David

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

I want to register and create a profile like many of you have. Have any of you experienced any privacy issues after registering?
Do you think it is better to register if you are interested in posting of Topix?

Thanks for your input
aggravated again

Bremen, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Judged:

David wrote:
I want to register and create a profile like many of you have. Have any of you experienced any privacy issues after registering?
Do you think it is better to register if you are interested in posting of Topix?

Thanks for your input
It really doesn't matter technically. I've done both ways. The awful thing about registering though is it's like a puzzle. People will start looking for hints in your all your registered posts to identify who you are. I've even seen one person clearly identified because the puzzle pieces all fit together. You might think, well, what's wrong with someone knowing who I am - if I won't say something to someone's face, I shouldn't say it here.

However, there are always fruitcases out there and I would hate for someone to stalk you, egg your house, treat your kids differently on the playground, etc. You catch my drift.
taterhead

Carrollton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

I registered once and someone called the cops on me and I got arrested for saying something that was true about somebody.I had to spend a couple days in jail in carrollton.The guards were nice to me in there and one was a female guard. she was HOTT. She showed me her hooters one night real late.I found out that I knew 3 other people in the jail wwhen they turned us out to go eat breakfast the next morning. They brought us back our cells and changed our sheets on the beds.After 3 days locked up , The judge let me go because heknew the person I was talking about and knew it was also true.the moral of the story is.. the truth will set you free

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

aggravated again wrote:
<quoted text>
It really doesn't matter technically. I've done both ways. The awful thing about registering though is it's like a puzzle. People will start looking for hints in your all your registered posts to identify who you are. I've even seen one person clearly identified because the puzzle pieces all fit together. You might think, well, what's wrong with someone knowing who I am - if I won't say something to someone's face, I shouldn't say it here.
However, there are always fruitcases out there and I would hate for someone to stalk you, egg your house, treat your kids differently on the playground, etc. You catch my drift.
Who was identified? Thats news to me.

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Unless you meant wobbler. I forgot about her saying where she lived, then someone pulled the tax records online.
aggravated again

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

MSO4 wrote:
Unless you meant wobbler. I forgot about her saying where she lived, then someone pulled the tax records online.
Yep! I didn't realize that is what happened to identify her, and that's even creepier. Might not see eye to eye with her but I find that a little stressful.

“Get off my lawn”

Since: Jul 10

Bremen, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

That was really stressful. I was on the edge of getting the cops involved, but the people who thought they were so smart decided to back down.

Suffice to say I've kept the relevant PM's and posts here in a nice little file, so if those folks get frisky again, I can easily reopen the entire can of worms.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

I say, if you want to know who I am, just meet me for lunch when I'm in Bremen. I've got nothing to hide. You may not agree with me, but I tell it like I see it and let it get traction or skid off the road on its own.

“The real B-Man”

Since: Nov 12

Carrollton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

taterhead wrote:
I registered once and someone called the cops on me and I got arrested for saying something that was true about somebody.I had to spend a couple days in jail in carrollton.The guards were nice to me in there and one was a female guard. she was HOTT. She showed me her hooters one night real late.I found out that I knew 3 other people in the jail wwhen they turned us out to go eat breakfast the next morning. They brought us back our cells and changed our sheets on the beds.After 3 days locked up , The judge let me go because heknew the person I was talking about and knew it was also true.the moral of the story is.. the truth will set you free
yeah, sure...lol. Not even the hick cops around here are going to arrest anyone over a Topix post. Libel and defamation are a civil matter, not criminal.
Irony

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

I know who all the prominent registered are that post on the Bremen board. I had nothing malicious in mind, just did it because it was like a puzzle to solve. Took me almost 3 years to figure out the hardest one.
Some were very easy, others not so much.
Some have multiple identities, some have only one.
Getting back to the OP question, I would say do not register if you want to be certain in remaining
anonymous.

I have used 100's of identities and have a bio on each one so they seem distinct from each other.
I figure I am going to get the "that person is insane" statements now but really, it's nothing more than a hobby like a puzzle to solve.

BTW, running an Unauthorized credit check is very illegal, I have never done it and you shouldn't either. What's truly scary for our society is just how much information is out there on everyone.

“Get off my lawn”

Bremen, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

The real question, though, is why does anyone even *care* who anyone else on the board is?

I've run into that a lot, on lots of other boards, some I've run, where people would try their damnedest to figure out who other users were. If I caught anyone doing that on a board I ran, I kicked them off and banned them.

I just don't understand why anyone would spend their time trying to figure out who other people are on an anonymous board... if you want to solve a puzzle, try http://www.logic-puzzles.org . Lots of fun there.
aggravated again

Williamston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

wobbler1957 wrote:
The real question, though, is why does anyone even *care* who anyone else on the board is?

I've run into that a lot, on lots of other boards, some I've run, where people would try their damnedest to figure out who other users were. If I caught anyone doing that on a board I ran, I kicked them off and banned them.

I just don't understand why anyone would spend their time trying to figure out who other people are on an anonymous board... if you want to solve a puzzle, try http://www.logic-puzzles.org . Lots of fun there.
LOL! Logic puzzles! Love those damn things - didn't realize there was a website for those things!
Irony

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

wobbler1957 wrote:
Hey Wobbler, too late for the puzzle site but thanks for the link.
I don't know why I did the solving but I never have been mean or threatening toward you or anyone.
There are things I don't understand about other people too. I am guilty of cloning but I wasn't the only one. I.never was involved in the "Knights" fiasco, I have more class then that and I know who that trash is.
I've busted your chops a few times over your differing opinion on a topic or two but nothing out of line. I played a silly word game as your clone for awhile.
In solving the puzzle I made one mistake in the process but it wasn't illegal or unethical but I regret it now.
Now maybe someone will figure out who I am, LOL

“Get off my lawn”

Bremen, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Actually, try out that puzzle site. I try to solve at least 3 or so a day. I'm not the fastest in the world, but it's fun and it's a good workout for the brain.

Hey, if we were all the same life would be boring. I hold no ill will against anyone I disagree with -- I'm sure we'd all get along famously if we met in real life.

The internet tends to strip away that veneer of civilization we have that keeps us from ripping each other to pieces. That's why it's A Good Thing to take a break from it now and then.

And I enjoyed the word game, clone!

“Mess with these Claws......”

Since: Oct 09

Carrollton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

wobbler1957 wrote:
Actually, try out that puzzle site. I try to solve at least 3 or so a day. I'm not the fastest in the world, but it's fun and it's a good workout for the brain.
Hey, if we were all the same life would be boring. I hold no ill will against anyone I disagree with -- I'm sure we'd all get along famously if we met in real life.
The internet tends to strip away that veneer of civilization we have that keeps us from ripping each other to pieces. That's why it's A Good Thing to take a break from it now and then.
LOL! You want to know how everyone here found out who you were(besides the fact that you described your house and yard umpteen times on here)? The clone might can help. No telling how many PMs that one sent.

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

wobbler1957 wrote:
That was really stressful. I was on the edge of getting the cops involved, but the people who thought they were so smart decided to back down.
Suffice to say I've kept the relevant PM's and posts here in a nice little file, so if those folks get frisky again, I can easily reopen the entire can of worms.
While I am sure that was stressful wobbler, what law was broken that would involve the cops? Looking up public tax records and mentioning someones name on a blog site is not against the law. Now if you were threatened, that is a different story.

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

Irony wrote:
I know who all the prominent registered are that post on the Bremen board.
No you dont.
Irony

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

octoberK wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! You want to know how everyone here found out who you were(besides the fact that you described your house and yard umpteen times on here)? The clone might can help. No telling how many PMs that one sent.
You are always so predictable. Don't mean that in a bad way. I"ll admit I PMed you a couple of times.. I liked flirting with you.
Irony

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

MSO4 wrote:
<quoted text>No you dont.
I expected you to say "Prove It" either way I'm not going to bite.
So you win, there, aren't you happy.
Irony

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

wobbler1957 wrote:
Me too

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Carrollton Discussions

Search the Carrollton Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 10 min Cbutt 50,092
Lauren Richardson 5 hr MSO4 2
County vehicle cleanup Tue MSO4 18
Rainey Rd @ Rome St Tue Kenny 1
Mitch McConnell Mon little church girl 1
Hannah Hutchins Jul 28 Bloop 1
Beelzebubba in Ft Bragg Jul 28 Frisbee 27
•••
•••

Carrollton News Video

•••
•••

Carrollton Jobs