Gordonsville Zinc mine

Posted in the Carthage Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Curious

Travelers Rest, SC

#1 Feb 14, 2013
I have filled out an application at uchra and I have a test in a few days. What does this test consist of and what is next in the hiring process. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Stressing

Travelers Rest, SC

#2 Feb 14, 2013
Damn people lol I really need this job. Help a brother out.
Big John

United States

#3 Feb 14, 2013
Can you hold your breath for days?
How's about holding up a falling ceiling weighing tons?
Better check your life insurance cause some won't pay without a body!
Stressing

Travelers Rest, SC

#4 Feb 14, 2013
Ok see that's what I can't stand. You don't have enough information to just assume the job I'm applying for. I asked for help not a smartass thanks anyway man
really

United States

#5 Feb 14, 2013
Good luck, my husband has tried to get a job and even went through interviews and still hasn't got hired ..from what it looks to me is if you do drugs or have done them thats the ones they hire..
Stressing

Morganton, NC

#6 Feb 15, 2013
Well then I should be in lol I'm just kidding it seems that I've had the same luck as ur husband. U try to be good and people still hire the shitty ones
Minors wife

Carthage, TN

#7 Feb 22, 2013
My husband works there, and he got his job because he knows a lot of people there.

OH an BTW, Really, I can understand your frustration, but really, you are aware that they drug test randomly there right???

Big John, your are an idiot, shut up!!!

Stressing, what job are you applying for hon? I am not sure what is on the test, but I know it takes a little while to get through. If you want, I can ask the hubby tomorrow when he is awake, and maybe he knows if/what positions they are hiring for.

Good luck hon!
Miner

Greenbrier, TN

#8 Feb 22, 2013
I can tell you the test is some math, reading comprehension, and another one similar to reading problem solving. It does take a while to get through it approx. 4 hours or so. Some of it is hard and it has absolutely nothing to do with mining. But you don't have to ace it, just pass it. I will tell you it does help to know someone there but that doesn't mean you have to. If you have a good work history and experience around heavy equipment, you stand a good chance. I know they have lost some people recently due to theft and attendance. It's not a bad place to work. People will bash it, but they are the lazy ones. Just do what is expected of you and show up. I wish you the best of luck.
operating engineer

United States

#9 Feb 23, 2013
I worked there and don't care about going back i used to run the road grader down there but got tired of working there swing shift all that does is mess up your over time they work you 60 hrs a week and you just get in 40 that swing shift was bull and then all the dumb assess that work There didn't won't the union in but they don't think about retiring i work union now and would have to be a last resort to work rat again i got great benefits and pension and plus make 80 to 100 grand a year running a dozer on putting in natural gas lines and can't imagine doing anything else
Minors wife

Carthage, TN

#10 Feb 23, 2013
Not all people have the experience to get a job like that, but it sounds great! Congrats.

My busted his tail and now he is above making really good money on straight days. I agree about the swing shift, it sucks. Glad he never had to do it.

The mines benefits are the best compared to other local jobs. My hubby LOVES his job, but it is his kind of thing. It is not for everyone. With the OT he works, he makes a little less than you do and he only drives 5 miles to work, so its super close.

As far as jobs here, its about the best place to work if you want to be local, and dont mind to bust your butt to move up. If you dont mind to travel, I am sure there are better jobs somewhere. I know before he started at the mine, he could not find anything worth driving for.

Either way, I hope the guy that started this got a job somewhere. I know first hand how going without one can drain the bank account and stress you out!
Your stupid

Fayetteville, NC

#11 Feb 23, 2013
Minors wife wrote:
Not all people have the experience to get a job like that, but it sounds great! Congrats.
My busted his tail and now he is above making really good money on straight days. I agree about the swing shift, it sucks. Glad he never had to do it.
The mines benefits are the best compared to other local jobs. My hubby LOVES his job, but it is his kind of thing. It is not for everyone. With the OT he works, he makes a little less than you do and he only drives 5 miles to work, so its super close.
As far as jobs here, its about the best place to work if you want to be local, and dont mind to bust your butt to move up. If you dont mind to travel, I am sure there are better jobs somewhere. I know before he started at the mine, he could not find anything worth driving for.
Either way, I hope the guy that started this got a job somewhere. I know first hand how going without one can drain the bank account and stress you out!
My husband has been there since it started back up and before when it had other owners
You're full of shit none of the employees make a lot over there I wish they did but nope it ain't happening at the mine.
My spouse has a masters degree in engineering and is very high up in the company and is in the top 2% in pay and he don't make 100k!
Minors wife

Carthage, TN

#12 Feb 24, 2013
Honey, he gave the amount of 80 to 100k. With OT that he works, he hits just under the 80k he quoted. You do realize that when you talk about how much you make, you use the gross, not net pay?
Honestly, I really see no reason for you to be so rude. Would you like to take a peak at a check stub? When your check before taxes for two weeks with OT is between $2400 and $3600 (depending on how many hours you worked)what does that add up to? If you average that, Its around 3k every two weeks. Multiply that by 26 which is the amount of checks you get a year on two week cycles and it comes to 78,000. I hope that cleared it up for you hon.
Haha

Fruitland Park, FL

#13 Feb 24, 2013
Minors wife wrote:
Honey, he gave the amount of 80 to 100k. With OT that he works, he hits just under the 80k he quoted. You do realize that when you talk about how much you make, you use the gross, not net pay?
Honestly, I really see no reason for you to be so rude. Would you like to take a peak at a check stub? When your check before taxes for two weeks with OT is between $2400 and $3600 (depending on how many hours you worked)what does that add up to? If you average that, Its around 3k every two weeks. Multiply that by 26 which is the amount of checks you get a year on two week cycles and it comes to 78,000. I hope that cleared it up for you hon.
Honey I work there also and your numbers are terribly inflated to say the least.
Miner

Carthage, TN

#14 Feb 24, 2013
Haha wrote:
<quoted text>Honey I work there also and your numbers are terribly inflated to say the least.
Numbers not inflated. Depends what department you are in and the work you are willing to put in. you can't half azz do your job and make good money. I can only think of two couples at the mine. And neither run the OT that I do. So try performing at your job as if you care and you may notice a change in your income. Just saying .
Haha

Travelers Rest, SC

#15 Feb 24, 2013
Whatever
You can't bullshit too much too many around work there
Haha

Candler, NC

#16 Feb 24, 2013
Why does It keep saying I commented on here and I didn't......PS I'm a different HaHa.
Minors wife

Carthage, TN

#17 Feb 28, 2013
Miner wrote:
<quoted text>
Numbers not inflated. Depends what department you are in and the work you are willing to put in. you can't half azz do your job and make good money. I can only think of two couples at the mine. And neither run the OT that I do. So try performing at your job as if you care and you may notice a change in your income. Just saying .
I wonder why it is so hard for people to understand this! To make money, you must go to work, and do a good job, and to advance, you should go above and beyond.....prove you deserve it.

BUT to be fair, this haha person may be on a lower pay grade. I think starting pay there is what, 14.50 so if you dont work OT, your yearly is around 30k give or take. Not sure the hours that swing shift works there or I could give a more accurate figure.

I personally, am a bit baffled as to how on earth this has offended anyone. At this point, I think they just like to argue and start trouble. Surely if they work there, they realize that there are a lot of different jobs, requiring different levels of skill and therefore, paying vastly different amounts. AND that OT increases the money you make. If you put in 60-80 plus hours a week, obviously you will make more than someone only working 40!
just me

Alexandria, TN

#18 Mar 1, 2013
Hey minors wife,,,are you married to Dallas Rose???because that is all he ever used to talk about is work,,,,
operating engineer

United States

#19 Mar 4, 2013
I'm sure the mine would be a Lot Better place 2 work if they would vote the united mine workers.union was in there i work through the operating engineers union local 917 i specialize in running a right of way dozer and love it a lot of people have no idea of the diff between union and rat but when u work union you have a steward who takes care of the workers and the company can't do what they want with u or fire u for anything but they main thing Is a pension when u get ready 2 retire but the company would tell u they would close down if the union came in but they have got 2 much 2 lose 2 do that unless there broke anyway like b4 but when i worked There it was a miracle more people wasnt hurt or killed all the new guys they hired was never properly trained it takes yrs to learn what 2 look 4 and how to spot a potential hazard i have been ruinning heavy equipment 4 over 25 yrs and have never worked at an unorganized place like the mine it may be Better now can't say I'm more than,happy with the operating engineers i make 38.70 an hr plus 75 a day for diving my truck 2 work plus they put 8 an hr on my pension and 50 cents an hr on my health and well fair
operating engineer

United States

#20 Mar 4, 2013
So i wish all you miners the best and hopefully oneday y'all will be able to get the u in but there are so many people around here have never worked union and have no clue how it work but the truth is the union works 4 you and won't let companies treat you any way they want 2 and i would just about Bet your pay would increase it used to make me mad i could operate anything and they would hire a new guy who didn't even no how to start a loader and he made the same money as me so if you guys would just stick 2 gether an in a a union u would have alot better job and most importantly a pension when u get ready 2 retire because social security alone isn't much think about that fellows

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carthage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The pony 24 min Manny 1
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 39 min President Kim Jon... 19,569
Where not to park downtown Memphis, TN. 4 hr GrizzliesRock 1
cost to use the dump going up 22 hr Dump King 2
is richard Stafford reaay dead Fri tammy 2
homosexuals at mc donalds Fri Dayrons Corner 16
stacy bogle (Feb '11) Fri somebody 9
Carthage Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Carthage People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Carthage News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Carthage

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:02 am PST

NBC Sports10:02AM
Julio Jones, Steven Jackson questionable for Sunday
NBC Sports10:26 AM
Panthers RB Williams probable vs. Falcons - NBC Sports
ESPN10:41 AM
Panthers RB Stewart gets nod vs. Falcons
NBC Sports11:09 AM
Falcons boosted by Julio Jones' return to practice - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 9:11 AM
Complete Preview for Falcons vs. Panthers