Please help protect our community fro...
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Get off my lawn”

Since: Jul 10

Bremen, GA

#41 May 17, 2013
John, I'm in with you. Whatever you need or whatever direction you want to go, let's do it. We've had to turn on the AC this week because my husband can't handle the little extra something HL has brought to Bremen...
Bump

Bremen, GA

#42 May 18, 2013
If everything works out then they'll move that stinky plant and the hundreds of jobs with it!

Can I get an Amen!?!?

“Get off my lawn”

Bremen, GA

#43 May 18, 2013
It's not about making the plant move. It's about them complying with regulations and not releasing toluene into the atmosphere.

Fixing the issue would be a lot cheaper than them paying fines when they're caught.
Neighborhood Air Breather

Villa Rica, GA

#44 May 18, 2013
I would be ecstatic if the plant doubled or tripled in size and employment. What I don't like is that they choose quality, production and cost savings over the health and happiness of their neighbors.

If I went over to their air intake vents and dumped a couple hundred pounds of sewage that they had to breath during their day shift, they would have me arrested. If I did it quite frequently, they would be even madder.

They do the same thing to me two to three nights per week by dumping toluene on my neighborhood which is then piped directly into my house through my air conditioner system in the summer and heater in the winter. Unfortunately for me, this is state permitted as being OK for them to do. The problem is their lower elevation location causes air inversions when weather conditions are right. The inversion traps their toluene emissions near the ground which is then blown westward toward Bremen - including Stonebridge Academy.

What can they do about their lower elevation?- Nothing now except they can raise their emission point through an elevated stack and then all the problems will be gone. What is the problem with an elevated stack?- It doesn't add to quality, production or cost efficiency. They will not act until they feel the risk outweighs the cost benefit of doing nothing.

Google air emission inversion and you will see exactly what their (and our) problem is. We just want them to be good neighbors and do the right thing which seems very hard for them to do.

Carrollton, GA

#45 May 18, 2013
I am so glad that others are speaking up! I wish I could get the documents posted on here that I have. I don't know why toluene isn't even listed as one of the chemicals tested for. I totally believe the answer is a stack that is high enough to keep the fumes out of our lungs. I was told the fumes aren't harmful, but if that's the case why are they pumping it out of their building? Lets not drop the ball! I will continue to be a squeaky wheel. I have had zero luck with any kind of media coverage. I think that would make a difference. I'm thinking about passing out flyers at the golf course and Walmart to help gather support from the community too. Again, we do have some local government support, so contact them to be added to the petition they are preparing.
Just the Facts Jack

Macon, GA

#46 May 20, 2013
Honda Lock has an Environmental Compliance Inspector certified with the State of Georgia and must report emmissions exhaust to the state. They have a permit to do just what they are doing. The state inspects them on a bi-annual basis and you can find any penalty's or fines on the Georgia EPD website.

So we are back to one solution. The mayor can send a letter to the plant manager of HL, and ask for a solution to the smell for the good community relations HL strives for and will do anything to keep in the good graces of the City of Bremen. They can add a chemical mixture that will make the exhaust orderless. Painting processes requires these chemicals and the exhaust to complete their mission.

Since: Dec 11

Government Camp, OR

#47 May 20, 2013
I smell the odor at times when playing golf at the Lion. I live in the city limits of Bremen about 2 miles from the plant. I have never smelled that odor at home.

“Get off my lawn”

Bremen, GA

#48 May 20, 2013
I live in the city limits of Bremen and smell it most days. It probably depends on which way the wind is blowing and whether you're up or downhill.
Bump

Bremen, GA

#49 May 21, 2013
When is the last time the smell was noticed? I live just a few miles from it and have never smelled it. And a few moths back they started a different paint product that works at a higher temperature and fusion process which uses less process plant energy ad produces less waste. I am there on a weekly basis and certain parts of the exterior of the plant you can smell the plant paint waste water (which is filtered) when you're about 20 feet from it. Unfortunately the smell onsite is the strongest during full production which is a good sign of growth. They are operating at full capacity and if they pick up another couple of contracts they will be forced to expand. Which means another hundred job opportunities for Bremen.

Buford, GA

#50 May 21, 2013
Bump wrote:
When is the last time the smell was noticed? I live just a few miles from it and have never smelled it. And a few moths back they started a different paint product that works at a higher temperature and fusion process which uses less process plant energy ad produces less waste. I am there on a weekly basis and certain parts of the exterior of the plant you can smell the plant paint waste water (which is filtered) when you're about 20 feet from it. Unfortunately the smell onsite is the strongest during full production which is a good sign of growth. They are operating at full capacity and if they pick up another couple of contracts they will be forced to expand. Which means another hundred job opportunities for Bremen.

I smell it at least 3-4 days a week and I live in the city limits. It is incredibly strong some days and other days it is just a faint odor. I am glad for the jobs it provides for the community. However I have a responsibility as a parent to ensure my children's well being. When fumes that cause nausea, headaches, and are not completely known to me fill our home there is a problem.

“Home In Georgia Now”

Since: Jul 07

The "City of Gold" in Georgia

#51 Jun 3, 2013
I have not forgotten about this. I am waiting for some documents I filed request for under the open records act. As I have said and I say it again, I do not want jobs lost. However I want this obnoxious odor gone. Honda Lock is not being a "good neighbor" by allowing this to happen. The same attitude about jobs was likely taken by many throughout this country where there are sites costing millions to clean up due to improper disposal of toxic chemicals. I still say there is enforcement action that can be taken under city and/or county ordinance, if it exists, dealing with running a business etc that generates odors that affect the public. As far as having a "certified compliance" person employed, my main issue is they "self report". Sort of like allowing the fox to watch the hen house.

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

#52 Jun 3, 2013
John In North Carolina wrote:
I have not forgotten about this. I am waiting for some documents I filed request for under the open records act. As I have said and I say it again, I do not want jobs lost. However I want this obnoxious odor gone. Honda Lock is not being a "good neighbor" by allowing this to happen. The same attitude about jobs was likely taken by many throughout this country where there are sites costing millions to clean up due to improper disposal of toxic chemicals. I still say there is enforcement action that can be taken under city and/or county ordinance, if it exists, dealing with running a business etc that generates odors that affect the public. As far as having a "certified compliance" person employed, my main issue is they "self report". Sort of like allowing the fox to watch the hen house.
But does the EPA "spot check" for compliance?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carrollton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 20 min not surprised 113,444
Swinging moms Mon Dev on 10
Train observation deck Nov 19 Leonardo 52
Is there black panthers in Haralson County? (Sep '10) Nov 16 Skip orbit 35
News Newly released court documents cast doubt on Gi... (Dec '11) Nov 14 Alreds Revenge 43
Bremen's New Government Nov 8 Jeff D 1
Bremen football Nov 1 Ha 8

Carrollton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Carrollton Mortgages