school out friday
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Mark

Columbia, SC

#1 Nov 27, 2012
This is the craziest decision I've ever heard. The board messed this up. I'm glad everyone wants to support the tigers but moving Christmas break is plum insane. Kids already go late enough. Adding another day is punishing families and those who travel
yes

Maumee, OH

#2 Nov 27, 2012
well they could have just Gville schools out then you would bitch too????
Mark

Columbia, SC

#3 Nov 27, 2012
yes wrote:
well they could have just Gville schools out then you would bitch too????
No. Students at all schools could have went and others stayed there. One who wanted to go could and no one would have been punished. I said I'm glad they are supporting them but not everyone will go so what about people who were planning to travel? Not fair for there kids to miss mid term tests or have to make them up or have to change plans. Our kids have never went this late and it's a damn shame the are taking Christmas away. What about parents who are divorced and kids split time with them? Should have done anything besides take away Christmas.
SCHS Alum

Smithville, TN

#4 Nov 27, 2012
Excellent decision. Thanks to whoever made the call. Its a special time regardless of which school it is an some teachers from other schools wanted to go.
Tiger Supporter

United States

#5 Nov 27, 2012
I agree w/ the decision. This whole county needs to support them. I graduated from SCHS, but I am proud our county's team is going. Go Tigers!
Smith citizen

Hendersonville, TN

#6 Nov 27, 2012
I am very proud the decision was made to allow all of Smith Co to support the Tigers. Go Big Blue!
LAW

United States

#7 Nov 27, 2012
what are you talking about ? Is school out friday ?
bystander

Hollywood, AL

#8 Nov 27, 2012
it said if you already had plans to travel see your teacher or principal for accommodations. They can work it out. No need to be upset.
puzzled

Duncan, SC

#9 Nov 27, 2012
Very proud of the players but when did a game become more important than the childrens education and when will this day be made up and what about the parents with children in the elementary schools that have to work and have no child care to fall back on. I think personal preferences played a major role in these poor decisions and not whats best for the county, but everyone has an opinion.
agree

Charlotte, NC

#10 Nov 27, 2012
puzzled wrote:
Very proud of the players but when did a game become more important than the childrens education and when will this day be made up and what about the parents with children in the elementary schools that have to work and have no child care to fall back on. I think personal preferences played a major role in these poor decisions and not whats best for the county, but everyone has an opinion.
I agree with you Puzzled. The best for our kids wasn't a part of this decision. Taking a day away from Christmas when that has already been planned for months isn't good PR or really common sense. Sure, many will go to support GHS, but an added calendar day should not have been an option. This is not much notice for parents who have no one to watch their kids on Friday. School Board loses this intellect debate Calling my board member tonight to complain. Should have been an excused day for the ones who go (esp Gville) and the others could have stayed at school. If they had to add a day should have done it to end of year or a day already scheduled off like Presidents' Day. Or heck even use a built in snow day.
Angered

Charlotte, NC

#11 Nov 27, 2012
Yes I will be calming the central office and school board member. Had I even known they were discussing this, I would have expressed concerns earlier. But no. We are never told anything. Smith Co. Has to keep everything a big secret. When are they planning to tell this. My kid had no clue when I picked him up from school today. Looks like it will be some very short "official notice."
voter

Boiling Springs, SC

#12 Nov 27, 2012
Angered wrote:
Yes I will be calming the central office and school board member. Had I even known they were discussing this, I would have expressed concerns earlier. But no. We are never told anything. Smith Co. Has to keep everything a big secret. When are they planning to tell this. My kid had no clue when I picked him up from school today. Looks like it will be some very short "official notice."
Maybe ur kid didn't listen, cause the ones I talked to all knew. Just sayn....go CALM central office as u say.

Brush Creek, TN

#13 Nov 27, 2012
to those who have no day care what the hell do you do on snow days
Joe Testa -- puzzled

Duncan, SC

#14 Nov 27, 2012
No need for screen names.Maybe there kid did listen but was too distracted by the thought of there parent having to miss work for such an insane decision. Not sure what everyone elses situation is but times are very hard and just the normal task of keeping the lights on and food on the table is getting harder but making a rash decisions to close school and not caring how the parent will pay for the extra childcare, i hope it was worth it to the board but its not to me.

Goodlettsville, TN

#15 Nov 27, 2012
I am all for supporting our county sports: BUT it puzzles me WHY ARE KIDS NOT OUT OF SCHOOL FOR SUPPORT OF OUR VETERANS! IF NOT FOR OUR VETS NO ONE WOULD BE PLAYING FOOTBALL. WHICH SEEMS TO BE THE ONLY SPORT THIS COUNTY SUPPORTS.
really

White House, TN

#16 Nov 27, 2012
I think it silly to close school when it's out in plenty of time to make the game anyway.
Tiger Supporter

United States

#17 Nov 27, 2012
I would agree if this sorta thing happened every year, but the truth is that it doesn't. A lot of teachers and students would have missed school to go to the game. They can't declare a snow day because the state wouldn't let them. Although I usually always put education first, it is just as important to these young men that their county supports them. I couldn't be prouder of the Tigers, and I think this accomplishment should be celebrated. Owl or Tiger, you must see how amazing this is. I understand about babysitting, but if it was your son in the state champion game, wouldn't you take off from work? I would.
Tiger Supporter

United States

#18 Nov 27, 2012
really wrote:
I think it silly to close school when it's out in plenty of time to make the game anyway.
Game is at 11:00
blueblood

Bradenton, FL

#19 Nov 27, 2012
They could not keep the schools open because there were not going to be enough subs to take care of the children. One school was only going to have about 4 faculty and staff left behind to supervise over 100 children. Many of the teachers have ties and connections to the team and it's members. The state would not allow the use of a snow day.
JPM

United States

#20 Nov 27, 2012
You people would bitch if they gave everyone in the county $20. You would cry because its not enough. Get over yourself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carthage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Amber key the cheapest hooker ever 57 min Lmfao 17
Jennifer Cox 1 hr S-M-H 1
Amanda Smith 2 hr S-M-H 10
AMber SL*t Key 15 hr Jess 16
Beth Massey 19 hr Tracy 6
Pill heads 20 hr S-M-H 9
Bethany Sutton (Jun '13) Thu curious 15
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Carthage Mortgages