First Prev
of 4
Next Last
whatnews

South Pittsburg, TN

#1 Dec 3, 2012
Went through Bremen few nights ago and saw next to nothing heralding the Christmas season. Are they waiting for Santa or just lack of interest. Even the strange lights on the trees across from the Sewell building were not on. Come on I need to see some flash and sparkle.

“Home In Georgia Now”

Since: Jul 07

The "City of Gold" in Georgia

#2 Dec 3, 2012
Heflin, Alabama has some great Christmas decorations to look at.
this Friday

Bremen, GA

#4 Dec 3, 2012
The lighting of the tree doesn't happen until this Friday when Santa comes to town. I believe it's been tradition for it to be the first Friday of December.

“Get off my lawn”

Since: Jul 10

Bremen, GA

#5 Dec 3, 2012
MS, I haven't heard anyone get their panties in a wad about saying Christmas decorations instead of Holiday or whatever. I personally don't care what anyone wants to call it, when someone wishes me a Happy Holiday or Merry Christmas I say "Thank you, same to you!"

Jeez louise, find another hobby horse. The War on Christmas is all in your mind.
The Grinch

Atlanta, GA

#6 Dec 3, 2012
Kumbaya! Kumbaya! I would like to see the city have a live nativity, that's what Christmas is all about, the birth of Jesus.
this Friday

Bremen, GA

#7 Dec 4, 2012
wobbler1957 wrote:
MS, I haven't heard anyone get their panties in a wad about saying Christmas decorations instead of Holiday or whatever. I personally don't care what anyone wants to call it, when someone wishes me a Happy Holiday or Merry Christmas I say "Thank you, same to you!"

Jeez louise, find another hobby horse. The War on Christmas is all in your mind.
Actually, if you turn on the news, there is a huge discussion on this very subject. I have a suspicion either Misti works in retail or knows someone who works in retail and they are being asked to call it a holiday tree and say Happy Holidays. The commercialism of Christmas is winning and stores are so interested in making sales that they "feel" they might lose a sale if they say "Merry Christmas" to a non-Christian. It's a shame that in this economy, someone is working in the retail environment and may have done so for years is feeling the pressure to denounce their Christianity. Just because you personally don't have an issue with the term "Christmas" and aren't fighting to remove it from everything - it doesn't mean this isn't happening.

Don't call this issue "in her head" when it is in fact occurring. That was one of the most ridiculous and self-centered comments you have posted. I assume the wars in the Middle East aren't occurring either just because you aren't the one involved in the fighting?

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#8 Dec 4, 2012
The lady that used to do most of the store front decorations retired a couple of yers ago and nobody else stepped up to continue the tradition. I suspect it's also an issue of funds being pretty tight everywhere.

“Get off my lawn”

Since: Jul 10

Bremen, GA

#9 Dec 4, 2012
TF: which news? Real news or Fox "news"?

The commercialization of Christmas has been going on for decades, it's not new. People were complaining about it when I was a wee tot, 50+ years ago.

"Happy Holidays" has always been an alternative greeting, I've heard it all my life. This was the season for Hanukkah long before it was the season for Christmas, you know...

And if you want to get didactic, the birth of Jesus couldn't have happened in December -- the shepherds were watching their flocks because it was the lambing season, which starts in late February and early March. So Jesus had to have been born in the spring, not the dead of winter.

Christmas was set by the early Catholic Church at the time of the winter solstice in order to convert pagans by showing them that they could keep on practicing their celebrations.

As for "ridiculous" comments, this

"I assume the wars in the Middle East aren't occurring either just because you aren't the one involved in the fighting? "

takes the cake. I know the wars in the Middle East are happening because *more than one news outlet reports it as real news, not as opinion, commentary, or rabid crazy weirdness*.

There is no "War on Christmas" or on Christians. You're just being asked to recognize there are other systems of belief in this country than yours, and to quit beating us over the head all the time with yours.

“Mess with these Claws......”

Since: Oct 09

Villa Rica, GA

#10 Dec 4, 2012
wobbler1957 wrote:

There is no "War on Christmas" or on Christians. You're just being asked to recognize there are other systems of belief in this country than yours, and to quit beating us over the head all the time with yours.
Well, they have taken God/prayer out of schools, ballgames, etc. They are taking away public christian ways to accommodate the non believers. That is pretty much saying Christians cannot publicly show their beliefs because they must accommodate those who do not believe. Kind of shows the non believers are having their way and their way only. Is that fair?

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#11 Dec 4, 2012
You would be Wise to listen to this lady as she is old enough to have been there.....:)

"if you want to get didactic, the birth of Jesus couldn't have happened in December -- the shepherds were watching their flocks because it was the lambing season, which starts in late February and early March. So Jesus had to have been born in the spring, not the dead of winter."

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#12 Dec 4, 2012
Actually Christmas is just another Pagan Holiday designed to separate you from your money anyway.

Christians, However, as a GROUP are nothing but Sheeple these days. You allow anyone to attack you and trample on your rights and freedoms without putting up any kind of a fight. As a GROUP You have become unarmed Religious Zealots.This does not meant that there are not individuals that will put up some sort of a fight. But in General, today's Christians are no better than a Toothless Lion when it comes to fighting for what you say you believe in.

Very sad to watch you Sheeple being led to the Slaughter.
aggravated again

Carrollton, GA

#13 Dec 4, 2012
You know, I give up. Just see it your way. Be unhappy, complain about everything, expect free handouts, and be annoyed at the world, and when you die, that's all there ever will be for you.

You can get on here and attack everything that anyone ever writes on here and push your Democratic, atheist views, but the minute anyone ever comtradicts your pathetic internal view of the world, we're delusional, silly, and idiotic hicks. Get over yourself already. Believing in a God would mean you would have to accountable and you obviously don't want to be.

Be unhappy but quit trying to drag the rest of humanity down with you.

“Mess with these Claws......”

Since: Oct 09

Villa Rica, GA

#16 Dec 4, 2012
aggravated again wrote:
You know, I give up. Just see it your way. Be unhappy, complain about everything, expect free handouts, and be annoyed at the world, and when you die, that's all there ever will be for you.
You can get on here and attack everything that anyone ever writes on here and push your Democratic, atheist views, but the minute anyone ever comtradicts your pathetic internal view of the world, we're delusional, silly, and idiotic hicks. Get over yourself already. Believing in a God would mean you would have to accountable and you obviously don't want to be.
Be unhappy but quit trying to drag the rest of humanity down with you.
Amen!
South of you guys

Columbus, GA

#17 Dec 4, 2012
We had a prayer before the opening ceremony of our Little League season this past Spring and some lady lost her mind about it. I think she was possessed cause she cried out in agony like we were doing something so horrible. The short prayer was completed but she would not shut up, it was like someone had slapped her face. Seen stuff like that a few times, think it just comes down to respect for other people.

"And so, as Tiny Tim said, "A Merry Christmas to us all; God bless us, every one!"

“Get off my lawn”

Since: Jul 10

Bremen, GA

#18 Dec 4, 2012
Happy Hanukkah!
politically incorrect

Bremen, GA

#19 Dec 4, 2012
wobbler1957 wrote:
Happy Hanukkah!
Are you Jewish? Or just causing more trouble?
aggravated again

Bremen, GA

#20 Dec 4, 2012
politically incorrect wrote:
<quoted text>Are you Jewish? Or just causing more trouble?
She's moved on to making a joke at the expense of another religion. She has claimed that she mostly aligns herself with Buddhism.

“Get off my lawn”

Since: Jul 10

Bremen, GA

#21 Dec 5, 2012
I'm an atheist with delusions of Buddhism. I was simply reminding others that this time of year has more than one holiday associated with it, and much older than Christmas.

Legitimate holidays, not Kwanzaa.

Happy Winter Solstice!
aggravated again

Carrollton, GA

#22 Dec 5, 2012
wobbler1957 wrote:
I'm an atheist with delusions of Buddhism. I was simply reminding others that this time of year has more than one holiday associated with it, and much older than Christmas.
Legitimate holidays, not Kwanzaa.
Happy Winter Solstice!
You are missing the point entirely. I don't think any religious expression should be forced to a generic Happy Holidays. If a person of Jewish faith greeted me with "Happy Hannukah", I would gladly receive their greeting. If a person of no religious faith greeted me with "Happy Holidays", I would gladly receive their greeting. The issue is that the country is slowly removing religious displays and speaking in generic terms so as to not offend the non-religious.

I would be seriously upset if someone asked us all to call the Jewish Menorah - the holiday seven-branched lampstand. It's a symbol of their faith and it should remain as such. Regardless of the background of the Christmas tree, it has been a part of the Christian faith and we should be allowed to continue to call it so.

Let's go back to history. The reason the Constitution was so specific on religious freedom is because the Protestants fled to American to not be persecuted for their religious beliefs and to not be accused of heresy. It was not to remove religion, but to give us the freedom to worship within our religious faith. It never stated, you can't be religious. At some point, it has been so distorted that public prayer is being discouraged, nativity scenes are being asked to be removed, and we have to call things the generic holiday. The separation of church and state was to not allow the government to force a religion on someone and not to persecute you for not participating in a display of worship. It never said you can't pray in school and you can't put up the ten commandments. It's purpose was to not throw a child in jail if they did not want to say a prayer or not lock a family up if they didn't go to church on Sunday. It protected all rights of those religious and those non-religious.

The worst thing about this all is that Atheism has become it's own religious monster that feels it can force us to its viewpoint and squash our right to worship as we wish. I don't understand how this is not recognized in this country. It was the exact thing that the authors of the Constitution were trying to prevent - the persecution of religious freedom.

“Get off my lawn”

Since: Jul 10

Bremen, GA

#23 Dec 5, 2012
I have yet to see any atheists coming to my door to discuss atheism with me... various Christian denominations, however, are regularly bothering me.

I don't care how anyone worships or whether they worship. Just don't force your beliefs on me. I don't force mine on you (regardless of what some think -- simply stating one's lack of belief is not "forcing" that lack on anyone else).

I do believe, though, that government buildings etc. shouldn't have displays reflecting a particular religion. Christmas trees, lights, tinsel, all that stuff has become pretty secular (as it started out), so I have no issue with that. However, because of the separation of church and state.

Let me quote from the Treaty of Tripoli:

...the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion...

Says it all right there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carrollton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 12 min Bill in Dville 55,435
Wobbler & OctoberK 1 hr Bama 1
Haralson County Jail Website??? 1 hr Bama 3
Bremen footbal raffle 1 hr Waterboy 22
Bremen Football 10 hr Mr Mcnasty 114
Just Me 21 hr Bama 7
Hannah Hutchins Tue MSO4 22
•••

Carrollton News Video

•••
•••

Carrollton Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Carrollton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Carrollton News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Carrollton
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••