Smith County Sheriff's Dept.
truth

Springfield, TN

#22 Oct 7, 2012
here is the deal, people have got away with so much wrong in the past in office that they think cause they are in power they can get away with it, times have changed people want fairness and things done right always remember the power of the people is the strongest the constitution was made to protect us from the government people use it for you advantage
onto

United States

#23 Oct 7, 2012
Power and protection only go so far before things get looked into! No time is better than now for things to change. people in power usually become corrupt because they are looking for personal gain, such as promotions, more power, money, inadequate training, and so on.... The greed gets so deep for personal gain they forget what the true reason is that they choose their career to begin with.
hmm

Springfield, TN

#24 Oct 8, 2012
From FBI website at http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cid/civilrights/color.h...
It is a crime for one or more persons acting under color of law willfully to deprive or conspire to deprive another person of any right protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States.
"Color of law" simply means that the person doing the act is using power given to him or her by a governmental agency (local, state or federal).
Criminal acts under color of law include acts not only done by local, state, or federal officials within the bounds or limits of their lawful authority, but also acts done beyond the bounds of their lawful authority. Off-duty conduct may also be covered under color of law, if the perpetrator asserted their official status in some manner.
Color of law may include public officials who are not law enforcement officers, for example, judges and prosecutors, as well as, in some circumstances, non governmental employees who are asserting state authority, such as private security guards.
While the federal authority to investigate color of law type violations extends to any official acting under "color of law", the vast majority of the allegations are against the law enforcement community.
Investigative Areas
Most of the FBI's color of law investigations would fall into five broad areas:
excessive force;
sexual assaults;
false arrest/fabrication of evidence;
deprivation of property; and
failure to keep from harm.
Most of the FBI's color of law investigations would fall into five broad areas:
excessive force;
sexual assaults;
false arrest/fabrication of evidence;
deprivation of property; and
failure to keep from harm.
hmm

Springfield, TN

#25 Oct 8, 2012
In making arrests, maintaining order, and defending life, law enforcement officers are allowed to utilize whatever force is "reasonably" necessary. The breath and scope of the use of force is vast. The spectrum begins with the physical presence of the official through the utilization of deadly force. While some types of force used by law enforcement may be violent by their very nature, they may be considered "reasonable," based upon the circumstances. However, violations of federal law occur where it can be shown that the force used was willfully "unreasonable" or "excessive" against individuals.
Sexual assaults by officials acting under "color of law" could happen in a variety of venues. They could occur in court scenarios, jails, and/or traffic stops to name just a few of the settings where an official might use their position of authority to coerce another individual into sexual compliance. The compliance is generally gained because of a threat of an official action against the other if they do not comply.
The Fourth Amendment of the United States Constitution guarantees the right against unreasonable searches or seizures. A law enforcement official using his authority provided under the "color of law" is allowed to stop individuals and even if necessary to search them and retain their property under certain circumstances. It is in the abuse of that discretionary power that a violation of a person's civil rights might occur. An unlawful detention or an illegal confiscation of property would be examples of such an abuse of power.
An official would violate the color of law statute by fabricating evidence against or conducting a false arrest of an individual. That person's rights of due process and unreasonable seizure have been violated. In the case of deprivation of property, the official would violate the color of law statute by unlawfully obtaining or maintaining the property of another. In that case, the official has overstepped or misapplied his authority.
The Fourteenth Amendment secures the right to due process and the Eighth Amendment also prohibits the use of cruel and unusual punishment. In an arrest or detention context, these rights would prohibit the use of force amounting to punishment (summary judgment). The idea being that a person accused of a crime is to be allowed the opportunity to have a trial and not be subjected to punishment without having been afforded the opportunity of the legal process.
The public entrusts its law enforcement officials with protecting the community. If it is shown that an official willfully failed to keep an individual from harm that official could be in violation of the color of law statute.
hmm

United States

#26 Oct 10, 2012
Wheels are turning slowly but surely! The wheels of justice go round and round round and round.... Lol. Coming soon.....
hmm

United States

#27 Oct 10, 2012
dunno but i do know wrote:
I moved some years back from another state and got mistaken identified by a former roommate who gave my name instead of his somehow someway and the bonds people came and our deputies and one city cop came during the middle of it. I was sound asleep and was awoke by four of em and my wife saying wake up something is wrong! These punks behind a badge yelled hey get up now come with us! Two on each arm me in boxers sober as a judge not a weapon or threat anywhere in sight! I was like easy what is going on? Why are yall here what is this about? Then the other cop says I guess you don't listen well he told you let's go! Click go handcuffs so tight I had a bruise for a week and never a hint of resistance or threat yet. Wife crying kids screaming also crying four cop cars all with lights on and sirens on last two. Hit my head on the roof/door as I got thrown in the car almost frozen cause they wouldn't let me dress told me booking will give you all you need. Guess what? Other than two speeding tickets and a parking ticket? I never had any issues. The charge? Instantly dismissed the next day when they realized they are retarded and didn't bother asking even one question before treating me like a cop killer/rapist. For someone that has never been involved with any of it and has no idea what the hell is happening? You are lost! Ever cross you hall monitor punks mind that not everyone is guilty and damn sure not a threat! But thanks for trying to be Rambo wannabe and scare my family. Yall made out like I was john gotti when truth was I'm probably if not certain a better person than you! Yall need your asses whipped now go to keystop and tell more snitch lies barney!
you should report this to the proper authorities. There is a old saying as an officer you can do 100 good things but make one mistake and your career is over!
hmm

United States

#28 Oct 10, 2012
No room for mistakes!
shamwow

Springfield, TN

#29 Oct 13, 2012
brooks can help you
Tony howard

Waynesville, MO

#30 Sep 23, 2014
stroker ace wrote:
Everyone know poindexter supported hopper his money was not disclosed just wait till the next election. Ever wonder why only the good things the sheriff dept does get put in the paper but the bad does not what about the lawsuit they just settled with tina howard for violating herr civil rights or they always put peoples name in the paper who get charged but never folow up with the case when it is dimissed so people assume they are guilty man think before you speak I know what iam talking about and can prove everything I say
Just wanted to leave a comment about Tinas lawsuit! First of all its not been settled! It seems as though she has run into a problem which is going to be addressed soon! Her Lawyer {x now} Richard Brooks quit the case after approximately 4 years working with her quit 1 month before trial. The video in his possession which he refuses to give her appears to me to have been tampered with. The deposition entered into evidence has also been tampered with. Most all the incriminating evidence against the x officer has been removed from the deposition. The judge Clara Byrd says we can not bring up the fact that x Deputy Chris Huddleston was caught trying to pay someone to murder her! We now have a copy of an audio tape where the Deputy was going to burn her in her home by piling newspapers,2 by 4's and sheetrock in front of an electric heater. Huddleston also admits he is a pot smoker in the tape! Tina also has witness's willing to testify in her behalf. Tommy Thompson knew of the plot to kill but never arrested Chris instead he cut him a deal. Now Chris has been stalking Tina. These people who run this County are monsters. It is my belief and only my belief and not backed with factual evidence that Richard Brooks received a payoff to make sure Tina lost in court.I will never trust him again! We are currently seeking help from The US Dept of Justice in this matter! Also the Tn bar Assn. Many copys of the tape have been made to eliminate the tapes being lost due to fire. Anyone who places there trust in this county is a fool!
Smith co citizen

Oak Ridge, NC

#31 Sep 23, 2014
Holy shit tony everyone knows Betina's history. Pill head pot smoking coke using black whatabee.......with a chip on her shoulder that someone owes her something. Get over yourself and quit trying to sue people for shit when you make a mistake
welsy

United States

#32 Oct 9, 2014
Dude intill carthage changes the police force and all there cops ill move back till then screw smith county they are nothing but screw overs they try so hard to make the hard trying people suffer its all about who u come from in smith county screw that place moving from smith county best thing I done
wondering

Gordonsville, TN

#33 Oct 9, 2014
welsy wrote:
Dude intill carthage changes the police force and all there cops ill move back till then screw smith county they are nothing but screw overs they try so hard to make the hard trying people suffer its all about who u come from in smith county screw that place moving from smith county best thing I done
I didn't know you had moved, as a matter of fact I didn't know you ever lived in Smith county. I don't think anyone misses you.

Since: Oct 14

Charlotte, NC

#34 Oct 12, 2014
really wrote:
Did u guys know that 1 of the lady van drivers from uchra got busted with drugs. She was using vans to do her deliveries...hum..
Wow just wow--some people's children!!!!
Tony Howard

Trenton, GA

#35 Nov 22, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't know you had moved, as a matter of fact I didn't know you ever lived in Smith county. I don't think anyone misses you.
A lot of our public officals are a bad joke. As far as good citizens moving away due to county wide corruption.... I understand and don't blame them. Your comment is out of line . If everyone but you moves away will you post comments to yourself about how stupid you were to stay?
knows someone too

Jamestown, TN

#36 Nov 22, 2014
if they leave the damn dope smokers alone and concentrate their efforts on the damn pill heads in this county titwill be a whole lot nicer place to live is all I ma going to say...these damn pill heads have destroyed my family and will destroy yours soon enough if something isn't done soon enough,,,,mark my words....!!!!!
USSR

Portland, TN

#37 Nov 23, 2014
welsy wrote:
Where did you move to Welsy?
WELSY

Goodlettsville, TN

#38 Nov 24, 2014
USSR wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did you move to Welsy?
South Carthage
blt66

Asheville, NC

#39 Dec 19, 2014
JPM wrote:
What does it matter who, what, when and how? Its off our streets. The Sheriff's Office could make the biggest bust in the country and some of you would still complain. Nothing but abunch of crybabies on this site. My son broke the law and went to jail. I'm calling a lawyer because while he was in the jail. He was made to obey the rules and if he didn't they did this or that. DON'T BREAK THE D A M N LAW YOU TRASHY A S S PEOPLE! Quit blaming everyone else and take the consequences of your actions and believe in your officers rather than your lying a s s children. We have good law abiding officers in our county and either they busted you for breaking the law or busted your kid for breaking the law and you want to blame someone else because your precious child does no wrong. I am not an officer nor want to be. I am someone who supports our officials and think they are way underpaid for the lowlifes they have to put up with. Mayor Nesbitt needs to give these guys a raise!
I don't live in your town but I have been thru it about a year ago and my family and I drove 3 hours to come buy a puppy there and while on our way we were stoped at a red light wating for it to turn when wham a car behind us slammed into the back of our car it pushed us almost thru the red light one of us had to go to hospital over it andhold on I'm getting to the point it was a little old lady that was bent over from I guess a medical issue she said she just barely bumped us and needless to say one of your so called great deputies that undoubtfully new her was only taking down her side of the story even though there was 4 of us to her 1 and its over a year later and she still hasnt had anything done to her or paid for the damages so today my family had to drive there today for her lawyer to question us and in the mean time you tell me when is it all right to question an 83 year old man to the point that he passed out and ambulance took him to hospital nowI rem in remind u that we were the victims yet because she new the cop we are being treated like the criminal and by the way the lawyer and little old lady were to busy laughing at my father for collapsing now how does that say your deputies are law bidding when they side with the person that did the wrong.
get used to it

Jamestown, TN

#40 Dec 19, 2014
blt66 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't live in your town but I have been thru it about a year ago and my family and I drove 3 hours to come buy a puppy there and while on our way we were stoped at a red light wating for it to turn when wham a car behind us slammed into the back of our car it pushed us almost thru the red light one of us had to go to hospital over it andhold on I'm getting to the point it was a little old lady that was bent over from I guess a medical issue she said she just barely bumped us and needless to say one of your so called great deputies that undoubtfully new her was only taking down her side of the story even though there was 4 of us to her 1 and its over a year later and she still hasnt had anything done to her or paid for the damages so today my family had to drive there today for her lawyer to question us and in the mean time you tell me when is it all right to question an 83 year old man to the point that he passed out and ambulance took him to hospital nowI rem in remind u that we were the victims yet because she new the cop we are being treated like the criminal and by the way the lawyer and little old lady were to busy laughing at my father for collapsing now how does that say your deputies are law bidding when they side with the person that did the wrong.
...welcome to Smith County, Tennessee....
pou

White House, TN

#41 Dec 22, 2014
Jake wrote:
Actually the deep pockets are the county. As long as Hopper and Nesbitt continue to hire the people they do and allow them to do the things they do, it will continue
U r so true this town will never change its gonna be druggies and no business for any one to get a job they got snitches that causes problems that don't have to be

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carthage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
schs football 6 hr yeeyee 1
Charlies Barber Shop (Apr '11) 12 hr Dlc 77
Reta Kennedy 12 hr Hampton 1
Brandy heady 15 hr Big and tasty 2
lazy teachers 16 hr datthugdayron 1
rebel aka RACEIST flag 17 hr datthugdayron 3
odd jobs (Jan '14) 20 hr gingy 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Carthage Mortgages