57 arrests - Rolling Thunder targets ...

57 arrests - Rolling Thunder targets drunk drivers in Douglas County

There are 285 comments on the Douglas County Sentinel story from Mar 20, 2010, titled 57 arrests - Rolling Thunder targets drunk drivers in Douglas County. In it, Douglas County Sentinel reports that:

'Rolling Thunder' will operate in Douglas County for the next three months, looking for impaired drivers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Douglas County Sentinel.

econisme

Carrollton, GA

#268 Jun 9, 2010
Wow! Awesome job! Fugitives, drugs, child safety, and so many other violations. It may not be the popular opinion in this blog, but I have to Thank them for making the roads just a little safer.
It's disturbing to see that many child safety seat violations. How can you risk the life and safety of your child???
G Money

Peachtree City, GA

#269 Jun 9, 2010
Kind of obvious from the list what was REALLY being targeted. It was all the easy money and career building kina stuff. So obvious but they still get a pat on the back.
econisme

Carrollton, GA

#270 Jun 9, 2010
G Money wrote:
Kind of obvious from the list what was REALLY being targeted. It was all the easy money and career building kina stuff. So obvious but they still get a pat on the back.
What are you saying was REALLY being targeted? Safety? With Seat belt and child safety seat violations totaling 120, looks like that was big. Or Misc. violations @ 182?
LOL

Bremen, GA

#271 Jun 10, 2010
G Money wrote:
Go steal something Rufus as you live off of my tax dollars.
WD4ALL

Owens Cross Roads, AL

#272 Jun 15, 2010
Whatever happened to simple Police Jurisdictions? Before, if you leave your jurisdiction of patrol you also left your authority with it. Is this just one step closer to a Police State?
Neirbo

Carrollton, GA

#273 Jun 16, 2010
I just read an article about a 16yr old boy that was hit and killed by a driver that was under the influence, had no licience, and fled the scene. I immediately thought about those of you who were complaining about how the big bad police pick on poor innocent drunks and law breakers! I wish there were enough police officers to put one on every street and get more SCUM like this out of their cars and in to the jail!!!
Bill

Carrollton, GA

#274 Jun 16, 2010
Neirbo wrote:
I immediately thought about those of you who were complaining about how the big bad police pick on poor innocent drunks and law breakers!
No one said that. Yet again you failed to get the point. Just stop posting.
Neirbo

Carrollton, GA

#275 Jun 16, 2010
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
No one said that. Yet again you failed to get the point. Just stop posting.
Interesting. You're telling me to stop posting because I dont agree with your views? That's rich.
And yes, I get the point. Most of the posts on here have been talking about money. Like the police are trying to get rich off the backs of the people they are ticketing. As though breaking the law is not a good enough reason to get a ticket, pay a fine, or go to jail. One post went as far as to say that if the police set up a roadblock looking for DUI, they should let everyone else go!
MY point is instead of belly aching about the money it costs to rid the streets of this scum, maybe you should realize how justified the cost is, compared to the lives saved.
Everything in the world is not about the "ALMIGHTY DOLLAR"!!!!
In closing, I will not tell you to quit posting, as you have as much right to voice your opinion as anyone else with a computer and access to this site have. Hopefully now, YOU get MY point.

“Bipartisanship at last!”

Since: Aug 08

bout time!

#276 Jul 13, 2010
Neirbo wrote:
I'm curious about those who are so critical of the police who write tickets for traffic or other violations. Are you saying they should not do it? Should these laws not exist? Or would it be better to be on the honor system? Just put a jar and a menu of violations and fines at each corner and if you're speeding or driving drunk, or whatever...put your money in the jar. That way all the police would be available to hunt down all the other criminals. How's that work for ya?
And as for saying it's all about the money...it costs money to operate the departments. They are going to get it one way or another. Would you prefer they just increase your taxes? Personally, I say let the people who break the law pay. I really dont worry about it since I DO abide by the law. It's been my experience that those who complain the loudest about road blocks and traffic tickets, are the same ones who get caught.
Your'e right in a sense but roadblocks are unamerican in my opinion.

“Bipartisanship at last!”

Since: Aug 08

bout time!

#277 Jul 13, 2010
Neirbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. You're telling me to stop posting because I dont agree with your views? That's rich.
And yes, I get the point. Most of the posts on here have been talking about money. Like the police are trying to get rich off the backs of the people they are ticketing. As though breaking the law is not a good enough reason to get a ticket, pay a fine, or go to jail. One post went as far as to say that if the police set up a roadblock looking for DUI, they should let everyone else go!
MY point is instead of belly aching about the money it costs to rid the streets of this scum, maybe you should realize how justified the cost is, compared to the lives saved.
Everything in the world is not about the "ALMIGHTY DOLLAR"!!!!
In closing, I will not tell you to quit posting, as you have as much right to voice your opinion as anyone else with a computer and access to this site have. Hopefully now, YOU get MY point.
Thats what Bill does. He's the voice of God. His God, but God never the less.
LOL

Bremen, GA

#278 Jul 18, 2010
Lewholt wrote:
<quoted text> Thats what Bill does. He's the voice of God. His God, but God never the less.
Lew you realize that criminals have certain rights but those rights do not include the right to remain undetected? Road checks are perfectly legal and have been upheld by the courts. You seem to have the same type of attitude that the current administration has. They don't like our country and want to change. We live in the greatest country in the world. Enjoy.
HEAT UNiTs

Douglasville, GA

#279 Jul 19, 2010
spitfire2 wrote:
"It includes officers from Douglas, Carroll, Bibb, Paulding, Walton, Clayton and Glynn counties"? Glynn County is way down around Brunswick. Clayton? I guess these officers are looking for any reason to get away from the problems in their own county. Wonder what all this costs?
All of the Officers, including Douglas County, are part of the Governer's Highway of Safety H.E.A.T Units. Rolling Thunder is for Georgia HEAT Units to conduct their roadblocks in different counties and it is funded by the Govenor's Office. H= Highway E= Enforcement A= Aggressive T= Traffic
WTF ARE YOU STUPID

Douglasville, GA

#280 Jul 19, 2010
MSO4 wrote:
<quoted text>Kinda like that BS war on drugs. We keep getting more LE and new tech, but somehow drugs, and drug use continues to climb. But some losers cannot see for the blinders they have on, that it is only about the dollar bill.
BS War on Drugs?? What do you think they should do? Just give up and not even try to get some (some is better than none) of the street? And you keep talking about money like the Police get paid per ticket/arrest... they don't even have quotas! Every bad decision has consequences, it is no ones fault but there own.
Charles Farley

Peachtree City, GA

#281 Jul 19, 2010
WTF ARE YOU STUPID wrote:
<quoted text>
BS War on Drugs?? What do you think they should do? Just give up and not even try to get some (some is better than none) of the street? And you keep talking about money like the Police get paid per ticket/arrest... they don't even have quotas! Every bad decision has consequences, it is no ones fault but there own.
Should we consider the war on drugs to be a success? By what measure? It seems more like the laws have destroyed more lives than the drugs have. While I don't want to see heroin in convenience stores, I think addiction is better handled by doctors than prison guards. CF
Your Kidding Right

Douglasville, GA

#282 Jul 20, 2010
So basically we don't need cops? I mean, what does writing a speed ticket do because people are not going to stop speeding just like they'll never beat the war on drugs so why bother with it? Why put murders in jail.. I'm sure 95% of them could be helped with a doctor, child molesters could use doctors too. So hell, legalize drugs, might as well... hell, our kids will be making Meth at school instead of actually learning..

Any amount taken off the street is a step forward. Anyone can be helped with Doctors. Drugs will never stop, speeders will never stop, so we won't pull them over? Basicaly we can shut the police doors and lock it... we don't need cops...

Really? Cops aren't the bad guys, people have forgotten that the past few days
Honk2

Carrollton, GA

#283 Jul 20, 2010
WTF ARE YOU STUPID wrote:
<quoted text>
BS War on Drugs?? What do you think they should do?
Well it's well documented and accepted that it is a giant failure. Countless thousands of lives lost along with countless millions of dollars down the drain. For what? Drugs are more prevalent than ever. Marijuana, something completely harmless that our culture has branded a "drug", has perhaps the biggest body count,$$$ loss, and number of people behind bars because of it. Again, for what? I can go to the gas station 24/7 and buy enough alcohol to drink myself into a coma. Why is it legal? I can go to any store that sells medicine and buy a few bottles of Robitussin, more than enough to send me on a psychedelic trip. Why is it legal?

Like some mentioned earlier, these stops weren't about getting hardcore criminals and drugs off the streets. They were about handing out as many broken taillight and expired license tickets as possible.$$$$$$$$$
Who is at fault

Douglasville, GA

#284 Jul 20, 2010
It isn't the Police's fault that it's a giant failure, especially when they are out trying to find drugs and get them off the street. It isn't anyones but fault but that persons! I I didn't make the laws. But, why write tickets for traffic violations (speeding, running red light, etc) because obviously people will always drive to fast and run red lights and such so it's a losing war also, should they give up on that too? As you said, for what? We basically don't even need cops..?? Because all they do is --- shoot innocent people and harrass people over drugs... right?

Since: Jun 07

D'ville, GA

#285 Jul 20, 2010
HEAT UNiTs wrote:
<quoted text>
All of the Officers, including Douglas County, are part of the Governer's Highway of Safety H.E.A.T Units. Rolling Thunder is for Georgia HEAT Units to conduct their roadblocks in different counties and it is funded by the Govenor's Office. H= Highway E= Enforcement A= Aggressive T= Traffic
I went to their website and their stated goals are to 1) reduce impaired driving crashes by 10% and to 2) enforce laws targeting agressive driving around Georgia. Don't we already pay State Patrol Officers to this same thing? Isn't it more cost effective to utilize existing resources, along with local officers, instead of shipping personel all over the state?(They need to spend a dollar to update their website too, it seems to be stuck in 2008).

Since: Jun 07

D'ville, GA

#286 Jul 20, 2010
Hummm, a special squad with black cars patroling at the Governors request setting up road blocks stopping everyone asking where they've been and to see their identification....Hitler had one of these.

“Home In Georgia Now”

Since: Jul 07

The "City of Gold" in Georgia

#287 Jul 20, 2010
spitfire2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I went to their website and their stated goals are to 1) reduce impaired driving crashes by 10% and to 2) enforce laws targeting agressive driving around Georgia. Don't we already pay State Patrol Officers to this same thing? Isn't it more cost effective to utilize existing resources, along with local officers, instead of shipping personel all over the state?(They need to spend a dollar to update their website too, it seems to be stuck in 2008).
The only problem is that the GSP is understaffed and has been for years. Couple that with them having to spend a majority of their time working traffic collisions due to folks who drive with their heads up their ass most of the time causing the collisions. Add in the counties that DO NOT work traffic collisions and the GSP is doing a great job with what they have.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carrollton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 18 min dixie 82,959
Have you?? Tue Whatisthis 4
News Newt Gingrich's first wife, Jackie, dies (Aug '13) Jul 25 Lawrence Wolf 54
Parking Lot Jul 24 Bremen Redneck 1
News Bremen man indicted for $7M in fraud (May '09) Jul 22 Betty 262
News Newly released court documents cast doubt on Gi... (Dec '11) Jul 22 Eddie Munster 30
Bremen Walmart (Apr '14) Jul 21 DumBum666 47

Carrollton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Carrollton Mortgages