First Prev
of 2
Next Last
PLES

Cartersville, GA

#21 Dec 13, 2012
What's up with the principal at Pine Log and Superintendent?
Smarty

Calhoun, GA

#22 Jan 14, 2013
The Supt stated at the bd meeting that they were not required to have public participation?!? What??? Who do they represent?? Themselves??? Something doesn't ring true. I'll have to do a little searching.
Thoughts

Cartersville, GA

#23 Jan 14, 2013
Maybe it was a threat? Maybe what he really meant to say was, "If you keep complaining we are going to shut you down and allow no one to speak."

I am sure Harper would rather make the meetings totally closed to the public. Then they could do their thing without interference from the "little people" who are too stupid to realize that they (Harper and Nelson) know best.
wow

Cartersville, GA

#24 Jan 15, 2013
Smarty wrote:
The Supt stated at the bd meeting that they were not required to have public participation?!? What??? Who do they represent?? Themselves??? Something doesn't ring true. I'll have to do a little searching.
The supt said he was asking to have flexibility as to when during the meeting to have public participation, NOT to do away with it. Obviously you were not there. Stop making crap up just for attention.
funny

Cartersville, GA

#25 Jan 15, 2013
I remember mrsgsp yelling awhile back that she was going to show up demanding protection for our students, blah blah. Just as I thought, all mouth and no show.
Watch the video

Cartersville, GA

#26 Jan 15, 2013
There was the thinly veiled suggestion from Harper that they are not required to have it. Watch the video and see what he said. There is no reason to change the policy, and Harper/Nelson/Howard are tired of hearing from the public. They can make it sound good all they want, but messing with the policy in the first place doesn't pass the smell test with those three.
say what

Cartersville, GA

#27 Jan 15, 2013
Watch the video wrote:
There was the thinly veiled suggestion from Harper that they are not required to have it. Watch the video and see what he said. There is no reason to change the policy, and Harper/Nelson/Howard are tired of hearing from the public. They can make it sound good all they want, but messing with the policy in the first place doesn't pass the smell test with those three.
To hell with watching the video, I was in the second row right behind their lawyer. Give it a rest, stop trying to stir up shit. Tell me exactky what the thinly veiled suggestion was. What were the words used?
Watch the video

Cartersville, GA

#28 Jan 15, 2013
Since it was a packed house, you were lucky to get a seat that close. A lot of people were there to hear what was said, and it is on video for you to watch.

In the video ( http://youtu.be/5oaTpIk74Ac )around the 1:20 mark, Harper said the following: "There are no requirements to have public participation during board meetings, but this board has chosen to do so." There is no reason for him to "remind" the public that this board is doing the public a favor unless there is a threat implied that it could disappear. I know parents do that to children all the time, remind them that the nice things they are allowed to do are "privileges" that can be taken away.

There is no real reason to change the policy to make it more flexible unless they are trying to discourage complaints. Let me tell you how this could work if the policy was adopted as presented by Harper. Public Participation is at a different time every meeting, so it becomes unpredictable. Most often I believe it will be placed after regular business or even after Executive Session. Most people will have left the meeting by then, especially if Executive Session gets dragged out for some time. Another "dirty little secret" that people familiar with Robert's Rules of Order know is that a motion to adjourn must be taken up when it is made, no matter what is left on the agenda. I have seen it used to cut meetings short that have gone long. If the board has 3 votes to adjourn, it is binding, no matter whether the public has spoken or not. It is actually even binding if business isn't finished. So move public participation to the end, drag the meeting out, and then adjourn due to time. See how that works? Nelson and Harper wouldn't change it for no reason. There is an agenda here.
wow

Cartersville, GA

#29 Jan 15, 2013
So by him saying the board has chosen to allow the public to attend, that is a veiled threat?

Good God, get a grip.

I could have sworn he said more than once that the board has no intention of eliminating public participation. I guess you can correct me and tell me he didn't say that.
wow

Cartersville, GA

#30 Jan 15, 2013
Interesting. It makes you wonder who the genius was that thought this was the perfect time to mess with that particular policy.

Like it or not, with all the public speaking out in the last year, plus the controversies surrounding Cornett, the perception left by the board looking at this policy that hasn't been touched since 2000 is that they are up to something.

If they were smart, they would have just gone about normal mundane things for the rest of 2013 to let the dust settle. As it is, doing it now makes people suspicious.
Watch the video

Cartersville, GA

#31 Jan 15, 2013
I'm sure Harper always tells the truth. No one trusts this bunch.
Hmm

Cartersville, GA

#32 Jan 15, 2013
Wasn't it Shakespeare that said, "he doth protest too much"?

The larger point is that trust is earned. Two members of the board seem to not care about public perception, while the other two showed last night that they remember who they serve. Those two members are earning the public's trust. The first two lost the public's trust a long time ago. Unless the board starts moving back towards transparency, nothing that they do will be perceived with anything but suspicion.
say what

Cartersville, GA

#33 Jan 15, 2013
I arrived at the meeting at about 5:28pm so I could get a seat. I sat and waited for 30 minutes which was okay with me. Plus the meeting didn't start till about 6:03 if that matters.

I still see no veiled threat. I am totally against Harper but I'm not going to say he did something when I know he didn't.
Deadhorse

Franklin, GA

#34 Jan 15, 2013
Ok, cut it out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cartersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Carmike cinema closing in 2016? Tue Really 12
Deputy Woody (Nov '10) Tue Interested 160
Lawsuit threatened over Bible distribution at s... Tue Bless our hearts 9
Trinity Railcar up and running again? (Jul '11) Mon Miguel gomez 11
Black selfies and Close-ups Dec 22 Walter Melon 1
Five Forks Baptist Church Dec 22 Tom Tom 2
Bartow County Sheriff's Deputies (Sep '13) Dec 22 Bill 30

Cartersville News Video

Cartersville Dating
Find my Match