Power Still Out Across Iowa After Ice...

Power Still Out Across Iowa After Ice Storm

There are 35 comments on the WHOtv story from Jan 22, 2010, titled Power Still Out Across Iowa After Ice Storm. In it, WHOtv reports that:

Thousands of Iowans are still without power from this week's ice storm and in some areas, it could be days before power is restored.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHOtv.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
LinemansWifeNH

Hudson, NH

#23 Jan 23, 2010
Chops your a LOSER, you're just jealous you married a loser on welfare go F yourself!!!!
Worried daughter

Urbandale, IA

#24 Jan 23, 2010
I was so worried about my family that is from the Carroll area and is going through all this power problems. I have been thinking about everyone and wishing everyone well. Good luck restoring power!
luvmylineman2

Boise, ID

#25 Jan 23, 2010
So very proud of my lineman who was flown in a couple of days ago to help the people of Iowa. He took a moment during a very short break to call and tell me what a mess it is there and let me know he's ok. Please know these guys are working long hard hours in very uncomfortable circumstances to get your power back on. They, like Firemen, Policemen, and those in the military could never be paid enough to do what they do, but they love what they do...helping great people, as well as rude, ignorant, and thankless people. They don't judge who should get their power on by what you do for a living, or how much money you make,OR your attitude towards them, as obviously this uneducated, crass "chops" person. I agree, this man(?) is in need of some time without power (ie heat, hot water, lights, tv and internet), but he won't need to worry for long because our linemen are out there taking care of HIM. So go ahead..be happy you're married to a lineman and just ignore people like Chops, we know how great these men are!
lovemylineman

United States

#26 Jan 23, 2010
I don't think people understand what lineman give up just to help other people. My husband hasn't seen his family in 2 weeks by the time all the power is restored it will probably be closer to three. Ya the money is great but you cant get the time with your family back. He has missed birthdays anniversary. I usually spend every valentines day alone because thats ice season so he can help other people. He never complains about the 18-20 hour days he puts in, but plenty of people complain to him about why in the hell there power isn't on sooner. So when you see a lineman out working in the storm take them a hot cup of coffee and just say thanks instead of complaining. These guys work there asses off everyday not just during storms.
DSM Teacher 2

Excelsior, MN

#27 Jan 23, 2010
I'm not sure who to thank, but I just found this article had a comments section (I've commented in other sections before)....
Anyway, we were without power on Thursday for 10 hours. It was not fun and made our day difficult. However, our house was not damaged and our health and safety was not in danger. We were about to stay in a hotel, and then, just when we were about to leave, the power came on... I was so thankful, It's amazing how much we depend on electricity and take it for granted.
I think we also take the linemen for granted who make sure our power gets to our homes. We were at the mercy of these guys on that day, and they pulled through, made the personal sacrifices to make sure our life could go back to normal. I was NEVER angry at anyone for the lights going out, only grateful for getting it back.
I didn't want to call MidAmerican Energy to thank them because I didn't want to further clog their phone lines, but if someone reading this can pass on my thanks to them, I'd appreciate it!
linemanswife

Brooklyn, IA

#28 Jan 23, 2010
DSM Teacher 2 wrote:
I'm not sure who to thank, but I just found this article had a comments section (I've commented in other sections before)....
Anyway, we were without power on Thursday for 10 hours. It was not fun and made our day difficult. However, our house was not damaged and our health and safety was not in danger. We were about to stay in a hotel, and then, just when we were about to leave, the power came on... I was so thankful, It's amazing how much we depend on electricity and take it for granted.
I think we also take the linemen for granted who make sure our power gets to our homes. We were at the mercy of these guys on that day, and they pulled through, made the personal sacrifices to make sure our life could go back to normal. I was NEVER angry at anyone for the lights going out, only grateful for getting it back.
I didn't want to call MidAmerican Energy to thank them because I didn't want to further clog their phone lines, but if someone reading this can pass on my thanks to them, I'd appreciate it!
I can sure do that for you! I have a friend that works for Mid American. My husband is a powerlineman for PAR, they're contracted through Mid American. THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR YOUR COMMENT! We need more ppl like you in the world.

Since: Jan 10

Sapulpa, OK

#29 Jan 23, 2010
linemanswife wrote:
<quoted text>
I can sure do that for you! I have a friend that works for Mid American. My husband is a powerlineman for PAR, they're contracted through Mid American. THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR YOUR COMMENT! We need more ppl like you in the world.
My husband is a lineman for PAR as well. He is working the ice storm in Iowa, some long hours for our men and it is nice to know that people are thankful for our husbands working so hard to get the power back!!!
Proud of my lineman

Los Angeles, CA

#30 Jan 24, 2010
You know my husband has been on storms and I have to say not many people show their appreciation. I remember when he did the ice storms in Oregon and my husband had to sleep in his truck the crew were hungry, I wanted to just cry because what could I do for him, I was in Cali with 3 babies. I sad a little prayer for someone out there to show some compasion. My husband called later that night to tell me that a little old woman came out of her house with hot cocoa and coffee for the guys. I wish there were more people like that little old lady who appreciated what those men were there to do for her and many other's.
Carroll Resident

Omaha, NE

#31 Jan 25, 2010
THANK YOU! to all the guys that came from afar and our local guys for working so hard to help us out. I live in this mess and it is not easy, but dotn forget what these guys are doing to help us. Your cold in your house without power well dont forget about them being out in the cold, wind, rain and ice & snow for HOURS to get our power back on. So whoever is griping I hope you have to live in your cold house a few more days, maybe then you will appreciate whats being done for you!
carroll resident2

Cedar Rapids, IA

#32 Jan 25, 2010
I just wanted to say that I think that the linemen are doing an AMAZING job! They came into a really bad mess. They have not had a day free from rain, wind, ice or snow. In a 12 mile drive I saw over 115 trucks and it was overwhelming to see. I'll never forget that. My family truely appreciates what they are doing! For you linemen wives please tell your husbands that we are thinking about them and appreciate what they are doing for us!! We pray they get back home safely to your families!..God bless.
Mikeyswife

Warrensburg, MO

#33 Jan 26, 2010
Wow! Your story is almost identical to mine. I just found this blog, kind of looking for peer support as a lineman's wife. My lineman spent Christmas and New Years in Iowa works for PAR and is there again. We have three children ages 13 months- 6 years and he has been traveling for work for most of the last two years. I agree with what you've said. They do such a hard, important job. We take pride in our lineman and everyone elses. Hopefully following this blog may bring a little piece of mind to me, and my kiddos, as at times we struggle with dad gone. He works hard, so I feel it's my part to do the same. I am really looking forward to hearing from other lineman's wives, who share a common bond with me; many others do not understand! We love our lineman always and keep them all in our prayers!
Mikeyswife

Warrensburg, MO

#34 Jan 26, 2010
For those of you who are lineman's wives and mothers, and look to communicating with others like you...I just found a small group on FB.~Love my Lineman~
linemanswife

Brooklyn, IA

#35 Jan 26, 2010
Check out lineman/powerlineman wives too!
Mikeyswife wrote:
For those of you who are lineman's wives and mothers, and look to communicating with others like you...I just found a small group on FB.~Love my Lineman~
I Heart My IL Lineman

New London, IA

#36 Feb 1, 2010
Mikeyswife wrote:
what is the group name?:)
linemanswife

Brooklyn, IA

#37 Feb 2, 2010
Mikeyswife -
Lineman/Powerlineman Wives & Love My Lineman

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carroll Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News King's Iowa district shrugs off racially charge... (Mar '17) Mar '17 tikkun 3
News Firefighters rescue naked man from Iowa busines... (May '16) May '16 Dr Wu 5
News Mr. Sanders needs to come clean about his healt... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Goonsquad 5
News Rick Santorum's empty diner strategy (Jun '15) Jun '15 Far Away 8
News The top 10 masters of dumb disguise: Bad nuns, ... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Gignere1 1
News Dateline Iowa (Apr '08) Apr '14 bob loblaw 4
News Are Antibiotics On The Farm Risky Business? (Jul '13) Aug '13 Bradyn 2

Carroll Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Carroll Mortgages