what does everyone think about north ...
nas nobody

United States

#62 Nov 2, 2010
we "choose" to stay there because we have families that have to eat. i didnt walk in with blinders on i knew the dangers and except them that said i dont have to like it. the air has got alot worse since i started and i would like to see that improve
nas nobody

United States

#63 Nov 2, 2010
and my comment about contractors being people was directed at current nas employee who said only 2 were killed and they were contractors not nasholes
ideal

United States

#64 Nov 2, 2010
Current NAS employee wrote:
Do you people even know who the President of NAS is? Has everyone forgotten how bad the economy has been and NAS laid off not one employee as a result? I am not a manager or a line leader. I have been at NAS over 11 years and have been passed over for several promotions. But I still know I have a great job and a great employer. I believe the correct fact is 2 people have been killed at NAS; both in direct violation of safety rules; and both were contractors. Although uninformed regarding the melt shop, I agree the melt shop probably needs air quality improvements. I don't agree a union is the answer. In my opinion, a union equates to more politicians just trying to get their hands in a cookie jar.
I wish all NAS employees were like you!
ideal

United States

#65 Nov 2, 2010
eddie dean wrote:
The place sucks ass!!!! Anyone tells you different are lying. I work there and all I give shit about the job is the 15th and 30th.
ITs sorry dipshits like you that make the place bad.
Yowser

Louisville, KY

#66 Nov 2, 2010
ideal wrote:
<quoted text>
ITs sorry dipshits like you that make the place bad.
Agree with you on this 100%.
concernedwife

United States

#67 Nov 3, 2010
well I am glad to see others share my concern. I feel that the longer a company is in operation the beter the company should become. NAS is great to the community, but they benefit from tax right-offs there. When they no longer do anything to show their employees they are apprechiated, it is a sad situation. Employees begin to feel they are not apprechiated and it reflects in their dedication to the company. Not only would the employees benefit, NAS would, too. I know my husband comes home caughing and blowing black stuff from his nose every time he works. Just because it is not a quick death does not mean it is not resulting in death. Air quality is a huge issue. Why are our loved ones expendable to NAS. My husband by no means is a company man, but there have been several times NAS had to keep going and he and others stayed to pull 16 plus hour shifts. He is on board to do what it takes for the company...when is the going to be returned? I can say NAS has provided a great living for my husband and I and I do work as well. But there has to be a point that the administrative side of NAS shows some compassion and appreciation for what it's employees do. Not all employees go above and beyond, but I know of several that do.
Gallatin

Winfield, IL

#68 Nov 3, 2010
All i can say if you dont like him working there, make him quit. If people dont like the job quit. They have dust masks so he doesn't come home with much black shit in his nose. Stop bitching about the job. There plenty of people would take your jobs and be happy. Go try to make it at walmart or somewhere else.
cant breathe

United States

#69 Nov 4, 2010
The dust issues have gotten a lot worse in the past few months. Yes we do wear respirators and dust mask. they still don't stop all the dust from getting in your lungs. yes we have the option to find other employment and yes we are applyig for it.
concernedwife

United States

#70 Nov 4, 2010
the response to quit and find other employment seems a little irresponsible to me. We have bills to pay and have unfortunately like many that work at NAS, Gallatin, or DOW adjusted our spending to that income. Why is it bitching when I am asking the company to take some responsability for their air quality. That should be done on a corporate level. If not then we might as well let every factory release whatever chemicals into the air they feel and say "if you dont like it dont breathe". Part of the problem with many things today is responsabilities have been passed on or swept under the rug with the mighty dollar in hand. And unless you are in the situation you may not understand it all. Could you wear a respirator or mask in 150 degree temperatures without passing out and falling into a ladel of melted steel? Chances of someone getting hurt increase greatly. If you dont want to hear someones personal opinions about something then perhaps topix is not the site for you. Gallatin,ignorance is an abundant thing.....you prove that. You must not work in the same conditions as he does, if so you of all people should apprechiate my comments. Or is it that Gallatin takes better initiative to provided a cleaner working condition? Perhaps you have nothing to complain about with your employer because they take care of you.
Gallatin

Chicago, IL

#71 Nov 4, 2010
I work in the melt shop where it is dirty and dusty and hotter than hell in the summer. Im saying stop bitching about the job. Its always gonna be nasty in the MS no matter where u go. In this day in age be glad u have jobs, because people would kill to work there or gallatin steel.
Gallatin

Chicago, IL

#72 Nov 4, 2010
People tell me evry day that nas is a whole lot cleaner than gallatin steel, so it sounds like you have minor dust compared to gallatin steel.
Current NAS employee

Bowling Green, KY

#73 Nov 5, 2010
concernedwife wrote:
well I am glad to see others share my concern. I feel that the longer a company is in operation the beter the company should become. NAS is great to the community, but they benefit from tax right-offs there. When they no longer do anything to show their employees they are apprechiated, it is a sad situation. Employees begin to feel they are not apprechiated and it reflects in their dedication to the company. Not only would the employees benefit, NAS would, too. I know my husband comes home caughing and blowing black stuff from his nose every time he works. Just because it is not a quick death does not mean it is not resulting in death. Air quality is a huge issue. Why are our loved ones expendable to NAS. My husband by no means is a company man, but there have been several times NAS had to keep going and he and others stayed to pull 16 plus hour shifts. He is on board to do what it takes for the company...when is the going to be returned? I can say NAS has provided a great living for my husband and I and I do work as well. But there has to be a point that the administrative side of NAS shows some compassion and appreciation for what it's employees do. Not all employees go above and beyond, but I know of several that do.
Actually, NAS doesn't allow shifts past 12 hours. I have been in round table meetings, which are held often, where the VP specifically defined NAS allows employees no more than 12 hour shifts. An employee was complaining that contractors were getting more OT than NAS employees because contractors were allowed to work over 12 hours. If you or your husband feel that expressing your opinions on topix is the place to be heard by the people that can make changes, you are mistaken. have your husband volunteer to attend and participate in the round table, where his voice can be heard. Write a letter to the editor in the paper.
Current NAS employee

Bowling Green, KY

#74 Nov 5, 2010
As far as NAS not caring about their employees, the Santa visits will cost NAS over $10,000 this year. They hosts Christmas parties every year, even last year when other companies did not due to the economy. I am sure they do get tax write offs for helping the community. NAS continued to help the community when it was losing millions monthly; and still not laying off. I don't think the tax credits even come close to the millions that were lost each month.
NAS has a department specifically designed for the environment. They comply with the EPA and OSHA requirements. They measure air quality and water return.
I think people that complain about an employer like NAS have really never worked for a crap company.
It is unfortunate that someone works in an environment that they are unable to use the safety equipment provided to them. It is provided for a reason. If you choose to not wear it, then yes, you will get sick or hurt. Good luck to you and yours. I hope illness does not find your family.
Shepherd

Scottsburg, IN

#76 Jan 24, 2011
Current Nas employee you are wrong. I have worked there for 10 years, in the melt shop. Not sure where or how long you've been there, current NAS employee, but I've worked over 12 hours hundreds of times, worked over 16 probably 20-30 times and over 20 3 times. The worst thing about NAS is the pay. Feel like I sold my soul to the devil for money. It's a horrible, unsafe place, that treats the operators like shit. Wear dustmasks daily and still come home after every shift with black snot and hockers. Yes, I'm happy to have a job but the only reason I still work there is the lack of available decent jobs/recession. Why don't you do some research and find out who invented swinging twelve hour shifts and why and then tell me how great a place NAS is
Shepherd

Scottsburg, IN

#77 Jan 24, 2011
also, your osha/epa reference: I do and we do as a whole in the melt shop, things totally different when osha or the epa is there testing. The melt shop runs nothing like it normally does when they are there. Can provide specifics if you really want but just take my word to save some serious boredom for everyone else
the reason

Madison, IN

#78 Feb 28, 2012
Current NAS employee wrote:
As far as NAS not caring about their employees, the Santa visits will cost NAS over $10,000 this year. They hosts Christmas parties every year, even last year when other companies did not due to the economy. I am sure they do get tax write offs for helping the community. NAS continued to help the community when it was losing millions monthly; and still not laying off. I don't think the tax credits even come close to the millions that were lost each month.
NAS has a department specifically designed for the environment. They comply with the EPA and OSHA requirements. They measure air quality and water return.
I think people that complain about an employer like NAS have really never worked for a crap company.
<SNIP for space>
The reason they continue to produce without layoff is because of having steel at the ready regardless of the economy. that steel is the first out the door when it turns and many times the metals have increased in value by sitting. the reason for no layoff's is not because they love you as an employee. The contracting temps are the lay off buffer that protects the company employees. I had over 15 years at NAS and am confident in what I say and anyone that claims to know different is mistaken and ill advised.

Yes, my office the crystal tower of the admin building and I was on a fat salary and shared in the production and personal incentives.

What concerned wife says should be taken as gospel as I suspect she works at NAS, that of she has an uncanny insight and comprehension skills to what verbiage is brought out of the plant. I feel for you. Keep an eye on the situation and if your hubby works in the melt shop yes, it's horrendous, at least it was all the time I had duties to attend to out there. So bad I have pictures of when the air was a florescent yellow, orange and red. Actually looked like what I imagine hell would look like. Very dangerous. And those little burn marks in the clothes? Yea, someone did the 'dance'. Make sure he always wears all PPE he is given when out there.

As far as NAS complying with all EPA and OSHA regulations, that is laughable. Ever work with the lab techs of years past and those that worked the air monitoring station or pulled the water samples? I'll never ever forget one overheard conversation about a top environmental employee stating to a lab tech that she 'knows' where the numbers needed to be when it cam to re-sampling something the results were unacceptable and could not be turned in.
There are several epa sites that do report on the NAS environment and you can get your googleing cap on and find all sorts of information about the heavy metals on and off site.

I could list many times employees were wronged and in reality it all boiled down to one thing IMO, Spanish leadership and management. They have their way of doing things. All imported from their previous environment and set of acceptable standards from Spain. that is not to say it did not get somewhat better over the years as the Spaniards learned the ways of the US. But there was a hell of a lot of ground to cover by the time I left their company.
A comment about unions. I absolutely despise unions because I believe they are actually harmful to the nation, drive jobs overseas and drive up costs. With all the federal and state laws mandating how the workplace and employers are to behave, their tame is all but past and they are not needed.

That said, if there EVER was a case for one to come in and represent the workforce to management, NAS is a model case. The dumbest thing I ever saw was the IEBW try and take control. Why not the steel workers union? If a steel workers union would have made the attempt in a reasonable manor, they would have succeeded IMO.

Oh, on the 16 hour shift comments? that is still going on today for a fact! Not a designated shift officially condoned by management but goes on plenty. The eyes are wide shut.
the reason

Madison, IN

#79 Feb 28, 2012
Current NAS employee wrote:
As far as NAS not caring about their employees, the Santa visits will cost NAS over $10,000 this year. They hosts Christmas parties every year, even last year when other companies did not due to the economy. I am sure they do get tax write offs for helping the community. NAS continued to help the community when it was losing millions monthly; and still not laying off. I don't think the tax credits even come close to the millions that were lost each month.
NAS has a department specifically designed for the environment. They comply with the EPA and OSHA requirements. They measure air quality and water return.
<SNIP for space>
The reason they continue to produce without layoff is because of having steel at the ready regardless of the economy. that steel is the first out the door when it turns and many times the metals have increased in value by sitting. the reason for no layoff's is not because they love you as an employee. The contracting temps are the lay off buffer that protects the company employees. I had over 15 years at NAS and am confident in what I say and anyone that claims to know different is mistaken and ill advised.

Yes, my office the crystal tower of the admin building and I was on a fat salary and shared in the production and personal incentives.

What concerned wife says should be taken as gospel as I suspect she works at NAS, that of she has an uncanny insight and comprehension skills to what verbiage is brought out of the plant. I feel for you. Keep an eye on the situation and if your hubby works in the melt shop yes, it's horrendous, at least it was all the time I had duties to attend to out there. So bad I have pictures of when the air was a florescent yellow, orange and red. Actually looked like what I imagine hell would look like. Very dangerous. And those little burn marks in the clothes? Yea, someone did the 'dance'. Make sure he always wears all PPE he is given when out there.

As far as NAS complying with all EPA and OSHA regulations, that is laughable. Ever work with the lab techs of years past and those that worked the air monitoring station or pulled the water samples? I'll never ever forget one overheard conversation about a top environmental employee stating to a lab tech that she 'knows' where the numbers needed to be when it cam to re-sampling something the results were unacceptable and could not be turned in.
There are several epa sites that do report on the NAS environment and you can get your googleing cap on and find all sorts of information about the heavy metals on and off site.

I could list many times employees were wronged and in reality it all boiled down to one thing IMO, Spanish leadership and management. They have their way of doing things. All imported from their previous environment and set of acceptable standards from Spain. that is not to say it did not get somewhat better over the years as the Spaniards learned the ways of the US. But there was a hell of a lot of ground to cover by the time I left their company.
A comment about unions. I absolutely despise unions because I believe they are actually harmful to the nation, drive jobs overseas and drive up costs. With all the federal and state laws mandating how the workplace and employers are to behave, their tame is all but past and they are not needed.

That said, if there EVER was a case for one to come in and represent the workforce to management, NAS is a model case. The dumbest thing I ever saw was the IEBW try and take control. Why not the steel workers union? If a steel workers union would have made the attempt in a reasonable manor, they would have succeeded IMO.

Oh, on the 16 hour shift comments? that is still going on today for a fact! Not a designated shift officially condoned by management but goes on plenty. The eyes are wide shut.
the reason

Madison, IN

#80 Feb 28, 2012
The reason they continue to produce without layoff is because of having steel at the ready regardless of the economy. That steel is the first out the door when it turns and many times the metals have increased in value by sitting. The reason for no layoff's is not because they love you as an employee, it's for the bottom line. The contracting temps are the lay off buffer that protects the company employees. I had over 15 years at NAS and am confident in what I say and anyone that claims to know different is mistaken and ill advised.

Yes, my office the crystal tower of the admin building and I was on a fat salary and shared in the production and personal incentives.

What concerned wife says should be taken as gospel as I suspect she works at NAS, that of she has an uncanny insight and comprehension skills to what verbiage is brought out of the plant. I feel for you. Keep an eye on the situation and if your hubby works in the melt shop yes, it's horrendous, at least it was all the time I had duties to attend to out there. So bad I have pictures of when the air was a florescent yellow, orange and red. Actually looked like what I imagine hell would look like. Very dangerous. And those little burn marks in the clothes? Yea, someone did the 'dance'. Make sure he always wears all PPE he is given when out there.

As far as NAS complying with all EPA and OSHA regulations, that is laughable. Ever work with the lab techs of years past and those that worked the air monitoring station or pulled the water samples? I'll never ever forget one overheard conversation about a top environmental employee stating to a lab tech that she 'knows' where the numbers needed to be when it cam to re-sampling something the results were unacceptable and could not be turned in.

There are several epa sites that do report on the NAS environment and you can get your googleing cap on and find all sorts of information about the heavy metals on and off site.

I could list many times employees were wronged and in reality it all boiled down to one thing IMO, Spanish leadership and management. They have their way of doing things. All imported from their previous environment and set of acceptable standards from Spain. that is not to say it did not get somewhat better over the years as the Spaniards learned the ways of the US. But there was a hell of a lot of ground to cover by the time I left their company.

A comment about unions. I absolutely despise unions because I believe they are actually harmful to the nation, drive jobs overseas and drive up costs. With all the federal and state laws mandating how the workplace and employers are to behave, their tame is all but past and they are not needed.

That said, if there EVER was a case for one to come in and represent the workforce to management, NAS is a model case. The dumbest thing I ever saw was the IEBW try and take control. Why not the steel workers union? If a steel workers union would have made the attempt in a reasonable manor, they would have succeeded IMO.

Oh, on the 16 hour shift comments? that is still going on today for a fact! Not a designated shift officially condoned by management but goes on plenty. The eyes are wide shut.
the reason

Madison, IN

#81 Feb 28, 2012
Well now, sorry about the double post.
been there

Franklin, IN

#82 Feb 28, 2012
Dude, that was a TIPPLE PLAY! LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carrollton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jessica@Walmart 16 min What 47
where was u 44 min food for thoughts 2
Heaven Craig "DRAKE" or whatever name she goes by 1 hr chris 19
Texas holdem 1 hr poker player 6
dope dealers, thieves 19 hr yep 23
potatoes Mon Heywood 5
Looking for guy named Lucas that drives white C... Mon Sweet Thang 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Carrollton Mortgages