Titusville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

High Resistance Open wrote:
FYI, to those applying for a wire tech position. Wire techs do not work in the cable. A LD10 splice terminal is not a drop wire and it is not a serving terminal. If your tone is on the serving terminal binding post and its not making it to the Xbox or coming up on the right pair a helper ticket has to be created for a service tech skilled for cable troubles or a facility tech to correct the problem. A wire techs responsibility is from the sai to the field term and from the serving term to the rg.
For those of us who don't know the acronyms, at which point from the distribution point, to pole, to the house is a PT/Wire Techs responsibility?
High Resistance Open

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Bill in FL wrote:
<quoted text>
For those of us who don't know the acronyms, at which point from the distribution point, to pole, to the house is a PT/Wire Techs responsibility?
. There will be a serving terminal and binding post assigned to every uverse order. The wire tech takes the service from that serving terminal to the customers modem (rg) by whatever means neccesary. At the vrad is a crossbox. The wire tech must wire the vrad port to the assigned field cable pair. In theory if the facilities are correct then the assigned field cable pair should be working on the assigned binding post at the serving terminal. If after wiring it all you still have no sync then a helper ticket is required to resolve the issue. If the serving terminal at the premise does not have a terminal block a helper ticket is required as it becomes cable work.
Anonymous

Titusville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

CableCowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Usually if your quality and customer satisfaction numbers are up with minimal repeats, they will give you grace on job duration if it goes over. As much as they want to push "numbers" on the crew, it all comes down to how satisfied the customer is...if they aren't, they are gone in an instant and on to someone else, and will be near impossible to get that customer back once gone.
Although, that doesn't mean dick around for hours and show the customer every little option of everything...or in my case during a ride along, switch out 10 "defective" cable boxes for 4 hours when you probably should have started troubleshooting the cable and sync after the 2nd one didn't work...
They also have eliminated the option of seeing the Job Completion Time around here...so unless you were already pretty familiar with how much time you had, new guys don't know..you just go out and do the job and hope it was good time.
Cool....this falls in line with how I was hoping it would be. I'm more into the customer service end than the lets see how many I can blow through camp. Having had to go back later and put out their fires I'd prefer to handle my own recalls and they handle theirs.

Explaining every option on their remote IME usually spells trainwreck...if they're eyes glaze over if they ask "what does this do?" and I can tell the lights are on but nobody's home, I say "dont touch it and you'll be fine." Usually that suffices, everybody's happy and I don't get a recall.

LOL ten "defective" cable boxes...too funny. Agreed he should have ckd the signal waaaay back.. If he's still employed I don't forsee any problems making quota.
Anonymous

Titusville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

High Resistance Open wrote:
<quoted text>.
The wire tech takes the service from that serving terminal to the customers modem (rg) by whatever means neccesary.
(snip)
By serving terminal you mean the (in our area) green plastic box that has the RJ-11 female connector mounted on the side of the house?
So assuming that signal is good from that connector, but no signal recieved at the modem, I would run a jumper from that terminal to the modem bypassing everything, make sure it works, and then quote them time/material to repair their house wiring and give them the option for us or somebody else to repair it. Correct?
High Resistance Open

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Bill in FL wrote:
<quoted text>
By serving terminal you mean the (in our area) green plastic box that has the RJ-11 female connector mounted on the side of the house?
So assuming that signal is good from that connector, but no signal recieved at the modem, I would run a jumper from that terminal to the modem bypassing everything, make sure it works, and then quote them time/material to repair their house wiring and give them the option for us or somebody else to repair it. Correct?
serving terminal would be the place where the customers service line attaches ( line between serving terminal and ONI or customer interface. As far as inside goes in the southeast we are required to place cat5 iw between the customers ONI and the rg. Sometimes that part of the install is free and sometimes not depending on how many televisions they are getting and what promotion they are being offered
Milwaukee PT

Waukesha, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Bill in FL wrote:
<quoted text>
Fiber----<SAI, XBOX, VRAD>----------<TERMINAL >----------<NID (network interface device)>---------<RG (residence gateway)>
(Serving aerial interface, cross box)(Aerial=pole, buried=ground). Drop wire Attached to house or in basement Cat5. Central part of home

You would use JDSU meter to check for sync at term (good), NID (good), RG (bad) inform cx of IW (inside wiring) issue and costs, if cx has mantance plan no charge providing not abuse caused (dog chewed on wire as example) you or cx could hook up RG to NID with BBU (battery backup unit) and data cable to verify IW issue.

Note: if using your meter and sync is good at RG data cable then cx RG is bad and needs to be replaced, if 3800 or 3801 (vdsl leased has TVs) no charge to replace, if internet only or internet and phones then 3600 (vdsl) or adsl modem then billable as cx owns these modems.
CableCowboy

Santa Barbara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Or, if you're in the D9 region, it goes a little something like this:

-Troubleshoot drop: "Hi yes, I need to create a helper ticket"
-Troubleshoot Serving Terminal: "Hi yes, I need to create a helper ticket"
-Hang new drop: "Hi yes, I need to create a helper ticket"

I tell you what though, with all those ticket calls, the MST's around here sure earn their wages hahah
JimKC

Vienna, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Dave kansas city wrote:
Well its 2013 now many things have changed in the last 6 year we do make more money now but we also do more work now top pay is around 22.00 a hour now still not enuff for what we do but still better pay than a lot of the jobs out there now, I belive out union doesn't try hard enuff for us, we are still not on the core contract over all not a bad job even though it seems they try to make you fail but if you do your job nit much they can do.
Hey Dave,hopefully your still checking this post, but I'm working in the OP area and have orientation coming up. How are hours and work loads? Any advice?
Ronster2

Williamston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Well, my Wire Tech training starts today with a week of pole climbing school. I was surprised to discover the climbing class hours are 3pm to midnight due to the number of people attending the classes these days.

I'm sure I will not be at the top of my game today after 3hours travel to the hotel, check-in, and starting an abnormal work schedule at 3 pm to 12. Hopefully, the 2nd day will be better after a good nights rest and acclamation to the work day hours.

Anyone recently completed this school?

Looking forward to the training though, regardless of the hours. I think it will be very interesting!
Milwaukee PT

Waukesha, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Ronster2 wrote:
Well, my Wire Tech training starts today with a week of pole climbing school. I was surprised to discover the climbing class hours are 3pm to midnight due to the number of people attending the classes these days.
I'm sure I will not be at the top of my game today after 3hours travel to the hotel, check-in, and starting an abnormal work schedule at 3 pm to 12. Hopefully, the 2nd day will be better after a good nights rest and acclamation to the work day hours.
Anyone recently completed this school?
Looking forward to the training though, regardless of the hours. I think it will be very interesting!
Three started on March 8, Bama08 from Alabama (district 3) attending pole climb in North Carolina, left cable co to work for ATT,: should be checking in soon as he should be near 2 weeks supervised rides
Cable Cowboy (district 9) SoCal no pole climbing class, recently quit training to take a position with cable company
Hemipowered (district 9) NoCal, no pole climb should be near end of training

I am an older worker but you have me beat at 61, this week for many is the hardest due to physical demands of pole climbing, 4 ft to get comfortable, tests at 6, 12, 18 ft need min 2 practice climbs before request test climb instructor has to observe ascend rotate rotate left nd right around pole and descend, plus ladder work. Climbing is about four hours with four hours of classroom time. Late shift training means large hiring, hopefully some from your garage assignment, keep posting all this old tech will be looking forward to your success in the army of ATT.
Ronster

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Milwaukee PT wrote:
<quoted text>
Three started on March 8, Bama08 from Alabama (district 3) attending pole climb in North Carolina, left cable co to work for ATT,: should be checking in soon as he should be near 2 weeks supervised rides
Cable Cowboy (district 9) SoCal no pole climbing class, recently quit training to take a position with cable company
Hemipowered (district 9) NoCal, no pole climb should be near end of training
I am an older worker but you have me beat at 61, this week for many is the hardest due to physical demands of pole climbing, 4 ft to get comfortable, tests at 6, 12, 18 ft need min 2 practice climbs before request test climb instructor has to observe ascend rotate rotate left nd right around pole and descend, plus ladder work. Climbing is about four hours with four hours of classroom time. Late shift training means large hiring, hopefully some from your garage assignment, keep posting all this old tech will be looking forward to your success in the army of ATT.
Yeah, I figured it will be physical. I stay in decent shape, so hopefully I'll make it. Thx
CommoSgt

Ocala, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Been lurking here for a few weeks while I am in the hiring process. I retired from the US Army in Feb 2013. Applied online for a wire tech position in Chattanooga, TN. Completed test. Went to RJP and 1:1 interview last week. Got email around two hours after telling me I had passed and was in the pool. There were four others there so hopefully I am still in the race. Looks like I could be waiting months for a call.
Bigmac

Maryville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

CommoSgt wrote:
Been lurking here for a few weeks while I am in the hiring process. I retired from the US Army in Feb 2013. Applied online for a wire tech position in Chattanooga, TN. Completed test. Went to RJP and 1:1 interview last week. Got email around two hours after telling me I had passed and was in the pool. There were four others there so hopefully I am still in the race. Looks like I could be waiting months for a call.
How long did it take them I call you after you passed the test. I'm in the Knoxville area and passed the test on the 17th of April and still haven't heard anything.
Milwaukee PT

Waukesha, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

CommoSgt wrote:
Thank you for your years of service, after your 1:1 should hear within one to two weeks for physical, hire start date four to six weeks after physical, guessing hire date to be end June or early July. Normally will be a Friday for orientation with classroom training starting the following Monday. It appears to me as an older worker plus veteran gives you two extra consideration points helping ATT quotas
Best to you Sgt, would recommend level1 manager to you with your experience if interested.
CommoSgt

Ocala, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Bigmac wrote:
<quoted text>
How long did it take them I call you after you passed the test. I'm in the Knoxville area and passed the test on the 17th of April and still haven't heard anything.
Passed test on April 2 and I got a call to schedule the RJP/1:1 on April 10. Completed RJP/1:1 on April 24. Informed via email that I passed RJP on April 24.

I will update if and when I get a call.
Ronster2

Williamston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Ronster wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I figured it will be physical. I stay in decent shape, so hopefully I'll make it. Thx
Day one was a couple of hours of classroom taking care of paperwork and ground rules from two very experienced instructors. We were issued our training equipment and headed to the poles for basic equipment use and do's and do not's while using the equipment. Instructor's are working hard to implant basic, proven techniques, and safety using no more than two up and two down staying lower and learning the basic techniques.

This is no picnic. It is very physical and very serious business. One must remember that you are being paid to learn this and should be treated as your day's work for a day's pay. This helped me when I was beginning to cave about 9 pm last night. Lol!

I feel comfortable knowing that the instructor's intent is to teach you all the how-to's and not to fail you, although a student can fail themselves if they work at it.
CommoSgt

Ocala, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Milwaukee PT wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for your years of service, after your 1:1 should hear within one to two weeks for physical, hire start date four to six weeks after physical, guessing hire date to be end June or early July. Normally will be a Friday for orientation with classroom training starting the following Monday. It appears to me as an older worker plus veteran gives you two extra consideration points helping ATT quotas
Best to you Sgt, would recommend level1 manager to you with your experience if interested.
Yout advice is definately appreciated. Your posts have been very informative and helpful to a lot of folks here. I for one am very thankful that you are willing to share your experiences. I will keep in touch and hopefully be enlisting in the AT&T Army very soon. Thanks again.
Tyrone

Marrero, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

I just got an email stating that I from the recruiter stating that I passed the RJP/PTA/interview and they will be calling me with a condtional offer does this mean I got the job my background is clear n never smoked in my life
CableCowboy

North Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

conditional offer means you will be officially offered/employed after you pass drug test, background, and all pass/fail tests in training.
OC Tech

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

I'm still waiting to hear back from AT&T. I passed the TMTII on March 2nd. I'm just wondering what the physical consisted of. I've put on a few pounds since I moved from the field to the office but still well under the 275 lbs weight limit. I'm a little out of shape. Is that anything to be concerned about?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 6,581 - 6,600 of7,812
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Carrollton Discussions

Search the Carrollton Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 14 min fubar 21,307
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 21 min fubar 16,959
Hathaway School of Ballet 8 hr Sassypants 1
Add A Word Drop A Word (Nov '12) 9 hr Jennifer Renee 750
Why you should boycott the Tyler Texas Rose Fes... 9 hr Tyler Texas Rose Festival 1
Change A Letter Game (Nov '12) 12 hr Jennifer Renee 567
My Take on the Border 12 hr Petal Power 2
•••

Air Quality Alert for Dallas County was issued at July 21 at 2:57PM CDT

•••
•••

Carrollton News Video

•••
•••

Carrollton Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000