Carthage Central lay-offs

Carthage Central lay-offs

Posted in the Carthage Forum

Herman

Jamestown, NY

#1 Apr 3, 2010
How come Carthage Central is planning to lay off all those teachers and not one single administrator? Why isn't the human resources position being considered for elimination? Seems to me there is a lot of fat in those areas without directly affecting kids by laying off teachers.
Comet

Syracuse, NY

#2 Apr 7, 2010
I'd rather they cut sports programs than teachers.
Soulja

Syracuse, NY

#3 Apr 7, 2010
Why don't the teachers take a pay freeze or cut to save some of their own? If they've been there for any more than 10 years, they're entirely overpaid as it is.

Lets start with Ms. Sheehan who is pulling in over $74,000, according to SeeThroughNY.net . Lets be honest. You can get a new teacher for under $40k, it doesn't seem right that based upon seniority alone, an existing teacher is worth 2 new teachers.

Hold administrators to the same standards... what could they be replaced for?
Jorge

Massena, NY

#4 Apr 7, 2010
Some of the teachers that are being laid off are reading teachers. What is more basic to education than reading? That is a skill that enhances everything else in education. Not one teacher being laid off is a physical education person. Carthage Central has a large physical plant with some fine amenities like artificial turf etc. It is sad to see them acting this way toward their best resources which are its faculty. They have opted to use 2 million dollars from their fund balance in the current proposed budget. That will leave a balance of $500,000 in the fund. The state's financial problems are not going away soon. Money is not plentiful. What will CCS do next year?...lay off more teachers? Someone had better get their head out of the sand. There needs to be some serious effort at cost containment. It needs to start at the top with the administrators. That's where much of the schools money is being spent. From there, they need to cut people and programs that LEAST impact the real reason for a school....the kids!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carthage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
copenhagen fd and village taxes 4 hr village tax payer 1
Bruce C. Thu Curious 1
Looking for information on a soldier, for lost ... Aug 31 Lost and found 4
Review: KC Nails & SPA (Dec '12) Aug 19 Becky 4
News Carthage woman accused of breaking into Denmark... Aug 18 karmagetsyou 1
Tires for the race team Aug 16 Anonymous 11
CVFD Comptroller Audit Aug 16 old timer 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Carthage Mortgages