

“They’re starving for gas, because the little needle holes in them are stopped up with the gel that happens when that stuff breaks down,” Mallisham said.“It stops them up so it can’t run.”

Here’s what happens: In smaller engines, ethanol can create a chain reaction of events that end up clogging valves and rusting out small metal parts — including, crucially, carburetors.

“When you mix ethanol with your fuel, you’ve now put a chemical substance in there that’s going to attract moisture, which is going to promote a quicker deterioration of the fuel that you have,” said Bob Magnotti, owner of Magnotti’s Small Engine Service in Roanoke, Va.

In effect, said Doug Ryms, a mechanic at Como Mower Service in Columbus, Ohio,“the alcohol actually dissipates the oil. So on a two-cycle engine, you’re lubricating the engine, but the oil is being pushed away, so it’s actually not lubricating the engine.”

That creates a gummy residue, called shellack, that clogs filters and hoses. And it does no good to follow the rocking-chair wisdom that says you’ll be fine if you drain the tank before you gas it back up.

“People will tell you you can take the gas out of them and it won’t happen, but it’s the residue that does the damage,” Mallisham said.

Location hidden

#20 Apr 23, 2012
Ethanol already under pressure

Most gasoline sold in the United States is now mixed with up to 10 percent ethanol, according to industry estimates. Use of the blended fuel, often called E10, has grown with a federal mandate designed to boost the levels of renewable fuels at the pump. In many areas, it’s the only gasoline widely sold.

The fuel blend has been the focus of debate in recent months as analysts and some farmers say the diversion of corn to ethanol production has led to higher prices for corn in its use as a food crop. The Environmental Protection Agency is considering a request for a temporary 50 percent cut in new mandates for ethanol production because of concern that they are helping drive up food costs.

In a study released this week, researchers at Purdue University in Indiana found that corn prices had risen to $4 a bushel, the highest in a decade, largely because of the higher prices farmers can demand from fuel producers.

“Three dollars was just because the price of oil went up and the market demanded more ethanol to substitute for gasoline,” said Wallace E. Tyner, co-director of Purdue’s Center for Global Trade Analysis.

David Summers, a biofuels researcher at Missouri University of Science and Technology in Rolla, said that while ethanol was cheaper to produce than pure gasoline because it is subsidized, vehicles may also get fewer miles to the gallon.

“It was the wonder fuel to get us out of trouble — and it won’t,” he said.

When you add in its tendency to damage some engines, many mechanics and green fuel advocates are asking whether ethanol is worth it.

“There is no massive PR machine working to point out the downsides of ethanol, like there is on the other side,” said Christa Westerberg, a lawyer in Stoughton, Wis., who has represented opponents of ethanol plants in Wisconsin.

Rick Kitchings, the mechanic in Georgia, said consumers simply should insist on pure gasoline for their small utility engines.

“Theoretically, avoid ethanol,” he said.“Avoid ethanol.”

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Caruthersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stolen Firearm 2 hr riskit 6
lost puppie 7 hr karen 1
Caruthersville Mayoral Election 7 hr Hmmm 6
Loxgreen.... 9 hr sad 3
Job Openings at C-ville School. Mon Hmm 21
15 dresses once owned by Whitney Houston will b... Mon Guest 2
City pays for Art show Mon guest 10
Caruthersville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web