How dangerous are the zinc mines

Posted in the Carthage Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
curious zinc mines

Livingston, TN

#1 Jul 3, 2011
My boyfriend starts there next week and I am worried. Is it really dangerous. Will he get lost? I have imagined all sorts of things. I couldn't sleep last night.I would like to hear from some people who work there please.
super miner

Columbia, SC

#2 Jul 3, 2011
No dangerous than i-40.
curious zinc mines

Livingston, TN

#3 Jul 3, 2011
super miner wrote:
No dangerous than i-40.
Do you work there? How do they get down to the mines.
hey

Blacksburg, SC

#4 Jul 3, 2011
super miner wrote:
No dangerous than i-40.
are y'all hiring if so how do u get hired on?
miners wife

United States

#5 Jul 4, 2011
My husband and some of this friends work there and love it. It is safer than you would think, and no he wont get lost. They have it all mapped out, and ur usually always around your work crew. They ride the hoist down, which is like a huge elevator. My husband is the hoistman and runs the hoist, and he also runs equipment underground. don't worry so much, he will b fine and safe. He will probably love this job.
miners wife

United States

#6 Jul 4, 2011
Check in with HR in the gordonsville office or at the career center in south Carthage. Im not sure if they are or.not, but we have heard they are only wanting ppl with some type of experience. Good luck.
still laughing

Tallmadge, OH

#7 Jul 4, 2011
I ain't gonna be a ground hog no matter what's the pay- dead men make nothing
curious zinc mines

Livingston, TN

#8 Jul 4, 2011
thanks miners wife .. I feel better. He starts the 11th
old guy in town

Spencer, NC

#9 Jul 5, 2011
super miner wrote:
No dangerous than i-40.
Where on I-40 can a person fall thousands of feet down a elevator shaft or drown from water rushing into tunnels? Not to mention being blown up from a explosion or crushed in a rockslide or suffocated from poisonous gases or ran over by a coworker on mining equipment in close confines of a tunnel. I've worked there and its dangerous as hell !!!!
old guy in town

Spencer, NC

#10 Jul 5, 2011
And if something real bad happens you may not even get a body back to bury.
well

Columbia, TN

#11 Jun 17, 2012
Nah, just stand under your hardhat and you'll be just fine.
well

Columbia, TN

#12 Jun 17, 2012
Nah, just stand under your hardhat and you'll be fine.
tufenuf

Shelbyville, TN

#13 Jun 18, 2012
super miner wrote:
No dangerous than i-40.
I agree toatally,but just think if you spent 8 hours a day,5 days a week on I-40,how much the odds of you having an accident would increase!!! Hell I-40 is dangerous as hell if you only drive it for an hour a day!
OLD MINER

White House, TN

#14 Jun 18, 2012
Watch out for the rock snakes and gob sows.
Roof bolter

United States

#15 Jun 19, 2012
OLD MINER wrote:
Watch out for the rock snakes and gob sows.
lol for sure I'm not sayin names but could tell ya one person to ask that lol picked up a rag and thought it was something that It really wasnt lmao
Not a ground hog

United States

#16 Jun 20, 2012
You all do realize its under the Cumberland river and we live in a earthquake fault area.
How long would it take river to overcome mine in a major shift?
How long would it take miners to reach a hoisting shaft to escape?
Plenty of other stuff to do without worrying about that!
Good Luck Miners y'all can have my part!!!!
not true

Columbia, TN

#17 Jun 20, 2012
The shock waves that would have the most potential to cause damage to mines actually do very little because they are unable to travel through a gaseous medium -- that is, the air in the cave. The force arrives at the cave wall, displaces the air, and is absorbed with relatively little effect. However that is only deep within the cave. Entrances have the most potential to be damaged. As far as the Cumberland River crashing in. lol. That is just silly and obviously a lie being spread by people that simply have known knowledge of the mine.
Not a ground hog

United States

#18 Jun 20, 2012
Well water does run downhill
A earthquake caused the Mississippi river to run backwards for 3 days when a quake made the reel foot lake depression
If a major quake happened and river made its way to the shaft you couldn't escape
miner

United States

#19 Jun 20, 2012
Not a ground hog wrote:
You all do realize its under the Cumberland river and we live in a earthquake fault area.
How long would it take river to overcome mine in a major shift?
How long would it take miners to reach a hoisting shaft to escape?
Plenty of other stuff to do without worrying about that!
Good Luck Miners y'all can have my part!!!!
only a sretch of about 100 feet or so is under the river.. the river in that area is only about 200 ft and the mine is from 1500 to 2000 ft so an earthquake would have to make a hell of a crack to reach the mine..further more if you knew the facts the mine is to far below the plates to even be affected by an earthquake..your silly
Not a groundhog

United States

#20 Jun 20, 2012
miner wrote:
<quoted text>only a sretch of about 100 feet or so is under the river.. the river in that area is only about 200 ft and the mine is from 1500 to 2000 ft so an earthquake would have to make a hell of a crack to reach the mine..further more if you knew the facts the mine is to far below the plates to even be affected by an earthquake..your silly
earthquakes have caused whole continents to shift so you're saying that mine is deeper than north America itself?
I'm not knocking your chosen profession but to blatantly ignore the dangers is just stupid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carthage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Welfare junkie 2 hr Star 1
2 women overdose? 8 hr recovering addict 8
Shiroki in Gordonsville 9 hr Lost for words on... 7
Divorce lawyer 11 hr GoodLuck 4
Line leaders and management 2nd shift shiroki i... 11 hr Curious 3
jay holland Fri Tootie 15
Colby Lane Thu Penny4thought 9

Carthage Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance