Pingrove Grove charter school takes a look back after tumultuou...

Full story: Chicago Tribune

When the first developer-backed charter school in Illinois opened its doors last fall, students encountered colorful atriums instead of drab hallways.
Comments
1 - 4 of 4 Comments Last updated Jan 9, 2012
CommonGoal

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2008

I wish this had encampassed more, but thank you for writing it at all.
CommonGoal

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2008

They were promised...

"When the first developer-backed charter school in Illinois opened its doors last fall, students encountered colorful atriums instead of drab hallways. Every classroom had an outdoor patio, and each child was promised a backpack gadget designed to record attendance."

Now there is no hint of students work anywhere in the halls. It has been told by Mr. Fuhrer, that the school has to remain drab and boring, institutional, so he can "rent out the space". Teachers were also told they had to remove all their personal belongings and never bring them back, decorations included. What a great guy...
He couldn't afford to give them the needed tools for curriculum, and most teachers paid out of pocket for their lessons. SO where will the money to make the classroom atmosphere come from? No where we guess.

I wonder if Larry's son, a Principal, agrees with the sterile, and aggressive enviornment his father has created. How proud he must be...
Lucy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2011

Judged:

The newly assigned 1st African American Principal under the auspices of Larry Fuhrer has been placed on administrative leave after her refusal to resign after one (1) month of service. Rumor has it, that because she chose to exercise her, Freedom of Speech, she has been targeted by Larry Fuhrer. All three of the experienced administrators,(one a recent superintendent) hired by Fuhrer have been given no autonomy in running their school. None of the new administrators were informed of this prior to hiring. Fuhrer controls all traditional tasks generally performed by the Principal, including teacher evaluation, and creation of teacher schedules. Oh, they are allowed to do student discipline, as there are no disciplinarians hired for this task. Also, they were warned that anyone who does not speak as he wants them to, or speaks out of order by his standards will be fired. One of the teachers who is currently on maternity leave has been placed on remediation after she responded to a survey for the start of the year professional development session whereby she only exercised her freedom of speech rights, but was penalized by Fuhrer in spite of her excellent record at Cambridge Lakes Charter School. As`a result of Fuhrers need to, "control even though he has no background in education...the school has been a disaster since the start of the school year. Teacher morale is very low, as Fuhrer has also instituted a clause in their contracts, stating that if anyone finds a job during the year they will have to pay $5000. The students are also suffering from Fuhrers need to micro-manage with no background in education. The students in grades 1-2 have to endure up to seven (7) different teachers during the day in grades 1-2. Although, parents and teachers have voiced their disagreement with this, Fuhrer has ignored all voices, except his own. There is also a shortage of teachers. One of the unique qualities of a charter school is small class size. Classes at Cambridge Lakes average 24-29 students. Where is the advantage here. Also in spite of the teacher shortage and student class size, Fuhrer is seeking approval from the Cambridge Lakes Board to build a $400,000 facility in Naperville where his personal address is located. The parents of the students at Cambridge Lakes are asked to pay a fee of $120. to be a member of the Board of Education, but they receive no voting rights....this is unheard of. Also,Pingree Grove will not benefit from this property. It is clear the focus at Cambridge Lakes Charter School IS NOT students. It is Larry Fuhrer and his need to control. The Cambridge Lakes Board of Education needs to take action to remove this man and focus on their real reason for being there, "the needs of the students. Parents need to reach out to their state legislatures to change charter school laws to reflect, "the needs of teh students. This is a sad commentary for the students, teachers and parents at Cambridge Lakes Charter School.
cambridge lakes parent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2012

I have 3 children enrolled at the charter school and we love it. But the reason we love it is because of the professionalism and outstanding commitment the teachers there exhibit. Many of us parents are aware how out of touch mr fuher is with the needs and daily goings on of the students/school ....he has a vision of some sort that seems out of touch with reality. But the teachers are tuned into us parents....mr pearce the new principal is simply amazing! His energy, positive attitude and availability to parents is commendable. His interaction with the students is Amazing! His attitude of "can do" is infectious and I think he has single handedly raised morale among the staff. So if mr fuher is responsible for hiring mr pearce...well then he deserves some credit. All 3 of my kids love mr pearce and they can tell he loves his job.(So do the parents). He has inspired the students and parents to come together with the coin drive and tie dye event among others. Because of mr pearces availability and approachability ...more parents are getting involved at the school and volunteering. The teachers are not without credit for this as well. My husband and I are both involved in education and the teachers at clcs are among the best! There simply are not enough words to thank them for ALL they do! It is my hope mr fuhuer gives credit where credit is due....enrollment going up each year is due to the reputation of the teaching staff....word spreads and its spreading like crazy.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Carpentersville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Carpentersville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••