First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sandy

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Sep 11, 2008
I heard that TWL closed their doors on over 200 employees on Tuesday afternoon with no pay and no explanation. Anyone heard anything about this?
Patrick

Dallas, TX

#2 Sep 13, 2008
True. They laid everyone off on 9/9 at 4:15pm except for about 25 left to cleanup. All operations have ceased. There were actually less than 100 left employed at the time of the layoff.
Sue V

United States

#3 Sep 16, 2008
How shocking! Does anyone have any more information?
Former employee X

Plano, TX

#4 Sep 18, 2008
The company was operating in the red for many years. They literally were dependent on outside investors to make bills and payroll each month. It seems they were no longer able to con people into throwing more money at the sink hole. Real shame they had a lot to offer but incredibly mismanaged.
Ken

Grand Rapids, MI

#5 Sep 18, 2008
Does anyone know the plans of this company? Another company buy them out? did they file bankruptcy? We've used them for training for years, great products. Been trying to contact them for a few days now but thought maybe it was due to Ike.
-Now Former- Employee

Euless, TX

#6 Sep 23, 2008
TWL did in fact lay-off all but 17 employees on Tues the 9th of Sept. Our investors had finally said enough is enough. We did receive pay for time worked, and the word at this moment is that the company is trying to avoid bankruptcy at all costs, the company is still running with 17 employees and looking for someone to purchase it. There is unfortunately no one any longer in our Customer Service department to answer any type of phone calls or emails.
There was actually about only 80 employees left at the end, as we had had 2 lay offs in the last year and a half.
I am hoping that the company will be bought by a company with better management skills, because the company had a good vision. And sadly I will miss my job greatly.
-Now Former- Employee

Euless, TX

#7 Sep 23, 2008
-Now Former- Employee wrote:
TWL did in fact lay-off all but 17 employees on Tues the 9th of Sept. Our investors had finally said enough is enough. We did receive pay for time worked, and the word at this moment is that the company is trying to avoid bankruptcy at all costs, the company is still running with 17 employees and looking for someone to purchase it. There is unfortunately no one any longer in our Customer Service department to answer any type of phone calls or emails.
There was actually about only 80 employees left at the end, as we had had 2 lay offs in the last year and a half.
I am hoping that the company will be bought by a company with better management skills, because the company had a good vision. And sadly I will miss my job greatly.
Oh yeah, anyone know of anyone hiring???:D
Vendor

Fort Worth, TX

#8 Sep 23, 2008
TWL owes our small company $4500.00 wonder what we can do????
-Now Former- Employee

Euless, TX

#9 Sep 23, 2008
Vendor wrote:
TWL owes our small company $4500.00 wonder what we can do????
The company owed a lot of people for several years now... hopefully for you the debt transferred if the company is bought, I am pretty sure will have more of a chance of getting paid then you would have if the company would have continued being run by the same people
Ken

Grand Rapids, MI

#10 Sep 23, 2008
Any ideas of how to contact someone there?! I've tried customer service and e-mailed a list full of people to try and get some tech support ?'s answered. SOOO frusterating. Wish there was a way to get a refund on our PrimeNET subscription now!
-Now Former- Employee wrote:
Another ex-employee

Sherman, TX

#11 Sep 24, 2008
Ken, Pat Quinn is still there.(supposedly CFO) He probably won't answer the phone as he is as corrupt as the other upper management folks that drove the company into the ground. My concerns are for the clients that all of us "little people" were supporting while management was telling us not to!
Ugly Place to Work

Seneca, SC

#12 Sep 24, 2008
The only reason the place lasted so long is due to unethical and in some cases illegal business practices. I managed several vendor relationships who never were paid in full. One vendor contact lost his job because of TWL's failure to pay. To give you a different perspective, the off-the-shelf training concept was never a good concept. Most training should never be delivered by anyone other than those working at colleges and universities. There is an inherent conflict of interest between the private and academic sectors. The private sector is driven by profit. And I believe in that. But education is a different animal. Didn't you ever wonder why the training category in general wasn't "blowing up" as they say? Few competitors and little market potential. That's why.
The upshot, in the case of TWL (PWPL, Primedia, whatever you want to call them), is that they didn't produce the content. The customers did. That's always been the dirty little secret. All TWL/PWPL ever was...simply put...was a company that manufactured mediocre, unimpressive instructional design templates. All the content was funneled through "good" clients who would receive free product in exchange for their services. I used to laugh when customers would visit us and talk about what a large subject matter expert team we must employ. Hahahahaha. Yeah.
Guys, the scam went on for too long. And all of those people who actually enjoyed that type of culture, symbolism over substance...and I sure am not one of them...will have a VERY difficult time finding a job not just in this economy, but any economy. Because most places actually require people to work when they're employed. Not at TWL. The work ethic...well...there wasn't any.
And as for the management?? It's like any company today. Who's in power? The Baby Boomer Generation. All those 44 to 62 year olds who are the product of a culture that lives for today and gives the finger to tomorrow. That's why TWL management never cared about the people they affected. The company credit cards that didn't get paid for months. The salaries that weren't paid, even when contracts were in writing. The vendor reltionships management asked employees to engage in knowing full well the new vendors were never going to be paid. The number of six-figure people hired to do nothing but sit in meetings. And if you don't think culture affects the way an organization is run, take a look at Cagan. Casual Friday was every day. A CEO wearing flipflops and a Hawaiian t-shirt on Tuesday. Sounds like someone who appreciates the responsibilities of managing an orgazization. Anyway, the problems are massive. It's a good thing the place is finally about gone. The serious issue we all face now is the possibility of a second economic depression.
And there is a parallel here. What happened at TWL since about 2000 (when it was PWPL) is a metaphor for the U.S. economy. You can never neglect the significance of culture and the people who comprise. And when enough people stop caring about the big picture, don't want to work hard, and don't respect the next guy...this is what you get. A super power country with a negative savings rate, a love for consuming products they can't pay for, an indifference toward the next guy, and a general complacency and disbelief that bad things can ever happen to them.
It's a real shame what has happened to our overall culture. But it's not surprising when you examine situations like TWL. These examples are easily extrapolated to the nation as a whole and provide plenty of insight as to why people buy things they can't pay for.
If any of this is going to change, Corporate America or society for that matter, the culture has to dramatically change.
Good luck.
Shawn

Irving, TX

#13 Sep 25, 2008
I was not at work on the day of the layoff and was surprised on Wednesday when I arrived and my badge would not work. I got ahold of my manager and he let me in to get my stuff and to inform me of what happened. According to him HR was supposed to contact everyone that had not been there on that day. As of 09-25-08 (16 days later) I still have not been officially informed of the company's closing. I have also sent emails to three different people (including Pat) asking for details of the layoff and still have not heard back from any of them.
Ken

Grand Rapids, MI

#14 Sep 25, 2008
Interesting... too bad, we enjoyed the training products TWL had to offer. Any ideas on when the PrimeNET site will be shut down or if there is any way to purchase videos from their inventory?
Mike

Woodstock, IL

#15 Oct 3, 2008
Our Police Department had just sent a couple thousand dollars for a new account to these thieves just days before they closed up. Now, of course, the cowards won't answer the phone or reply to e-mails. They should be prosecuted and jailed.
-Now Former- Employee

Euless, TX

#16 Oct 5, 2008
Ugly Place to Work wrote:
Because most places actually require people to work when they're employed. Not at TWL. The work ethic...well...there wasn't any.
I understand where you are coming from with some people in the company, but I worked my ass off for the two years I worked in the Customer Care department, I was there everyday from like 6:30 in the morning until after 5. And yes I did like my job, I like having the actually ability to help people with their issues, instead of running them in circles.
VDIB

Atlanta, GA

#17 Oct 10, 2008
Hello- I work for a very reputable learning management company and recently was contacted by a former TWL client who was very happy with TWL's products and front line services. He was not however given any information about the pending demise or problems and his employees found out when they went to access the system.

Selfishly and truthfully, I am concerned about their client base and what services they may be looking for. If anyone you know is looking for a reputable online learning product in healthcare please send them to www.Care2Learn.com and www.RedVector.com . We have been financially stabile for over 7 years. We own our over 2400 hours of content.

Thanks so much !!
Nomad1600

Venice, FL

#18 Oct 16, 2008
I was a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for TWL's Fire and Emergency Training Network; their PULSE: EMS segment. I'd been working with them from about maybe a year before they were purchased from Primedia to last month when this occured. I was actually just out in Dallas at their expense supporting content I had developed on the topic of Behavioral/Violent patients at the EMT level and was working on a new project about respiratory emergencies. I had just started the newest project when I received an email from the producer I worked regularly with that they had simply shut the doors leaving everyone hanging. I am one of the lucky ones; I was paid up in full by them for completed content. Many are currently owed their pay. The person I talked to explained that the management; mainly the CFO and CEO ran it into the ground with poor decisions. Typical. I worked with some very talented folks there and had a lot of respect for their abliities. It's a shame it happened this way, as I really enjoyed working with them. But it was a side/freelance gig for me since I am full-time in public safety Fire-Rescue biz I still have a paycheck. Those TWL employees have been left high and dry. They've been whittling down the staff for quite some time laying people off left and right for many months. They suspected something was up. The remaining employees were called into a meeting around 4:00 in the afternoon and then shown the door. I hope some other corporation reinvests and reinvents the company's products. But that doesn't look probable.
Shu735

Lawrenceville, GA

#19 Nov 4, 2008
Are the Satellite networks still on the air, and if not is there a demand for theses networks. I own a satellite uplink company that may be able to help all of those folks that have bought equipment to receive theses programs and now have nothing. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks!!
jschuster@crawford.com
Jobless in Dallas

Dallas, TX

#20 Nov 4, 2008
I am hearing that the company has been sold in it's entirety to somebody?
Has anyone heard anything about that?

I worked for this company for a total of five years and I am so disgusted by how they just left our customers hanging. I just could not believe it.

It is amazing what amateurs we were working for.

Surely somebody that has SOME management abilities could take a company that provides REQUIRED training that individuals can use to re certify could make this company work!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carrollton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 6 hr tkm 696
AT&T Premises Technician Pay?... (Oct '07) 9 hr Milwaukee PT 7,952
W.V. Grant, Jr (Nov '08) 9 hr jp alabama 56
Dallas Personal Injury Lawyer Amy Witherite Dis... 13 hr Gerald Vonberger 1
We Need to Secure Our Borders from Illness and ... 16 hr Culture Auditor 13
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 21 hr Gasman 543
Change A Letter Game (Nov '12) Wed 75 Scorpio 895

Carrollton News Video

Carrollton Dating
Find my Match