Disregard for stopped buses becoming a problem

Christopher Shannon/Times-Georgian Children at Carrollton Elementary School walk to their school bus after school on Friday. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
David Cook

Carrollton, GA

#1 Dec 13, 2011
put a stronger, longer arm on the side of the buses.WHen the arm is extended, it covers the entire next lane and has flashing strobe lights on it.If someone takes that out a couple charges for destroying government property wont take long to get around.I see this DAILY in carroll county.USe the technology that cop cars use.This devise scans your tag when you pass by the cop and then if it picks out your tag again within a certain time frame, it alerts him to it.

“Yet another average white man.”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#2 Dec 13, 2011
People have been hauling azz in school zones here for years. The cops don't care. I have seen exactly 3 people get pulled over in a school zone in 12 years. Isn't it a double fine zone? Why doesn't the county want all that money? We have plenty of STUPID people who think 50 or 60 is just fine in a school zone. Farley was right.
Grobbbbbbbbb

Since: Jun 07

D'ville, GA

#3 Dec 13, 2011
David Cook wrote:
put a stronger, longer arm on the side of the buses.WHen the arm is extended, it covers the entire next lane and has flashing strobe lights on it.If someone takes that out a couple charges for destroying government property wont take long to get around.I see this DAILY in carroll county.USe the technology that cop cars use.This devise scans your tag when you pass by the cop and then if it picks out your tag again within a certain time frame, it alerts him to it.
Not a bad idea, something that would damage the offending car. Problem is that impact could potentially cause injury to one of the kids due to flying debris, of the driver losing control of their car. Many buses do have cameras to record the tags, not sure if D county is using any.
David Cook

Carrollton, GA

#4 Dec 13, 2011
how about a huge gate on front of the bus like people have at the entrance of their apartments>It slides across the other lane when the sign goes out?Better yet, arm the driver and shoot their ass.Its not hard to spot a vehicle with the back window shot out.

Location hidden

#5 Dec 13, 2011
Maybe the school bus should stop at an oblique angle blocking the entire road for every stop. They certainly have the right!
Grobbbbbbbbb
LeftiesSmellBad

Lithia Springs, GA

#6 Dec 14, 2011
The police really do need to start cracking down on the bad drivers around here. We had 2 car/pedestrian deaths in about a weeks time.

My wife works with one of the children of the lady that was killed by a car. Very sad story… Their church had to step up to help the family with expenses.

On my street people fly by doing at least 50-60 all day and night long in a 40-mph zone!

I do have to admit however, when I call the sheriff’s dept. they do their best to get a cruiser out there for a couple of days/nights. They also write a bunch of tickets as well! It is unfortunate (and understandable why) they can’t do it all the time.

lEwHolt

Ellenwood, GA

#7 Dec 14, 2011
Grob Hahn wrote:
Maybe the school bus should stop at an oblique angle blocking the entire road for every stop. They certainly have the right!
Grobbbbbbbbb
Thats really not a bad idea and wouldn't cost any extra money. Not Bad, Grobster..........
lEwHolt

Ellenwood, GA

#8 Dec 14, 2011
But yeah, I see it more and more. Somebody else is gonna get run over if they don't fix it.

Since: Jun 07

D'ville, GA

#9 Dec 14, 2011
lEwHolt wrote:
<quoted text>Thats really not a bad idea and wouldn't cost any extra money. Not Bad, Grobster..........
But you fix one problem and create another. The distracted driver hits the bus killing....how many? Or swerves hitting the kids standing along side the road. I think the problem has more to do with distracted drivers that scofflaws that just don't want to stop. Catch them and make it real expensive to use that cellphone or play with the radio.
david

Carrollton, GA

#10 Dec 14, 2011
if the busses will let children off on I20 , there will be plenty of cops around to catch those people who pass the bus.For the side streets,FORGET IT!There aint no money to be made in douglasville like there is on I-20
dr zeus

Duluth, GA

#11 Dec 14, 2011
way to go dill hole. take somthing serious and make an ass out of yourself. mamma's proud.
LewiePooey

Ellenwood, GA

#12 Dec 14, 2011
spitfire2 wrote:
<quoted text>
But you fix one problem and create another. The distracted driver hits the bus killing....how many? Or swerves hitting the kids standing along side the road. I think the problem has more to do with distracted drivers that scofflaws that just don't want to stop. Catch them and make it real expensive to use that cellphone or play with the radio.
Gosh, you're talking nice to me(faint). You're missing my point and you have a good one. What I like is an idea that doesn't cost money instead of a knee jerk reaction to one accident in a country of 300 million people. Everybody in here goes on and on about the federal goverment but mark my words, its the state and local governments that will bleed us dry. Look at Douglas county's spending spree of late.
LewiePooey

Ellenwood, GA

#13 Dec 14, 2011
LeftiesSmellBad wrote:
The police really do need to start cracking down on the bad drivers around here. We had 2 car/pedestrian deaths in about a weeks time.
My wife works with one of the children of the lady that was killed by a car. Very sad story… Their church had to step up to help the family with expenses.
On my street people fly by doing at least 50-60 all day and night long in a 40-mph zone!
I do have to admit however, when I call the sheriff’s dept. they do their best to get a cruiser out there for a couple of days/nights. They also write a bunch of tickets as well! It is unfortunate (and understandable why) they can’t do it all the time.
yep, all you hear in here is that the government gets bigger and bigger and you have one accident and everybody wants the government( hire more police) to do something about it. The problem isn't the government, it's the people.
Get it

Carrollton, GA

#14 Dec 14, 2011
LewiePooey wrote:
<quoted text>yep, all you hear in here is that the government gets bigger and bigger and you have one accident and everybody wants the government( hire more police) to do something about it. The problem isn't the government, it's the people.
It's states rights not federal jerk ass nobody wants the federal govt. in mass form things are run much smoother on smaller scales less bs and less money spent federal has its place and state govt. has its place as a federal govt. we should not go in to another state and control things in that state just
Ike the damn water situation with Alabama and Florida
LewiePooey

Ellenwood, GA

#16 Dec 14, 2011
New schools, new safety building, new jail, new library(who goes to a library anymore), senior center; ITS THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT THATS BANKRUPTING US!
Get it

Carrollton, GA

#17 Dec 14, 2011
Voice your opinion but don't think for one second that the fed. Govt. is not involved
LeftiesSmellBad

Lithia Springs, GA

#18 Dec 15, 2011
LewiePooey wrote:
<quoted text>yep, all you hear in here is that the government gets bigger and bigger and you have one accident and everybody wants the government( hire more police) to do something about it. The problem isn't the government, it's the people.
I wasn't calling for more police to be hired.

Using your premises,“Enough Police” would be a 1:1 Ratio. IE, it would be 1 officer for every citizen for protection and law enforcement. Simple fact is the police can not be everywhere no matter how many are hired. That is the part I understand in my previous message.

Location hidden

#19 Dec 15, 2011
LewiePooey wrote:

Actually we do need more cops in Douglas county. We don't have enough. We also need to have MORE tickets being written for people speeding in school zones. Take a trip down to Tyrone some morning and see how the school zones work down there. People fear going 1 mph over the speed limit in that town because the cops there will pull them over and give them an expensive ticket without fail. In Douglas county it's as if the cops have better things to do that run down people speeding in school zones. If enough of them get tickets this crap will stop.
Grobbbbbbbbbb
No soup for you

Carrollton, GA

#20 Jun 13, 2012
I think the problem is when the bus stops on the opposite side of the road it is often times difficult for drivers to tell that the bus has stopped or is stopping, maybe they are slowing to turn. Its an easy thing to overlook, albeit very dangerous.

The problem lies with the dinky stop signs they use. They are not eye catching and go unnoticed. A gate is a good idea but maybe just up the stakes and have flashing lights on the sign that are attention getting.

Location hidden

#21 Jun 13, 2012
No soup for you wrote:
I think the problem is when the bus stops on the opposite side of the road it is often times difficult for drivers to tell that the bus has stopped or is stopping, maybe they are slowing to turn. Its an easy thing to overlook, albeit very dangerous.
The problem lies with the dinky stop signs they use. They are not eye catching and go unnoticed. A gate is a good idea but maybe just up the stakes and have flashing lights on the sign that are attention getting.

Or just have more people aware that passing a stopped school bus results in a huge fine. The lights and sign need to be enough.
Grobbbbbbbbb

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carrollton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 7 hr N GA libs are low IQ 57,848
Student to get head baseball coach right out of... Mon Typical 7
Old Bremen city golf course Mon Red 10
Bremen-Lovvett Game Mon Black Jesus 33
Boys Basketball team will be great this year Nov 22 Giligan02 7
Ambu care Nov 22 Welfare 33
Is Bremen City School worth the $1350 tuition? (Dec '10) Nov 22 Voice of Reason 148

Carrollton News Video

Carrollton Dating
Find my Match

Carrollton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Carrollton News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Carrollton

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:20 am PST

NFL10:20AM