AT&T Premises Technician Pay?...
tommy cable guy

Hackensack, NJ

#6489 Feb 26, 2013
Bama08 wrote:
Congrats... I got my call a few weeks ago and the background took 2 weeks and start date of 3/8. I am waiting on a phone call to find out my starting pay.
how long after you took the test? I passed a week ago and still waiting
CableCowboy

North Hills, CA

#6490 Feb 26, 2013
Thanks D9 wrote:
Congrats to D9 bargaining for getting nothing significant for Prem Techs and making sure core does less work and will make more $$$$. Great work you guys did for almost a year, and that fed mediation really worked wonders.......
Thanks for giving Prem Techs more work and still getting paid much less than service techs (and we do a lot more work than they ever did) and all other techs in the related industry that do similar work.
Oh, but I get a free pair of boots annually! That makes it all worth it! I'm sure this pos contract will be ratified, core will make that happen.
Smart moves utilizing the power of your membership to get a favorable contract....
I guess next time, right guys????
But according to the contract, Premises Techs now get to climb poles though correct? Or at the least, pole climb training? Honestly I was really hoping for that, and for more variety of work other than inside wiring. It said that we would be servicing drops, does that mean we are installing/removing drops from pole, or is that still I/R only?

I also thought the "free boots" thing was lame. I'll stick with my own.
Torn

Dublin, CA

#6491 Feb 26, 2013
Yup. More work for pennies more. Gotta love it.
CableCowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
But according to the contract, Premises Techs now get to climb poles though correct? Or at the least, pole climb training? Honestly I was really hoping for that, and for more variety of work other than inside wiring. It said that we would be servicing drops, does that mean we are installing/removing drops from pole, or is that still I/R only?
I also thought the "free boots" thing was lame. I'll stick with my own.
CableCowboy

North Hills, CA

#6492 Feb 26, 2013
Torn wrote:
Yup. More work for pennies more. Gotta love it.
<quoted text>
That sucks about the pay, but honestly I'm glad it's not STRICTLY inside wiring...I'd like to get outside as much as possible, especially up on the pole
Torn

Dublin, CA

#6493 Feb 27, 2013
That's what she said!

A $1.78 raise over 3 years, equaling $24.08 hourly is BS for the mountain of "quality work" we Prem Techs are expected to perform daily. When you got service techs on the core side making $32 hourly (which'll go up 8%) just for pots/dsl. How is that fair?

I could care less about climbing. We're just running drops, not working on the old crappy/crusty cable that should've been rehabbed years ago.

We got screwed, our union sucks, and they admitted as much. The D9 VP Jim Weitkamp even said they're bargaining plan blew from day 1, and they need to re approach how they'll bargain in the future. And he tried to make the excuse saying the company enjoys "unfettered power"? HUH? What about the power of your membership!

And I love how the retroactive pay begins from October last year??? Funny, I thought the contract ended in April. Another low blow from the company.

Still making less than Comcast Techs. They hiring over there?
Lou Colmo

United States

#6494 Feb 27, 2013
So if I get hired on at ATT as a Prem Tech in D6 I would get a .60 raise added to my starting pay, Then pay almost $300 a month for health,vision,and dental in 2013 and have no job security or pension.

http://afl.salsalabs.com/o/4004/c/742/images/...
Milwaukee PT

Plymouth, WI

#6495 Feb 27, 2013
Lou Colmo wrote:
So if I get hired on at ATT as a Prem Tech in D6 I would get a .60 raise added to my starting pay, Then pay almost $300 a month for health,vision,and dental in 2013 and have no job security or pension.
Lou , I like you, you have educated yourself above the job offer, if I understand correctly you are currently employed with 7 years experience doing similar work no mention of your present situation so let's look at what you can expect with ATT.
1) in May pay at top train wage 702.50 per week (17.56/hr) after 9 weeks of paid training which for you would be paid vacation, work 50 hrs/wk would be about 970. By Thanksgiving you would have received your first of four six month pay raises the same 50 hours would be about 1025/wk
2) No vacation or health insurance for first six months so the 300 is saved (hopefully spouse has insurance or buy on open market (greater than 300/ month) or take risk and go without)
3) my experience says NO JOB has security in today environment not even your current position, today's younger workers will ave. Job changes every 5 to 7 years, not what older generation workers believed of 30 years with retirement, the new contract expects and forces that issue with no pension ever but a nice 401 with good company contributuons .
4) Prefence is given to older workers, you make two years should be safe from being displaced as surplused tech would replace newer start PT, but again after area is saturated with fewer installs how many techs would be needed to maintain customer base.
5) Contract is for four years and then everything is up for discussion again, a review of past contracts does not necessarily show improvement each time but then again churn rate says few PTs at start of this contract in May will be PTs in four years, some will, some will be advanced to other depts and some will not (recently had a tech in first month on his own, left customer job not complete, drove to garage turned in his keys and quit, do not know why, another with eight months quit to go back to school), this job is not for everyone but as you, Lou, have a job working in this field why do you want to work for ATT versus current employer.
Torn

Dublin, CA

#6496 Feb 27, 2013
Milwaukee PT wrote:
<quoted text>
Lou , I like you, you have educated yourself above the job offer, if I understand correctly you are currently employed with 7 years experience doing similar work no mention of your present situation so let's look at what you can expect with ATT.
1) in May pay at top train wage 702.50 per week (17.56/hr) after 9 weeks of paid training which for you would be paid vacation, work 50 hrs/wk would be about 970. By Thanksgiving you would have received your first of four six month pay raises the same 50 hours would be about 1025/wk
2) No vacation or health insurance for first six months so the 300 is saved (hopefully spouse has insurance or buy on open market (greater than 300/ month) or take risk and go without)
3) my experience says NO JOB has security in today environment not even your current position, today's younger workers will ave. Job changes every 5 to 7 years, not what older generation workers believed of 30 years with retirement, the new contract expects and forces that issue with no pension ever but a nice 401 with good company contributuons .
4) Prefence is given to older workers, you make two years should be safe from being displaced as surplused tech would replace newer start PT, but again after area is saturated with fewer installs how many techs would be needed to maintain customer base.
5) Contract is for four years and then everything is up for discussion again, a review of past contracts does not necessarily show improvement each time but then again churn rate says few PTs at start of this contract in May will be PTs in four years, some will, some will be advanced to other depts and some will not (recently had a tech in first month on his own, left customer job not complete, drove to garage turned in his keys and quit, do not know why, another with eight months quit to go back to school), this job is not for everyone but as you, Lou, have a job working in this field why do you want to work for ATT versus current employer.
You're right. Many current PTs won't be around come next contract and will have moved on, and not within the At&t, the company has made it so. All we have to look forward to is 1st line, and they're numbers game is even more lunatic. And probably will be managed by somebody that's never been a field tech, except maybe for a day or two opening nids, HA.
Torn

Dublin, CA

#6497 Feb 27, 2013
Lou Colmo wrote:
http://afl.salsalabs.com/o/4004/c/742/images/...
If you'd take a pay cut coming over then stay where you are!!!!! The experience you gain here is minimal at best with your current knowledge.

I referred to this forum many times before taking the job. All the bad stuff you read on here is spot on concerning the company.
Rancho

Huntington Beach, CA

#6498 Feb 27, 2013
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I got an email, that told me if i wanted to go test on march 6 to forward that email to att staffing. So i did forward it but they havent replied, did they reply to you?
Yea I got a confirmation email yesterday
new tech

Long Beach, CA

#6499 Feb 27, 2013
I just got hired as a prem tech. Can someone give me some advice on how to survive the numbers game, micro-managment and handling repairs the training didnt prepare me for? thanks
CableCowboy

North Hills, CA

#6500 Feb 27, 2013
Torn wrote:
That's what she said!
A $1.78 raise over 3 years, equaling $24.08 hourly is BS for the mountain of "quality work" we Prem Techs are expected to perform daily. When you got service techs on the core side making $32 hourly (which'll go up 8%) just for pots/dsl. How is that fair?
I could care less about climbing. We're just running drops, not working on the old crappy/crusty cable that should've been rehabbed years ago.
We got screwed, our union sucks, and they admitted as much. The D9 VP Jim Weitkamp even said they're bargaining plan blew from day 1, and they need to re approach how they'll bargain in the future. And he tried to make the excuse saying the company enjoys "unfettered power"? HUH? What about the power of your membership!
And I love how the retroactive pay begins from October last year??? Funny, I thought the contract ended in April. Another low blow from the company.
Still making less than Comcast Techs. They hiring over there?
Ah, I see what you're saying now. I guess since I am coming from a job where I had a retard for a boss and did some extremely unprofessional, shoddy work and I had no benefits, worker's comp or anything, not even stable work, this seems like a better opportunity. I did try Comcast among others, but no at the present moment they are not really hiring...Verizon is not either, they're content with keeping their current employees happy, and I was still waiting on Charter or Time Warner. Hopefully I won't be in the Prem Tech position for long, as I'm also waiting on a power lineman job opportunity as well, so while I'm a PT I'll try to make the best of it, and I'm not afraid to speak my mind if I'm being treated unfairly or held to unreasonable standards, and if that causes me to leave then so be it.
new tech wrote:
I just got hired as a prem tech. Can someone give me some advice on how to survive the numbers game, micro-managment and handling repairs the training didnt prepare me for? thanks
Lol are you one of the group that starts on the 8th out here? If so I'll be seein ya soon.
Milwaukee PT

Plymouth, WI

#6501 Feb 27, 2013
new tech wrote:
Welcome to the family, if time allows before you start training or while in training, recommend page 275 and forward on this forum at least look at page 285, in addition uverseusers.com has employee central and dslreports.com has attuverse section. If you have uverse yourself you have an advantage to start with knowing how the remote and channels work (product week), the more you know the more questions you can ask in class and on rides. Investing in your own education now is your best bet for the future, know the product, know issues customers experience and how to resolve those issues in a timly and efficient manner will ensure a brighter future, also know yourself and what you want from life and this experience (take some free online tests on personality traits such as what color is my parachute) best to you and yours and anybody else reading this.

Decatur, GA

#6502 Feb 27, 2013
Is there any way to pospone your training?
Lou Colmo

United States

#6503 Feb 27, 2013
Milwaukee PT wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Milwaukee PT,
The hardest part for me is the 6 month before benefits kick in,Mainly the health insurance. My wife is a laborer in Local 110 here in St.Louis but has been layed off for about 6 months. We had our insurance thru the union but it ran out Dec.31st due to lack of hours.Once she gets 275 hour a quarter again it will start back up.Right know im paying $395 a month just for her and I have no insurance.So the $300 amonth for the family plan is not so bad after all. As far as my work situation I work for a small company,4 tech's, My problem and the reason I was looking at ATT is the nepotism I have to deal with. The owner of the company hired his 23 year old son 4 months ago who quit a job as a structured cable installer because he didn't like his boss. We were told he was hired stictly as a sub-contractor but all of a sudden he got to take our company van home every night.(Don't know of any sub-contractors that get a company vehicle) Then my hours got cut to 25 per week and was told I had to train his son on Telcom (Wonder where this is going ?)Who now is working 40 hrs a week.My pay rate is $19.50 per hr but with my current hours it works out to be 36% pay cut, Can't live on that. Only benefit's are my 401k and 3 weeks of vacation. I'm actually looking forward to a change. Sorry for the long vent.
Lou Colmo

United States

#6504 Feb 27, 2013
I really have only a few concerns,
1) the weight limit, I'm down 10 lbs so far but still have atleast 10 to go.
2) If I do accept a job offer and quit my current job, go to training and not complete a pass/fail im screwed.
Milwaukee PT

Plymouth, WI

#6505 Feb 27, 2013
Lou, your position is not one of strength, I thought you were full-time with plenty of work, sorry. Have you considered part-time unemployment benefits in MO, a possible second job if you believe your work outlet will improve otherwise the short term does not look good. If you had no overtime with small company, you can definitely make more more annual income with ATT even with $2 initial pay cut, in two years be over $21 and with overtime be making $60k plus per year with two weeks paid vacation, 7 paid holidays and 5-7 personal days. Lou as long as your not afraid of heights, I have a hard time seeing how you would not be a valuable asset to the the company and would not worry about washing out in training or on the job, but remember this; for most workers this is a short term position to get sound economic footing, improve your resume and continue to look for advancement options probably with a different company. Best to you and yours and hope to see future posting on what happens.
hemipowered

Fairfield, CA

#6506 Feb 28, 2013
Look, yes this job iS probably not the best thing ever. But you could be like me, and have been working for crap contracting companies for over ten years, 5 of them skipping out on payroll and closing the doors without notice. Because of things like this I've been trying for years to get in with an established company that at the very least, I know won't be going out of business. I start my training next friday and while I'm not over excited, I'm happy that maybe for once I can go a full year working steadily. I've had much worse jobs than this doing DirecTV, dish network and Comcast, so everyone on here crying like a little baby, you should appreciate having a job. I'm sure this job is rough, but work while you look for another job elsewhere. My plan isn't to move up in the company because it sounds like that isn't a real life scenario for most. My plan is to go to work everyday, do my job correctly like I always have, go home and play with my son. This is better stability than I've ever had, I've been a temp for the last two years doing networking, audio video and everything under the sun, I'm a jack of all trades man. But I never know if I'm working tomorrow, and its real stressfull. So now I'm done with my rant, good luck to everyone out there doing this kind of work, we are a different breed and should be respected more, but alas, the world ain't perfect. If anyone is starting march 8th in nor cal, ill see you there. Again best of luck and sorry for the venting.
CableCowboy

North Hills, CA

#6507 Feb 28, 2013
hemipowered wrote:
Look, yes this job iS probably not the best thing ever. But you could be like me, and have been working for crap contracting companies for over ten years, 5 of them skipping out on payroll and closing the doors without notice. Because of things like this I've been trying for years to get in with an established company that at the very least, I know won't be going out of business. I start my training next friday and while I'm not over excited, I'm happy that maybe for once I can go a full year working steadily. I've had much worse jobs than this doing DirecTV, dish network and Comcast, so everyone on here crying like a little baby, you should appreciate having a job. I'm sure this job is rough, but work while you look for another job elsewhere. My plan isn't to move up in the company because it sounds like that isn't a real life scenario for most. My plan is to go to work everyday, do my job correctly like I always have, go home and play with my son. This is better stability than I've ever had, I've been a temp for the last two years doing networking, audio video and everything under the sun, I'm a jack of all trades man. But I never know if I'm working tomorrow, and its real stressfull. So now I'm done with my rant, good luck to everyone out there doing this kind of work, we are a different breed and should be respected more, but alas, the world ain't perfect. If anyone is starting march 8th in nor cal, ill see you there. Again best of luck and sorry for the venting.
You're from the Pacoima area and you're starting in Norcal? Or that's just your hometown? I'm in the same boat as you, but at any point if this job gets to be as bad as people are describing regarding management and all that, I'm out. I've had one too many jobs where I've put up with unneeded stress and relentless ass-chewings, so as far as I'm concerned this is just a resume booster.

Also, what do you Cali prem techs wear for work? They told us to show up first day in khakis and polos, but I'm not gonna go out and buy a crapload of that if we don't actually have to wear it on the job...
hemipowered

Stockton, CA

#6508 Feb 28, 2013
CableCowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You're from the Pacoima area and you're starting in Norcal? Or that's just your hometown? I'm in the same boat as you, but at any point if this job gets to be as bad as people are describing regarding management and all that, I'm out. I've had one too many jobs where I've put up with unneeded stress and relentless ass-chewings, so as far as I'm concerned this is just a resume booster.
Also, what do you Cali prem techs wear for work? They told us to show up first day in khakis and polos, but I'm not gonna go out and buy a crapload of that if we don't actually have to wear it on the job...
I agree with leaving if its to bad. I've dealt with a lot of terrible management, this isn't an end game career to me right now. Who knows that may change, ill just have to see. My guess is that most of these people just aren't used to the industry. It takes a lot out of you, I'm used to it unfortunately. it nay be the worst job I've ever had, but I'm sure contracting under ADT will still hold that title. Never again...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carrollton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) 11 hr guest 204
anybody know pitah garibay 13 hr jessica 1
Just saw Donald Trump wife poses naked kissing ... Tue hahaha 21
(.R ox y Bulk!!) ku*sh !! Tue Dallas reliable 1
Trump for President, He will win. watch Aug 22 olive oyl 1
andy griffith show is communist propaganda (Aug '07) Aug 21 Ronald Millsaps 94
Review: Alden Short Inc (Dec '10) Aug 20 One pissed lady 70

Carrollton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Carrollton Mortgages