Hell or High Water

Los Angeles, CA

#6550 Mar 5, 2013
Trust me I know! I'm stressin pretty hard on the situation as well.
hemipowered

Stockton, CA

#6551 Mar 5, 2013
Hell or High Water wrote:
Trust me I know! I'm stressin pretty hard on the situation as well.
is there any chance you taking a strike would even do any good? I've never been part of a union before. I just wonder if during orientation they will even bother telling us about what's going on. How can everyone ask of eachother to take up to six weeks off with no pay? That seems more harmful then attempting to renegotiate. That's a ton of money to give up.
Anti Union

El Cajon, CA

#6553 Mar 6, 2013
Does anyone know if you have to join the union in So Cal if you are hired by ATT as a prem tech? I do not like unions and do not want to pay into a union.
exex att guy

Baltimore, MD

#6554 Mar 6, 2013
Anti Union wrote:
Does anyone know if you have to join the union in So Cal if you are hired by ATT as a prem tech? I do not like unions and do not want to pay into a union.
If i'm not mistaken you don't have to join but they still take union dues out of your check
Milwaukee PT

Waukesha, WI

#6555 Mar 6, 2013
Anti Union wrote:
Is CA a right to work state?, you are nit required to join the union, option to join is your orientation day, but depending on your state you may still have to pay agency fee equal to union due please see the following link http://www.nrtw.org/a/a_1_p.htm hope this helps.
CableCowboy

North Hills, CA

#6556 Mar 6, 2013
So AT&T plans to halt training/work for this apparent strike? I'm not finding any information on it, what are the details and who is hearing this from who? I start training Friday.
Hell or High Water

Lakeside, CA

#6557 Mar 6, 2013
IMPORTANT NEWS REGARDING THE AT&T CORE TENTATIVE AGREEMENT AND POSSIBLE STRIKE

ACTIONSEE BELOW FOR MORE INFORMATION
March 1, 2013

PRESIDENT TO: ALL CWA DISTRICT 9 LOCAL PRESIDENTSWhen I spoke to all of you at the explanation meeting this past Monday I told you all plainly that the buck stopped with me.I explained everything that went into my decision. You heard from the bargaining committee that they had full input and were physically with me when I made the decision, and that, in part, their recommendation came from disgust with the company. You also were told that in their view turning down the agreement could likely at best result in some language modification relating to prem tech work.You were given all of the facts and I have provided you even more since then. I asked only that you apply at least as much reason as you did emotion to your decision and actions going forward and that you explain the agreement factually to the members.From much of what I am seeing and hearing, that was lost on many. I see a lot of fingers in the wind, and a lot of misinformation. I see this becoming a referendum simply on the fact that I made the final decision, rather than the realities of the agreement, the most basic of which is that this agreement contains everything and MORE than what is in the other settlements throughout ATT. I stand by my decision and I do not believe there is more to be had, however If an informed membership votes to reject the agreement so be it. I have requested that if the agreement is rejected that President Cohen set a strike date of midnight March 21. He has concurred with this request and an Executive Board poll is being conducted now. Upon approval, I will notify the company of this fact and that we will be prepared to bargain on day one of such strike, which we will do from a position of what strength a strike provides.In the meantime, walkouts that have occurred today are not sanctioned. All members should return to work and you should continue to educate them on the true facts and what is at stake so that their decision on the 21st comes in consideration of unfiltered facts.Jim WeitkampCWA District 9 Vice President
workerman

Chino Hills, CA

#6558 Mar 6, 2013
Well i just passed the tmtII exam today, in so. Cal there was about 17 or 18 n only 7 of uspassed we were there for splicing and osp tech i hope there isnt a strike i was really hoping to get hired this month ive been looking for a stable job for a year now.
Rancho

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#6559 Mar 6, 2013
workerman wrote:
Well i just passed the tmtII exam today, in so. Cal there was about 17 or 18 n only 7 of uspassed we were there for splicing and osp tech i hope there isnt a strike i was really hoping to get hired this month ive been looking for a stable job for a year now.
i was also there. PASSED. sad to hear about the strike coming. at least i have unemployment to get me by for a little while longer.
Milwaukee PT

Waukesha, WI

#6560 Mar 6, 2013
Just to lighten things up here is something from uverseusers.com about things cx say: http://www.uverseusers.com/index.php...
CableCowboy

North Hills, CA

#6561 Mar 7, 2013
Milwaukee PT wrote:
Just to lighten things up here is something from uverseusers.com about things cx say: http://www.uverseusers.com/index.php...
I'd enjoy uverseusers.com so much more if the site wasn't down 99.9% of the time...
Bama08

United States

#6562 Mar 7, 2013
Milwaukee PT,

How do I know how much of a raise ill get, my starting pay with AT&T will be 10.86, how long will it take me to top out?
Anti Union

El Cajon, CA

#6563 Mar 7, 2013
Well it looks like I will not have to join, however I will have to pay something. Supposedly not the full dues. "The most that nonmembers can be required to pay is an agency fee that equals their share of what the union can prove is its costs of collective bargaining, contract administration, and grievance adjustment with their employer".

I guess that is something I will have to fight after being hired.
Milwaukee PT

Waukesha, WI

#6564 Mar 7, 2013
From Google search (wage scale 6 PDF) for Bama08: you are in zone C hired at 12 month level ( will take three years to obtain max) hired 434.50 (10.86) under 9/12 contract start date 3/8/2013. By the time of your first 6 month raise (481.50 due 9/8), the contract will have advanced to second year giving you the 2.25% raise) so your first 6 month raise will be to 485.50 (12.14) charted would be like this.
434.50 (10.86 3/8/13), 485.50 (12.14 9/8/,13), 539.00 (13.48 3/8/14), 606.50 (15.16 9/14), 675.50 (16.89 3/15), 752.00 (18.80 9/15), 837.50 (20.94 3/16)
Please note for the last two the current contract would be expired and a new one in its place so they should be even higher possibly .50 to $1 per hour higher making top wage 21.50 to 22.
Milwaukee PT

Waukesha, WI

#6565 Mar 7, 2013
Anti Union wrote:
Well it looks like I will not have to join, however I will have to pay something. Supposedly not the full dues. "The most that nonmembers can be required to pay is an agency fee that equals their share of what the union can prove is its costs of collective bargaining, contract administration, and grievance adjustment with their employer".
I guess that is something I will have to fight after being hired.
What fight? You can :
1) take the job and either join or the union and pay dues or not join the union and pay agency fees (national law in a forced state)
2) hired and attempt to dismantle union ( hope not if this is the case see #4)
3) go into politics and change policy to a right to work state ( not join union and no fee or dues)
4) DO NOT take the job or APPLY at any companies that have unions
5) start you own business and set your own policies
Did I miss any options, regardless if hired at a union workplace your pay, benefits, and recourse for employment is all covered by the union contract, you cannot make your own private deal with the company , the union is obligated to represent you in all disputes but you can decline the representation and assistance to protect your job if you screw up because you are anti union.
Bama08

Houston, TX

#6566 Mar 7, 2013
Milwaukee - thanks a lot. Your a huge help on this site.
Anti Union

El Cajon, CA

#6567 Mar 7, 2013
Milwaukee:
I will not go into all of your BS. Who I CHOOSE to work for is none of you your business. Plain and simple the time for needing a union is over. Why doesn't the union protect Prem Tech's like they do the core? Nice strong brotherhood you got going there. What about different districts? Yeah that is working out well for you guys.

I do not need a union to fight for me. I do a good job no matter what it is and take care of myself. I was a member of the IAM and they filed a grievance on my behave because I was trying to better myself. Yeah that did not work out well for them.

The FIGHT would be them trying to charge me the full union dues instead of what the LAW allows. I am very conservative, so naturally I would do what i need to do take care of myself. If that is not in line with the union then to bad. Good day sir.
Bama08

Houston, TX

#6568 Mar 7, 2013
Anti,

You know what your walking into. If you don't like the setting or the dealings with the company - find a new one...
hemipowered

Stockton, CA

#6569 Mar 7, 2013
Real quick question, as far as dress goes for orientation, would my current work boots, khaki carhartt work pants and a polo be fine? Or do I need to do khaki dress pants shirt and dress shoes?
Anti Union

El Cajon, CA

#6570 Mar 7, 2013
Bama Isn't that something the employees could have done before organizing a union? Would you give them the same advise?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carrollton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Raped, tortured and forced to live in a wardrob... 17 hr Mikhail 1
War Is Going Badly for Kiev. Which Makes It All... 18 hr adamski 1
Loan shark Wed Texas 1407 1
Add A Word Drop A Word (Nov '12) Wed Tatlover 1,123
A New Place For Talent...Australia Wed Shoutline 1
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jan 23 Farts 771
Review: Cake 4 All Jan 19 Lolita 1

Carrollton News Video

Carrollton Dating
Find my Match