Smitty's Wife (Lois) INDICTED for 4 m...

Smitty's Wife (Lois) INDICTED for 4 million Bank Fraud

Posted in the Carrie Forum

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Newsflash

London, KY

#1 Feb 20, 2013
WKYT NEWS FEB 20, 2013

Lois Elaine Smith, 52, was indicted Thursday by a Covington grand jury for the charge of currency structuring.
The indictment alleges that Smith structured $4,044,180 by making deposits under $10,000 into a People’s Bank and Trust Company in Hazard.
Smith allegedly deposited this money from February 14, 2008 until June 5, 2010.
Under federal law, financial institutions such as banks are required to report to the federal government any currency deposit, withdrawal, or exchange over $10,000.
It is a violation of federal law to intentionally structure transactions in a way that avoids reporting requirements.
Kerry B. Harvey, United States Attorney for the Eastern District of Kentucky, and Christopher A. Henry, Special Agent in Charge, Internal Revenue Service, Criminal Investigation Division, jointly made the announcement Friday.
The investigation preceding the indictment was conducted by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
The indictment was presented to the grand jury by Assistant United States Attorney Robert K. McBride.
Smith’s appearance before the United States District Court has not yet been set by the Court in Covington.
If convicted, Smith faces a maximum penalty of 5 years in prison and a fine of $250,000.
Wow

London, KY

#6 Feb 20, 2013
I must say that I am not surprised but I'm still somehow disappointed in that family. I have bought my fruit stand goods from them for years but I declare that those days are now over. It would take a blind man to miss the fact that something with drugs has been going on for any one of them to make any money like that. It looks like someone's going to have to cough up some documentation as far as where the money came from. Surely, the rest of the family is involved and not just Lois. What was she thinking? DId she really think that she would get away with such things. It's just like Paul Michael Ison and Roy Campbell. If they can't get you for one thing (food stamp fraud in this case) which we've all heard of for years with Smitty's family, they'll get you another way.
OnWhoKnows

London, KY

#8 Feb 20, 2013
Everybody knows where the money came from. I for one have a family member who knows exactly what they do. They don't get their hands dirty. Smitty and the boys grow marijuana in another county, they harvest it and get rid of it immediately. The other profits are made from drug runs. They haul vegetables as a front for it and they get big cuts for the risk taking. My family has known about it for years. There's no denying it. Smitty, Lois, Carl, Rhonda, Kenny and Ginger all know about everything that goes on. The details for haunt you, especially after most of them walk around wearing skirts and long hair. What a sick joke huh.
Holly

Watertown, MA

#9 Feb 20, 2013
Until each of you does your own investigation, keep your negativity and unfounded claims to yourselves. These people have worked hard every day of their lives. They own far more businesses and properties than just a fruit stand. "These people" are good people. Hiding behind your computer and discussing the Smith family and their children is absolutely appalling. It is my hope that you are ashamed of yourselves. Envy is an evil thing, as is judgment. Wouldn't it be nice to be self-made millionaires like the Smiths? My guess is you aren't, and you certainly won't get there while sitting in your onlynmoderately comfortable desk chairs gossiping and overdosing on OxyContin.
Backup Plan

London, KY

#10 Feb 20, 2013
What's their backup plan? NOw that the cover is blown, the Feds are coming down on them hard. Feds don't fool around if they don't have enough to nail you with. I also heard from the bankers that all of the above mentioned family members made deposits to that account, not just Lois. I'm sure they'll be the first to volunteer themselves when the questioning begins (yeah right). What are those idiots going to do for a living now. They've ruined their reputation in this county. According to the thread that has been removed, people suggested running them out of town. Maybe it's a good idea. We don't need trash like this in our community. Can you believe these people actually owned a church? Can you say NON PROFIT organization? SUre these are things we can all do but we choose not to. It's taken me 5 years to make 4 million. I spent most of it already. Good news is, I won't be in prison for the next 5 years either. None of them have anything to fall back on. They all, and I mean all, work at a single fruit stand (that's open 4 months a year) and a rinky dink gas station. They might make 50K in a year. SPlit it four ways.
RumorHasIt

London, KY

#11 Feb 20, 2013
I heard they all get a medical card for themselves and their kids. A friend of mine said they saw one of the daughter in laws using a food stamp card at the grocery store.
RumorHasIt

London, KY

#12 Feb 20, 2013
Holly wrote:
Until each of you does your own investigation, keep your negativity and unfounded claims to yourselves. These people have worked hard every day of their lives. They own far more businesses and properties than just a fruit stand. "These people" are good people. Hiding behind your computer and discussing the Smith family and their children is absolutely appalling. It is my hope that you are ashamed of yourselves. Envy is an evil thing, as is judgment. Wouldn't it be nice to be self-made millionaires like the Smiths? My guess is you aren't, and you certainly won't get there while sitting in your onlynmoderately comfortable desk chairs gossiping and overdosing on OxyContin.
Sure we can all join the oxycontin pipeline and run drugs like Smitty, Kenny and Carl but most of choose to get an education and work for a living. In fact, we make a better living that they do. I don't use a food stamp card at the grocery store either. LOL Get your facts straight. They're the people shuffling oxycontin. You think renting a few apartments and a fruit stand makes millions. HA, if that was the case, I'd be doing it for a living. Maybe in NYC, but not in Hazard. You obviously don't live around here. I'm sure they appreciate you giving them the benefit of the doubt but everyone in this town is very clear on how they make a living.
Food Stamps

London, KY

#14 Feb 20, 2013
They don't just buy pop and resell it from all of the food stampers, they buy food stamp cards too. That's probably why you see them all using the red white and blue card at the grocery store.
Wondering

London, KY

#15 Feb 20, 2013
I don't think they just buy the food stamp cards. I think they all get food stamps and medical cards because they have no official income. Remember, nobody in the family works. They just take care of that run down gas station in Airport Gardens they used to call the car wash.
Wildcats

Watertown, MA

#16 Feb 20, 2013
The prosecution has the obligation to prove each element of the offense beyond a reasonable doubt. Indicted does not mean guilty. Withhold your judgment.
Beyonddoubt

London, KY

#17 Feb 20, 2013
Wildcats wrote:
The prosecution has the obligation to prove each element of the offense beyond a reasonable doubt. Indicted does not mean guilty. Withhold your judgment.
It's no different than being acquitted after having been charged with murder instead of manslaughter. It doesn't mean your not guilty. 2+2??? Open your eyes as well or play dumb if you like.
Maybe

London, KY

#18 Feb 20, 2013
Oh boy if she was going to trial for all that they REALLY do she'd be getting life. That have been guilty of tax evasion for years. Hello People, I'd be a millionaire too if I didn't pay 35% of my income to the Federal Govt to pay for their sorry a double ss's a medical and food stamp card. At the same time, I should be grateful that I can sleep at night and not worry the police are going to bust me at some gas station everyday. What a life those kind of people live. Most of us just aren't willing to allow ourselves to do these type things. We have reputations to uphold and a legacy for our families and children to be left behind. These folks must be living just for today, not worrying what their community thinks about them. Obviously their children are already following in their footsteps
Seriously

Grand Rapids, MI

#19 Feb 20, 2013
Why do you people think you can be the judge and jury. Innocent until PROVEN guilty! If you were as educated as you say, you would understand and respect the process. you would not crucify someone for being accused of a crime that you know nothing about. Shame on all Of you. These people work 18 plus hours a day, nights, weekends and holidays. I don't expect any of you to retract your negative, envious statements, because its clear you are all overly excited to see kind, hard working, honest people be put through a horrific ordeal over accusations.Regarding the teachers comments, maybe you should take this opportunity to teach your students what a persons legal rights are, and that a person is presumed innocent until proven guilty. Instead of gossiping in the hallways and classroom. God help all of you,
Agree

Watertown, MA

#20 Feb 20, 2013
Seriously wrote:
Why do you people think you can be the judge and jury. Innocent until PROVEN guilty! If you were as educated as you say, you would understand and respect the process. you would not crucify someone for being accused of a crime that you know nothing about. Shame on all Of you. These people work 18 plus hours a day, nights, weekends and holidays. I don't expect any of you to retract your negative, envious statements, because its clear you are all overly excited to see kind, hard working, honest people be put through a horrific ordeal over accusations.Regarding the teachers comments, maybe you should take this opportunity to teach your students what a persons legal rights are, and that a person is presumed innocent until proven guilty. Instead of gossiping in the hallways and classroom. God help all of you,
Agreed.
facts

Somerset, KY

#21 Feb 20, 2013
Please everyone let's leave the children out of ALL these comments
Teacher

London, KY

#22 Feb 20, 2013
I don't specialize in tax fraud, forgery and drug smuggling but I feel sorry for the Smith children. Come on people, the children can't even have some people come over and play with them because people know their parents run a drug smuggling business. To be so offended by my gossiping you ALL seem to be here for the same reasons. Pot calling the kettle black?
Agree

Watertown, MA

#23 Feb 20, 2013
facts wrote:
Please everyone let's leave the children out of ALL these comments
Yes, how pitiful to involve children in these matters. Especially an educator. That a teacher at a local school would involve him/herself in gossip about the students is despicable.
Agree

Watertown, MA

#24 Feb 20, 2013
RumorHasIt wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure we can all join the oxycontin pipeline and run drugs like Smitty, Kenny and Carl but most of choose to get an education and work for a living. In fact, we make a better living that they do. I don't use a food stamp card at the grocery store either. LOL Get your facts straight. They're the people shuffling oxycontin. You think renting a few apartments and a fruit stand makes millions. HA, if that was the case, I'd be doing it for a living. Maybe in NYC, but not in Hazard. You obviously don't live around here. I'm sure they appreciate you giving them the benefit of the doubt but everyone in this town is very clear on how they make a living.
An educated person should know better than to discriminate against those whose life paths were different from their own. Also, if anyone "works" for a living, it's the Smith family.
NotSo

London, KY

#25 Feb 20, 2013
Seriously wrote:
Why do you people think you can be the judge and jury. Innocent until PROVEN guilty! If you were as educated as you say, you would understand and respect the process. you would not crucify someone for being accused of a crime that you know nothing about. Shame on all Of you. These people work 18 plus hours a day, nights, weekends and holidays. I don't expect any of you to retract your negative, envious statements, because its clear you are all overly excited to see kind, hard working, honest people be put through a horrific ordeal over accusations.Regarding the teachers comments, maybe you should take this opportunity to teach your students what a persons legal rights are, and that a person is presumed innocent until proven guilty. Instead of gossiping in the hallways and classroom. God help all of you,
I pay my hard earned taxes and I'm lucky not to have to work 18 hours a day or weekends. That being said, if they all worked 23/7 at a fruit stand and gas station they're not making millions. Lol it's a joke to even try selling that explanation. As someone said earlier, watering flowers don't pay millions and nobody reportedly won the lottery. That leaves truth to all of the rumors I once refuted. They are smuggling illegal drugs. The Feds know it, Unite knows it. There was a special meeting called about them in this county approx 1 year ago where an agent from the federal bureau attended about their food stamp fraud and tax evasion. They have after this long found enough hard evidence to prosecute. What's worse is that all 6 of them are in on it, not just Lois. I hate to break your bubbles people but this money is being made from selling drugs to our communities children, maybe some of yours now or in the future, it's taking food stamps from hungry children and turning it into cash for drug purchasing (those that they are supplying of course). You can refuse to believe what you're reading but it's the truth my friend. The truth will stand when the world is in fire. This goes without saying how pathetic these people are after claiming their righteousness and building their own little family church years ago. Of course we all know that it's a non profit org and was built for none other than tax fraud. The Feds investigated the Smith's in 2005 and couldn't find enough paper trail to make an example out of them. I guess the party's over isn't it.
Agree

Watertown, MA

#26 Feb 20, 2013
Teacher wrote:
I don't specialize in tax fraud, forgery and drug smuggling but I feel sorry for the Smith children. Come on people, the children can't even have some people come over and play with them because people know their parents run a drug smuggling business. To be so offended by my gossiping you ALL seem to be here for the same reasons. Pot calling the kettle black?
Some are here in support of this family. You are not. Their children are perfectly happy and well-adjusted socially The notion that the children play with no other children is completely false. Teacher, please go work on a lesson plan to improve the academic lives of these children you claim to care so much about.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carrie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
too many gay people (Aug '11) 13 min Truth Teller 2
haunted places in hazard? (Jul '10) 36 min Belle 112
Ashley stidham and Mark smith 1 hr David 22
Males who are known for cheating. 1 hr Misty 7
Impeach Matt Bevin 1 hr Ozzy 48
Nathan Calhoun 1 hr Curious 1
True love never dies 1 hr Misty 40

Carrie Jobs

Personal Finance

Carrie Mortgages