57 arrests - Rolling Thunder targets drunk drivers in Douglas County

Mar 20, 2010 Full story: Douglas County Sentinel 285

'Rolling Thunder' will operate in Douglas County for the next three months, looking for impaired drivers.

Full Story
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Since: Mar 10

Douglasville, GA

#1 Mar 21, 2010
I appreciate the effort to get drunk drivers off streets but that name is gay. The image that comes to mind is a bunch of cops going down the street blasting Garth Brooks on the radio... "the thunder rolls"...LOL
Sandra Barber Rabern

United States

#2 Mar 21, 2010
to-Rad Red,who cares what they call themselfs,if they are successfull at getting some of these drunks off the roads,then they can call themselfs whatever they want to.All this past year there has been one incident after another of someone being hit by, or in most cases killed by a drunk driver.Now is the time to stop this insanity,and get tough with these individuals who choose to get behind the wheel of a car while drinking or drunk.They can drink themselfs silly if they choose to.But please do not allow them to drive in that condition,Just get them off the roads,we should not be put in danger on these roads.Good for you Douglas county. am so proud yall are making some kind of effort to bring safety home.

Douglasville, GA

#3 Mar 21, 2010
To Sandra: Read the first part of my post. I APPRECIATE THE EFFORT TO GET DRUNK DRIVERS OFF STREETS. I was joking about the name. It was funny. Ha ha. Don't take yourself and everyone else so seriously.
Sandra Barber Rabern

United States

#4 Mar 21, 2010
To Rad Red,I was also joking about the title they have given themselfs,I was not meaning to be mean about it to you.I also appreciate the effort they will be making.I hope some lives will be saved through this new program.I have personally delt with drunks in the past in my homelife. I am perhalps more passionate than some people are about drunk driving.If they drink,then they should stay off the roads.I was not trying to be hatefull to you.It was just about the subject.Im sorry if I was rude to you.
WhatIsGoingOnHer e

Mableton, GA

#5 Mar 21, 2010
My Dad was almost killed by a drunk driver when I was 5. His story made the front page of the sentinel on Thanksgiving that year as to what he was thankful for. He was thankful to be alive. He still has that newspaper article put up in his house. I can not imagine how different my life, my moms life, my brothers life and my kids lives would be today had he not made it. I applaud the countys efforts to crack down on anyone out there who is driving drunk, because 9 times out of 10 when they crash they kill an innocent person while they walk away from the wreck.
Sandra Barber Rabern

United States

#6 Mar 21, 2010
To-WhatsGoingOnHere,That sure was a close call your family had that Thanksgiving.A lot to be thankfull for.I am flad your situation turned our good,you are exactly right.many people are killed by accidents involving people who are drunk.Lets just hope this new program helps get some drunks off these roads.

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

#7 Mar 21, 2010
I just looked at that article and I counted at least 31 LE cars in a motorcade. Now was that formation just for a photo-op? And if it was just how much in salary and gas did the taxpayer shell out just for a damn picture.
WhatIsGoingOnHer e

Mableton, GA

#8 Mar 21, 2010
It was a very close call for my family. I was young and do not remember it too well anymore. I do remember seeing my Dad in the hospital hooked up to a ventilator. I was told that day by my Grandmother that I may never see him again. I also remember the sentinel coming out during our Thanksgiving dinner and taking the pictures. In High school I was part of SADD and as an adult I am part of MADD. I have gone out to bars and had some drinks, but I have always had a DD. Most recently I had my 18 yr old pick me up and her boyfriend drove my car home. I do not drink often, but I always have a back up plan for those rare occasions that I do.
Waldo

Dallas, TX

#9 Mar 22, 2010
On any Friday night local cops can arrest 50 people. Nothing special here. It's done all the time.

Since: Jun 07

D'ville, GA

#10 Mar 23, 2010
"It includes officers from Douglas, Carroll, Bibb, Paulding, Walton, Clayton and Glynn counties"? Glynn County is way down around Brunswick. Clayton? I guess these officers are looking for any reason to get away from the problems in their own county. Wonder what all this costs?

Boca Raton, FL

#11 Mar 23, 2010
They should do the same for "Text Drivers". All studies have shown that texting while driving is even more dangerous than driving under the influence, as your eyes are literally not on the road (as opposed to your reflections being slower).
Sandra Barber Rabern

United States

#12 Mar 23, 2010
Your exactly about texting while driving.There is no way anyone can concentrate on driving while texting.Also they need a hands free system to talk on the phone.While at Fort Mc. working,my husband got a ticket and had to pay a fine,because an p.m.saw him driving while holdng a cell phone.Maybe someday the laws will effect driving on our roads,Right now there is a serious problem right here in Douglasville,Ga.I believe this is why the accident rate has gone up around here, see some of this while traveling,there just seems to be more of it going on around here.
Wow

Bremen, GA

#13 Mar 23, 2010
MSO4 wrote:
I just looked at that article and I counted at least 31 LE cars in a motorcade. Now was that formation just for a photo-op? And if it was just how much in salary and gas did the taxpayer shell out just for a damn picture.
You really have nothing better to do?

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

#14 Mar 23, 2010
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
You really have nothing better to do?
Obviously it got your attention slick!

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

#15 Mar 23, 2010
spitfire2 wrote:
"It includes officers from Douglas, Carroll, Bibb, Paulding, Walton, Clayton and Glynn counties"? Glynn County is way down around Brunswick. Clayton? I guess these officers are looking for any reason to get away from the problems in their own county. Wonder what all this costs?
Exactly. Of course as long as these losers in government have an endless supply of taxpayer money, things like this BS will continue.
WTF OVER

Atlanta, GA

#16 Mar 23, 2010
MSO4 wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly. Of course as long as these losers in government have an endless supply of taxpayer money, things like this BS will continue.
Like the new assault vehicle. Did it come from drug funds or the Grants that HS has been handing out. If it was HS. Guess what? It came out of the taxpayers pocket. Does anyone know for sure how it was acquired? Curious.

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

#17 Mar 23, 2010
WTF OVER wrote:
<quoted text>Like the new assault vehicle. Did it come from drug funds or the Grants that HS has been handing out. If it was HS. Guess what? It came out of the taxpayers pocket. Does anyone know for sure how it was acquired? Curious.
Please to not get me going on the BS known as "To Protect and Serve".
Wow

Bremen, GA

#18 Mar 24, 2010
MSO4 wrote:
<quoted text>Obviously it got your attention slick!
Ignorance ususally does.

Douglasville, GA

#19 Mar 24, 2010
Thanks, Sandra. And I agree with you about texting. I have been guilty of it myself, but I usually reserve it for a red light. If it's going to be a lengthy text I just pull over in a parking lot. Yesterday I was behind a woman who appeared to be texting and she kept crossing the yellow line on a curvy rd and she ran off the side of the rd on some gravel once and had to swerve back over. I was scared and wouldn't get too close to her. Crazy! And as far a drunk drivers go... I love to drink. I either do it at home or have a DD. I have scared myself before driving when I shouldn't have been. I would feel so guilty if I was responsible for someone elses innocent life. I usually hate pigs for handing out stupid tickets and for sometimes wasting taxpayer's money, but this is actually a worthy cause. Well, that's my $0.02 :)
NoMatterWhatYouD o

Douglasville, GA

#20 Mar 24, 2010
Who in their right mind cares about how much this operation cost (it's funded by grants from G.O.H.S, Governor's Office of Highway Safety)
They took 37 drivers that were under the influence of drugs or alcohol off of the roads...that's 37 people that could have killed you or someone you care about. What's that worth to you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carrollton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
mill town sing off contest. 2 hr bludevilbandman 1
State level Republicans vs. Democrats 4 hr WebberX 1
Trader to carry blue devil baseball??? 4 hr got2be crazy 28
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 5 hr Bill in Dville 58,134
To the kid at bremen who drives a white lifted ... 7 hr BHS Alum 5
No Use Calling Bremen Police 14 hr got2be crazy 18
Hannah Hutchins Sun hairy back 32

Carrollton News Video

Carrollton Dating
Find my Match

Carrollton Jobs

Carrollton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Carrollton News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Carrollton

Personal Finance