Carrollton Free Press Standard Letter...

Carrollton Free Press Standard Letters to the Editor | Mark W. Walters

There are 17 comments on the Carrollton Free Press Standard story from Feb 20, 2013, titled Carrollton Free Press Standard Letters to the Editor | Mark W. Walters. In it, Carrollton Free Press Standard reports that:

It is always a pleasure to see all those familiar faces and, we also miss all those who have passed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Carrollton Free Press Standard.

Question

Louisville, OH

#1 Feb 21, 2013
So based on what you have said, the scouts is for boys 11-18. What if that boy is gay? Being gay doesn't make him not a boy. Being gay doesn't make him not like the outdoors and being gay doesn't make him not want to help make our community a stronger, better place for all of us. If you think gay people can't help make our world a better place, then you sir clearly have no idea what being gay even means.
Trulyfairandbala nced

East Liberty, OH

#2 Feb 21, 2013
I'm sure when you look in the mirror you see yourself as a scout master, as a role model, a pillar of the community. All I see is a bigot who's attitudes contribute to the suicide rates among gay youth. There are probably gay kids in our local troops already. What kind of message are you sending them?
Not impressed

Louisville, OH

#3 Feb 21, 2013
I almost feel sorry for you, probably more sorry for your family though. You clearly don't know anyone who is gay or you would not have written this letter.
Get a Clue

David, KY

#4 Feb 22, 2013
Why do the rights of the few outweigh the rights of the many? I absolutely agree with Mr. Walters and hope that he remains as our scoutmaster for years to come. I am glad that we have someone not afraid to speak the truth as a leader in our community. From the few comments above, it is obvious we need people like Mark! He is not against gays, neither am I. We just believe that organizations should be able to set guidelines and to be a part, you must follow. Don't want to follow? Fine. Then don't join. Again, why should a few make the majority confirm t them?

Since: Feb 13

East Liberty, OH

#5 Feb 22, 2013
Get a Clue wrote:
Why do the rights of the few outweigh the rights of the many? I absolutely agree with Mr. Walters and hope that he remains as our scoutmaster for years to come. I am glad that we have someone not afraid to speak the truth as a leader in our community. From the few comments above, it is obvious we need people like Mark! He is not against gays, neither am I. We just believe that organizations should be able to set guidelines and to be a part, you must follow. Don't want to follow? Fine. Then don't join. Again, why should a few make the majority confirm t them?
And just what part of the guidelines don't gay youngsters follow?
Get a Clue

David, KY

#6 Feb 22, 2013
The ones that say if you are gay, you are not permitted to join. If you can't follow the rules, don't join.
stan

Malvern, OH

#7 Feb 23, 2013
the boy scouts should have every right to allow or not allow into their group. it seems when certain groups try to push for "rights" of a certain click that they are infringing rights of others. would the girl scouts be ok with having a male as their troop master? i dont think so. is that gender discrimination? i believe when it comes to our children there should be certain precautions we take. i would not want my kids being watched on an over night camp by a troop leader that has the potential to find the attractive sexualy. because if and when something bad happens we would be pointing fingers and wanting to blame the scouts for allowing such a thing to happen.
Still amazed

Louisville, OH

#8 Feb 23, 2013
Being gay doesn't mean you like children, how stupid can people still be about what it means to be gay. Being a pedophile means you like children, you know people like priests and scout masters that are continually getting busted for what you are so worried about. I am not gay but I know quite a few gay people, I even trust my children with them every day and a couple of the best teachers my children have every had have been gay. Turn on the news sometime and listen to the stories of straight coaches, teachers, religious leaders, and community leaders that get busted for messing with children. Sick people mess with kids, being gay is not an illness, not a mental disorder, and has nothing to do with touching children.
Jared

Crestline, OH

#9 Feb 23, 2013
Still amazed wrote:
Being gay doesn't mean you like children, how stupid can people still be about what it means to be gay. Being a pedophile means you like children, you know people like priests and scout masters that are continually getting busted for what you are so worried about. I am not gay but I know quite a few gay people, I even trust my children with them every day and a couple of the best teachers my children have every had have been gay. Turn on the news sometime and listen to the stories of straight coaches, teachers, religious leaders, and community leaders that get busted for messing with children. Sick people mess with kids, being gay is not an illness, not a mental disorder, and has nothing to do with touching children.
So start your own group that allows gays. Don't cry when an organization has rules you don't like, just don't support them. Do your own thing and let them do theirs.
Lol

Louisville, OH

#10 Feb 23, 2013
If this didn't involve something as serious as they way we are treating other human beings in every community in this country, it would almost be funny how stupid, ignorant, afraid, and hateful people are willing to openly admit they are. Some of you should get out your old "whites only" signs, ropes, and hoods. If you think there is a difference please show us all how stupid you are.
Amy Risaliti

Columbus, OH

#11 Feb 24, 2013
Mission: The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Scout Law.

Scout Oath: On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.

Scout Law: A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly , courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

This is the oath & law that Mark writes about staying strong & pure to.

Although the world accepts homosexuality, doesn't make it right with God. Scouts doing their duty to God means obeying Him.

I stand behind Mark 100%.

Since: Feb 13

East Liberty, OH

#12 Feb 24, 2013
Amy Risaliti wrote:
Mission: The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Scout Law.
Scout Oath: On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.
Scout Law: A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly , courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.
This is the oath & law that Mark writes about staying strong & pure to.
Although the world accepts homosexuality, doesn't make it right with God. Scouts doing their duty to God means obeying Him.
I stand behind Mark 100%.
And what makes you think a gay youth couldn't or wouldn't uphold that oath any differently than a straight kid?
Lol

Louisville, OH

#13 Feb 24, 2013
The problem here is these people are willing to attribute the things they think are ok to god, but they are not willing to admit that our gay youth were made this way. They want to think that an 11 year old that knows in every ounce of their being that hey are different, is somehow morally corrupt. They don't understand that with 7 billion people on the planet and thousands and thousands of years of human history that sometimes the human cells split in different ways, creating people whom are different, not bad or corrupt. It is easy to see when a child is born without an arm or leg because of dividing cells, but when a child has things twisted on the inside some people can"t understand this. Someday people will be able to get over their own personal fears about things that they can"t see, but in the current culture of "my team is best" they will not accept that some people pray differently then them, some people look differently from them, and some people are different on the inside than them.
Get a Clue

David, KY

#14 Feb 24, 2013
I have no problem with people who are different. I just don't understand why, if they admit to being different, they can't admit that their beliefs don't match the scouting rules.

If they want so badly to be a scout, then follow their rules. If they can't or won't, then join a different group.

Why does the institution need to change to meet the demands of the few?
Get a better clue

Louisville, OH

#15 Feb 24, 2013
Being gay is not a belief pattern, it is who they are. There may be a few people out there that will act gay, just as some people act like other things they are not. However, it would not have been correct to tell black people that their beliefs did not fit those of your restaurant. Point is, young gay people can absolutely be everything that any other child can be to the scouts. Get over your fears people, how can you not look at another person and see they are everything your son or daughter ever was. We as parents do not get to choose the way are children are going to be born but we can choose how we treat other people's sons and daughters.
I AM AR 15

Dover, OH

#16 Feb 24, 2013
If I start a club and set certain rules, and someone doesn't want to follow the rules, then they may freely go start a club of their own and change the rules. Don't demand me to cater to you. My club is for people with my beliefs, yours can be with people of your beliefs. This is so simple. Being homosexual has nothing to do with the principle.
Get a Clue

David, KY

#17 Feb 24, 2013
Get a better clue wrote:
Being gay is not a belief pattern, it is who they are. There may be a few people out there that will act gay, just as some people act like other things they are not. However, it would not have been correct to tell black people that their beliefs did not fit those of your restaurant. Point is, young gay people can absolutely be everything that any other child can be to the scouts. Get over your fears people, how can you not look at another person and see they are everything your son or daughter ever was. We as parents do not get to choose the way are children are going to be born but we can choose how we treat other people's sons and daughters.
I have no fears. I absolutely agree that gays can be everything that any person has ever been and more. What I don't believe is that the rules should be changed for them. I treat everyone the same. Not only should gays not be able to join, neither should atheists or girls. Why? Because the Boy Scouts get to make the rules and the members have to follow them. It really is that simple. Great screen name. You truly need to get a better clue!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carrollton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
will robinson (Jul '12) Jan 7 A James Manchin 2
News Charges filed against Carroll County Veterans Club (Dec '12) Oct '16 Mark Miller 16
Vote for Donald J Trump Oct '16 MAGA 1
News Young boy hospitalized following lawn mower acc... Sep '16 Kittycoe5 1
News Ask Mary Beth - Where to buy reclaimed wood (Jul '08) Sep '16 EAST TROJAN 18
News Carrollton Free Press Standard Letters to the E... (Oct '12) Jul '16 Randy Miller 10
Debate: Gay Marriage - Carrollton, OH (Aug '10) Apr '16 Jay Mayle 3

Carrollton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Carrollton Mortgages