Bernie Tiede
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
M J Reed

United States

#1 Dec 25, 2009
Where is Bernie Tiede today? is he steal living?
Whatever happend to to Mrs nugent fortune?
did she have family?very sad story may God bless her!

Since: Jun 09

Scrotum, Idaho

#2 Jan 3, 2010
M J Reed wrote:
Where is Bernie Tiede today? is he steal living?
Whatever happend to to Mrs nugent fortune?
did she have family?very sad story may God bless her!
Believe Bernie is working his charm down at Huntsville these days - and will be for many more years.

Supposedly Mrs. Nugent had a son who resides out in Amarillo or Lubbock but they didn't speak for years before she was killed.

No idea about what happened to her money.
Duke Steele

United States

#3 Aug 16, 2010
NEWSFLASH!

Jack Black will play the part of Bernie in the upcoming motion picture of this little adventure.

Maybe they'll have a movie night out and Bernie can see it.
Mister E

Dallas, TX

#4 Aug 27, 2010
Mrs. Mugabe was estranged from her family. For God's sake her own grandchildren sued her for their inheritance. It was a very dysfunctional family. She lay there for 10 months waiting for someone to care enough to come looking for her. The only reason her son cared was the money. Bernie was a good man. He made a huge mistake, but under that kind of ongoing mental abuse anything is possible. I can't condemn or condone. He was a personal friend and the first person I ever met who truly cared for others and did everything in his means to make them feel special. When he asked 'how are you doing' he truly meant it and you could tell. Bernie is in Beeville State Prison with his first parole hearing 8/20/2027. He cared and that's a side this gruesome story could never share unless you knew him. I knew him personally and my life is better for having known him.
Duke Steele

United States

#5 Aug 28, 2010
Bernie may have been perceived as a wonderful person, but he murdered Mrs. Nugent.

And let's not forget that a significant part of this perception was due to his generosity -

Courtesy of Mrs. Nugent's bank account.
Mister E

Dallas, TX

#6 Aug 28, 2010
Bernie had been given 100% of her assets as part of the trust and will because her family was beyond disfunctional. It was his to spend at that point. When he shot her he gave up that up. At that point, he owned the airport, had limitless funds and was a trained mortician so he could have made her disappear, but he didn't. He waited until someone cared enough to look and it took 9 months... Until then he kept investing in the lives of others. What he did was completely wrong to the absolute extreme, but before you cast the first stone you might look into your own closet. He made a difference in a very good way in a lot of lives and for that he will be remembered because many are better for knowing him.
katie

Tyler, TX

#7 Aug 30, 2010
Are you kidding me, Mr.E? I knew him personally too. Sure...we all thought he was a nice guy and him giving out her money and buying things for people and donating her money all over the place in his own name made him appear even nicer. I'm sure if I took advantage of an old lady who trusted me enough to have power of attorney and then handed out money, gifts, and donations, then everyone would think I were wonderful too. Bernie wasn't "mentally abused" by her and never said he was. He admitted he killed her because she found out what he was doing with her money and was gonna cut him off. Yes, it did take months for anyone to finally find her, but only after numerous calls from her friends and her son calling to try and talk to her. Her son called many times and Bernie always had an excuse for him as to why she wasn't available...she was on a cruise, she was at church, she was playing bridge with friends, etc. And I don't know where you get your information, but her family didn't sue her for their inheritance. It automatically went to them under the terms of her will. You say you were better off for having known him...probably cause he bought you something or gave you a car. He owned the airport cause he bought it with her money! He won't be remembered for doing anything but taking advantage of an old woman and then killing her!
Mister E

Dallas, TX

#8 Sep 7, 2010
Katie, I knew Bernie well enough that I was supeona'd for the jury. Not as well as some of the guys in town because I'm straight, but well enough. If you ever had an actual conversation with him then you knew he didn't give because he wanted to buy friends, but because he generally cared and wanted to help those who couldn't help themselves. He had been blessed and wanted to bless others. Was it her money? Absolutely, but she gave it to him willingly. I have no IDEA what happened between he and Ms. Nugent to make him snap and hope I can never comprehend why. That said, he had been spending the money for years and didn't kill her because he was being cut off. Please get your facts straight. It was all going to him when she died up until the point that he killed her. As mentioned, her family had sued her years earlier for inheritance, I was told. Of course, Bernie didn't tell me that as he never said anything mean about anyone. What he did is inexcusable, but that doesn't change the good things he did and the lives he changed.

Do you have stuff in your closet that you hope others never discover? Does that negate the good you've done? For all have sinned... but in one way or another we've all impacted lives for the good as well. That's my point. He also impacted lives for good and I'm one of them.
Duke Steele

Longview, TX

#9 Sep 7, 2010
Mister E wrote:
he didn't give because he wanted to buy friends, but because he generally cared and wanted to help those who couldn't help themselves.

He had been blessed and wanted to bless others.
It's pretty easy to care and help people with someone else's money.
Mrs Nugent continued

Kilgore, TX

#10 Sep 10, 2010
Duke Steele wrote:
<quoted text>
It's pretty easy to care and help people with someone else's money.
I will always believe that Mrs. Nugent discovered the deception and was going to report Bernie to the authorities, this is why she was murdered in this way. Even though she did adore him and gave him any and everything she thought he might want, she was not a woman that would take kindly to being duped. I have no idea what his morbid thoughts were for placing her in a freezer.
I live with a form of guilt for being naive to what was happening. I do not understand what being "subpoenaed by the jury" means as Mister E mentioned, but I was subpoenaed by the prosecution and did testify. It gives me some consolation that I may have played a small part in Bernie's conviction. I feel sad that so many people were fooled by Bernie Tiede, again, myself included. The difference now is that I try at every opportunity to enlighten people as to what really went on and expose him for the sick individual he is. His lack of remorse was evident when, while incarcerated in the local detention center, he contacted those in control of the Nugent Estate Sale and laid claim to collectible items belonging to him that were obviously purchased with Mrs. Nugent’s funds. What was more shocking than this was that his claim was honored and the items were pulled from the sale!
It does upset me that he continues to get the attention and notoriety that he always sought. A movie being made to glamorize his evil is despicable and the fact that he still has a sympathetic following is unbelievable! This is not the type of entertainment that brings me pleasure. A “Dark Comedy”? There was no humor in the tragic death of a person that was dear to me and surely there is none now.
God Bless You and Rest in Peace Mrs. Nugent.
A Friend of Mrs Nugent

Kilgore, TX

#11 Sep 10, 2010
Duke Steele wrote:
<quoted text>
It's pretty easy to care and help people with someone else's money.
There is some truth and some fiction in what has been said.
After her husband's death, Mrs. Nugent was very lonely. Bernie did take advantage of this. Mr. and Mrs. Nugent were estranged from their son and his family when Mr. Nugent died. Her granddaughter did file suit to try and obtain what she deemed as her inheritance after her grandfather's death and was unsuccessful in this endeavor.
What happened was a very cunning man, Bernie, took advantage of her situation. Everyone could see that, but, he made her happy for a number of years. When he had complete control, he began to treat her differently. He would scold her and embarrass her, I witnessed that, and it was sad. Bernie was a talented person and just wanted to be "somebody". His generosity with her money was a way to be noticed and adored by many, myself included. It was no accident that the entire community knew of his good deeds, he made sure they did. I believe that he only wanted the money to gain the attention he craved. Although, he did make it clear that he enjoyed the finer things in life also.
I know that Bernie had convinced Mrs. Nugent that he was wealthy in his own right from "rice farms in south Louisiana" that he had inherited. It sounds odd, but this is what she told me herself and what she wanted to believe. I now realize a lot that I wish I had known when it was happening. Maybe I could have made a difference. Bernie obviously had an agenda and it was to manipulate an elderly woman that had few close friends, mainly due to her age. I can now look back and conclude that Bernie slowly and methodically had a plan to liquidate her estate by encouraging her to sell her real property, ie. land, cattle, etc. He wanted cash that he could funnel for his own use.
She was not a mean person, as many that did not even know her have reported. She had peculiarities as we all do. She was a wealthy, somewhat aloof, individual that many were jealous of. She had disagreements with some (as we all do) and was branded a mean person. She did nothing immoral or illegal to achieve her wealth. Even though her family, the Midyetts, were wealthy, she and her husband achieved the bulk of their money on their own. They were intelligent, hard working, individuals. She was donating to her church and community long before Bernie came into the picture. Her mother's home was given to the church and was used as a parsonage for years. There were untold amounts of money donated to the church, youth organizations, and many other charitable organizations. There isn't anything ever mentioned about this because they did not seek recognition for their generosity as Bernie did.
(continued)
g_williams42

United States

#12 Sep 15, 2010
M J Reed wrote:
Where is Bernie Tiede today? is he steal living?
Whatever happend to to Mrs nugent fortune?
did she have family?very sad story may God bless her!
Don't know what unit he's in today but in 2005 he was in Beeville down by Corpus Christi. I lived in Beeville at that time. Mrs. Nugent does have a son and granddaughter in Amarillo. Her son is a doctor. The fortune was tied up for quite a while. Her house was sold and there was an estate sale (I went to that too.) But I'm sure that what Bernie didn't spend went to her son.
kinfolk

Shreveport, LA

#13 Sep 16, 2010
Yes, as several said, she was estranged from much of her family. I heard that perhaps she still had a relationship to one of her granddaughters, whom I never met. Yes, her son (only child) is a doctor in West Texas. Also heard that Marjorie never liked the woman her son married and made that very clear so they were mostly estranged but she did have occasional contact with a granddaughter. The story circulating around our family was that Marjorie was suffering from depressiion and had checked into Scott & White Hospital (when she went missing). Since she didn't speak to any local relatives, no one knew any different.
kinfolk

Shreveport, LA

#14 Sep 16, 2010
And I am not kinfolk of Mr. Tiede nor Mrs. Nugent, just former resident with lots of kinfolk in the area...
Friend of Family

Arlington, TX

#15 Oct 7, 2010
It amazes me how little people really know about what happened here. The people of Carthage and Mrs. Nugent were taken advantage of by nothing more than a very talented con-man.
Bernie was a man who targeted a woman at the funeral of her husband. Bernie did everything he could in the six years that followed to isolate Mrs. Nugent from all of her family and friends.
Mrs. Nugent was a woman who spent her formative years growing up in the great depression. She was a traditional housewife, and Mr. Nugent took care of all the finances. Mrs. Nugent made all her own clothes for many years, never threw anything away, always had a garden, always canned food. She was very shy, and b/c of coming from the depression she was extremely cheap. At the time of her husband's death, Mrs. Nugent had a small, but loyal group of friends, including her son.
Mr. and Mrs. Nugent disapproved of their son's wife. This history strained the relationship between the parents and the son. The son had four children. Even though there was not a solid relationship between Parent and child, Mr. and Mrs. Nugent loved their grandkids, and the grandkids loved their grandparents. The grandkids would spend every summer at the farmhouse that the Nugent's owned outside of Carthage.
After the funeral, Bernie, became Mrs. Nugent's business manager. Mrs. Nugent had never dealt with any of the finances (esp. the oil well business) and she needed help. Her son was thankful that a man of Bernie's supposed character was there to help. As time went on however, many people close to Mrs. Nugent started reporting "funny" behavior of Bernie to her son. One by one, each family friend (including the son, and grandkids) had some type of fight with Mrs. Nugent, and Bernie was right in the middle of it.
In fact, the granddaughter got in fight over some of the discrepencies in the accounting for the grandfather's estate. Bernie was the one responsible for the accounting. The granddaughter ended up suing for the books and records of the trust the grandfather left. This is public record, look it up, the granddaughter never sued for the money.
This fight over books and records, however,is the incident where Mrs. Nugent said that her family and friends were only after her money. The granddaughter, though, thought that something was not right, and was trying to figure out what that was. It kills me that so many people believe Bernie's spin on this event. This is a classical con-man move.
Bernie told Mrs. Nugent that he was left a fortune. Mrs. Nugent believed him. B/c Mrs. Nugent never believed in spending money recklessly, I believe that all the money the two spent on trips, dinners etc, was Bernie pretending to have money for the sake of this con (I think he was funneling money from her account to his, and I think he was cooking the books). It would be very out of character for her to spend money in that way.
I believe that Bernie never inherited any money, I believe that he was stealing money from Mrs. Nugent this whole time, and I believe the morning she was murdered, she had finally figured it out on her own.
Her son and grandkids noticed that they had not spoken to Mrs. Nugent in awhile. They started calling around. Bernie kept lying to them, and denying them access. Bernie at one point told them that Mrs. Nugent had had a heart attack, and was in the Hospital, but she did not want to see her son or grandkids. The Son spent days calling every hospital in Texas and Louisanna looking for her. It took six months to get the legal stuff together (in case bernie tried to block access etc), and then her son and grandkids went to Carthage, filed all the legal paperwork, they got the sheriff to break into her place, and that's when they found the body.
This family has been thru enough. Stop attacking them. They lost Mrs. Nugent in a very horrific fashion, and they tried to save her. The Con-man was just too talented!
heelo

Laredo, TX

#16 Oct 22, 2010
i know tiede and i beleive that he is a murder who attempts to put up a false persona about him. tiede is attempting to gain fame at the expense of a life.
Katie

Tyler, TX

#17 Oct 22, 2010
Linklater (the director of this movie) Jack Black and a film crew recently visited Bernie in prison. He was allowed to give them a tour and parade through the cafeteria with all in tow making him a celebrity amongst his fellow inmates. How rediculous. At least he cannot profit from any of this monetarily.
Former Coworker

Lake Charles, LA

#18 Mar 30, 2011
I worked with Bernie at a funeral home in Lake Charles, LA. He was Mr. Community there, too, but he was always trying to develop what many of us thought were inappropriate relationships with surviving spouses at the funeral home. He fooled many people into thinking he was so caring, but those of us who worked with him knew that his main motivation was money. He neglected his duties at the funeral home, placing undo burden on those he worked with to pursue other money-making schemes. As someone who worked with him, I can tell you that he was a very dark, evil person who was able to con the community into believing he was not who he really was. I was not even a little bit surprised when I learned that he murdered this lady.
Former Coworker Continued

Lake Charles, LA

#19 Mar 30, 2011
On several occasions I confronted Bernie about his attempts to inappropriately develop relationships with surviving spouses. He would always just smile and tell me that if I wanted to remain poor, that was my business. What a creep!
Kayla

Friendswood, TX

#20 Apr 13, 2011
Whoa. My teacher was telling me about the movie they are making about "Bernie" and since she wouldn't tell us what he did, I looked it up here. What exactly did he do to her that was "bizarre"??? I am very confused on this and just want the truth about how he killed her.... Thanks!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carthage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sharon Daniels takes Jimerson's plea offer (Mar '07) May 21 DrKimberly Taylor 91
cruising spots for guys? (Mar '13) May 21 whynot76522 18
Any info on Horizon City out there??? (Mar '06) May 18 Fart time share 242
Oh No James Is Dealing Meth Again Apr '17 Dearlers In Terre... 2
Louie gohmert Mar '17 Little joe 1
News Overton Police Chief Fired Over City's Lack Of ... (Mar '07) Mar '17 tyler sux 14
Sophia Wallace Mar '17 Anonymous 1

Carthage Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Carthage Mortgages