Deputies shoot, kill hammer-wielding ...

Deputies shoot, kill hammer-wielding woman

There are 2367 comments on the The Atlanta Journal-Constitution story from Dec 17, 2010, titled Deputies shoot, kill hammer-wielding woman. In it, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that:

A woman was shot and killed by law enforcement in Bartow County Thursday night after she attacked a deputy with a hammer, authorities said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

NoMoBama2012

Newport News, VA

#167 Dec 19, 2010
Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
And your typo and made up word is not ignorant? And it is my opinion, I am entitled to it, and facts are irrelevant when evaluating personal opinions.
I have the right to my feminine, reactionary style. It would be simpler if guys responded to guy posts and girls to girl posts, or at least if the males of the forums, who are often bullies, were to allow the female posters to post without responding to them, or at least without trying to force a man's conversation style on them. And feminism has done nothing to address the root problems. Women don't need to be learning to assert themselves as men and bullying others as men and learning other bad habits of men. Maybe, men with the bad habits need to be getting marginalized.
And it is every bit true. Most men who join the military or police do so because they enjoy murdering people, bossing them around, pretending to be important, being arrogant, or bullying others. It is all about competing and getting ahead at the expense of others and fulfilling sick, illegitimate needs. Must I remind you of the sickos who went to certain foreign countries to rape/dismember the women women and blow children to bits, who got an erection or scratched a mark each time they murdered defenseless children and civilians? You or me could do that and get the needle, but they do it and get promoted and awarded medals. The less of a heart and soul you have, the higher you get promoted. Just a bunch of latent homosexuals and self-hating men who take their darkest fantasies out into military or police work. Maybe that is the real threat of repealing DADT. We might end up seeing that most of the military already consists of gay men in denial.
Very rarely do you hear about the brutal cops who deserve to die getting theirs in the line of duty. Then again, that would be horrible, since they would be recognized as a hero, even if they were in the midst of sexual assault and murder allegations, known for sexual harassment on the job, and known for brutality. But dying on the job makes all that just disappear, and they get recognized as deity when taking bullets and dying was the best thing they could do for humanity.
zzzzzzzzzzz You know the voice of the teacher in the Charlie Brown cartoons?? Whaaah Whaaah whaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Thats what your post read like.....drolling offtopic nonsense.
Hometown Man

Cartersville, GA

#168 Dec 19, 2010
I am glad last nights comments here were not like the last 20. Most of you are just throwing out rhetoric that makes absolutely no sense. The story here is about Police Misconduct and Improper Police Procedure. I do not know any of the parties involved personally. However I did speculate a few ideas in previous writings and then my speculations became Facts after they were Identified through a 3rd party.

I had a conversation with a female friend who said the last time she saw her she heard this statment, " If they ever come after me they gonna have to kill me". One of the Deputy's involved knew her personally so surely he knew this was the case and did not care. After what Happened in Atlanta I would have surely thought the " NO KNOCK " warrant would not be executed in this county but surely I was mistaken.

What we need to comment on is the facts of the case as it is written in testimony in the news. The officers went on shift and Immediately Served a warrant without the use of S.W.A.T. or an Agency assist , according to Daily Tribune News. "THE Examiner", Atlanta news agency, States there was 1 Bartow County Deputy and 1 Police officer. There's some confusion as to the facts there.

Where there is no confusion however is the FACT that the officers failed to use Common Sense and Proper Procedure here. The clear and evident fact that the suspect fled on foot out the back ,while officers Shot and killed Holly Gooch, shows that the officers did not use good common sense here and should have announced themselves and apprehended the , CONSIDERED ARMED AND DANGEROUS, suspect through means and use of S.W.A.T and/or police negotiations.

The FACT is this case was handled so poorly that certain Death is a result from it's proceedings. We must agree that if this was our home and our family and a known wanted suspect was in our home , we as citizens should be given the right to step outside and let the officers handle the suspect, not the residence owner. Under no circumstances should a " NO KNOCK" warrant ever be issued for anything less than a serial killed and/or known murderer with substantial evidence. How this man was labled a severe threat simply because he walked in and stole a gun to get money for food,clothes,drugs, or what ever the case may be is something to look at in itself.

Are we to honestly believe that this is how an Officer of the law should perform his duties and that proper police procedure was followed here? Are we to believe that this one mans stupid decision was worth the Innocent life of Holly Gooch. I have seen so much about her drug use here and so much slander against her it makes me sad to. Why can't just accept the possibility that maybe she wasn't on any type of drug at the time and she felt personally persecuted by the officer or officers she knew and she felt she had done nothing wrong herself and felt attacked. I would have never thought a Woman swinging a hammer would be Shot and killed by 2 well trained officers of the law. But apparently Milsap wants us to be in fear of his officers and this is his message.

Clark, All the problems we've had in Bartow County as a result of your poor work will be remembered in years to come and never forgotten. Before you we had no such crimes and no such deaths to this magnitude. You have made every single Investigation a personal vendetta and I pray that the father himself will reward you in his own way. I will comment more later. Please Pray for all parties involved. I'm honestly starting to think that even the officers here may be victims of poor judgment by their Superiors. Maybe we should be talking about the Superiors who made this case possible and not the officers who reacted so quickly and as if they had not been properly trained. Lately in our fair City , every possible Officer/Suspect altercation , there has been only one answer. The use of deadly force.

WE MUST STOP THIS POLICY!! The county is sending a new Message.
Det Harry Callahan SFPD

Bloomingdale, IL

#169 Dec 19, 2010
If I were running the show, 3 battalions of Special Forces teams would have been deployed with automatic weapons, flame-throwers, rocket launchers and surface-to-air missles. That'll put an end to any future nefarious ideas by female hand tool wielders.

Since: Dec 10

Atlanta, GA

#170 Dec 19, 2010
Just a tip, the shorter, the more to the point the post, the more likely it is to be read.

Covington, GA

#171 Dec 19, 2010
This thread, like Holly, is dead.
hometown boy

Acworth, GA

#172 Dec 19, 2010
Hometown Man that was a great post you hit the nail on the head .You should run for Clarks job ! We need more people in public office that think like you ! Great post !
Hometown Man

Cartersville, GA

#174 Dec 19, 2010
Thank You Sir. I'm seriously considering running for that office very soon. Thank you sir.
Who Tee Who

Rio, WI

#175 Dec 19, 2010
GameChanger wrote:
<quoted text>
Alright, first of all, as I have said in other posts, I do not approve of taking a human life except when absolutely necessary to protect yourself, your family/people, the weak, or, in some cases, your property.
Now with that being said, if I were a police officer, which I have never been (although I have done Security if that counts for anything), and a suspect were brandishing a weapon towards me, I would instruct that person to "drop the weapon and place your hands up". If he or she did not comply, I would use force as appropriate.
As for the contention of Size, Age, or Gender being considerations... all I can say is that you most likely have little or no Security, Military, or Law Enforcement training. I don't usually make such statements about a poster on the Internet, but in this case I will. Because it is clear that either that is the case, or you are simply looking for a response (trolling), in which case, I guess, here you go (LOL), although I may or may not do so in the future (if you were simply seeking a response), but anyway... a cardinal rule of proper Internet Posting is to assume good faith, so I shall do so.
To make a long story short, if you seriously think that a female, including a 13-year old, or even a 78-year old grandmother, could not commit murder the same as a 20/30-something year-old male could, you seriously need to do some research on Criminology. If you need some links I will provide them. Or you can just use a search engine.
Another thing, your statement reeks of Ageism and Sexism. Do you really think that a female cannot kill somebody as violently as a male can? You might want to Google the name "Aileen Wuornos". I believe you will learn quite a bit. You can also do "Giggling Granny" as well.
I believe in educating people, including the literally thousands of people who will read these posts although never reply. Education is priceless. Knowledge is power.
I'm not trying to prove you wrong, only to get to the truth. If I happen to be wrong, all you have to do is SHOW me EXACTLY WHERE and HOW I am wrong, and I will change my story and follow you instead.
And no, I do not believe in "Gun'em Down". In fact, this can easily be proven by some of my recent posts on this board. Including the following:
http://www.topix.com/forum/atlanta/T0FU4F78LU...
http://www.topix.com/forum/atlanta/T4GTC0R82E...
Furthermore, I am 100% against the Death Penalty, and a very outspoken advocate against Police Brutality and Police and/or Government Misconduct in any form. And I detest ANY case of Abuse Of Power, whatsoever.
So in summary, no, you were incorrect about my intentions and have apparently misinterpreted my post. Although in all due fairness, I might not have been clear enough in my original post.
What I was trying to say was basically that a police officer has the right to defend his/her self against a perpetrator who is SERIOUSLY trying to do him/her physical harm. However, I do not know all of the details of this specific case, therfore I will admit that there could be something I do not know. And I am certainly willing to listen to you (or anyone else) about it.
Blather on foolish pompus ass.I'ts clear you are very impressed with yourself.Are you trying to tell me a old gramma with a hammer could take out a cop that was built like Mike Tyson.You are about as smart as a cricket. Ramble on Cricket.
Cartersville Citizen

Atlanta, GA

#176 Dec 19, 2010
Well Said Hometown man!
You have got to be a Lawyer representing the people? Sounds Like a man I would like to get to know.
Rumor has it that the no knock was issued based on reliable C.I. that Prather was at that residence at that time? below is the blotter report of Prathers arrest and the shooting.
Total Mis Conduct!
My concern is that if the officers were following order to knock down the door, Who issued that order?
No where does it state prather was arrested for armed robbery...Just a suspect! Below is the daily tribune report on Prathers arrest.

Authorities identify victim in officer-involved shooting
by Amanda Stegall The Daily Tribune News
15 hrs ago | 1142 views || 1 || A woman fatally wounded during an attempt to serve a warrant Thursday night has been identified as Holly Gooch.

Bartow County Sheriff's Office deputies arrived at the residence at 3 Lee St., Cartersville, to issue a warrant for Jeremy Starr Prather, who was a suspect in an armed robbery case, according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. After he fled the scene on Lee Street, Prather was found by deputies at a nearby McDonald's.

Prather was arrested on a Superior Court bench warrant for failure to appear and charged with a bondsman-off bond charge from June 10.

The relation between Prather and Gooch, who was 34 at the time of her death, has not been released at this time.

Gooch allegedly attacked one of the officer's with a hammer while Prather escaped out the back door of the residence. The officer was treated and released by Cartersville Medical Center after receiving injuries to his hand.

Read more: The Daily Tribune News - Authorities identify victim in officer involved shooting
purple girls husband-pimp

Cartersville, GA

#177 Dec 19, 2010
bitch get of dis internets and get yo ass in da kitchen and make me dinner. you gots work tonite.
Hometown Man

Cartersville, GA

#178 Dec 19, 2010
That's what I'm studying now. I've been trying to get good points across to this county for years. I can and will run If people promise me votes so I will not be just a disgrace made fun of for trying to run against such corruption. I want to run for Sheriff and I want to clean this town up but I need votes and I need People. I'm studying Law and it's practices every single day now. My life is devoted it after it came to me first. I did not start this war but i will not back down.

We must stand up and fight back the right way, The legal way, and the American way. We must use the constitution as our tool and study it to the letter. My case is still weak and circumstantial at the moment. But I'm Constantly working on it daily. Bartow County is sending the wrong message here. They're basically stating that unless you lay down your arms and submit to the will of the Unjust you will be met with Deadly Force. No lives are being saved in this county this year. Yet lives are being taken by our officers almost monthly. To many police reports are thrown out due to pure circumstantial evidence yet they use they exact same circumstantial evidence to use Deadly Force on Innocent women and children.

Just glad to know I got a few people on my side. Even if it's just one or Two atleast i'm not alone. Thanks for that. Now let's get back to the topic at hand. Please speak up If you believe this was Poor police work in Bartow County. Regardless of the Particulars, lets look at the facts and decipher the probable cause. What say you?
the Snitch

Acworth, GA

#179 Dec 19, 2010
MURDER in Bartow County--that's all the shooting of Holli Gooch amounted to.

I've tried to tell you, we have an INCOMPETENT Sheriff. Everybody that works there now in kin-folks or close friends. They left two small children Motherless and probably nobody will give a SHIT. The Cover-up began moments after the shooting. The body has been sent for autopsy to establish cause of death.{Hell, she was shot 5 times--you don't have to be a doctor to know what killed her.}

I am going to start telling you who the Incompetent and Dangeous personnel are, at the county and city.

VOTE FOR STEVE HOLLOWAY FOR SHERIFF OF BARTOW COUNTY!!! That's all for now Folk's
TedsLiver

San Jose, CA

#180 Dec 19, 2010
In this case, the cops needed to put the hammer down!
Hometown Man

Cartersville, GA

#181 Dec 19, 2010
Well Snitch we're all listening. Please tell us. We already have a cover up reported that Lee Fletcher Chased the boys on ccc rd in 2002. Then there's Lee Hunt living in Carey's house and selling drugs the entire time to half the sheriff's department. Then There's the Garmon case. Then There's the Case of the K-9 dogs, Billy Lancaster I believe was his name. Then we have the cover up of the speeding Deputy/Motorcyclist who wrecked on hwy 61. Then there's the issue of a police chase last year that was totally fabricated and made up to give an innocent man the first criminal charges of his life.

Sorry I'm rambling. Oh wait , no I'm not. This actually happened. What's Next? Snitch please entertain us sir.

Kennesaw, GA

#182 Dec 19, 2010
The Sage wrote:
I'm still waiting for someone to name a place and time to show me how it's done. All of you big mouth critics of the police talk a big game. Come on! Show up! Let's see you disarm someone attacking YOU with a hammer! Put up or shut up! Name a time and place!
Honestly, I had disarmed a crazed lunatic with a bat before (after being hit over & over repeatedly-with my daughter in my arms mind you)
This happened in my yard, unexpectedly attacked,I had to just drop my daughter, use my arms & body to block the blows from my head...after 16-20 blows, I was able to disarm her. I took the bat out of her hands, the police pulled up at that very moment & took me to jail, too. All because I was holding the bat, but I was the one who was injured. NOW, TELL ME HOW I WAS TREATED FAIRLY!!! It was woman to woman of equal size. Surely, if I can disarm a woman of my size beating me with a bat, swinging at my head, 2 grown (much larger) men could have disarmed her. Just saying. I've done it, they could've too. And I hate conflict, but I did have to defend myself. Since I had no gun, I had to do what I had to do...
Now I will say this, I'm not defending either side, but I was just responding to your statement. Yeah, she made bad choices. Yeah, she shouldn't have been involved in a situation like that. Yeah, she shouldn't have attacked them. But do you know how many stories I have of stupid crap the police shouldn't have done?
I had a drive out tag on my vehicle & a police officer pulled me over for not having the vin number on it. It was dark & he was the parallel lane, not behind me. He was looking for any little thing he could (wasting MY time, by the way, and I had somewhere to be)shined his flash light all in my car like I was a criminal (which he knew I wasn't when he ran my ID), made me get every piece of paper work out from where I bought the car. Then when everything checked out, he wrote me a warning ticket...OVER A VIN NUMBER!! REALLY? I asked him if I should take it back to the dealer & have them put the vin number on my tag. He says, "No, you can just write it on there yourself." WELL ALRIGHTY THEN...Why didn't you just hand me a sharpie in the 1st place so I could fix it, instead of wasting all of my time?
That's just one bull crap story. I filed a sexual harassment report that the officer never filed...the list goes on.
No, I don't condone her actions, but theirs weren't completely justified either.
The Sage

Kennesaw, GA

#183 Dec 19, 2010
Hometown Man wrote:
.......... this was the case and did not care. After what Happened in Atlanta I would have surely thought the " NO KNOCK " warrant would not be executed in this county but surely I was mistaken.
What we need to comment on is the facts of the case as it is written in testimony in the news. The officers went on shift and Immediately Served a warrant without the use of S.W.A.T. or an Agency assist , according to Daily Tribune News. "THE Examiner", Atlanta news agency, States there was 1 Bartow County Deputy and 1 Police officer. There's some confusion as to the facts there.
Where there is no confusion however is the FACT that the officers failed to use Common Sense and Proper Procedure here. The clear and evident fact that the suspect fled on foot out the back ,while officers Shot and killed Holly Gooch, shows that the officers did not use good common sense here and should have announced themselves and apprehended the , CONSIDERED ARMED AND DANGEROUS, suspect through means and use of S.W.A.T and/or police negotiations.
The FACT is this case was handled so poorly that certain Death is a result from it's proceedings. We must agree that if this was our home and our family and a known wanted suspect was in our home , we as citizens should be given the right to step outside and let the officers handle the suspect, not the residence owner........
You are so f-ing clueless it is laughable. You obviously have no clue what your'e talking about. You complained about them going on duty and immediately serving a warrant. Yeah, that's what they do! They go to work, and then GET TO WORK! Then you complain about them not using SWAT. No sh*t, Sherlock! There is no need to have SWAT go out on EVERY warrant. 99% of the time, serving warrants like this is no problem. That's because 99% of the time, there isn't some worthless meth junky who cares more about her drugs and her thug boyfriend robbing people than about being a good mother to her kids! Where were her kids? Oh, she doesn't have them!! Why? She's worthless!!
You've also obviously never dealt with the media. I've been involved in numerous cases that have made the news. We issue ONE statement to all news agencies. Do you know what happens? Every agency interprets it differently and the story appears different in EVERY news report! Then idiots like you come along and conclude there must be some kind of cover up, because 10 reporters tell a story 10 different ways. It isn't our fault every news agency puts their own spin on things!
Proper procedure was followed by the cops. When they show p at yoru door to arrest you because YOU robbed somebody, that doesn't give your meth wh*re girlfriend the right to attack the deputies with a hammer! The dead b*tch is the one who made things get out of hand!
You just ramble and spout off a bunch of irrelevant information. You're complaining about "no knock warrants".... that has absolute nothing to do with this case! You're just throwing out a bunch terminology you know nothing about! You're a joke!
I challenge you right now: put up or shut up! Name a time and place to show me how it is done, or shut your pie hole! If you are unwilling to meet me somewhere to show me how the deputies should have done it, you are in no position to criticize them. If you can't do it yourself, then shut up about the way they were FORCED to handle it.
Name a time and place, or shut up.
Deo Vindice

Sacramento, CA

#184 Dec 19, 2010
The cops reacted to the threat and neutralized it.
Good for them.
They didn't start the dance, she did.

THE SCUM BAGGETTE (female version of a scum bag) GOT WHAT SHE DESERVED.

One thing for sure,
she will commit no more robberies or assaults.
Instant justice - case closed is closed

No appeals, no ACLU, no CAIR, no political correctness garbage to interfere.

Those of you who disagree are liberals / islamofascists with a built-in hatred for any line of authority, whether it is the police or the military.

Slime like you cheer the muslims who behead American soldiers in Iraq.

M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S

Covington, GA

#186 Dec 19, 2010
You were hit 16-20 times? Was this a wiffle ball bat?
Just because alledge to have a bad encounter with one officer doesn't mean you have to lump up every cop in every city the same. There are holes in your story but you seem to really want to prove a point, so go right ahead.
hammertime

Cincinnati, OH

#187 Dec 19, 2010
Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>The only risk they had if they were so well trained was to their machismo and pride. If they were adequately trained, they could have disarmed her. But their clear incompetence and lack of training caused them to kill. For all we know, it was a calculated, cold-blooded killing - bigotry against poor and addicted persons, and the hammer was planted and all the cops conspired to tell the same story. By the way, female police officers are generally trained harder than male officers when it comes to hand to hand combat and martial arts to prevent their natural inclination to fear or insecurity from making them overly quick on the draw.

Calling her "just a meth-head" is no different than saying someone is "just a [racial expletive]," "just an immigrant," "just a child," "just a woman," "just a Muslim," "just a Jew," etc. Maybe you'd be happy if we enacted a law that made all drug users fair game and anyone can take pot shots without fear of prison. Hey, if they cops can do it, why not us? And where would we draw the line? Could we cap alcoholics too? What about those who had too much coffee? Lets put a bullet in all the drug-using vermin, right? Hey a city burial is cheaper than incarcerating and treating them, they won't be shoplifting, burglarizing, and robbing people, and the liberals among us won't have their sensitivities challenged by seeing these people in the streets.

Your last statement make me wonder if you were abused as a child or as a spouse and internalized it. So to prevent your identity from splitting, you would side with the abusers and live through them. Or maybe you lived a sheltered life, had overprotective parents, and a life of privilege. So anyone who steps outside your narrowly defined norms needs punished somehow. And I'm only speculating as I don't know you. But putting all the blame on the woman and you being a woman, and lacking the natural affection that women are supposed to have towards each other, it does make me wonder how much you love yourself. And again, I don't know you, don't have enough information to discern the type of person you are, and mean you no ill will nor disrespect.
You must love the sound of your keys clicking don't you? How many times do you reread your posts before you are satisfied enough to hit submit? Making accusations about my childhood or love life...is funny too. I'm a happily married mommy to a 1 year old low twenties and my childhood was great too. Addicts free game??? Personally... I'm down. You mixing alcohol, and coffee, an a few other substances doesn't exactly make sense. Since when did meth, crack, and heroine become legal? call me a redneck but heII at least then my tax dollars won't be supporting their methadone rehab or their welfare. As far as the relevance on females cops' training. I'm lost. Or did you google that and want to share? I'd like to charge at you with a hammer an see if you want to risk that hammerstrike when you have a gun on your hip for some hand to hand.\end your rant and reup your tampons. You're the reason I am straight.:)

Kennesaw, GA

#189 Dec 19, 2010
I fudged yo mama wrote:
You were hit 16-20 times? Was this a wiffle ball bat?
Just because alledge to have a bad encounter with one officer doesn't mean you have to lump up every cop in every city the same. There are holes in your story but you seem to really want to prove a point, so go right ahead.
No, it was a wooden bat...but I guess you would think that considering.."It's just NOT possible to unarm a person without shooting them to death" or better yet, the fact that I'm a girl. I have nothing to prove & no reason to lie...so, I really don't care what you think...I'm just sharing my experiences.
Did you read my post...I said many stories, different officers. There are good officers out there, but there are way more arrogant pricks that use a badge as a legal form of controlling & intimidating another.
Common now, it's obvious which of you people are the cops....you're the hostile ones making threats....no wonder she may have felt threatened. I see threats being made, hostility, inviting others to a brawl, but no one else is threatening them. Everyone else is stating opinions. You fellas sure have done a fine job of representing the police, might I add.
Like I said She was in the wrong, but they could've handled it differently, too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cartersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
terri ross 19 min roger 2
Georgia: MLK Statue to Replace That of Tom Watson 12 hr Change 3
Removed posts 13 hr Change 1
Steak and rib restaurant 16 hr TheTruth 2
Recommendations for eye doctor 17 hr Russ 2
Former Sam Jones pastors son arrested again? 17 hr Lol 27
Larry Heath 18 hr Dingle 14
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cartersville Mortgages