Carthage teen jailed on manslaughter ...

Carthage teen jailed on manslaughter charge from Denmark hunting accident

There are 25 comments on the Watertown Daily Times story from Oct 25, 2011, titled Carthage teen jailed on manslaughter charge from Denmark hunting accident. In it, Watertown Daily Times reports that:

A Carthage teen has been jailed on a manslaughter charge following a fatal hunting accident Sunday evening on land off Station Road in the town of Denmark.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Watertown Daily Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Wow

United States

#1 Oct 25, 2011
I hope the judge, DA or grand jury take another look at this. The indersheriff has no clue what he is talking about. It was an unfortunate accident. Alcohal was not involved the victim was not wearing blaze orange and this poor kid does not derserve to be charged with this. laduc needs to brush up on NY penal law.
Gram Gram

Watertown, NY

#2 Oct 25, 2011
Wow wrote:
I hope the judge, DA or grand jury take another look at this. The indersheriff has no clue what he is talking about. It was an unfortunate accident. Alcohal was not involved the victim was not wearing blaze orange and this poor kid does not derserve to be charged with this. laduc needs to brush up on NY penal law.
We don't agree on this one. What is the 1st rule of hunting?? "I thought it was a deer" doesn't cut it. Unless you know for certain, no doubts, you don't shoot. Period.
Wow

United States

#3 Oct 25, 2011
But they were driving deer out to the people who were sitting at the other end waiting. I know I wasnt there, I dont hunt, but this seems to me the same as running a stop light and causing a car accident. The degree of intent makes this criminal negligance. Hate to see a kid of 19 do hard time for an accident, and i am sure the family of the victim would agree, not trying to speak for them, but they were all friends out doing something they enjoyed together. Condolances to them.
sad

United States

#4 Oct 25, 2011
% feel for them as well. I think it was an accident and now this 19 year old will have to live with this forever. My thoughts are with everyone involved
no reason

United States

#5 Oct 25, 2011
gram gram could not agree more this was a accident that could have been avoided with a little common sense. I dont understand how people could say he does not deserve hard time if the same MAN leaves a bar and kills someone in the road he the locals would want him lynched. Alcohol did not play a factor? last time i checked it does impair your judgment. As far as blaze orange goes it is not a requirement in nys, So if your in the woods and see something not wearing orange shoot its ok . Last but not least 6:30 awful dark to be driving deer most legal hunters are on their way out of the woods. As soon as u point the barrel of a gun you as the hunter are now responsible for every action that follows the trigger pull. This is a unfortunate tragedy that took a grand daughters poppa due to lack of common sense. i stand by my opinion and am open to debate the FACTS with anyone who feels that this was just a accident.
Justwondering

United States

#6 Oct 25, 2011
When you take a firearm into your hands the responsibility you take is enormous. The young man charged should not have shot at a noise, quite plain and simple if he had identified what he was shooting at before he shot then this traqedy would not have happened.
Just Thinking-

United States

#7 Oct 25, 2011
We don't agree on this one. What is the 1st rule of hunting?? "I thought it was a deer" doesn't cut it. Unless you know for certain, no doubts, you don't shoot. Period.

Plus it was after dark. He may not have intentionally meant to kill anyone but he was careless and took a life. Just because something moves in the woods, you don't shoot unless you are 100 % sure it is a deer!! I do feel bad for him as he is so young, but.....nevertheless he was careless and it is going to cost him...time
aHuntersWife

Saranac Lake, NY

#8 Oct 25, 2011
I don't know any of the people involved, but this is a terrible tragedy which seems to happen each year. The responsible hunter waits until he's certain of his target - NEVER shoot at a sound or movement, and NEVER if he just "thinks" it could be a deer.
This family man is gone forever, and the young man has to live with what happened no matter what the courts decide. Don't let this event be in vain. ALL hunters should hunt safely and responsibily. And PLEASE wear the blaze orange. It's the law in some states (wish it was here too) and it saves lives. My husband always wears the blaze orange. Why take the chance? Your lives are too important to risk it.
Disgusted

United States

#9 Oct 25, 2011
I have my opinion on this. But I think it's best I leave it to myself. My thoughts and prayers are with both families. So sad that what was suppose to be a good time among friends has such a tragic ending.
sad for everyone

United States

#10 Oct 25, 2011
I cannot imagine how hard this is on everyone involved. My husband was hunting with family one year and he was taught by my dad. When it's getting close to dusk, everyone leaves the woods and heads back. No shooting on your way out unless you absolutely see the horns. My husband was laying on the ground when he heard a blast. It went through a tree about a foot from where he was. But the one who shot says it wasn't him. Well, there were three people there and no way my husband shot through the tree and the other party was farther down the trail. Needless to say, my husband will not and has not hunted with the guy since this happened six years ago. If you don't know the rules of hunting or any sport, don't do it. This is such a tragedy for all. After seeing how close my husband came to being shot because the other guy heard something moving in that direction scares the day light out of me. I worry when ever my family is out hunting since then. Please keep all these families in your prayers. they sure all need it right now.
ron

Lake Placid, NY

#11 Oct 26, 2011
but people can shoot you for walking across there lawn holy shit lowville is one messed up community and they get away with that? whats wrong with this picture..
Wow

United States

#12 Oct 26, 2011
"no resson" in gloversville, the police report said no alcohal was involved, please learn to read before you post. I still think this is comparable to something like texting while driving and causing an accident. Yes he should be held responsible, BUT it does not rise to the definition of manslaughter because it was an accident and he did not INTEND to kill.
ODB

Syracuse, NY

#13 Oct 26, 2011
While I believe that the shooter will suffer his own personal punishment and guilt for the rest of his life, that doesn't mean he should go without legal punishment. Shooting after sunset and not identifying your target is no different than driving at night with your headlights off.

While it was a mistake, it was completely avoidable with due caution, and thus why it's being treated as negligent manslaughter.
no reason

United States

#14 Oct 26, 2011
"WOW" your a idiot if your a hunter please stop now for the safety of others. You probably dont hold the drunk drivers responsible either , the victim shouldnt have been on the road at 2 am on a sat. night stupid sober guy but that poor driver who blew a .27 now has to live with it so thats bad enough. And if he did INTEND on killing the man it would be a murder charge.
hank parker 3d

Frankfort, NY

#15 Oct 26, 2011
Let's see... He was probably high, probably drinking. Wow that buck looks like Jimmy Hendrix maannn!! Let me shotgun this genny light and rip off a 180 grain core loct. Retard.
Wow

United States

#16 Oct 27, 2011
Do you even know how to read???? F****moron!
no reason wrote:
"WOW" your a idiot if your a hunter please stop now for the safety of others. You probably dont hold the drunk drivers responsible either , the victim shouldnt have been on the road at 2 am on a sat. night stupid sober guy but that poor driver who blew a .27 now has to live with it so thats bad enough. And if he did INTEND on killing the man it would be a murder charge.
no reason

United States

#17 Oct 27, 2011
hank parker 3d thats what im talking about " WOW" why dont u tell me what defines manslaughter its apparent you watch csi miami or something like that and have the nys penal law book rite handy.
Herman Munster

Syracuse, NY

#18 Oct 27, 2011
What a tragic incident. It was regular deer hunting season. They were attempting to drive deer. The regular season in the northern zone is for bucks only. How can you shoot someone in an open field when you are looking for horns on a deer? Obviously, there is some degree of negligence here. Nonetheless, nothing will be gained by prosecuting this young man for manslaughter. There must be some provision within the law that would prevent him from owning a firearm or hunting again. Seems to me that might be a suitable societal response in this instance. There are legal precedents that may apply. A good attorney will get the manslaughter charges reduced. It is a sad ending for two families.
wowwwwww

Long Eddy, NY

#19 Oct 27, 2011
Kid doesn't have a hunting liscense, it is after dark (illegal) and he is on probation and is not allowed to carry weapons, especially ones not REGISTERED to him. Gotta love these people.
wowwwwww

Long Eddy, NY

#20 Oct 27, 2011
Kid doesn't have a hunting liscense, is on probation and is not to be carrying guns, especially ones that are not registered to him, and its after dark...gotta love these people!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carthage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Photographer and firefighter joins passions to ... 21 hr Nudes 4
News Three charged with meth-making following downto... Jun 21 Ben Dover 47
Judy McAllister Jun 10 Tonya 1
harboring a 15 year old run away Jun 1 Sad Ending 5
Fort Drum Hookups May '16 Horny 2
Mike bolillo fire May '16 old timer 21
christopher patterson (Sep '15) May '16 Adam 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Carthage Mortgages