Church that Okay's gambling

Church that Okay's gambling

Posted in the Caruthersville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
GUEST

Saint Louis, MO

#1 Jul 20, 2008
I read some where that a church in Steele, is doin a rafle drawing to raise money. Just wondering when did churches need money so bad they had to change their standards and start promoting gambling.
tommy

Saint Louis, MO

#2 Jul 20, 2008
you have to be kiding me......that is against all churches standards....that must be 1 more money starved church.....what is the name of it
unreal

Saint Louis, MO

#3 Jul 20, 2008
Im not sure what the name of the church but that Damesworth guy is the pastor. I can't believe any church would sell raffle tickets. Maybe they will start selling lotto tickets.

“GOP Redistribution is Fascism”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#4 Jul 20, 2008
GUEST wrote:
I read some where that a church in Steele, is doin a rafle drawing to raise money. Just wondering when did churches need money so bad they had to change their standards and start promoting gambling.
Catholics have been doing it for years.
unchurchy

Salina, KS

#5 Jul 20, 2008
Hey go you "good christian" people bashing each other again! Your imaginary friend isn't going to be happy! lmao
unreal

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Jul 20, 2008
Who said we were good christian people.
guest

Chesterfield, MO

#7 Jul 21, 2008
actually its the bible that says the "church building" itself should not be used as a place to sell things. Its speaks of a big sale going on in a church and Jesus coming in and turning all the tables upside down.

“Radical Islam! Radical Islam! ”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#8 Jul 21, 2008
guest wrote:
actually its the bible that says the "church building" itself should not be used as a place to sell things. Its speaks of a big sale going on in a church and Jesus coming in and turning all the tables upside down.
Thank you enlightened one. What kind of church building was it and what kind of a sale did they have going on?
someone acting stupid

United States

#9 Jul 22, 2008
unreal wrote:
Im not sure what the name of the church but that Damesworth guy is the pastor. I can't believe any church would sell raffle tickets. Maybe they will start selling lotto tickets.
Don't say the damesworth guy is the pastor and act dumb!!! YOU KNOW HIS NAME you just wanted to play stupid and get his name put out there. There is always some trouble makers. If you want to see this as gambling thats your bussiness. But at least didnt sneak around and hide it like some things are!!!!!!!!
Not a Literalist

Traverse City, MI

#10 Jul 22, 2008
guest wrote:
actually its the bible that says the "church building" itself should not be used as a place to sell things. Its speaks of a big sale going on in a church and Jesus coming in and turning all the tables upside down.
So why do churches take up a collection and handle money at services? Why don't they obey the Bible?
Guest

Chanute, KS

#11 Jul 22, 2008
FOr real! That's all churches care about is that almighty collection plate!!!!!!!!
90 Grad of Delta C-7

Smyrna, TN

#12 Jul 22, 2008
Matthew 21:11-13
12Jesus entered the temple area and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves. 13"It is written," he said to them, "My house will be called a house of prayer, but you are making it a den of robbers."

Having a "raffle" to raise money, may not mean it is for the church. It may be money for their youth, mission project, to help needy families during the holidays. It does not say anywhere in the Bible it is a SIN to gamble, but what it does say is anything you do in excess is a sin. That is why so many people think gambling is a sin, because so many people do it in excess. A lot of christians/churches look down on gambling because of what the people did with Jesus' clothes at the cross. While Jesus' was hanging and dying on the cross, they were casting lots for his clothes.
Guest

Caruthersville, MO

#13 Jul 22, 2008
Carlton McLemore wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholics have been doing it for years.
How so?

“GOP Redistribution is Fascism”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#14 Jul 23, 2008
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
How so?
Raffles. As far as I know, there is no Catholic prohibition against gambling either.
anybody

Caruthersville, MO

#15 Jul 23, 2008
I CANNOT believe churches have stept so low as to "Raffle". I don't even go to church and I know church and gambling dont mix. Sorry but i do associate raffeling as gambling......
Odd Man Out

Saint Louis, MO

#16 Jul 23, 2008
anybody wrote:
I CANNOT believe churches have stept so low as to "Raffle". I don't even go to church and I know church and gambling dont mix. Sorry but i do associate raffeling as gambling......
Maybe if you did attend church, you may not be so prone to judge !!!
JUDGE NOT LEAST YE BE JUDGED !!!!
anybody

Caruthersville, MO

#17 Jul 23, 2008
Sounds to me like YOU are "Judging" yourself!!! You must be one of those gamblers!
common sense

United States

#18 Jul 23, 2008
Does your church have fire insurance? When you buy any kind of insurance you are making a bet with the insurance company. It is a bet that you hope you will not win, but it is a bet.

The insurance companies base their rates on the same math as the Las Vegas bookmakers. That is why buildings with wooden shingles pay a higher rate than those with metal roofs. They are more likely to "win" the bet by burning.

Life is a gamble.
User

United States

#19 Jul 23, 2008
I doubt this church pays insurance either, I know they still have outstanding bills from when they built it.
odds man

Friendship, AR

#20 Jul 24, 2008
common sense wrote:
Does your church have fire insurance? When you buy any kind of insurance you are making a bet with the insurance company. It is a bet that you hope you will not win, but it is a bet.
The insurance companies base their rates on the same math as the Las Vegas bookmakers. That is why buildings with wooden shingles pay a higher rate than those with metal roofs. They are more likely to "win" the bet by burning.
Life is a gamble.
Sounds like a compulsive gambler trying to justify something. I hardly think that getting car or home insurance is the same as going to a casino. Insurance protects you in case of a loss. Slots and the craps table don't really offer any protection, do they? Sure, insurance is based on calculated odds but so are a lot of things. I'm not saying that it's wrong to gamble, the bible doesn't say that but I wouldn't stretch it so far as to equate gambling with buying insurance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Caruthersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trinity 29 min crazy 8
dons place 4 hr unknown 2
Brandon Strawns girl beat up 5 hr Tiffany Pearl 9
Flying white bugs 7 hr farmer 4
Myers Family (Mar '11) 12 hr In the know 12
The Lion's Den (Aug '07) 14 hr BiBoy2015 39
$2.00 a gallon gas. Thanks Obama Thu Not a Fan 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Caruthersville Mortgages