What is the purpose of DCS in Tennessee??

Posted in the Carthage Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Ridiculous

Scottsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jun 8, 2011
 
I had to call them this past weekend because my step-son came to us with second degree sunburn and also has some other nutritional issues and we were told that second degree sunburn was not "neglect"!!! Thought they were suppose to be in the best interest of the child?!?! Has anyone else had issues with DCS..not just Smith Co either..this was actually another County!
Curious

Hartsville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jun 10, 2011
 
I feel bad for your step-son who was sunburned. I agree it was a mistake but was it abuse? Id have to know more. Were any precautions taken at all to protect this child? Was sunscreen applied at all? Protective clothing? How old is he? I am very careful with my children but once in Florida my son got a very bad sunburn even though we took vigorous precautions. Accidents happen but so does neglect and abuse. What type of nutritional issues? I hope this isnt a case of a jealous stepmom. If you really suspect abuse you are required by law to report it. If you suspect keep reporting.
Ridiculous

Scottsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jun 16, 2011
 
Curious wrote:
I feel bad for your step-son who was sunburned. I agree it was a mistake but was it abuse? Id have to know more. Were any precautions taken at all to protect this child? Was sunscreen applied at all? Protective clothing? How old is he? I am very careful with my children but once in Florida my son got a very bad sunburn even though we took vigorous precautions. Accidents happen but so does neglect and abuse. What type of nutritional issues? I hope this isnt a case of a jealous stepmom. If you really suspect abuse you are required by law to report it. If you suspect keep reporting.
Well I am def not a jealous stepmom!! LOL Just dont have time for stupid people that put themselves before their kids!! And as far as it being a mistake well it happened again this past week!! His face is blistered again from being in the sun! I would consider that NEGLECT!!! And Intentional!! She INTENTIONALLY put him back out in the sun with a horrible sunburn already!!! As far as health issues the child is 8 and she just had a colonoscopy and upper GI done on him! I think I would have gotten a second opinion when my DR suggested that!! and guess what they found NOTHING!! Soo the child went through that for no reason!!! He is VERY tiny and was anemic! Its alot of issues and I feel that he needs an advocate and DCS is doing NOTHING to help!!! If you have any ideas please feel free to let me know!!! I am open to anything!!!:) I just want what is bets for him!!
Anonymous

Gainesboro, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jun 16, 2011
 
dont use them they take him and u may never get him its better to go court and get custody than use dcs
Ridiculous

Scottsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jun 16, 2011
 

Judged:

1

cindy driver wrote:
dont use them they take him and u may never get him its better to go court and get custody than use dcs
We have been to court NUMEROUS times to try to modify custody and we end up getting screwed somehow!?!?!? We have spent close to 10k trying to get him and it hasnt happened yet!! He needs a child advocate BAD!!! I am just at a loss on what to do so i went to DCS when he came to us with 2nd degree sunburn thinking they would get involved but that was a JOKE! I would hope they wouldnt TAKE HIM bc he has a father and I and 2 brothers that are VERY capable of caring for him!!! I just dont understand how DCS ask for people to report abuse and when you do they deny your report!! they could have at least investigated into it!! they did NOTHING though!!!
Agreed

Celina, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jun 16, 2011
 
DCS coming in could be traumatic for the child and might be overkill in this situation.It's sad for this child that there can't be responsible co-parenting in this situation. The sunburn is bad, but without all the information on the medical issues you might be jumping the gun. Perhaps the doctor was trying to locate the cause for the anemia and small stature?
Either way, topix isn't the answer. Have your spouse ask to speak to the doctor and get a copy of the medical records to get an accurate picture of the health issues. Call an attorney if you feel you must, but while you're dialing, maybe a counselor for the child - someone truly unbiased to talk to, would help. A few group sessions wouldn't hurt either.
If you truly feel, and can prove, the child is in danger, you could always ask the attorney to file for emergency custody.
Ridiculous

Scottsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jun 16, 2011
 
Agreed wrote:
DCS coming in could be traumatic for the child and might be overkill in this situation.It's sad for this child that there can't be responsible co-parenting in this situation. The sunburn is bad, but without all the information on the medical issues you might be jumping the gun. Perhaps the doctor was trying to locate the cause for the anemia and small stature?
Either way, topix isn't the answer. Have your spouse ask to speak to the doctor and get a copy of the medical records to get an accurate picture of the health issues. Call an attorney if you feel you must, but while you're dialing, maybe a counselor for the child - someone truly unbiased to talk to, would help. A few group sessions wouldn't hurt either.
If you truly feel, and can prove, the child is in danger, you could always ask the attorney to file for emergency custody.
I honestly wasnt looking for an answer to this problem on topix just kinda wanting to make it known that DCS isnt doing what they are there for!!! We have to get his med records tomorrow!! I am not wanting people to start bashing or anything!! I am looking for help..possibly someone that has dealt with something like this before! I am open for all the help we can get! And as far as an attorney I dont know of any GOOD ones!! This will not be a Smith Co case either!! We have had numerous attorneys and they have been of NOO help! I think we would do better going in on our own! Which that is all another story that doesnt need to b on Topix...I just want DCS to step up and do what they need to do before more children are hurt!
wah

Hartsville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jun 17, 2011
 
Have you or your husband talked to her calmly. Encourage her to use sunscreen...maybe even buy it. Have you offered to keep him while she is at the pool, lake etc? Is there another family member..grandparent, aunt, uncle, family friend, or even her boyfriend/spouse you could get to make some needed safety changes. I know its hard to watch when you dont agree with how an ex parents a child but sometimes being calm and encouraging can get more change and that is in the best interest of the child. Good Luck.
Ridiculous

Scottsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jun 17, 2011
 
wah wrote:
Have you or your husband talked to her calmly. Encourage her to use sunscreen...maybe even buy it. Have you offered to keep him while she is at the pool, lake etc? Is there another family member..grandparent, aunt, uncle, family friend, or even her boyfriend/spouse you could get to make some needed safety changes. I know its hard to watch when you dont agree with how an ex parents a child but sometimes being calm and encouraging can get more change and that is in the best interest of the child. Good Luck.
Tried all of the above for the past 8 years!!! We do good to get her to agree to visitation!! Even though its court ordered!!! And supposedly she put sunscreen on him EVERY hour while they were on the lake.,..She is the type it is her way or NO way!
heart broken

Sunbright, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jul 9, 2011
 

Judged:

1

We went to court for visitation and was given week in and week out. We had concerns of the welfare of the children, but the judge did not want to hear it. If there was a problem call DCS. The children came back three separate times bruised. Not just normal kids bruising, but abused. We took pictures. After trying to talk to the mother and grandmother, we called DCS. DCS took over 2 weeks to show up. When they did, they told us one thing and did something else. See the other side has family taht works for DCS and they got it 'taken care of". We have not stopped fighting for the safety of these babies. DCS has been a nightmare for us. So far the best advice we have found has been found on the AFRA facebook website. You are not alone in dealing with NEGLECT of DCS. We fight it everyday. The children say a prayer everytime before they leave. Our hearts are broken and the children are the ones suffering. I wish you luck and I hope and pray that your situation gets taken care of quickly. God bless you.
Bible Truth For You

Eitorf, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jul 10, 2011
 
It is time for a parental rights amendment to the US Constitution to ensure that parents have the right to guide and direct the upbringing of their children - not the government.

Sign the petition at
http://www.parentalrights.org
the truth

Goodlettsville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jul 11, 2011
 
i think probation,police,and dcs has gotten way out of hand.the folks who really need help b/c of abuse can't get it and if u ask for it you never get out of there system and they beat ur door down like a wolf.the people who r trying to raise there kids the best they can they are the ones picked on.lets face it kids don't come with instruction manuals and if they did its written by someone who has no kids or did worse to there own.only god knows whats the right way to bring up a child.you go to jail now days for making kids mind n yet they wonder why kids become so unruley.to make matters worse all someone has to do is call in n lie n ur theres.if either parent has a past were they got into trouble with the law its over.they take your kids b/c they new u 30min. n decided they no best.what a load of crap.there r cops,dcs,n probation everywere.jobs r full!!!!!!!

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jul 11, 2011
 

Judged:

1

Ask the courts to appoint a Guardian Enlighten, for your Grandson.
This is an independent representative for the child himself. Not either party, in the dispute.
They are duty bound to investigate everything ,and issue a statement to the courts in the best interest of the child. This statement weighs heavily in the courts.
As long as there is no medical/physical signs of abuse,or drugs in the home. All DCS is worried about is that there is food, clothes, shelter, and a bed off the floor for a child.

Been There

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jul 11, 2011
 

Judged:

1

I, too , am a step-mom that deals with a selfish mom who will not put her children first. We see new problems every week, but DCS and the courts will do nothing. I guess "Moms" can do no wrong. Just look at Casey Anthony. I wish you the best of luck Ridiculous. Maybe we should start a support group.
guest

Portland, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jul 11, 2011
 

Judged:

1

Ridiculous wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I am def not a jealous stepmom!! LOL Just dont have time for stupid people that put themselves before their kids!! And as far as it being a mistake well it happened again this past week!! His face is blistered again from being in the sun! I would consider that NEGLECT!!! And Intentional!! She INTENTIONALLY put him back out in the sun with a horrible sunburn already!!! As far as health issues the child is 8 and she just had a colonoscopy and upper GI done on him! I think I would have gotten a second opinion when my DR suggested that!! and guess what they found NOTHING!! Soo the child went through that for no reason!!! He is VERY tiny and was anemic! Its alot of issues and I feel that he needs an advocate and DCS is doing NOTHING to help!!! If you have any ideas please feel free to let me know!!! I am open to anything!!!:) I just want what is bets for him!!
I can understand what you are going through. We are dealing with dcs and they do NOT seem to be in the best interest of the baby. I have actually known of a case worker calling the parents to tell them every time she come. She even has to tell the parents to come to my home and get the baby so the baby will be there when she shows up. I feel this is ridiculous; if parents have to be led by the hand on what to do for their baby then there is a serious problem.
WHITE YANKEE DEE

Cottontown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Sep 1, 2011
 
Ridiculous wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I am def not a jealous stepmom!! LOL Just dont have time for stupid people that put themselves before their kids!! And as far as it being a mistake well it happened again this past week!! His face is blistered again from being in the sun! I would consider that NEGLECT!!! And Intentional!! She INTENTIONALLY put him back out in the sun with a horrible sunburn already!!! As far as health issues the child is 8 and she just had a colonoscopy and upper GI done on him! I think I would have gotten a second opinion when my DR suggested that!! and guess what they found NOTHING!! Soo the child went through that for no reason!!! He is VERY tiny and was anemic! Its alot of issues and I feel that he needs an advocate and DCS is doing NOTHING to help!!! If you have any ideas please feel free to let me know!!! I am open to anything!!!:) I just want what is bets for him!!
CallDisability Law And Advocates @16153421600.AlsoTn. Voices 4 Children @16152697751.I will give more #ers if these does not help you.Its a very long process ,but well worth getting a job WELL DONE the state is Not always right,never let them make you believe that.
agree

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Sep 1, 2011
 

Judged:

2

Is there any way that this issue could be an article in the newspaper? More people will be reading it, and it would put them on the spot. Just a suggestion...
bugs

Brodhead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Sep 15, 2011
 
Been There wrote:
I, too , am a step-mom that deals with a selfish mom who will not put her children first. We see new problems every week, but DCS and the courts will do nothing. I guess "Moms" can do no wrong. Just look at Casey Anthony. I wish you the best of luck Ridiculous. Maybe we should start a support group.
I'm was a 25 old mother who had drug charges or never been in trouble but took my child took him to er first. im with u
just saying

Hartsville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Sep 16, 2011
 
Ridiculous wrote:
I had to call them this past weekend because my step-son came to us with second degree sunburn and also has some other nutritional issues and we were told that second degree sunburn was not "neglect"!!! Thought they were suppose to be in the best interest of the child?!?! Has anyone else had issues with DCS..not just Smith Co either..this was actually another County!
since DCS and the police will NOT do anything about the mother neglecting your step-son,handle it yourself by "beating the hell out of the MOM".....I'm sure this is in Smith County and you would have to go to court in Carthage,Judge Bass slaps you with a fine and you walk out the door. the problem with the DCS/Human Service in Carthage is they have to many young kids working there,and they don't know what to do..
frustrated guest

Portland, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Sep 18, 2011
 
I am so disappointed in our local DCS. I have gone to regional and on up to state level with some concernes we have with a family. Believe it or not, but regional and state levels both referred the problems back to local. So what is the point in having upper authority when they only send you back to local. I couldnt believe when on each level, they did a three-way call back to local supervisor to 'discuss' the problem; and at that point we got told by local supervisor (with regional and state's blessings) that there was nothing more they could do since the case worker discussed the isues with the family and they family said they want anyone who questions them to have anything to do with their children! Well, duh, did they honestly think the family would admit to doing anything wrong? I was in shock at how they handled the case.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

19 Users are viewing the Carthage Forum right now

Search the Carthage Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 3 min BOiaF 123,757
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 2 hr REO 8,460
clean all offices out 5 hr winkinNblinkin 37
TN Pay-to-Spray Firefighters Watch as Home Burns (Oct '10) 6 hr mayorofavondale 58,316
any attractive single men 26-38? 7 hr david 10
TN Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 10 hr Wassssup 8,503
Amanda stenski Wed excuse me 3
•••
•••
•••
•••

Carthage Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Carthage People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••