#1 Dec 7, 2012
Is it wrong to do the whole Santa clause thing for
Kids? Is it lying to them? Or just building them
Up to be let down?
Thoughts please...
Wondering

Douglasville, GA

#2 Dec 7, 2012
So you are against the excitement of the Christmas Season. The kids love it, I never thought that my parents were liars because of Santa. It is sad if you did. I admire my parents for allowing me to believe and continued the tradition as my children have also. Are there not more important things in this world to worry about like world hunger, hate groups like the Democrats and the Republicans and those that want to kill the infidels (read US)GIVE THE KIDS SANTA and give it to yourself

“Mess with these Claws......”

Since: Oct 09

Carrollton, GA

#3 Dec 7, 2012
Let them be children and believe in Santa Claus, no e on the end. :)

“Get off my lawn”

Since: Jul 10

Bremen, GA

#4 Dec 7, 2012
I think Santa Claus is just fine. My son got report cards from Santa the whole time he believed in him, written by my mother's boss. It lets children develop an imagination, and gives them a bright and wonderful memory for later, when Real Life takes away most of what is bright and wonderful.

Let them believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, all those things.
aggravated again

Tucker, GA

#5 Dec 7, 2012
wobbler1957 wrote:
I think Santa Claus is just fine. My son got report cards from Santa the whole time he believed in him, written by my mother's boss. It lets children develop an imagination, and gives them a bright and wonderful memory for later, when Real Life takes away most of what is bright and wonderful.

Let them believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, all those things.
Guess what? I'm going to agree with you on this subject!:-)
The grinch

Temple, GA

#6 Dec 7, 2012
Well the thing about Santa is that it creates an atmosphere that you get what you want and life will always be a fairy tale. But when you get older you get let down and figure out people are selfish and only care about themselves. That's why me and my wife let my kids work around the house and do small jobs for other people we know, we "pay" them with toys and money. And when they get older they won't be in for a rude awakening.
My grandparents only got candy and fruit at Christmas when they were kids and they grew up just fine, the problem with my generation is we were all spoiled and got everything we wanted, if we want something we just swipe the credit card!
That's what's wrong with society!
So for this Christmas my children will
Get some candy and we will
Have "family " time around the tree.
THERE IS MORE TO CHRISTMAS THAN GIVING YOUR KIDS WHAT THEY WANT!!!'

“Get off my lawn”

Bremen, GA

#7 Dec 7, 2012
"THERE IS MORE TO CHRISTMAS THAN GIVING YOUR KIDS WHAT THEY WANT!!!"

Of course there is. But that doesn't mean you have to deprive them of Santa Claus.

Many is the Christmas I didn't get a whole lot of loot, just candy and fruit in my stocking and a token present under the tree. I still got to believe in Santa Claus until I stopped on my own.

Guess what -- kids learn to conspicuously consume from their parents and what they do all year long, not how many prezzies they have under the tree at Christmas. So look to your own practices instead of blaming Saint Nick.
The grinch

Temple, GA

#8 Dec 8, 2012
wobbler1957 wrote:
"THERE IS MORE TO CHRISTMAS THAN GIVING YOUR KIDS WHAT THEY WANT!!!"
Of course there is. But that doesn't mean you have to deprive them of Santa Claus.
Many is the Christmas I didn't get a whole lot of loot, just candy and fruit in my stocking and a token present under the tree. I still got to believe in Santa Claus until I stopped on my own.
Guess what -- kids learn to conspicuously consume from their parents and what they do all year long, not how many prezzies they have under the tree at Christmas. So look to your own practices instead of blaming Saint Nick.
My kids don't consume a whole lot from
Me unless they work for it.
We're not promised anything in America.
So they earn everything they have
aggravated again

Bremen, GA

#9 Dec 8, 2012
The grinch wrote:
<quoted text>My kids don't consume a whole lot from
You do realize we are talking about small kids old enough to believe in Santa Clause, right? And not teenagers who are taught to be lazy? My kids are old enough to believe in Santa and have small chores around the house and don't get something from the candy aisle at checkout every time we are at the grocery store. My kids are taught to respect adults and concentrate on their schoolwork and keep their room clean. But I also let them have the magic of Santa and the Easter Bunny. And we teach them the religious meaning of the holidays too.

Having Santa coming to an elementary school child's home is not going to put them on welfare and have them expect free handouts. Bad parenting and lack of discipline does.

“Mess with these Claws......”

Since: Oct 09

Carrollton, GA

#10 Dec 8, 2012
The grinch wrote:
<quoted text>
My kids don't consume a whole lot from
You seem to be confusing Christmas and Santa with raising your kids to be independent. Nothing wrong with either one but letting your small children have the childhood joy of Santa is not going to steer your kids in the wrong direction. Chill.

“Get off my lawn”

Bremen, GA

#11 Dec 8, 2012
"We're not promised anything in America. "

Sure we are. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Everything listed in the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and all the other Amendments.

What country do you think you're living in?
The grinch

Hogansville, GA

#12 Dec 8, 2012
wobbler1957 wrote:
"We're not promised anything in America. "
Sure we are. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Everything listed in the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and all the other Amendments.
What country do you think you're living in?
Now your trying to make this a political argument. All I'm talking about is kids and Santa. If you want to debate politics, roll the dice because you will lose.

“Get off my lawn”

Bremen, GA

#14 Dec 8, 2012
You said we aren't promised anything in America. I disagreed because we are promised several things in America.

It's not politics, it's a fact.
The grinch

Temple, GA

#15 Dec 8, 2012
So if we are promised life why are unborn babies murdered everyday in America? Hmmm

And liberty? Guess I'm not at liberty to decide on the whole healthcare issue...it was shoved down the throats of millions of Americans.

Pursuit of happiness... I'll give you that one

If we had a govt. and a Supreme Court that upheld those promises I would agree with you. But we don't. So keep living in fairy land while the govt keeps taking away your freedoms.
Little Cindy loo

Temple, GA

#16 Dec 8, 2012
I'm going to have to agree with the grinch.

“Get off my lawn”

Bremen, GA

#17 Dec 8, 2012
Whoops, who turned this into politics?

Kids should get to believe in Santa Claus. There's nothing to lose and a lot to gain from such an exercise of imagination. If we didn't have imagination, what a grey, dreary world this would be.
Sabrina

Temple, GA

#18 Dec 8, 2012
Well I see where this has gone, you can't even talk about Santa anymore
Without bringing up politics..
Thanks Mr. Grinch.
Thanks wobbler.
But I do have to agree with The Grinch!
The grinch

Temple, GA

#21 Dec 10, 2012
Sabrina you will find that most people
On here do agree with my view on politics.
As for the wobbler most people disagree with her. All she wants to do is get on here and stir the pot.

“Get off my lawn”

Bremen, GA

#22 Dec 10, 2012
Nope, I just want to remind folks that there's always a different point of view. And you can't go by the people who *post* as a gauge of the overall sentiments of a forum; for every active poster there are roughly 10 or more lurkers.
The grinch

Sandersville, GA

#23 Dec 10, 2012
wobbler1957 wrote:
Nope, I just want to remind folks that there's always a different point of view. And you can't go by the people who *post* as a gauge of the overall sentiments of a forum; for every active poster there are roughly 10 or more lurkers.
What are you some kind of topix stat keeper?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carrollton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 9 min dixie 84,054
Bremen Football QB??? 2 hr Hal 46
Johnny Smith (Dec '14) 23 hr Bremen-Mater 12
TopLine Transmission/ Trans Tech Plus Aug 19 Too bad 4
Bms Aug 18 mmmm 5
News Feral cats a plague in some neighborhoods Aug 18 TNR Researcher 2
Work at home (Mar '13) Aug 13 Work At Home 34

Carrollton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Carrollton Mortgages