First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Local

Cartersville, GA

#1 Feb 14, 2013
Why is it that black people do not tip in restaurants while dining out? But yet they are super needy and will run you to death for extra's!?? Is it the race or are they so ignorant that they really don't know better? Seriously 95% if them do not tip or if they do it's so lame it may as well be nothing... They always seem to act as if everyone "owes" them something.
Duderonomy Dimplesworth

United States

#2 Feb 14, 2013
It is probably because they don't like poor service, especially from a racist white girl.
EDUCATED

Cartersville, GA

#3 Feb 15, 2013
Blacks are not required to tip anymore. New Obama rule. Only whites have to.
whitegirlserver

Rome, GA

#4 Feb 15, 2013
the quickest way to get fired is to give bad service. Black people get great service just as all our customers get. THEY DON'T TIP.
yes

Kennesaw, GA

#5 Feb 15, 2013
well at least you didn't get shot.
biz owner

Thomaston, GA

#6 Feb 15, 2013
I've had this discussion before and from what black people have said (including several close black friends) it is a matter of ignorance. They think the server is paid a wage to give great service-that is their job- and that should be enough.
What they don't understand is the wage is either minimal or even less - around $2.50 an hour - because wage laws allow that. So, servers literally live off their tips.
More educated black folks do tip better, although it is usually right at 10% and no more.
Also, I've had the experience as a white customer that when I have gone out with a black friend or co-worker, and the server is black, the server talks to my friend and is very cordial to them and only talks minimally to me to take my order. They aren't impolite, just not friendly.
SMH

Lawrenceville, GA

#7 Feb 15, 2013
Blacks that do not tip usually fall into one of two categories:

They were too broke and had no business going out to eat in the first place.
or

The server did not meet the high standard of customer service expected from them.

There are a few blacks who just do not tip, but you have those in every race. The biggest problem I see with this is the stereotype that we do not tip. People give horrible customer service because they've heard we do not tip, then after we get this horrible service and do not tip... server now believes the stereotype to be true. Nevermind that the service was lacking.

I recently had that happen to me. The server was a little rude and didn't do much for our table. When i asked a white friend who worked there what was her problem. I was told that she doesn't like serving blacks because we don't tip. So yeah, SHE DIDN'T GET A TIP from me that day. but normally I tip 15 to 20%.
ok

Cartersville, GA

#8 Feb 15, 2013
If you took food stamps. You might get a better tip.
Notipnegro

Salt Lake City, UT

#9 Feb 16, 2013
I don't tip white folks. I steals from white folks. I rob white folks.
ok

Cartersville, GA

#10 Feb 16, 2013
Notipnegro wrote:
I don't tip white folks. I steals from white folks. I rob white folks.
And I whips your butts
Traveler

Cartersville, GA

#12 Feb 18, 2013
It's unfortunate that many of you have had such bad experiences with "blacks tipping"... Whether serving, or in the company of... I wish that I could say that I'm surprised, some of the behavior is cultural, most not actually. Those of us [blacks] who not only tip well and are very well traveled, choose to leave the county for a higher-end restaurant anyway. The local selection meets local "non-tippers" where they are. The local serving talent is average at best, sometimes unkept, not very well educated, and lacks the will to Wow customers.

If you care to receive advice... Aspire to serve at a higher-end restaurant. Work your way up like we all did. Don't expect society [customers] to just give you something, last I checked tipping is not a law, it's a courtesy. Your idea of "blacks tipping" will surely change. If your aspirations don't allow greater heights, do something else with your life, it's a shame to see great people in the wrong job. Most owners/managers here in town know our family well. They often give us great tables. Always stop by to say hello. And demand that their servers are attentive to us. For that, the servers are always over-rewarded.

One day I hope that we have you serve us... You will not be forever changed, just look for our faces more often. I tend to believe that this concern for you will not change any time soon. It's sort of like turning Queen Mary around...
biz owner

Thomaston, GA

#13 Feb 18, 2013
I always have the motto to order cheap and tip big and the server will always welcome you with open arms. It seems to me that everyone is debating who should blink first.
While I agree with the comments from Traveler, I would also add that if blacks want to change the image (and consequently the service) they should also be willing to make the first move.
Trying picking one restaurant you like where the service is decent and tip the server well (15 to 20%). Do that at the same restaurant a few times. I guarantee the customer service will go from "decent" to "outstanding" over a very short period of time.
We go out to eat some. We always order very cheaply because we are on a budget, but we always tip 20% unless the service is just awful. The restaurants we go to pay special attention to us and the servers treat us like gold, even though in dollars, our bill and tip isn't as much as others.
Traveler

Cartersville, GA

#14 Feb 18, 2013
biz owner wrote:
While I agree with the comments from Traveler, I would also add that if blacks want to change the image (and consequently the service) they should also be willing to make the first move.
Biz Owner, I own a private equity business and we have two companies in our portfolio, if we ever asked our customers to change their behavior to better accommodate our wishes, we'd be out of business pretty quickly. Sometimes we get taken to the woodshed over pricing [and we are very expensive], but we deliver the Wow anyway. I understand your point, I'm concerned that it requires a one-sided solution. It's mutual. Again, like turning Queen Mary around... But very possible.

If we truly want to promote individual responsibility then we should not bifurcate between political and cultural... I am responsible for my family and our habits, and not the [black] community at large. I would denounce them [other blacks] as quickly as I would a bad habit. Being labeled along with them never hurts me, only the server if they mistake my family for the average. We are way above average. My olive branch is already pretty extended here in the local market. And we will continue to support "buying local"...
I would

Cartersville, GA

#15 Feb 18, 2013
I would be happy if blacks kept out of our restaurants and stayed over at Bojangles and Churchs where their regular food is. That would solve the problem for everybody. They would be happy and I wouldn't have to listen to their very loud talk trying to make sure everybody knows they are there.

Now lets hear somebody try and tell me blacks don't talk loud and yell wherever there are two or more of them in a pack.
crazy

Cartersville, GA

#16 Feb 18, 2013
wow i really thought racism was over , cartersville is still full of so much hatered... and it is very sad....
biz owner

Thomaston, GA

#17 Feb 18, 2013
Traveler, I don't disagree with you at all. I was addressing those "average folks" both black and white really, who complain about service but never tip.
From my experience in the industry, here are some others who typically don't tip:
Southern Baptists
Millionaires
Wanna-be millionaires
The "Walmart" crowd

That's a whole bunch of people. The best tippers are:
Jewish folks
Hispanic folks
Those who have lived in large Northern cities
Middle-class people and slightly upper middle class people
College graduates
Anyone who has ever worked in a service industry

Like I said, sometimes these conversations amount to who blinks first. Since you already tip well, then yes, any server shouldn't do a job based on perceptions. That is wrong.
It is equally wrong for those who have never tipped well (no matter what race) to expect better than average service when they (or a demographic group they belong to) have never tipped well. If they change their behavior, it might get a better result. Tip means "to insure promptness" and has always been a method to incentivize servers.
That being said, I would hope that all servers would want to do their job well and give great service no matter what because they take pride in their work. I know there are many who do even if they don't get a tip.
I would

Cartersville, GA

#18 Feb 18, 2013
crazy wrote:
wow i really thought racism was over , cartersville is still full of so much hatered... and it is very sad....
Look at the news story out of Atlanta over the weekend. Waffle House is charging an extra 20% on all orders because they have hired 24 hour security. This is only at the waffle house in the negro area. Yes it is very sad, isn't it?

Now call waffle house racist, too.
Buzzword

Rome, GA

#19 Feb 19, 2013
Waffle House is charging for security in the Underground Atlanta location; NOT a negro-area location. It it takes security to be able to safely serve patrons, then so be it. Why risk a lawsuit if something happened, in a place where it is likely that it could/would? Chain restaurants don't always price themselves the same at every restaurant; it depends on the need. You will pay more for your McRib in NYC or Miami, than you will in Bartow County.
Scrumpty

Cartersville, GA

#20 Feb 19, 2013
Buzzword wrote:
Waffle House is charging for security in the Underground Atlanta location; NOT a negro-area location. It it takes security to be able to safely serve patrons, then so be it. Why risk a lawsuit if something happened, in a place where it is likely that it could/would? Chain restaurants don't always price themselves the same at every restaurant; it depends on the need. You will pay more for your McRib in NYC or Miami, than you will in Bartow County.
"NOT a negro-area location."

This is not a racial comment in any way. However. That statement makes me wonder if you've ever been out of Bartow county at all, never mind been to Underground Atlanta.

As I have on several occasions, somehow I doubt it.

People R Crazy

Montgomery, AL

#21 Feb 19, 2013
I have served many people over the years as a bartender. I never had a problem with any race tipping less than others, the problem I had was with gender. I worked a bar for years, and on occasion when we had a busy night, they would bring in another bartender to "help". I put help in quoates, because she didn't do anything. Cusstomers woudl complain to me all niht about her, they would go out of thier way to have me mix thier drinks, because she couldn't do it right. At the end of the night, she ended up with way more tips than me. I even had a customer, ehi was one that would refuse to let her make his drink, and complain about her all night give me a $2 tip, and give her $20, look at me and say "You know how it is"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cartersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Former CPD officers: Reverse jail ministry deci... 5 hr LkRir472 7
Avatron Theme Park 6 hr LkRir472 1
Two arrested as homicide investigation continues 6 hr Fifteen 7
Robby Carr Murder 10 hr foreal 105
News Woman dies after car is hit on U.S. 41 (Jun '06) Fri anonymous 3
Review: Dent Repair Inc. (Aug '14) Fri Elmer 17
Worst jobs to work in Cartersville Thu dab 15
More from around the web

Cartersville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE