sweetdiqjones

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

can anyone explain to me how wage credits work?
Milwaukee PT

Waukesha, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

sweetdiqjones wrote:
can anyone explain to me how wage credits work?
Welcome, your first post on Mar 9 was marked with a reply from a post by Obama08 who stated he received college credit for wage credit, I believe this is your question.
For all union positions within ATT there are step progressions to go from lowest to highest with a step increase (pay increase) every six months as long as you have active time on the job, this is either a four yr (48 months) or five year (60 months) and is not based on any merit or test , you work the time you get the increase. As it is not fair to start someone with related education(s) and/or work experience(s) with someone just out of high school you receive time placement credit for what you bring to the job. The best most can hope for in a five year plan (60. Months) is to start at 36 months meaning four more pay raises to Max pay scale reached. I do not know the Max start on four year but accepting four pay raise theory would put someone at the 24 month credit with all the right stuff. In Mr Obama's case he had started with Comcast at 10.75 in Alabama, worked with them for two months before starting WT at $10.86 (12 month level, a one year credit, for his district and code thus three years and six steps to Max) Hope this is the answer you were looking for, the best to those in training or hiring process.
tech guy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Frito2anywhere wrote:
Is anyone in here familiar w/ the telecommunication technician field or know about a AT&T position called a "Premises Technician"? I JUST TOOK THIS HARD ASS TEST for this position and they would even disclose the salary. The test was like 30-40 outta 60(read the paragraph that explains a diagram, than answer 2-3) questions(relating to the type of work you would be doing if hired)in 60 min...WTF!!
I've done similar work before, but I was just hired on as a premises tech at 15.50 an hour. Within the year top pay should be close to 18. They do offer benefits. Soneone else in this post said they didn't. If your not afraid of hard work then this job isn't bad. Just be prepared to work 70 hours plus a week. Luckily overtime and per diem will leave your pockets full with little time to blow the money. Dont lisyen to all these wining people. They just want the easy road.
Bama08

Faith, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

workerman wrote:
<quoted text>
What job r u training for and how long is the training?
I've been in training for a few weeks - wire tech
litlmike

Hollywood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

I have a felony arrest from 21 years ago, does anyone think this may eliminate me from being hired?
San Diego Tech

El Cajon, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Anyone have any new info on Dist. 9 negotiations?
Torn

Dublin, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

San Diego Tech wrote:
Anyone have any new info on Dist. 9 negotiations?
Noticed on the CWA national site there's a new tentative agreement message posted today. Not much detail yet.

http://www.cwa-union.org/news/entry/cwa_barga...

I'm sure we prem techs are still getting screwed with pay. We deserve service tech pay and to be under core, no question about it!! I can live without the pension part. I'll take care of my own money.
Torn

Dublin, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

litlmike wrote:
I have a felony arrest from 21 years ago, does anyone think this may eliminate me from being hired?
Apply and find out.
CableCowboy

North Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Here's the more informative/detailed version for D9/West

http://www.cwa9003.org/
workerman

Costa Mesa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

CableCowboy wrote:
Here's the more informative/detailed version for D9/West
http://www.cwa9003.org/

So have you applied for the ibew lineman apprenticeship? Have you gone to any school? I just applied today for the ibew apprenticeship a guy there said it takes 4 months or longer to hear back for an interview.
CableCowboy

North Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

workerman wrote:
<quoted text>
So have you applied for the ibew lineman apprenticeship? Have you gone to any school? I just applied today for the ibew apprenticeship a guy there said it takes 4 months or longer to hear back for an interview.
I'm on the books at the Local, and also have taken the test for the Electrical Craft Helper route into the job, but that was 2 years ago...they can't get their act together right now with hiring/promoting, so it's a complete waiting game. Passed the test with a good grade and everything, but doesn't mean anything until they decide that they are in a hiring crisis to replace the retirees and the ones just about to retire....that's usually how it goes. Right now I'm just doing the prem tech job as a "for the time being" sorta gig until I hear from them. I'm also considering maybe just doing a lineman school and trying to get work out of state, I don't feel like staying here much longer anyways haha, and work is easier to get elsewhere
Rancho

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Anyone here back for the splicing/OSP positions in Riverside?
workerman

Anaheim, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Rancho wrote:
Anyone here back for the splicing/OSP positions in Riverside?
Nope, still waiting.
Rancho

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

workerman wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, still waiting.
A buddy of mine was called for one of the San Diego positions but they told him he wouldn't start till around June
HopefulPremTech

West Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Rancho wrote:
<quoted text>
A buddy of mine was called for one of the San Diego positions but they told him he wouldn't start till around June
Finally a little positive news.
Seriously

Oceanside, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Coppy wrote:
Keep in mind that att is hiring prem techs at a low wage, but will be expecting them to exmapnd the work base OUTSIDE of the home. It wont be long before the responsibilities of the prem tech include climbing pole, attaching drops, fixing cable pairs and beyond. Basically, everything a $30+ per hour tech does, but for peanuts. Why?
If you were a multi zillion dollar company looking to get twice for half, how would you do it?
Bamboozle the union into making a tier 2 wage group, then train the low guys to do the big dog work.
And to add salt to the wound...Detroit is offering VoIP over the uverse signal.
The less copper to fix, the less technicians needed...
Anyone seeing a trend here?

After witnessing 2 rounds of contract negotiations over 7 years as a Prem Tech,- I can say this about the above comment - Truer words were never spoken!

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Hey when you guys first applied, how long did it take before you received an invitation to test? I submiitted my app almost two weeks ago and haven't received anything but the generic acknowledgement email.
HopefulPremTech

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Rstscott wrote:
Hey when you guys first applied, how long did it take before you received an invitation to test? I submiitted my app almost two weeks ago and haven't received anything but the generic acknowledgement email.
I think it took about a week or so to get the invite, I wouldn't worry they are probably just waiting to fill up their list of applicants and schedule the groups.

I would recommend using your time now to study for the test, the best book I found is called "Barron's Mechanical Aptitude & Spatial Relations Test", also memorize the 25-pair wire color code and brush up on your basic electrical circuit knowledge.
yahooligan

Hollywood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

I have a question for anyone that can answer. I applied for prem tech back in January. I took my test in Feb, had the RJP and PTA on March 6th. I have been waiting to hear back about the drug test and background. I noticed that the application I posted had a "posting date" and "unposting date." Does the unposting date have anything to do with the start of the next training or when they will start calling the new guys back?(btw I'm not in CA so I don't have to worry about that strike stuff)
Ohiodave

Toledo, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

yahooligan wrote:
I have a question for anyone that can answer. I applied for prem tech back in January. I took my test in Feb, had the RJP and PTA on March 6th. I have been waiting to hear back about the drug test and background. I noticed that the application I posted had a "posting date" and "unposting date." Does the unposting date have anything to do with the start of the next training or when they will start calling the netw guys back?(btw I'm not in CA so I don't have to worry about that strike stuff)
Where are you from I had RJP March 6 also and recieved my offer this week I'm in Ohio

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Carrollton News Video

•••
•••

Carrollton Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Carrollton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••