Pedestrian run over in downtown London

Pedestrian run over in downtown London

There are 9 comments on the The Sentinel-Echo story from Feb 6, 2008, titled Pedestrian run over in downtown London. In it, The Sentinel-Echo reports that:

“But he was alert and talking with me”

A man was run over by a car while crossing the street Monday, resulting in two people having to lift up the vehicle to free his legs. via The Sentinel-Echo

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Sentinel-Echo.

Since: Jan 08

Lexington, KY

#1 Feb 6, 2008
Anyone know how this poor man is doing?
chill out

Danville, KY

#3 Feb 6, 2008
i heard it took about 10 people to lift the car off him, that would suck
Mel

Corbin, KY

#4 Feb 6, 2008
who was it?
All in

AOL

#5 Feb 8, 2008
Well judging from the story in the paper,it was an 84 year old woman that ran him over. I don't know how anyone else feels, but I think elderly drivers are not safe for the roads. They should give up that driver's license when they get the SS check. RTA is there for a reason. Instead of buying them big Chrysler's and Caddy's with those pensions, they need to put it in a fund to ride public transportation. Where are their adult children?? They shouldn't allow their elderly mothers to be out cruising them big boats. People need to honor their parents and not make them have to get out and drive. But everyone is too busy to care for older people or spend time with them. They have no idea how much they could learn from them, but they will spend their inheritance when they die.

Since: Feb 08

Lexington, KY

#6 Feb 8, 2008
Let them ride the trolly. That was a big waste of money if you ask me. They could build the skatepark probably for what that thing cost.
Jimbo

Ashburn, VA

#8 Feb 9, 2008
All in wrote:
Well judging from the story in the paper,it was an 84 year old woman that ran him over. I don't know how anyone else feels, but I think elderly drivers are not safe for the roads. They should give up that driver's license when they get the SS check. RTA is there for a reason. Instead of buying them big Chrysler's and Caddy's with those pensions, they need to put it in a fund to ride public transportation. Where are their adult children?? They shouldn't allow their elderly mothers to be out cruising them big boats. People need to honor their parents and not make them have to get out and drive. But everyone is too busy to care for older people or spend time with them. They have no idea how much they could learn from them, but they will spend their inheritance when they die.
Even if they are in good health a person that old has very slow reaction time.I work one part time job where a lot of older people come and I see them trying to back up and they are half guessing because they cant turn thier head.Legs dont move fast to brakes and stuff.They need to use public transportaion agreed
Jackson

Somerset, KY

#10 Feb 9, 2008
Snoope Doggie wrote:
Maybe from now on people will not jay walk.
I didnt think he was jay walking.I thought she hit him while turning and he would have had the right to be walking if that light was red.
Rita in Oz

Australia

#12 Feb 9, 2008
All in wrote:
You OBVIOUSLY don't know this woman. NOBODY tells her anything much less insist on driving her anywhere. This is, however, her first accident and she's been driving over 50 years. Makes it harder to tell her not to drive. If they take her license away she will stop driving but that's the only way. This is a woman who is not mentally impaired and is healthy and has a good driving record.

I don't believe someone's license should automatically be taken away because of age. Older people have far fewer accidents than young men for example. It would be good to initiate mandatory driving tests at license renewal time however. Also make license renewal yearly for people over 70.

I'm hoping the poor man is ok, too. What a terrible thing to happen.
All In

AOL

#13 Feb 11, 2008
Rita in Oz wrote:
<quoted text>
You OBVIOUSLY don't know this woman. NOBODY tells her anything much less insist on driving her anywhere. This is, however, her first accident and she's been driving over 50 years. Makes it harder to tell her not to drive. If they take her license away she will stop driving but that's the only way. This is a woman who is not mentally impaired and is healthy and has a good driving record.
I don't believe someone's license should automatically be taken away because of age. Older people have far fewer accidents than young men for example. It would be good to initiate mandatory driving tests at license renewal time however. Also make license renewal yearly for people over 70.
I'm hoping the poor man is ok, too. What a terrible thing to happen.
I am not opposed to your suggestion and I am in no way making a judgement against someone I do not know, I was in fact generalizing. I have been involved with an insurance company for many years, and although young men are responsible for the most fatal accidents, the elderly do have the majority of claims for accidents where they didn't check a blind spot, etc. reflex type reactions and such. Your idea is quite good, there should be stipulations and additional testing for renewals. I was not speaking about her directly, I do not know her, but sometimes people need to be less independent and more realistic when it comes to the safety of themselves and the public.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carrie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Buddy on Facebook Opressing Poor People 5 min Fran 9
Carlena Cayenne 5 min Cayenne 12
County election 2018 who's running for what? 6 min Races 134
Hazard city workers slug it out downtown 11 min yep 30
Bad teenage mothers 24 min now 50
Slone and Bates Law Firm 25 min Colonel Parker 1
Fallen King's MC (Sep '14) 34 min Basher 38

Carrie Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance