No soup for you

Carrollton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2012

There is nothing at all compassionate about drug testing welfare recipients.
In fact, this is an incredibly bigoted thing to do and designed to keep the lower classes disenfranchised while the local politicians take the real loot.

First of all, they are assuming that being poor inherently makes you a drug addict.
(stereotyping)
second, they are planning to violate the privacy of people simply because they're getting welfare.
(violation of privacy rights)
Third, putting people on the street or in jail because they have drug addictions is
the opposite of compassionate.

And for everyone who's on here trivializing the cause of ending prohibition:

go look at the death toll in Mexico because of this ideological war on drugs
and then see if you can still sleep at night.

30,000-40,000 died just this year.. up 11 percent from last year
and don't think that this isn't happening at home either.

Every time a young person is stabbed/shot after being called a rat, every time a young person kills themselves after being forced into prison, every time somebody dies doing tainted drugs, etc
it's because we're too ignorant to even take 5 minutes out of our days to research what's actually going on instead of just catering to our fears.

Also, it's just been found in a study that 90+% of drug users are either mentally ill or have experienced sexual/physical abuse in the past.
This means that 90+% of drug addicts are self-medicating their pain.

I don't know how anyone can still support this disgusting, bigoted law in the 21st century.
It's need to end.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/drug-testing-welf...

The amount your govt spends on the small percentage of welfare recipients who use drugs (to quote the above article) pales in comparison to what it spends on CORPORATE welfare and waging wars:

Duh

Carrollton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2012

Judged:

If the fine, outstanding citizens that subscribe to said welfare didn't rape the system....if the employees at said welfare office didn't help certain people rape the system...if the law abiding citizens spent as much time looking for work instead of working the systems...none of these ridiculous laws would be needed.
non-profit

Ranburne, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

No soup for you wrote:
There is nothing at all compassionate about drug testing welfare recipients.
In fact, this is an incredibly bigoted thing to do and designed to keep the lower classes disenfranchised while the local politicians take the real loot.

First of all, they are assuming that being poor inherently makes you a drug addict.
(stereotyping)
second, they are planning to violate the privacy of people simply because they're getting welfare.
(violation of privacy rights)
Third, putting people on the street or in jail because they have drug addictions is
the opposite of compassionate.

And for everyone who's on here trivializing the cause of ending prohibition:

go look at the death toll in Mexico because of this ideological war on drugs
and then see if you can still sleep at night.

30,000-40,000 died just this year.. up 11 percent from last year
and don't think that this isn't happening at home either.

Every time a young person is stabbed/shot after being called a rat, every time a young person kills themselves after being forced into prison, every time somebody dies doing tainted drugs, etc
it's because we're too ignorant to even take 5 minutes out of our days to research what's actually going on instead of just catering to our fears.

Also, it's just been found in a study that 90+% of drug users are either mentally ill or have experienced sexual/physical abuse in the past.
This means that 90+% of drug addicts are self-medicating their pain.

I don't know how anyone can still support this disgusting, bigoted law in the 21st century.
It's need to end.

The amount your govt spends on the small percentage of welfare recipients who use drugs (to quote the above article) pales in comparison to what it spends on CORPORATE welfare and waging wars:

My suggestion to all welfare is do away with it. Let me decide who I spend my money on. Let liberal compassionate people such as yourself form non profit organizations to support these poor mentally ill people who were poked in the butt and now find the need to smoke crack and not work. As for me let me help the ones who I feel even though they are down and out are attempting to work and just need back on their feet. Then the gov and the rich could not steal and drain our tax dollars as you say they do.
no soup for you

Carrollton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2012

Non profit, you are applying conventional wisdom and using a circular argument by asserting that all those on welfare are cracked out and abusing the system. Certainly there is truth that dependency/apathy/abusive will occur, but the costs at this level remain far less than at the corporate level, i.e. banks and other such bail outs.

Further since people cannot be relied on to be as"charitable" as yourself, certainly measures should be taken to help the less fortunate and ensure basic civility within a soceity.

Lets get some facts straight-all with credible sources. Surely even you can do the math;)

Fact:Spending for corporate welfare programs outweighs spending for low-income programs by more than three to one:$167 billion to $51.7 billion (source: Aid for Dependent Corporations, from the Corporate Welfare Project and How Much Do We Spend on Welfare?, from the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, FY 95 figures)

Fact: Total federal spending on a safety net for the poor costs the average taxpayer about $400 a year, while spending on corporate welfare programs costs the same taxpayer about $1400 a year.(source: CBO figures).

Fact: Over 90% of the budget cuts passed by the last Congress cut spending for the poor -- programs that ensure food for the needy, housing for the homeless, job training for the unemployed, community health care for the sick.(source: Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, Bearing Most of the Burden, 1996).

Fact: Only 3.9% of total federal outlays go to programs that solely benefit poor people.

Welfare programs for corporations do not play by the same rules as welfare for people. Welfare benefits for individuals and families are limited by strict eligibility requirements and time limits, while corporations get corporate welfare benefits regardless of wealth or accountability.

Fact: Individuals and families must demonstrate need to receive benefits, while corporations with billions of dollars in annual income remain on the federal dole.

Fact: Most social spending is in the form of discretionary spending, which is scrutinized in the annual budget negotiating process in Congress; most corporate welfare programs are in the form of tax expenditures, which go on and on since they are not subject to annual review by Congress.
non-profit

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2012

I am not disagreeing with you on the issue that our gov spends billions on corporations. This thread was on drug screens for gov handouts and that I agree with. I don't have a problem with making sure the CEO of corporations are not snorting cocaine before they get handouts, anymore than I have a problem with making sure pooky is not smoking weed or crack before he gets his handouts. I just think if you are having someone else assist you rich or poor you need to be held accountable for where your money goes. Just don't turn this thread into a drug test oppressing the poor black deadbeats.......
Ted

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

Judged:

I've been around those on welfare most of my life (I was on it for about 2 years, haven't been on it it for about 10). I can say definitively that there is a LOT of gaming going on.

It's nothing at all for me to see people popping babies and laugh when they say they have more money coming. That pretty much disgusts me. And the trade of welfare money for cash is really bad.

But in the spirit of this thread, the amount of people on welfare in the areas I have lived in that either dabble in drugs or are hardcore into drugs is disturbing. And it seems you just can't help them, they are enabled by the fact that another check is coming regularly (along with other assistance) and they will use part or all of their check somehow to get the drugs.

It's really sad. The American tax payer should not be on the hook to provide the funding for their bad habit. Drug testing should most definitely be enforced, and not just for the person who's name is the recipient. At the very least any adult living in that home should be tested because they all benefit from the welfare check and other government assistance.
wake up

Bremen, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2012

Judged:

We have to have drug tests to gain & keep employment in most fields. I don't see how any sane person would not see the fairness in drug testing welfare recipients.
well

Rome, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2012

Judged:

where my husband works they random search cars and trucks and they can pat the employee down before and after work..plus they random drug screen..and even before you can get a tempt job you have to be drug screened...if i have an accident on the job i have to be drug screened...the high school ball players are drug tested why not welfare recipients they get check just like working folks do and they don't even work working man's money pay them money if working man has to be tested then welfare man needs to test tooo fair is fair

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Carrollton Discussions

Search the Carrollton Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 4 min rename 49,466
Bremen Express Baseball 16 hr ex coach 6
Beelzebubba in Ft Bragg Jul 21 Roll Tide 22
Robbie Robinson & Anita Buffington (Jul '12) Jul 20 Lynne 10
Brandon Reeves Jul 20 Wow 1
Kiker ONeal Drug arrest Jul 18 News Article 2
the carrollton menu sucks Jul 17 Petsound 3
•••
•••

Carrollton News Video

•••
Carrollton Dating

more search filters