Carrollton Free Press Standard Letter...

Carrollton Free Press Standard Letters to the Editor | Larry Garner

There are 16 comments on the Carrollton Free Press Standard story from Oct 2, 2013, titled Carrollton Free Press Standard Letters to the Editor | Larry Garner. In it, Carrollton Free Press Standard reports that:

5, we will be asked again to approve a 5.3 mill levy for Carrollton schools. When we last voted this levy down, they claimed it would only cost the owner of a $100,000 home $160 per year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Carrollton Free Press Standard.

Concerned Parent

Kent, OH

#1 Oct 2, 2013
Sounds like someone who has that good old Carrollton attitude..."if it was good enough for me, it's good enough for my kids"

So sad! Obviously Mr Garner hasn't been in the schools lately and hasn't seen the plumbing issues in the bathrooms that cause water to leak all over the elementary gym floor... I can go on and on.
Or maybe he has and figures our children don't deserve a safe school to learn in??? I WILL be voting yes as I hope many others do. It's time for a change!
Just me

United States

#2 Oct 2, 2013
Yeah, those who don't want the community to succeed and just live in the past, won't vote for this levy. Those of us who are caring and want to see our kids have a upstanding education and nice facility to learn in, will vote yes. Crawl back in your hole and twiddle your thumbs, Mr. Garner.
ARES

Wilmington, OH

#3 Oct 2, 2013
Dr. Quattrochi has listed pay-to-play as one way to save money if the emergency operating levy does not pass. Dr. Quattrochi came from Edison and pay-to-play was instituted under his leadership. You're a fool if you do not believe that this will be one of the first moves taken to "tighten the belt".

For those of you who believe that our students do not deserve better, shame on you!

For those of your who want the levy to pass, spread the word and quit allowing people who are negative, angry, and miserable to control the conversation.

The students of CEVSD deserve better.
Historian

Galion, OH

#4 Oct 2, 2013
Very well stated, Mr. Garner.
Opinionated

Dover, OH

#5 Oct 2, 2013
Narrow minded is all I can say!
Not that it matters

Beach City, OH

#6 Oct 2, 2013
Comments on here are wasted. Remember, in his one term as commissioner, he admitted he can't email. So doubtful he can see this.
THE TRUTH

Dover, OH

#7 Oct 2, 2013
Carrollton Community we need to end this narrow minded approach to education. Our children deserve better. Think of every school near our community...Malvern, Sandy Valley, Minerva, Southern Local. They are all getting or have newer schools. We are simply trying to operate the old buildings we are still in. The list of repairs is countless. I saw it was posted earlier about the elementary, but the middle school has the same issues. Half of the building doesn't even have running water or sewer. There is only one operating boy's bathroom in the main building. WE NEED TO SUPPORT OUR COMMUNITY, OUR CHILD, OUR FUTURE.

As for Mr. Garner I ask you when was the last time you supported anything in our school? At that when was the last time you were inside those hallways? The day you graduated in 1958 (same building now)? I imagine you have no idea of it's condition and I doubt that you care, but as a local business owner it would be nice if you supported the community that you live and work in. I understand that money must be though for you though. According to your website you own 157 acres, so if you signed a $2500 per acre lease that is $392,500 plus royalties. I won't make that much working for 10 years, but I will be voting yes next month because I care about my community.
Archie Bunker

United States

#8 Oct 3, 2013
All these people bashing on Larry need to write the letter to the paper and voice their opinion.

I do agree with only 1 thing "The Truth" said. The auditors office should be out there re-evaluating CAUV land that now have energy proceeds coming off it. It is funny that someone from the auditors office also wrote an opinion piece this week. They really could help the school out if they would do some investigated work here.

But here lately we have seen how our elected officials get taken to the wood shed when it comes to handling public money.
Common Sense

United States

#9 Oct 3, 2013
Larry Garner has only ever cared about one thing, Larry Garner. His kids are long since graduated and he is determined to ensure that the children of our community are subjected to the same dilapitated buildings Paige used, only 25 years later.

It is sad that someone who considers himself a community leader would take such a stance toward making the community better.
For the Kids

Saint Clairsville, OH

#10 Oct 4, 2013
I believe you when you say the school will receive more money through taxes. My question is how much? Is it going to cover the needs of the school? Do you really think the school would be asking for this much money if they did not need it? What good is a band aid if it does not cover the entire wound? The schools have tighten their belt, as tight as it can go, while keeping the students and their families best interest in mind and not putting the students at a disadvantage. I suggest you do more research on the school and the measures they have already taken because you certainly are not educated on that topic
warrior4life89

Ashburn, VA

#11 Oct 4, 2013
Enough already,suck it up and pass it for a new school! SV is half the size with half the money and they did it! And yes, they were hit with quite a large tax increase. This is getting to be ridiculous. No running water, no heat, no air conditioning, no working restrooms? I guess it's going to take you folks listening to a story told by your kindergartner of what this girl did to the boy out in the parking lot during the football game because she has to walk the same halls and eat in the same cafeteria as the seniors. You all have all this money now, do something GOOD with it, something for the children
Zach DeNardi

Chicago, IL

#12 Oct 6, 2013
I can't believe that with how much money is starting to be pumped into Carrollton, that funding a public school is a debate.
a choice

New Philadelphia, OH

#13 Oct 6, 2013
Property taxes help pay the school bills, not personal income. All this shale gas and oil boom will not fit into the equation for years. That's why the levy is only 5 years. The school has cut all it can. Without the additional funds to operate more cuts will have to be made. You can't cut the electric bill, the water bill, fuel bill for the buses, the heating bill, salaries, or benefits. What's left is sports programs, staff, teachers, outlying school buildings, after school activities, torturing, and in return hirer fees for books and other items.
I for one don't think the levy will pass, most people don't care, it doesn't have an impact on them. They have no kids in school to be concerned. Sounds like their self-centered.
bob

New Philadelphia, OH

#14 Oct 9, 2013
Remember the next time you se a Garner auction sign who supports our community
Honestly

Delaware, OH

#15 Oct 15, 2013
I'm flabbergasted as I'm reading this. Mr. Garner, you have been one of the most selfish, underhanded, egotistical, 'good old boy system' human beings in this town. You didn't mind to fatten your own pockets with OTHER PEOPLES money, but Heaven forbid our KIDS get a better education with a little of your tax dollars. Your MANY dollars you've received without so much as leaving the local coffee shop or watering hole. You should be ashamed of yourself. I pray that this community sees you for what you are, and regardless of your idiotic rambling, they vote YES to these childrens education and NO to simple minded, greedy people like you.
o be careful

Hermitage, PA

#16 Oct 15, 2013
To "A Choice"...cutting out the torturing would be a good first step..lol..just messing with ya! I'm thinking you meant tutoring???(I HOPE you meant tutoring.....and HIGHER fees...)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carrollton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
zoek een sletje die mijn kutje wilt likken Jun 16 sxy_bubble 1
News Carrollton Free Press Standard News | Malvern i... Jun 7 Stupidy 10
News Carrollton Free Press Standard Letters to the E... Jun 5 Notorious 4
News Carrollton native Kevin Pontuti will showcase a... May '15 Archie Bunker 1
News Carrollton Free Press Standard News | Council s... Apr '15 puff puff pass 2
News Carrollton Free Press Standard News | Chamber c... Apr '15 Latitude 26 1
News Carrollton Free Press Standard Letters to the E... Apr '15 GLong 1
More from around the web

Carrollton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Carrollton Mortgages